Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    First Grader

I wonder whether next weeks 10+ supporters function where they talk about the clubs direction had anything to do with the timing of the announcement?

Anyway the event should be interesting in deed

First Grader

Another interview from this morning with Mitchell and more in depth about the decisions. We've all known that there's been big reviews into everything involving our football departments in the last 12 months, Seems like Holbrook and Mal were the only ones who didn't clue into that.

Sounds like the board got over telling the fans the club is making progress while constantly sitting in the bottom 8 or around it. I think Holbrooks comments about 2nd make a bit more sense because apparently there was a performance clause not met and they gave Holbrook every single chance.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 23-06-23 at 09:47 AM.

Make my weekend and release a statement saying we have mutually parted ways with Mal.

First Grader

CM

NRL 2023: How Gold Coast Titans kept Des Hasler coaching coup under wraps

In one of the best kept secrets in the history of rugby league, the Titans pulled off a massive coup to land proven winner Des Hasler. But just how did they keep it all under wraps?

One of the best kept secrets in the history of rugby league began on the morning of June 8.

I know the date because it was also the day News Corp broke news that former Manly coach Des Hasler had informed his management not to pursue the vacant St George Illawarra head coaching role.

Only now, do we know why.

It was on that Thursday - 14-days ago - that Titans CEO Steve Mitchell and chair Dennis Watt made contact with Hasler’s respected manager George Mimis.

The Titans leaders told Mimis they were flying to Sydney to meet him.

Mimis will later tell Hasler it was one of the most professional phone calls, which was layered with strategy, belief and respect for the two-time premiership winner, that he had fielded.

MAL, GORDIE DIDN’T KNOW

The entire Titans boardroom were across the approach to Hasler.

Yet nobody flinched.

Not even Jemma Elder, a passionate Titans director, resisted by confiding in her husband, Fox Sports commentator Gorden Tallis, about the stealth-like pitch to Hasler.

Big Gordie only began to learn of the potential for change last weekend.

Also without a hint was Titans senior advisor Mel Meninga, who only found out when the press did.

Meninga has stated he feels ostracised by the club for being left in the dark and is considering his on-going role with the club.

I didn’t know till today, obviously a little disappointing being a senior advisor there,” Meninga told SEN.

“I don’t know how I feel about it.

“I’ve got a bit of thinking to do about what I do in the future — I don’t envisage being part of the club moving forward.”

After meeting with Mimis, Mitchell and Watt organised a follow-up meeting with Hasler for the first time last weekend.

Hasler never flew to the Gold Coast. The Titans knew what they wanted and so they came directly to him.

It took the Titans management two weeks without anyone outside the four walls of the board knowing to do what the noisy Dragons took four months to achieve.

WHY HASLER?

The appointment of Hasler adds instant credibility to a club that has missed the finals on 12 occasions in the past 17-seasons.

He is the first coach in the Titans history that has been appointed with a proven model of premiership success.

It shows the club is serious about finally usurping big brother, the Brisbane Broncos, of whom they face this Sunday.

The Titans are tired of being the also-rans. They want to win premierships. Sacked coach Justin Holbrook wasn’t doing a bad job.

He just didn’t have what the board believed was premiership know-how.

They want more accountability after losses.

Under Hasler, they’ll get it.

BEN HUNT

The appointment of Hasler puts the Titans in the box seat to pinch Hunt, if he’s successful in obtaining a release from the Dragons.

Hunt has made it clear his priority is to return home for family reasons to Queensland.

A former champion playmaker himself, Hasler has a rich history of working with halves, including Jamie Lyon, Matt Orford, Daly Cherry-Evans, Kieran Foran and Trent Hodkinson.

Current Titans halves Tanah Boyd and Kieran Foran still have 2024 on-contract.

With 2024 likely to be Foran’s final season, would the Dragons entertain swapping Hunt for Boyd?

Hasler has proven he’s not afraid to make a tough roster call. Moving on one of the Titans current halves before the expiration of their contract to lure Hunt could be next.

Respect to the whole titans front office

This level of professionalism is something I would often dream of

Didn't realise Tallis had a connection to the club via his wife. Good on her for saying nothing.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    CM

NRL 2023: How Gold Coast Titans kept Des Hasler coaching coup under wraps

In one of the best kept secrets in the history of rugby league, the Titans pulled off a massive coup to land proven winner Des Hasler. But just how did they keep it all under wraps?

One of the best kept secrets in the history of rugby league began on the morning of June 8.

I know the date because it was also the day News Corp broke news that former Manly coach Des Hasler had informed his management not to pursue the vacant St George Illawarra head coaching role.

Only now, do we know why.

It was on that Thursday - 14-days ago - that Titans CEO Steve Mitchell and chair Dennis Watt made contact with Hasler’s respected manager George Mimis.

The Titans leaders told Mimis they were flying to Sydney to meet him.

Mimis will later tell Hasler it was one of the most professional phone calls, which was layered with strategy, belief and respect for the two-time premiership winner, that he had fielded.

MAL, GORDIE DIDN’T KNOW

The entire Titans boardroom were across the approach to Hasler.

Yet nobody flinched.

Not even Jemma Elder, a passionate Titans director, resisted by confiding in her husband, Fox Sports commentator Gorden Tallis, about the stealth-like pitch to Hasler.

Big Gordie only began to learn of the potential for change last weekend.

Also without a hint was Titans senior advisor Mel Meninga, who only found out when the press did.

Meninga has stated he feels ostracised by the club for being left in the dark and is considering his on-going role with the club.

I didn’t know till today, obviously a little disappointing being a senior advisor there,” Meninga told SEN.

“I don’t know how I feel about it.

“I’ve got a bit of thinking to do about what I do in the future — I don’t envisage being part of the club moving forward.”

After meeting with Mimis, Mitchell and Watt organised a follow-up meeting with Hasler for the first time last weekend.

Hasler never flew to the Gold Coast. The Titans knew what they wanted and so they came directly to him.

It took the Titans management two weeks without anyone outside the four walls of the board knowing to do what the noisy Dragons took four months to achieve.

WHY HASLER?

The appointment of Hasler adds instant credibility to a club that has missed the finals on 12 occasions in the past 17-seasons.

He is the first coach in the Titans history that has been appointed with a proven model of premiership success.

It shows the club is serious about finally usurping big brother, the Brisbane Broncos, of whom they face this Sunday.

The Titans are tired of being the also-rans. They want to win premierships. Sacked coach Justin Holbrook wasn’t doing a bad job.

He just didn’t have what the board believed was premiership know-how.

They want more accountability after losses.

Under Hasler, they’ll get it.

BEN HUNT

The appointment of Hasler puts the Titans in the box seat to pinch Hunt, if he’s successful in obtaining a release from the Dragons.

Hunt has made it clear his priority is to return home for family reasons to Queensland.

A former champion playmaker himself, Hasler has a rich history of working with halves, including Jamie Lyon, Matt Orford, Daly Cherry-Evans, Kieran Foran and Trent Hodkinson.

Current Titans halves Tanah Boyd and Kieran Foran still have 2024 on-contract.

With 2024 likely to be Foran’s final season, would the Dragons entertain swapping Hunt for Boyd?

Hasler has proven he’s not afraid to make a tough roster call. Moving on one of the Titans current halves before the expiration of their contract to lure Hunt could be next.
    If that doesnt give you confidence in our board then I dont know what will. Onwards and upwards

First Grader

It also seems that Mal and Holbrook are being pretty dishonest with some of their comments. Steve Mitchell and funnily Matty Johns who apparently is close with the Kelly and Frizelle family said that there was a performance clause Holbrook didn't meet and has known about, Sounds like was 12 months which would line up with how bad we were last year.

Johns comments about the rest of the season were interesting to, He thinks this could really help the team this season because they know the situation going forward and actually backs us to make the 8. We should just replace Mal with Matty, He sounds more excited for us then Mal ever has, Says the reason Des shouldn't start now is because this team has to much of Holbrooks fingerprints on it.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 23-06-23 at 12:12 PM.

Immortal

Justin Holbrook really did institute a policy of bringing our juniors through, which we all should be forever grateful for, so hopefully that is something the Des Hasler continues to do, It appears that Manly currently have a lot of juniors in their NRL squad, which would suggest that Des Hasler has a similiar mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post

Another interview from this morning with Mitchell and more in depth about the decisions. We've all known that there's been big reviews into everything involving our football departments in the last 12 months, Seems like Holbrook and Mal were the only ones who didn't clue into that.

Sounds like the board got over telling the fans the club is making progress while constantly sitting in the bottom 8 or around it. I think Holbrooks comments about 2nd make a bit more sense because apparently there was a performance clause not met and they gave Holbrook every single chance.
    Loved that. Now that I've had more time to digest it all, huge respect for the way Steve Mitchell and the Board handled this. We hit a ceiling under Holbrook where it was clear that for the most part, we were just shuffling the deck chairs in this team but ending up with the same results. Clearly the Board recognized this (as did most of us) and decided enough was enough. Good stuff.

I'm actually really excited for the Des appointment. He is a tough cookie who brings plenty of experience with him which is exactly what this young team needs. Bring it on.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 23-06-23 at 05:17 PM.

Rep Player

Des will fix our D but I must admit I’m going to miss the white knuckle ride that was Justinball

Post Thanks Board

I became a Titans member in 2016 as I liked the playing group and always liked Neil Henry coached sides having a go. I decided I would give them a 10 year commitment. 2018- 2020 tested my resolve but I hung on seeing all the work being done off field to set the club up for success.I am a ticketed member and travel 3.5 hours each way to home games so it takes a whole day of my weekends (sometimes sick days)I personally liked a lot of what Justin has done for the Titans but recently have been concerned we are stuck in a Groundhog Day scenario.

I am no league expert but even I could see the same players being picked to play the same roles for the same results. I sit in my seat and know we are going to loose all momentum once our small slow bench gets monstered by the other teams bench.
    At the South’s game I was thinking if this same old same old keeps being selected each week I won’t re up next year.
    Thank you Titans board for sniffing the wind an acting decisively. Enough is enough.

Now please don’t ruin it by crushing Boyd to bring old man Hunt up here. Hasler was a great halfback and his guidance could be just what Tannah needs to go up a couple more levels. This kid has great potential.

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Boonarga View Post
    Now please don’t ruin it by crushing Boyd to bring old man Hunt up here. Hasler was a great halfback and his guidance could be just what Tannah needs to go up a couple more levels. This kid has great potential.
    Didnt Michell in the interview say something about the players being safe?

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic Believer View Post
    Didnt Michell in the interview say something about the players being safe?
    The players being safe means that their contracts will still be honoured. It does not mean that they are guaranteed their 1st grade spot.