Default FOX Sports pundit Paul Kent stood down after assault charges

Story by Dan Cancian For Daily Mail Australia • 2h ago

Veteran NRL journalist Paul Kent was arrested in Sydney's west on Friday
    Police responded to an alleged domestic incident involving a man and woman
    The NRL 360 co-host has been charged with assault by the police
    Fox Sports and Daily Telegraph rugby league journalist Paul Kent has been arrested on domestic violence charges.

According to Nine News, police were called to a home in Lilyfield in Sydney's inner West suburbs on Friday morning, after an alleged incident involving a 52-year-old man and a 33-year-old-woman.

The pair were both arrested for their role in the altercation, with the woman subsequently released without charges.

Kent, who co-hosts the NRL 360 show on FOX League alongside former NRL star Braith Anasta, was reportedly arrested and charged with common assault and with intentionally choking a person without consent.

In a statement, Newscorp said Kent will temporarily stop writing for the Daily Telegraph and won't appear on Fox League in the coming weeks.

'Paul Kent has been stood down from his duties with News Corp and Fox Sports while he deals with this personal matter,' the statement read.

Nine News added Kent has been granted bail and will face court later this week.

One of the most outspoken and recognisable pundits in the NRL, Kent has been a regular co-host of NRL 360 since the show launched in 2013.

Kent did not appear in Saturday's Daily Telegraph, with the paper stating he was 'on leave'. A column by Brent Read appeared in the slot normally reserved for Kent's weekend piece.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...es/ar-AA1b8bST

Jesus christ... did not expect to read that today.

The most amazing thing about that is the inference that you CAN choke a person WITH consent ... I'm getting too old.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Whatever we think of Kent's punditry is a separate matter to this issue. It may or may not be proven legally but the issue is deadly serious regardless (one woman dies every 10 days at the hands of her partner in Australia, currently). It's not so much about him as it is about all of us as men and what we're prepared to walk past. I recommend we all become familiar with the extract below from the ntv.org.au site. It could save a life or at least make the future better for our family, friends, children and grandchildren. Apologies for the non-Rugby League content but this issue is bigger than the game. Read on.

It takes a lot of strength to acknowledge that things may not be right.
    Ask yourself:
    Have I ever shouted or screamed at a family member?
    Have I ever called a family member insulting or belittling names and constantly criticised them?
    Have I ever prevented my partner spending money for their personal use?
    Have I ever slapped, hit, pushed or shoved a family member – or threatened to?
    Have I ever scared my partner or children?
    Have I ever thrown something in my partner’s or child’s presence, such as a glass, a chair or tv remote?
    Have I ever pressured my partner into doing something sexual that they didn’t want to?
    Have I ever tried to stop my partner doing something that they wanted to do? (for example, going out with friends, having a job, doing some study)
    Relationships have their ups and downs, with occasional disagreements or arguments. Most people will feel frustrated, disappointed or angry with a relative or partner at some point. But there is a difference between a healthy level of disagreement and using violence and control.

If you answered yes to one of more of these questions, you should give us a call. Call the Men's Referral Service on 1300 766 491 (open seven days a week).

Thanks for sharing MT and your message can never be emphasised enough.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Shocking developments but we should wait for the legal process to conclude before making any weighty comment. (We all know the drill)

Issues of domestic violence, wellbeing, mental health and loneliness are above all the game. It's also a reason we are part of a rugby league community to share and support each other. Which especially helps men who can be detached especially as we get older. The government and NGOs also see sport as a valuable conduit to reach people in this day and age.

Thank you for sharing a very important post, MaroonTitan. I think you have a very good outlook on life and it comes across in your posts.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER