Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    First Grader

Agree on Clark, I could see Leeming/Randle playing that role if we go with another big body, We just don't have any right now. Hopefully the Haas/Stimson swap can help that.

I was listening to the fifth and last podcast (best league podcast imo) and they were suggesting moving JC or AJ to 6 and just keeping Foran on the left as the 7 and be the shot caller. It'd be rough on Boyd but they're opinion is you have to have both on the field someway and that's the best way of doing it and making the decision rather then later is needed. I honestly think JC could be a better player then all our guys in the backline besides Jojo and AJ going forward. I've been thinking this for a while and we just need to put him somewhere out there. The best time to ever try make him a half is now with Foran.

I now know where my bias against Boyd comes from HS hahaha, They aren't big fans.

QLD Cup

I don’t think Campbell is miles behind AJ at 1 at all. I think Campbell is equal or better than AJ when AJ first started playing first grade. I personally think that AJ is the best 6 at our club presently. Foran has been okay but he hasn’t actually delivered on everything that was touted. He’s getting old and frankly he hasn’t either been there, or stood up, when things are on the line.

Out of Boyd, Foran, Campbell and AJ, does anyone actually think that Boyd is better than any of the other three?

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    I don’t think Campbell is miles behind AJ at 1 at all. I think Campbell is equal or better than AJ when AJ first started playing first grade. I personally think that AJ is the best 6 at our club presently. Foran has been okay but he hasn’t actually delivered on everything that was touted. He’s getting old and frankly he hasn’t either been there, or stood up, when things are on the line.

Out of Boyd, Foran, Campbell and AJ, does anyone actually think that Boyd is better than any of the other three?
    In considering a team, there needs to be a goal kicker and the problem is that Foran, Campbell and AJ are not goal kickers (or at least anyone with any sort of accuracy) and that adds another layer of complexity to the makeup of a team.

First Grader

AJ was 18 when he debuted, JC was 21, AJ at 21 had played origin. I'm not trying to bag JC at all and think he could have a higher ceiling but I don't really think he's better in any area then AJ currently.

Foran hasn't really been bad at all and I don't think it's a coincidence that Fifita is playing is best football since coming here, He's teaching him how to play 2nd row properly. He does look a little older but he hasn't been healthy since the Tigers match around 30 mins in, It's to early to judge for me because that left side is causing chaos when it's on.

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    In considering a team, there needs to be a goal kicker and the problem is that Foran, Campbell and AJ are not goal kickers (or at least anyone with any sort of accuracy) and that adds another layer of complexity to the makeup of a team.
    Schoupp can kick I think, just hasn't been 1st choice because of Burton and Flannigan + Boyd, I don't know his percentages to be fair but from memory he did goal kick in the lower grades.

I think it all basically comes down to where we'd get more points and be a better team, Is Tannahs goal kicking, in game kicking and controlling the game enough or do we go with JC or AJ there and probably get those points in tries anyway with JC/AJ being a much bigger attacking threat on the right side. In the games with DCE out last year Foran was pretty impressive running the show with Schuster at 6.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 19-04-23 at 10:24 PM.

Lets just get our best 17 players on the paddock and find them a number.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    AJ was 18 when he debuted, JC was 21, AJ at 21 had played origin. I'm not trying to bag JC at all and think he could have a higher ceiling but I don't really think he's better in any area then AJ currently.

Foran hasn't really been bad at all and I don't think it's a coincidence that Fifita is playing is best football since coming here, He's teaching him how to play 2nd row properly. He does look a little older but he hasn't been healthy since the Tigers match around 30 mins in, It's to early to judge for me because that left side is causing chaos when it's on.

Schoupp can kick I think, just hasn't been 1st choice because of Burton and Flannigan + Boyd, I don't know his percentages to be fair but from memory he did goal kick in the lower grades.

I think it all basically comes down to where we'd get more points and be a better team, Is Tannahs goal kicking, in game kicking and controlling the game enough or do we go with JC or AJ there and probably get those points in tries anyway with JC/AJ being a much bigger attacking threat on the right side. In the games with DCE out last year Foran was pretty impressive running the show with Schuster at 6.
    How old where Cody Walker and Nicho Hynes when they go their debuts? Think it's pretty irrelevant stat, there is a difference to time served playing NRL.

JC clearly has a higher ceiling than AJ, he has consistently improved and is getting better, and he is still filling out his body. Yes AJ improved his defence, passing game and short grubbers. But either way they both have to be in the 13

Not having a go, but I think it is quite obvious that JC could become anything with a bit of game time and more experience, he has a natural high footy IQ level.

I'm all for team AJ just like JC bleeds for the team. What scares me most about AJ is the injuries he's getting, if you had to choose who were the two best backs we have it would be head and shoulders AJ and JC over everyone else in the backline. One of the top clubs (eg Roosters) would find a way to fit them both into the starting squad. We need to this for now and the future

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    Lets just get our best 17 players on the paddock and find them a number.
    kind of my logic too

First Grader

Just while we’re on the topic of AJ and JC, looks to me like Brimmo will definitely be playing this weekend. No strapping on his legs is a good sign.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrNUESap...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

First Grader

Gus of all people said he's heard AJ will be back at fullback, Makes me think he's got his grubby lil eyes on JC.

I don't love a bench with Leeming and JC especially against a pack like Dolphins who are big and break teams down through the middle. I think we have to drop either Kelly or Boyd or we could try Randle/Leeming on at the same time with one of them in the Clark role. It's a tough one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    Gus of all people said he's heard AJ will be back at fullback, Makes me think he's got his grubby lil eyes on JC.

I don't love a bench with Leeming and JC especially against a pack like Dolphins who are big and break teams down through the middle. I think we have to drop either Kelly or Boyd or we could try Randle/Leeming on at the same time with one of them in the Clark role. It's a tough one.
    Fair call but AJ and JC must both play if they are both fit. They've shown over and over again they are both too good to leave out. I'm very happy for Kelly and to a lesser extent Boyd (goal kicking) to make way and we cobble together a lineup that includes our most talented players, however we go about it.

The late mail NRL.com put out yesterday: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/04/19/...-mail-round-8/
    says: AJ Brimson has been listed among the reserves as he closes in on a return from a hamstring complaint. His inclusion could possibly see him join the side and play in the halves with Tanah Boyd shifting to hooker, although Chris Randall and new recruit Kruise Leeming have both been named in the side.

I know it says possibly so not definitely happening, but this would have to be one of the worst things we could do IMO.

First Grader

I reckon that's just the NRL writers going off assumptions, If it's Tannah we drop I doubt he's in the 17.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 21-04-23 at 04:38 PM.

Is it just me or do we always seem to get flogged whenever we wear *special* jerseys?

First Grader

We usually get flogged when we don't wear special jerseys to be fair haha.