Page 28 of 61 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    And on the flip side, that left edge defensive combination probably not going so well ... lol
    Haha was thinking the exact same thing! Never had a problem scoring.. hope they have worked hard on defense!

First Grader

To be fair I didn't really notice any of the first graders on that left edge, looked like it was De Groot at FB too? The sides they run seem to be very random, I noticed Pahulu in the attacking side in that clip.

On a different note, does everyone expect that only 1 of Randall and Clark will be in the 17? They're a very similar body shape so it's hard to imagine Des carrying both small forwards, in my opinion Randall should be there even though Clark was looking good before his injury too.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...86a-1706518477

I can’t access this but I bet it’s either Drongos scum Badel or Drongos Scum Meyne trying to cause us drama.
    Hasler needs to exterminate these Murdoch weasels.

First Grader

Titans teenage monster Alex Leapai Jr is weighing up quitting the Gold Coast and a lucrative NRL contract in his quest to become the heavyweight champion of the world.

**This masthead** can reveal the 120kg young gun - the son of former world-title challenger Alex Leapai Sr - is considering walking away from his Titans contract to finish what his father started in boxing.

Such is his frightening strength and power, Leapai Jr was squatting 165kg in the gym as a 13-year-old as he began his journey in rugby league.

In April, the Titans pulled off a schoolboy coup by snaring Leapai Jnr on a three-year deal, winning his signature ahead of six NRL rivals, including Sydney glamour club the Roosters.

The powerhouse prop is one of the best young forwards in the country and has steamrolled opponents playing for his school team Mabel Park High.

But just nine months after committing to the Titans, Leapai Jr is having second thoughts about pursuing a career in the NRL as he looks to one day emulate British legend Tyson Fury by winning the heavyweight world title.

Leapai Jr will take his first serious steps in the fight game on Tuesday, when he announces his professional debut against Joe Ageli (2-1) on a card in Adelaide on April 3 that will be headlined by former AFL stars.

The Titans will be desperate to retain Leapai Jr’s services but his boxing trainer Noel Thornberry says the hulking prop is Australian boxing’s most exciting heavyweight talent in 50 years.

“Looking at this kid, I believe he can be heavyweight champion of the world,” said Thornberry, who guided Leapai Sr in his world-title loss to Wladimir Klitschko in Germany in 2014.

“Alex Jr is a monster and if he doesn’t win the world title, I believe he will at least get the opportunity to fight for one like his dad did.

“I think Alex is leaning towards going to boxing over rugby league.

“I’ve sat down with Alex and his old man and they basically feel the heavyweight world title belongs at their house.

“His dad went a long way in boxing and as Alex says, he wants to finish what his dad started.

“I have been training Alex since he was a young boy and you don’t see boxing like this very often in your lifetime.

“This is one of the most exciting stories in Australian boxing.”

The former Sydney Roosters scholarship holder is passionate about rugby league, but juggling NRL and professional boxing commitments is next to impossible.

The Titans rising star was eligible to become a pro boxer on November 26, when he celebrated his 18th birthday.

And should Leapai Jr decide to formally quit the Titans, he could have the mentoring services of British heavyweight icon ‘Gypsy King’ Fury, who once declared Leapai Sr as the hardest puncher he had ever seen.

“I don’t think there’s many fighters in the world as powerful as him, I honestly don’t,” Thornberry said.

“Tyson Fury once said Alex Leapai Senior was the hardest puncher in the heavyweight division and Alex already has that power and in time, I’d say he will hit harder than his dad.

“I’ve held the pads for both guys and Alex junior is just a bigger version of his dad.

“He is 120kg at the moment and he is six foot four at 18 years of age. He could still grow some more.”

While the top players in the NRL can earn upwards of $1 million a season, the best heavyweights in the world can easily pocket in excess of $20 million.

“I haven’t had any dialogue with the Titans but if Alex wanted to choose boxing full-time, I will support him fully,” Thornberry said.

“We’ve sat down and looked at the stats for an NRL player.

“The average NRL player’s career is only 52 matches, which is basically two or three seasons.

“We’ve already had good offers in boxing that equal what he can earn as a rookie in the NRL.

“Ordinarily, if a kid can get an NRL contract, I would encourage them to grab it with both hands, but Alex can be something special in boxing.

“I have vision of Alex three weeks before his 14th birthday ... he was squatting 165kg 15 times. His dad ran over and said stop doing that you will hurt yourself.

“Alex said why it’s not even that heavy.

“I couldn’t believe it.

“One pro, David Nyika, who watched Alex spar two years ago said that kid is the scariest 16-year-old on the planet.

“Boxing is in great shape worldwide and Alex could easily slot into the sport and become a serious contender one day.

“But he needs to get active straight away and I want eight fights for him in the next 12 months.

“If he chooses boxing full-time, he will have the best people in his corner.

“I’ve got ties with Tyson Fury and Joseph Parker (former Kiwi world champion) so we could certainly turn to Tyson and Joe for some mentoring.”

Lol was Thirnberry expecting dialogue from the Titans?

Quote Originally Posted by The Birdman View Post
    Lol was Thirnberry expecting dialogue from the Titans?
    Lol ... Badel chasing some background info on the kid after seeing the trial posts and his nuffy trainer has a shot at protecting his job.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Well the Alex Leapai project was fun while it lasted (about 6 months). Good luck to him in his pursuit of being a world class boxer. Tough industry to make $$ in.

Might be worth mentioning - Alex has had 2x concussions in the last 12 months. One while playing with Mabel, one during NRL pre-season. Since he's still so young, maybe this played into his decision (to go full time in a sport where you literally get punched in the head yes)

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Well the Alex Leapai project was fun while it lasted (about 6 months). Good luck to him in his pursuit of being a world class boxer. Tough industry to make $$ in.

Might be worth mentioning - Alex has had 2x concussions in the last 12 months. One while playing with Mabel, one during NRL pre-season. Since he's still so young, maybe this played into his decision (to go full time in a sport where you literally get punched in the head yes)
    I see it as alot of fluff, the trainer mentions he knows 'Tyson Fury'. And how NRL players only average 52 matches. What about how many proper paid fights proffesional boxers get to have? From google 'Most fighters only have about 4 to 5 fights per year, making them on average about $30,000 – $38,000 annually,'. And i couldn't find information about averages.

First Grader

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-20...e-c5a5490d5324 - It's official.

"I'm going to step away from the NRL dream, I'm on a mission," he told The Sydney Morning Herald.

"It took a lot of independent thinking ... it was a hard decision, so I just started praying on it and one day I woke up and felt like hitting the bag. That's when I knew my heart said boxing.
    Heavyweight boxing has changed a bit moneywise due to the Saudis getting heavily involved and the heavyweight division is thinning out due to age, If I was him I'd do the same. His paydays could pretty quickly grow if the connections are true and he is a good prospect and Australia rarely has them at heavyweight. His name will make a difference in how he's promoted as well so he wouldn't be on the average wage compared to other prospects.

Good luck to him, Sounds like his heart is set on boxing. I'm not sure if this kid wouldn't become to big to play in the NRL these days, He's already pushing it for size. Gives us a chance to focus on the other kids and see who can earn the developmental he had for 2025.

If it fails, he can start working with the Kinahans like Parker and Fury.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 30-01-24 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hungryjacks View Post
    I see it as alot of fluff, the trainer mentions he knows 'Tyson Fury'. And how NRL players only average 52 matches. What about how many proper paid fights proffesional boxers get to have? From google 'Most fighters only have about 4 to 5 fights per year, making them on average about $30,000 – $38,000 annually,'. And i couldn't find information about averages.
    Yeah, it's a bold move.

Has been confirmed he's gone though. Updated CM article from today with quote from Alex. We'll see how he goes.

I don’t know what’s worse
    A-losing this potential superstar
    B-Badel being right

Well I just hope he has a proper crack at it.

He not leaving on bad terms I am sure if he doesn’t do well the door will be ajar for a return

Yep and good luck to him. Badel didn’t quite get it right but whatever, as long as he doesn’t come back as a ‘Pony.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

First Grader

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7EE...750ceba5e745e3 - Thought this was pretty funny starting at 32.30ish.

Apparently "someone" started a rumour that there was drama at the club last week that went around the journalists I guess, Chammas looked into it and found out it was complete BS and basically told Read to not to mention it because it was fake.

I wonder who would've done that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    Heavyweight boxing has changed a bit moneywise due to the Saudis getting heavily involved and the heavyweight division is thinning out due to age, If I was him I'd do the same. His paydays could pretty quickly grow if the connections are true and he is a good prospect and Australia rarely has them at heavyweight.
    Anyone else getting back into training?