Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Round 15: TITANS vs WESTS TIGERS (2023)

TITANS vs WESTS TIGERS
    Thursday, 8 June 2023

Match Details: https://www.titans.com.au/draw/nrl-p...-wests-tigers/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Big changes needed after this display.
    1. Campbell
    2. Sami
    3. Jojo
    4. Brimson
    5. Francis
    6. Sexton
    7. Boyd
    8. Mo
    9. Verrills
    10. Tino
    11. Fifita
    12. Haas
    13. Liu
    14. Randall
    15. Stimson
    16. Jolliffe
    17. Mikaele

First Grader

AJ will play this week, I wouldn't be against putting him at 6 and completely dropping JC after that **** today tbh. Give Kini another go at 1.

If we lose this one I say there will be a big push for the coaches head. This is the mini GF for sure. I dare not read the meltdown on this forum if it happens. If we lose this our season will be done I would say.
    Psmitty

Quote Originally Posted by Blade07 View Post
    Big changes needed after this display.
    1. Campbell
    2. Sami
    3. Jojo
    4. Brimson
    5. Francis
    6. Sexton
    7. Boyd
    8. Mo
    9. Verrills
    10. Tino
    11. Fifita
    12. Haas
    13. Liu
    14. Randall
    15. Stimson
    16. Jolliffe
    17. Mikaele
    I love that bench. I don't think it would hurt either way with Verrills or Randall in the 14.

I'd bring Alick in for Haas. I know he's a left edge player but Haas deserves to go back to Cup and learn his craft.

We could also have Maumaulo in as another alternative to Francis but I'd be happy with either. Sounds like Big Tony has been killing it though.

The other debate for me is Sexy or JC at 6? Kini did enough to stay there and JC just had a shocker of a second half. He's trained at 6 all offseason and lately, so could be worth one more shot? I'm not sure how Sexy's comeback is going or if he is where he was when he got injured.

I want AJ in the centres at least for next week. We might need to ease him back in like Souths used to with GI when he came back from injury. It would be a big ask for him to play 6 after not training there for almost a year.

So I reckon:

1. Kini
    2. Sami
    3. Jojo
    4. Brimson
    5. Francis / Maumaulo
    6. JC / Sexton
    7. Boyd
    8. Mo
    9. Verrills / Randall
    10. Tino
    11. Fifita
    12. Alick
    13. Liu
    14. Randall / Verrills
    15. Stimson
    16. Jolliffe
    17. Mikaele

- - - Updated - - -

If we can't try a few things with positional switches and bringing in players like Alick, Mauamaulo, Francis and Mikaele against the Tigers, then who can we try them against?

First Grader

Maurmalo got outpointed by Periera yesterday and whiist he scored 2 tries, had problems in defence. Mikaele went well though in a well beaten team against a team who had far too much pace right across the board and who played the ball far more quickly. Souths played very much up tempo that Burleigh could not shut down.

Francis did not stand out and I am not sure he is NRL but this is based only on yesterdays game but still against a quality opposition.
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 04-06-23 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    Maurmalo got outpointed by Periera yesterday and whiist he scored 2 tries, had problems in defence. Mikaele went well though in a well beaten team against a team who had far too much pace right across the board and who played the ball far more quickly. Souths played very much up tempo that Burleigh could not shut down.

Francis did not stand out and I am not sure he is NRL but this is based only on yesterdays game but still against a quality opposition.
    Would you have Lofi instead of Tony or Ken, WD?

Sounds like Mikaele going well against a quick side is a good audition.

- - - Updated - - -

Or JC on the wing?

Burleigh played pretty poor yesterday. SL are a decent side but Burleigh were below where they've been most of the year. Disappointing.

Keep in mind Tony is only 20 WD - I don't think he's been consistent enough this year to be in the frame for NRL but all in all he's having a good season and has been one of their best so far this year usually due to his contributons to yardage and finishing. His development is well on-track when compared to a lot of guys who ended up going on to play top grade. I don't think it'll be with us though.

Been calling for Mikaele to be picked for weeks now, he's improved a lot since he landed.

First Grader

Yep HS. I mentioned that Francis was only based on yesterdays game and you would have to have a wider picture of his games during the year to get a better perspective.

Mikaele went well and had a number of good offloads and would be good in 20 minute stints in the NRL. Don’t think he has the motor for longer periods but this may change under a proper preseason if we extend him.

Ok, after a quick discussion of Jojo's defensive frailties on another thread, I'm moving him to wing and keeping Schoupp in the centres, possibly on the left if AJ can play on the right.

1. Kini
    2. Sami
    3. Schoupp
    4. Brimson
    5. Jojo
    6. JC / Sexton
    7. Boyd
    8. Mo
    9. Verrills / Randall
    10. Tino
    11. Fifita
    12. Alick
    13. Liu
    14. Randall / Verrills
    15. Stimson
    16. Jolliffe
    17. Mikaele

Almost funny how ridiculous I was earlier in the week suggesting JC and Brimo could end up being a centre pairing for us. Based on what I saw yesterday, I can't see JC as a centre other than a stopgap. I'm sure I'll change my mind on all this again.

People calling for Campbell to be dropped after one poor game have short memories of how out of his depth Sexton the snail was for us last season.

Campbell has consistently shown he is a quality NRL player and we are all going to turn on him after one game in a new position?

Sexton will run sideways (slowly) all game and cramp our left edge (assuming he takes JC's spot) of any room when they get the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by The Birdman View Post
    People calling for Campbell to be dropped after one poor game have short memories of how out of his depth Sexton the snail was for us last season.

Campbell has consistently shown he is a quality NRL player and we are all going to turn on him after one game in a new position?

Sexton will run sideways (slowly) all game and cramp our left edge (assuming he takes JC's spot) of any room when they get the ball.
    Honestly, I like the guy but Sexton would have been absolutely slaughtered by South's last night. They're the best team in the comp at making players work quickly on short-sides from marker and would've gone at him all night. Seen him get picked off at cup level for exactly that and it was one of his biggest weaknesses in the NRL - in fact I'm pretty sure Souths did exactly that to him back in '21.

We scored 28 points with the ball and JC had an off-night but it wasn't all bad. I'm fine with giving him more opportunity and letting him go through the necessary learning curve. Our spine was far from the reason we lost.

First Grader

HS. Yep.

The damage was done by Ilias and Walker. Ilias who at speed ran straight and deep into the defensive line and passing to Walker at pace who was deep enabling him to see what options and lines to run to set up space for their edges which we could not handle all night and were left stuck on our defensive line guessing what to do. In that situation once Ilias ran straight we should have had a shooter such as Toby to shoot out straight on Walker to shut down or disrupt his play making. Walker had so much time and we were left guessing how to defend the onslaught out wide.

We got to stop moving players in and out of positions, it’s crazy.

Randall is suspended so that will make this weeks decisions easier.

JC fullback, Kini Bench, AJ five eight.

I’m also down for Sami getting a rest, bloke is smug with a **** attitude.

1. AJ
    2. Lofi
    3. Schoupp
    4. Jojo
    5. Sami
    6. JC
    7. Boyd
    8. Tino
    9. Verrills
    10. MoFo
    11. Fifita
    12. Stimson
    13. Liu

14. Leeming
    15. JJ
    16. Mikaele
    17. IF

Too many changes for this must win game is not the answer. Kini is too small at this stage to command a first 17 position. Leeming because Randall is suspended. Francis is not in the picture and plays right wing so won’t replace Sami which should be his wing. I concede that JC deserves another chance (over Sexton but not by much) and that he can swap with AJ if he fails again.

The seventeenth spot is the hardest. All of IF, Clark, Vuna and Haas have been underwhelming and as much as I’d like to give Alick a go this is not the game. I have gone with IF as a bigger body, a slightly higher ceiling and he will have Tino pushing him.

Adjusted for Randall’s suspension.
    Last edited by Titanic; 04-06-23 at 01:49 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.