Thread: 2023 Underdogs

Default 2023 Underdogs

Since that fateful evening in 1980 when I sat mesmerized in the stands as Artie led the first iteration of the Queensland Underdogs on to the hallowed turf of Lang Park, for me State of Origin has been a train wreck in waiting. Don’t get me wrong, as one whose youth was spent watching the Maroons get smashed each year and hoping for the team just to be competitive, I only want sweet victory but that in fact is my point. For the aging group the “underdog” tag is not about Sportsbet.

My son and many of you grew up with Mal’s unbeatables and he had to rely on YouTube and my fading recollections to appreciate why we will always be the underdogs. It is never about selections nor talent nor their deeper player pool … it is about the arrogance and air of superiority that the NSWailers roll out each year. It is the fear that eventually the tide will turn and those horrifying memories will come back to haunt us and the Blosers know it.

I sat with Artie after a rare Lang Park loss during Stupid League and he lamented, “they never even think they will lose. They believe winning is their right.” At the World Sevens during a heated debate with Arko over funding international games, he offered, “NSW is the center of the rugby league world when are you all going to accept that.”

It is this malevolent spirit which permeates the Maroon dna and is what the players are taught in camp. It is why we will always be the underdog, a mantle we wear proudly.

So tonight with heart in mouth I will again watch our boys take them on and if we can jag a win it won’t be a celebration of realized expectations, it will be with a huge sigh of relief. Queenslander!!!
    Last edited by Titanic; 21-06-23 at 10:50 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

It's vital to understand the history of Queensland pre-Origin and in the early years. It's great to be a Queenslander.

I think the rest of the nation also likely backs the Maroons. I'd love to see a survey done for people from VIC and WA and SA and Tassie. Throw in PNG as well where both sides seem to get plenty of support.

Loved your stories about Arko and Artie.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

And so in hindsight we can now reflect on where we are.

NSW are in a world of hurt. They can only turn on themselves and self-destruct. Slow Paulo, predictable To’o, the silly Foxx and underwhelming Young must go while the ineffective Yeo and the over-played Teddy's roles should be reassessed. Dessie the mad professor could come into consideration for fragile Freddy’s job but 3 from 6 is hardly an indictable stat. Billy would never have picked Turbo, he was too busted. Jake, Graham, Mitchell, Tupou (or at least a tall kick target) and RCG would help too. Let the media feeding frenzy roll on.

And us? Well we will just follow the Billy way, the Queensland way: enjoy the moment and then have a video session around the NSW try celebrations. The hand grenade and the ten pin bowling should be enough. And finally, who is not bursting with pride for Mo, Dave and Tino? No matter the weather, today the sun is shining on every Queenslander.
    Last edited by Titanic; 22-06-23 at 10:50 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Dessie the mad professor could come into consideration for fragile Freddy’s job
    He is going to be a bit busy brother.

I agree, NSW are too divided and by the nature of so many clubs, there are so many factions and agendas. And it really puts blood in the water.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER