Page 48 of 61 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 58 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    I am a bit bemused by the commentary on the Titans attack. The narrative seems to be that we have plenty of points in us but we need to work on our defence and that Des was going to fix it. I have seen quotes from Des saying that he wasn’t going to change the attack much as he has bought the narrative.
    I think we have the ability to score off the cuff points and long range tries but our options inside the opposition 30 are awful. We just hit it up and then bomb. If Des is happy with our attack then we had better start looking for a new messiah.
    I think his point was that he was happy with our attack last year, which Jimmy looks after for the most part, so didn't want to go changing anything. Which is fair enough I thought - we could score against anyone.

For mine our 9/6/7/1 look to all be on a different page as to what we're trying to achieve in good ball.

Last year, we depended almost purely on individual brilliance rather than shape plus our ends of sets were worse than diabolical.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Last year, we depended almost purely on individual brilliance rather than shape plus our ends of sets were worse than diabolical.
    I thought our shape was pretty good last year. The way Fifita was used on and off ball was brilliant. Nothing wrong with playing to your strengths. Holbrook had his flaws but he could coach scoring points.

We still scored the 10th most points in the comp in spite of our D, beltings and lack of good ball possession. And with what most regard as a bottom 3 halfback in the comp.

I must have a selective memory but I feel we started well then fell into the "pass it to the star player" model when our 6th tackle options dropped to zero. But that's last year, we seem to have started in reverse and the 'Dogs game will be very interesting.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Personally I think our shape is fine too, what really is lacking is execution of game plan in attack. We dont execute the gameplay to a high degree, elements like kicking to the corner and other high percentage plays. I think the way our forwards having been coming onto the ball has been poor for a long time too compared to other teams.

Rep Player

Someone else said Tanah is standing too deep and it's giving the defence too much time to rush up and shut down our plays. I agree with that.

we shouldn't discount AJ at 6:

https://youtu.be/O02mMafZwRw?t=127

Or maybe JC at 6:

https://youtu.be/wf7-ydCsXhk?t=148

Seriously we have options, especially now with Kini learning his trade at fullback.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 16-03-24 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    we shouldn't discount AJ at 6:

https://youtu.be/O02mMafZwRw?t=127

Or maybe JC at 6:

https://youtu.be/wf7-ydCsXhk?t=148

Seriously we have options, especially now with Kini learning his trade at fullback.
    Some of JC’s ball playing and kicking game last year was well ahead of what I expected he’d produce at 5/8. Can goal kick too. Good shout GT

Keano is so ridiculously early in his career trajectory and the fact he’s even playing NRL as a fullback at his age is really uncommon. For perspective - at the same age, JC was running around for the Burleigh Bears U21 side. AJ was playing U20’s for the Titans. Keano has already played a full year in Qcup straight out of school, and by the end of the year was the best on field in a losing side in a GF. Even a guy like Fa’alogo at the storm who is considered a “young” breakout fullback, is two years older than Keano. Just to give some perspective on what we’re working with from a development timeline perspective.

Back to JC and AJ - and we’re playing crystal ball a bit here, who’s got the best skillset to transition to 7 if they had to?

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Some of JC’s ball playing and kicking game last year was well ahead of what I expected he’d produce at 5/8. Can goal kick too. Good shout GT

Keano is so ridiculously early in his career trajectory and the fact he’s even playing NRL as a fullback at his age is really uncommon. For perspective - at the same age, JC was running around for the Burleigh Bears U21 side. AJ was playing U20’s for the Titans. Keano has already played a full year in Qcup straight out of school, and by the end of the year was the best on field in a losing side in a GF. Even a guy like Fa’alogo at the storm who is considered a “young” breakout fullback, is two years older than Keano. Just to give some perspective on what we’re working with from a development timeline perspective.

Back to JC and AJ - and we’re playing crystal ball a bit here, who’s got the best skillset to transition to 7 if they had to?
    Why would any of them need to transition to a 7 though? I still have faith that Weaver should be our 7 long-term. I know he's young and he hasn't exactly set the world on fire but let's be real, he's barely been given a chance (in fact he's never been given a chance at 7 because of Boyd stinkin' it up at 7). It's BS that people are already judging him from such a tiny sample size.

I agree re: Kini. I love what I've seen of him so far (and that includes some of the qcup games from last year). I really think he should be persisted with.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 16-03-24 at 08:02 AM.

First Grader

JCs game awareness made a good jump so I'm not to concerned about the organizing part and I think his skillset would translate really well at 7. JC getting the ball first instead of whatever crap we're doing now sounds way more entertaining at least, He'd draw defenders just being around the ball which would free up everything which looks like a potential issue with no running threat in the halves, JC is the opposite of that. I want him learning with Foz as much as possible as well so the sooner the better thanks Dessie.

I don't think anyones judging Weaver off his skillset or heart, His size is the major concern.

One thing is for certain
    Boyd needs to be a minimum pay depth half/hooker who spends his time mainly playing for Ipswich or Tweed.
    Give Weaver the 7 jersey Fulltime now and prepare JC’s game off the field (goalkicking, general kicking, playmaking) for when Foz retires which I think should be this year given he’s got calf issues.

Rep Player

I agree with Bods :O

I really hoped for more from Boyd but I have to agree with that too.

I can also see the possibility of JC at 7 and AJ at 6. If we have good players outside them, there'd be attacking threat everywhere. But that's at least a year or two away.
    Last edited by MaroonTitan; 16-03-24 at 12:30 PM.

Jojo in at centre for Tweed today. Very interested to see how he goes

First Grader

AJ has already proven himself as a 6 as he was very good in this position in 2022 so the lead in time to transition would be minimal if we transitioned him next year after Foz.

The issue is then the 7 between JC and Weaver. (If none of them make the grade this year then go to market). IMO JC has a far higher ceiling than Weaver (significantly faster, better short ball skills, better attacking skillset) and has equal ability in general and goal kicking and defence. Also Weaver is fairly small and really needs to possess high quality skills to compensate. JC had a couple of opportunities last year at the 7 and i thought he acquitted himself quite well and I would be having him learning this position this year and if it works out, we will have a ready made half pairing of AJ and JC for 2025. This would also have leaving Kini at the 1 position this year as well as he has outstanding potential.

Yes Weaver has not had a real go but we are now into our 3rd year without a decent halfback and tough decisions need to be made this year. I just dont see Weaver being in the top 8 halves in the comp whereas I see JC having such potential and moulding his game similar to Hughes with his running game.
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 16-03-24 at 01:58 PM.