Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Wake me when they win one

Also a bad strike rate of 2/20 something

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by T0ken View Post
    Wake me when they win one

Also a bad strike rate of 2/20 something
    You stated no one. I was pointing out that statement is not correct with both Fitzgibbon and Demetriou are widely considered quality coaches and also Andrew Webster is doing very well with Warriors at this stage. Also Canterbury would be going better under Ciraldo if they did not have such a massive injury toll which is probably the worst in the NRL but you can still see they are well coached.

It is about getting the right one and Ryles is considered a quality coach in waiting.

Broad inaccurate statements does not wash
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 24-04-23 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    You stated no one. I was pointing out that statement is not correct with both Fitzgibbon and Demetriou are widely considered quality coaches and also Andrew Webster is doing very well with Warriors at this stage. Also Canterbury would be going better under Ciraldo if they did not have such a massive injury toll which is probably the worst in the NRL but you can still see they are well coached.

It is about getting the right one and Ryles is considered a quality coach in waiting.

Broad inaccurate statements does not wash
    Ryles is being groomed to take over from Bellamy at Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by T0ken View Post
    I’m sorry but I could care less about stigmas and all that I want a premiership mentality and there are a small list of names on there

Flanno
    Robbo
    Bellyache
    Bennett

That’s it
    Every one of their protégés has failed in the nrl

Cleary gets carried by cleary and by the talented panthers junior catchments
    Bellamy was Bennett's protege. So was Kevvy (nice bloke but can't coach) and he's top of the table.

Flano is a grub. I don't want a bar of him. I'd rather HS, Mdrew and a few of the other guys on here.

Quote Originally Posted by MaroonTitan View Post
    I'd rather HS, Mdrew and a few of the other guys on here.
    Honestly, that's a Hollywood movie in the making.

I'll work the merch stand. Roll up! We don't sell Helmet Tummy jerseys though. Watch out if any of us win the lotto.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Gotta be someone with a tough defencive mindset that's already won a premiership

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    just let the year play out and see how we go and if we improve IMO. Mid-season sackings are kinda pointless IMO.
    Agreed.

IMO, there really isn't just a bunch of good coaches out there available and ready to take an NRL team to being a contender. Being "widely regarded" as a good up and coming coach is usually just another way of saying the media has painted someone as a good up and coming coach but until they have sustained success year on year in the NRL, I think it's hard to qualify anyone for that bracket outside of a few.

Ciraldo hasn't proven anything and he was "widely regarded" as the next best thing. I know he's got an injured roster, but his team is showing flaws that go beyond that. With the amount of resources Gus and the Landy family are pouring in, he's set up to succeed - but at the moment the jury is still out.

Todd Payten was regarded as an up and coming elite coach last year, and his team this year is arguably going worse than us given their decline on both sides of the ball.

Like Payten, Fitzgibbon had a cracking rookie year but he is going to have to change some things because teams are working out how to play against his coaching style now and Cronulla are having some defensive issues that weren't as obvious in 2022. I think Fitzgibbon can coach and much prefer his philosophy to what we've currently got, but he's far from being a slam-dunk head coach yet.

Demtriou is a unique case where he probably could have been a head coach 5 or so years ago but he opted to stay with Bennett and hone his craft. And fair enough, he's benefited from that extended tutelage.

Flanagan can coach, no doubt. But I understand that with his history there is a hesitancy to take him on board. And there's a reason no club has done so. I respect his coaching but I also understand that getting the right fit for any club is important.

Point is, there's not many proven high quality NRL coaches out there and even rookie coaches who flash well early on can often struggle to make that sustainable year on year. If you're making the decision to find a new one, I think you need to be 90% of the way to doing so before you sack your current one or else you're causing a whole lot of disruption without actually having an improved solution on the other side of it. The exception to that of course is if a coach has lost the locker room, but like it or not, the players love Justin.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 25-04-23 at 12:12 PM.

Everyone seems to like Holbrook and that’s probably the problem.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

First Grader

The thing that annoys me most about Holbrook is the decisions he's making gameday and during games seems to be costing us games and not what we're doing during the week. I think he's a pretty good coach from Monday to Thursday then shuts his brain off it seems. He keeps putting our guys in the middle in horrible situations to defend when it's a clear weakness but tries to be to smart or isn't brave enough to make a call on dropping guys if it's what's best for the team.

The JC situation is a joke and there isn't really a plan unless someone gets injured. Holbrook get's way to stuck on his interchange rotations and doesn't seem to able to change it up when things aren't going well or momentum has switched. We probably win against Dragons the first game and Dolphins if he just takes a 3 forward bench and not outsmart himself.

With that we're only giving our bench props barely 15 mins each, Mikaele played 50 mins I think for Burleigh the week before but only got 12. Vuna and Iszac were barely getting 15.

The funny thing is we'll probably be in this position 6 more times this season, Even this week I'd put good money on us being the same as the last 2 games. There's nowhere better for some redemption then Brookvale against a decent Manly team. If Holbrook screws us again I'm not for firing him yet but I just don't think he'll ever get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    The thing that annoys me most about Holbrook is the decisions he's making gameday and during games seems to be costing us games and not what we're doing during the week. I think he's a pretty good coach from Monday to Thursday then shuts his brain off it seems. He keeps putting our guys in the middle in horrible situations to defend when it's a clear weakness but tries to be to smart or isn't brave enough to make a call on dropping guys if it's what's best for the team.

The JC situation is a joke and there isn't really a plan unless someone gets injured. Holbrook get's way to stuck on his interchange rotations and doesn't seem to able to change it up when things aren't going well or momentum has switched. We probably win against Dragons the first game and Dolphins if he just takes a 3 forward bench and not outsmart himself.

With that we're only giving our bench props barely 15 mins each, Mikaele played 50 mins I think for Burleigh the week before but only got 12. Vuna and Iszac were barely getting 15.

The funny thing is we'll probably be in this position 6 more times this season, Even this week I'd put good money on us being the same as the last 2 games. There's nowhere better for some redemption then Brookvale against a decent Manly team. If Holbrook screws us again I'm not for firing him yet but I just don't think he'll ever get it.
    Mikaele got hooked because he was too slow out of marker and was trying to offload every time he got the ball instead of tucking it. Must've been told to just "go out there and play footy"

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Mikaele got hooked because he was too slow out of marker and was trying to offload every time he got the ball instead of tucking it. Must've been told to just "go out there and play footy"
    Hahaha bloody hell, Hopefully we can bring Iszac back, At least Vuna was good in effort areas mostly. We should've just gave Ryan James the last spot, Even if he was crap at least I like him and he's the closest thing to a club legend besides Preston we have, Give him a proper send off the Titans way, Losing a game we were leading 20+.

Junior

Agreed.

IMO, there really isn't just a bunch of good coaches out there available and ready to take an NRL team to being a contender. Being "widely regarded" as a good up and coming coach is usually just another way of saying the media has painted someone as a good up and coming coach but until they have sustained success year on year in the NRL, I think it's hard to qualify anyone for that bracket outside of a few.

Ciraldo hasn't proven anything and he was "widely regarded" as the next best thing. I know he's got an injured roster, but his team is showing flaws that go beyond that. With the amount of resources Gus and the Landy family are pouring in, he's set up to succeed - but at the moment the jury is still out.

Todd Payten was regarded as an up and coming elite coach last year, and his team this year is arguably going worse than us given their decline on both sides of the ball.

Like Payten, Fitzgibbon had a cracking rookie year but he is going to have to change some things because teams are working out how to play against his coaching style now and Cronulla are having some defensive issues that weren't as obvious in 2022. I think Fitzgibbon can coach and much prefer his philosophy to what we've currently got, but he's far from being a slam-dunk head coach yet.

Demtriou is a unique case where he probably could have been a head coach 5 or so years ago but he opted to stay with Bennett and hone his craft. And fair enough, he's benefited from that extended tutelage.

Flanagan can coach, no doubt. But I understand that with his history there is a hesitancy to take him on board. And there's a reason no club has done so. I respect his coaching but I also understand that getting the right fit for any club is important.

Point is, there's not many proven high quality NRL coaches out there and even rookie coaches who flash well early on can often struggle to make that sustainable year on year. If you're making the decision to find a new one, I think you need to be 90% of the way to doing so before you sack your current one or else you're causing a whole lot of disruption without actually having an improved solution on the other side of it. The exception to that of course is if a coach has lost the locker room, but like it or not, the players love Justin.
    excellent summary. Holbrook coaching style is NRL standard, interchange is an area of improvement and teaching resilience is another. Recruitment and retention under JH has been good.
    Meninga's influence has not had the desired impact. Id rather see a change of person in that role than head coach

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Everyone seems to like Holbrook and that’s probably the problem.
    Of course players love him, who wouldn't love a job where you get paid massive amounts of money with no expectation of success nor accountability

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Coast 88 View Post
    excellent summary. Holbrook coaching style is NRL standard, interchange is an area of improvement and teaching resilience is another. Recruitment and retention under JH has been good.
    Meninga's influence has not had the desired impact. Id rather see a change of person in that role than head coach
    I agree with your comments re Holbrook I feel he’s good and we should keep him.

There was changes below Holbrook for this year….. is it time for freshen up above him ?
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

First Grader

Why was he even in the side?

I just can't get around Holbrook's bench and his rotations. It's not a 1 off thing, he's been cooked for years now. He seems to be slightly more proactive in pulling people during games but not nearly enough. Clarke hasn't shown much and if he is running leeming on the bench JC has to play reserve grade. Would any top 4 coach have a bench make up of JC, leeming, Clarke and a bloke who hasn't played NRL in years in mikaele?

He needs a serious kick up his **** I just don't understand how the decisions he is making are approved.

Kd have started Haas on right 2RF, stimson bench. Start Clark and bring Liu off bench also.

You can't have such a small bench and then play them all at the same time, I'm.sorry I'm repeating my earlier **** but It is just inexcusable