Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Titslover View Post
    We would've won those games that you mentioned if Holbrook wasn't the coach. He is a great bloke but he's too friendly with the players and he doesn't demand respect and discipline, hence the blown leads. Also don't be fooled by our position on the ladder, we're the only team to have all 3 byes so that's 6 extra points. This season has been a big disappointment so far as the talent is clearly there but we haven't had the killer edge.
    This 100%.

I was going to joke that the board seeing Clark in the 17 in the team list this Tuesday was the last straw but it appears my hunch was correct that they'd been negotiating with Hasler on the quiet since the Rabbitohs game - somewhat verified by that Weidler tweet.

Holbrook might be a nice guy but it should come as no shock to him he was on borrowed time. He just hasn't improved the culture at all really in his almost 4 seasons at the club to justify him staying in the job.
    Last edited by The Birdman; 22-06-23 at 12:57 PM.

Immortal

I personally think that Justin Holbrook had us on the right path, I hope that he is not lost to the game.

First Grader

Meninga said that he was blindsided by the decision and believes it is unfair on Holbrook.

“I didn’t know until today which disappoints me a little bit,” Meninga said on SEN 1170.

“The club rang me this morning and I don’t know how to feel about it to be honest.

“It’s a huge decision in the middle of the year and we are on the precipice of the finals.

“They made a decision based on the measurements they employed over the off-season around their defence.

“(The board) felt we needed to look at the bigger picture.

“Justin is a great person so I’m obviously feeling a little disappointed for him.

“I hope it doesn’t damage Justin’s reputation.

“Hasler will be great for the club and there is no doubt about that,” he added.

“He is an experienced coach and will have his own way of doing things.

“He will have different support staff that he will bring in.

“I don’t envisage being part of the club moving forward.””
    Don't love this by Mal, Just say you support the club while also backing Holbrook. I think us fans find it unfair having to watch a decent team commit the same mistakes every other week and the coach not fix them.

Seems like he's out the door. Interesting that the club didn't seem to trust him with this info.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 22-06-23 at 01:11 PM.

First Grader

For Mal to say we are on the precipice of the finals is ridiculous. We are currently 13th if you base the table on the number of wins and we are 2 wins and a worse points differential from 8th.

Something had to give and at least Hasler will also be able to attract talent to the club.

Hopefully he is also invested in the Titans junior pathways programs.

Massive news. And lots of feelings. It is always tough to see someone lose their job and to move on from an organisation. I think we all agree that Justin is a lovely man and he had a lot of ideas right. I am happy that we gave him more time, even if it came at a cost. I didn't want to see our club as desperate and reactive. I wanted to see that we would be prepared to back a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    I personally think that Justin Holbrook had us on the right path, I hope that he is not lost to the game.
    I hope he remains in the game. And with his previous success, especially in Super League, I'm sure people will come knocking. If he just focuses on 3-4 key things that we kept talking about, he could vastly improve given a fresh slate. Thanks for your service, Justin.

And Des! I think he offers us so much. Especially as we want to build ourselves on our defence and heart. He has a history of making an impact. And he was involved in building that mysterious Manly spirit and knack for keep getting up despite the odds, post Northern Eagles era. We can also see that we need to build a Titans Spirit here.

I'm excited to have a coach who will give them a rev, wear his heart on his sleeve and maybe a boot.

I was also nearly totally uninspired with other options.

Once again, the club did well quietly working away and BANG.

But being an NRL coach? Must be an exceptionably hard job to do. We have even seen coaches win Premierships and then fall from grace. Tough business.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

This will either send us back ten years or move us into better space. If Meninga is not in the loop then what does that mean, do we lose Gordie too?

I'm a bit bent on this like most of us but two things I feel confident about: (1) BK will be feeling very nervous, along with a few more, and (2) Foz will have been deeply part of it no matter what comes out in the wash. I do hope we have strengthened the dressing room doors.

Good luck Coach Holbrook, I have no doubt you gave it all that you could.
    Last edited by Titanic; 22-06-23 at 01:24 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

There were no leaks because those with other agendas weren't told ... looking at you Mal.

I don't know if Hunt should be discussed in this conversation because Foz and Des are a couple so is it logical that Foz wants Hunt? probably not.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

It's a bit like politics at the top. There is going to be some relief from the slings and arrows of being in the chair. What ever happens after that, I'm sure we will all be wishing the best for him. He will have a chance to reboot and he is young. He also wasn't totally responsible for the state of the Titans, there were other factors including the players on the field. The wider football department (Although a new coach should be bringing/choosing his own team) and the lack of resources compared to other clubs. But he did make himself an easy target with some issues. But he can't be left as the scapegoat.

I feel he walks away with some legacy and ongoing contributions to the Titans. The player group during his tenure was close and happy. We signed and more importantly resigned some white hot talent such as DF. Our junior system is coming together and we blooded an unprecedented and exciting amount of local/junior players. He also had success with players form and improvement. We sure could score some points. He also seems to be a person who gives and keeps loyalty.

All that said, I think this was the right way forward. And I did shift my view on our coaching earlier this year after wanting a stay of execution last year, which we got. I felt this also sent a message to any future coach who works for us.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

First Grader

3 year deal for Des from 24 and Lenihan to take over as interim for this year according to Badel so take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 22-06-23 at 01:49 PM.

Hi everyone. Apologies if I've confused people with the new thread and post moves. They were in both the Signings and Season thread. And I thought we could make a new one. But feel free to discuss the far reaching news of Des' appointment where you see fit, because it has many knock on effects. But consider this thread for those initial reactions and broader discussion.

I like Justin and think he got us on the right track so for that I appreciate what he did.

Fox are saying Des is coming this year:

Hasler will now take over for the rest of the season and beyond, having been out of the game since his sacking in the wake of the Sea Eagles pride jersey saga.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...92cdf0720c7bfb
    Psmitty

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    I like Justin and think he got us on the right track so for that I appreciate what he did.

Fox are saying Des is coming this year:

Hasler will now take over for the rest of the season and beyond, having been out of the game since his sacking in the wake of the Sea Eagles pride jersey saga.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...92cdf0720c7bfb
    I only see 2024 and beyond?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    Don't love this by Mal, Just say you support the club while also backing Holbrook. I think us fans find it unfair having to watch a decent team commit the same mistakes every other week and the coach not fix them.

Seems like he's out the door. Interesting that the club didn't seem to trust him with this info.
    Meninga didn't like it, wasn't consulted about it and likely will be leaving the club. The news gets even better!

We would have come around personally to let you know Mal but its tough to justify the 2500 km round commute to you.

Don't let the (metaphorical) door hit you on the way out!
    Last edited by The Birdman; 22-06-23 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    I only see 2024 and beyond?
    Right underneath the Danny Weidler tweet it says it. Maybe they have it wrong but they have said it.
    Psmitty

Lenihan will be the head coach until the end of the year
    Bring back Kevin Gordon