Default Super League: I've made a decision. I'm a _______ fan

So I have a major announcement to make.

I have been trying to support a patchwork of expansion clubs. That blink in and out of existence. And the French clubs are really hard to support due to the language barrier.

After decades of never supporting a heartlands Super League club I have finally chosen one.

I never like to support the likelies. So Leeds, St Helens and Wigan were out.

I started to look over the mid tier clubs. So Castleford. Warrington, Hull FC and KR.

And I have made a decision.

Warrington Wolves

This decision makes plenty of sense. And I'm delighted that there are heaps of meaningful reasons.

• Blue and gold colours are familiar
    • Social media is high quality and interesting
    • Cool nickname "The Wire" that harks back to the wire making industry of the area.
    • Their kits generally look good.
    • Wolf mascot is cool. Especially for Game of Thrones fans (House of Stark)
    • Warrington played host to many Aussie players back in the 80s and 90s such as Andrew Johns, Allan Langer, Bob Fulton, Greg Inglis,
    • The late Gerry Fitzpatrick played for them. Gerry is a Valleys Diehards legend. He was the heart of the Diehards, won Premierships, captained them. Post retirement he became the keeper of history and glue of the old boys. I was lucky enough to work with him and be trusted by him on projects. I consider him a mentor. He even met his wife in Warrington. Love you Gerry!
    • Rivals of the Widnes Vikings (Chemics). Which appeals because I have had a bit of a dislike of them running down expansion clubs in similar fashion to how Norths do it here, and to us.
    • During the World Cup last year I was tweeting a lot about the comp and made alot of real friends in the UK through it. Including a Warringon fan who posted me heaps of programs and other RLWC artefacts. So generous. Fans really make a club.
    • I recently bought what I thought was my "first" Wolves jersey. But then I realised that this was wrong. I bought one in 2020 when they made a special jersey to fundraise and support Australia during the bushfires. It was modeled after the Kangaroos jersey. So it was an instant purchase.
    • Lots of Hongkongers are moving overseas. And that includes the north of England. I was delighted to see Warrington Wolves run a special outreach day to welcome them to the community, LINK

Around 200 visitors enjoyed watching the first team train, a tour of The Halliwell Jones Stadium including the heritage timeline wall in the South Stand, and were able to engage with the first-team squad for pictures and autographs.

It is estimated that more than 2,000 people from Hong Kong are now living in Warrington.
    I shed a tear when I read that this happened and saw the photos of families, elderly and kids having fun at the game and posing with the Wolf mascot.

I've ordered a couple more jerseys, stickers, mug and a book on the history of the club.

It's taken decades, but I finally made a choice and I can't believe how meaningful it is.

Go Wolves!
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 01-03-23 at 02:20 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

More...

Adam Hills plays for Warrington's physical disability team. He is such a passionate rugby league lover and has done so much for its general promotion and the development of PDRL.

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER