Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Wow the club handled this very professionally compared to what the dragons done in which a lot of journos out there are saying the titans have done a great job and to keep this under wraps is massive and shows the stability of the management of the club.
    I do feel for holbrook but he has had time and now the resources I just hope the players are on board as I know holbrook was a favourite with the players around how he managed his team and individuals

I will say that I think Holbrook seems like a genuinely nice guy and I'm sure he worked his backside off for the club. I just don't think he was the right guy for this job or possibly the NRL.

I wish him success in his future endeavours. I'm sure he will at minimum do well again over in the Super League.

Jimmy lenihan you god you get the back half of the season to shock the league

I’ll be screaming red wall at the tv every week and maybe live too

Could be out Neil Henry to Paul Green premiership moment credit to Holbrook the players love him and he's built a talented young side but can't go to that next premiership level hopefully des can toughen the guys up

Few things:

- Definitely liked the direction the club was heading under Holbrook, our juniors have never been stronger, our off-field has been terrific, we have been making solid signings in the last 12 or so months, definitely more of a wholesome feeling around the club as far as roster goes now (ie great character guys, none of the stone cold corporate feel of 10 years or so back of past-their-prime journeyman looking to retire on the beach), think we're a more respectable brand aswell all things considered. Was pretty vocal about not being on board the 'Fire Holbrook' train, however recently we had to do something, the capitulations were f__kin crazy.

- Think we've made this move halfway through the season to lock Des down more than anything, with NSW looking likely to sack Freddy, Shane Flanagan off the market and also the likes of Adam O'Brien sitting tight under Democles' sword I think we snapped up the best bet on the market instead of waiting around for a few more months.

- Really, really like how quiet we are in the media these days, wether its the out-of-nowhere signings (Schoupp and Maumalo come to mind), and now with this coaching movement, it's clear the Titans are just going about their business now which is terrific to see.

- Des Hasler. Had a quick look at his coaching career and holy hell, from the years 2005-2016 he never missed the finals, including 5 appearances in the GF, 2 premierships, in 2021 going to the preliminary final, so far pretty happy with this hire on paper, solid bet on a proven winner.

- Thanks Holbrook for the effort, genuinely a good coach and will have a spot in the NRL somewhere, but god I wonder where he'd be if Patrick Herbert just passed that damn ball. Regardless, thanks Justin.
    Last edited by NZTITAN; 22-06-23 at 02:58 PM.

Just catching up on this, far out what a day

On Justin - he took us a fair way from where we were in a number of facets and created a positive culture in what was a pretty negative environment at the time. I can recognise and am thankful for that as a fan. The decision came quick and before I expected but they obv worked a replacement out before making the call.

What Mal mentions about defensive measurables is completely valid and even though the intent was there to improve it in the pre-season, it didn’t translate enough. Which is why I’ve always thought this years second half/defensive capitulations would be viewed differently. Club management responded accordingly without a single leak to the media which in itself is a feat. On Mal’s comments in their entirety - what an idiot. Really taints the good things he has done in the recruitment space for us.

Pleased to see Jimmy given the chance to take the reigns for the rest of the year.

On Des - I’m really not sure what to expect. I know he’s got a reputation for his coaching style and has accolades there, but Manly were not a strong defensive side for the years near the end of his tenure. I’m interested to see how he approaches his roster building process as well. Guess we can expect Foz to go around for ‘24 too? It’s not the coaching hire I expected but I’m also not going to bag it before he’s been given a chance.

Thank you and all the best Justin.

Welcome to the Titans Des.

Betting Holbrook ends up at the roosters back with robinson

First Grader

Welll Mal and Justin are some salty boys, watch the media criticise us for this

Psmitty

Cya Big Fella. You won’t be missed. Thanks for getting Fifita here though.
    Give his money to Gordie, who I understand is in an unpaid role with the club.

Rep Player

Foran’s revenge for benching him

NRL 2023: Justin Holbrook reveals inside story of how Gold Coast Titans ‘sacked’ him
    Just hours after being dumped by the Titans, a “gutted” Justin Holbrook has revealed how the morning unfolded. READ THE INSIDE STORY HERE
    Peter Badel
    and
    Travis Meyn
    7 min read
    June 22, 2023 - 3:32PM
    News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
    52 comments

You just watched
    BREAKING: Holbrook OUT, Hasler IN for Gold Coast Titans!
    Watch again

NRL: In a bombshell coaching move the Gold Coast Titans have parted ways with Justin Holbrook with former Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler set to take over the top job.
    NRL

A “gutted” Justin Holbrook says he didn’t see his sacking coming at the Titans and has spoken of his bitter disappointment at the Gold Coast’s clandestine move to appoint Des Hasler behind his back.
    The stunning knifing of Holbrook came as the NRL Immortal who appointed him, Titans senior advisor Mal Meninga, sensationally blasted the club over a termination that has plunged the Gold Coast into crisis.

Breaking his silence on his swift dismissal, Holbrook said he is in a state of shock over having his Titans contract torn up ahead of Gold Coast’s derby clash against the Broncos on Sunday.

“I just can’t believe it, I feel awful. Totally gutted,” Holbrook said.

“I did not see this coming at all, that’s what I am pissed off about.

“I could understand if they said, ‘Look you have three games or whatever time period to do something’, but to be moved on like this, I’m still coming to terms with it.

“If they were a bit more open about the way things were heading, I would have been able to digest this, but it’s hit me out of the blue.”

The sacking was so sudden Holbrook and his management had no idea change was afoot at Parkwood until the Titans coach was summoned to a 9am meeting on Thursday morning with club CEO Steve Mitchell.

Mitchell delivered the bullet instantly - ending Holbrook’s 82-game reign at the Titans club he joined in 2020 after leading St Helens to a Super League premiership.

The Titans (6-7) are currently equal eighth with Parramatta and firmly in the finals race, but that wasn’t enough to save Holbrook after his fateful meeting with Mitchell.

“I had no inkling at all,” he said.

“Steve just called me in this morning and said, ‘Have you got a minute’.

“I went in for a meeting and he said, ‘We are going to terminate you as of right now’.

“I said, ‘Shivers, on what ... performance?’ I said, ‘Mate, I thought you would have given me a chance of getting the guys to the finals with our best players back’.

“Anyway, it was a waste of time talking. It wasn’t a negotiation. They had made up their mind.”

Asked if he felt king hit by the Titans, who have signed Hasler to a three-year deal, Holbrook said: “I don’t know if I was king hit. But I think it’s unfair with the opportunity we had at the back end of the year to make the finals.

“Would they have punted me if we were sitting second?

“Des Hasler hasn’t been coaching so there didn’t have to be any great urgency with him.

“I was looking forward to coaching against the Broncos on Sunday and why can’t I be given an opportunity with my best team to see how we go against Brisbane?

“Give me a chance.

“I have been sacked after a win.

“We are coming off a bye after a Titans win, so why would they tell me now?

“The only reason I can think is that we had beaten the Tigers and they felt well, we have to leave this a bit longer.

“If we were beaten by 50 by the Tigers, fair enough, but to not have the chance to finish off the season with my best players, it’s a bit mystifying.

“It’s all a bit raw at the moment.”

Kangaroos coach Meninga wasn’t consulted on the decision, driven largely by Mitchell and Titans co-owner Darryl Kelly, and has threatened to walk away from the Titans over the treatment of Holbrook.

“I didn’t know till today, obviously a little disappointing being a senior advisor there,” Meninga told SEN radio.

“I have no idea, I feel ostracised a little bit.

“Justin’s a great person and a great coach - I’m a little disappointed for him, because it can damage reputations, decisions like this, and I hope it doesn’t damage Justin’s reputation.

“I’ve got a bit of thinking to do about what I do in the future — I don’t envisage being part of the club moving forward.”

Titans CEO Steve Mitchell said Meninga was frozen out of the bombshell moves due to the sensitivity of negotiations but insisted he had a future at the club.

“It’s a highly sensitive matter, we’ve got obligations and confidence around that,” he said.

“We have to run the process very tightly and you can’t share that.

“With all due respect to Mal, we had to have a conversation with Justin. We wanted the highest level of respect for him through this process.

“He is a good man and good coach. We want to get him into a position where he can move forward and transition well.

“I think Mal’s got a future here, definitely, In what capacity, and how that looks, it’s hard.

“Mal is wonderful to work with. He is infectious, an Immortal, and brings so much to the organisation.

“I’ll chat with Mal over the coming week on that.”

Holbrook, who has won 31 of 82 games as coach for a 37.8 per cent success rate, genuinely believed the Titans were on the rise as a club after their bottom-four finish the previous season which put him under the pump.

“We’re hardly off the pace. We’re right in the mix to play finals,” he said.

“I haven’t had my best players on deck this year and we’re still in the mix for the finals.

“That’s what pisses me off. It’s not like we are dead and buried. If we don’t blow that game against the Dolphins (when they blew a 26-0 lead in round 8), we’re right up pushing for second spot.

“Last year was tough and we rectified that. We brought Kieran Foran and Sam Verrills to the club and if you want to judge as a club, look at the players who have made the Origin team this year. We’ve had four or five players picked in the Queensland squad.

“I was genuinely excited because finally I have got my best players back in Foran, Verrills and (AJ) Brimson, I thought we can compete with anyone and to not get the chance to make the finals, it’s bitterly disappointing.

“I convinced some blokes to stay here despite what happened last year.

“We re-signed David Fifita, he could have walked out and so could Jayden Campbell, but we kept them. If we lost them, I’d be thinking I’m in trouble here, but we’ve kept them because everyone knew the direction we were going in.

“I didn’t get a chance to see the players but to be honest it’s probably best that way, I wasn’t in the mood to speak to anyone.”

Holbrook said he hopes to continue his career in the NRL.

“I know it’s a performance business,” he said.

“I’m more disappointed that I don’t have a job coaching. I love the job, I love the players here and the football staff, the Titans are a great club.

“I love coaching, I want to stay in the NRL but I don’t know where I go from here.

“It’s all happened so quickly.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...5aeecf9b3843ec
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

First Grader

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2023/...teve-mitchell/

Great stuff from the CEO imo. Sounds like the board ended up thinking Holbrook was doing more harm then good to the group and still thinks the team this year can do some good things under Jimmy and Brett, Says 9th but with bye inflation isn't good enough.

He went after Des. The same staff will all be sticking around.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2023/...teve-mitchell/

Great stuff from the CEO imo. Sounds like the board ended up thinking Holbrook was doing more harm then good to the group and still thinks the team this year can do some good things under Jimmy and Brett, Says 9th but with bye inflation isn't good enough.

He went after Des. The same staff will all be sticking around.
    Did you read the post above yours? Doesn't sound very professional if you ask me.

But I disagree with Justin when he keeps using the excuse that we hadn't had our best team on the park. BS, every team except the Broncos have been hammered by injuries this year and haven't given up huge leads consistently like we have.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 22-06-23 at 04:34 PM.

It’s incredibly ruthless.

But I don’t think it’s unprofessional. Unprofessional would’ve been doing it the Dragons way. There isn’t really a nice way to go about it unfortunately.

Everyone has been calling for the club to not be complacent or accept mediocrity. Well there you go. This is what that looks like. Mitchell handled the situation well in that presser IMO.

I really feel for Justin. But as Mitchell said - they had expectations and measurables going into the season with the football squad that weren’t being met. Tough business.