Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

I reckon the Dolphins have also deflected some negative media attention from us. (I've been thoroughly enjoying the Dolphins v Broncos sniping and fighting)

As a Queenslander, I'm happy to fly under the radar. And focus on some more relevant, interesting and less repetitive news/discussions.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

On the wing with some flair: Khan-Pereira ready for Round 1
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2023/...y-for-round-1/

After producing four-try performance in his side’s Pre-Season Challenge win against the Dolphins, Gold Coast Titans sensation Alofiana Khan-Pereira put his name up in lights and guaranteed his NRL debut for Round 1.

However, his inclusion on the wing for the clash against Wests Tigers has been some time in the making, despite his recent eye-catching displays which netted six tries in his two Pre-Season Challenge appearances.

Last season, Khan-Pereira the leading try scorer in Queensland’s Hostplus Cup competition with 25 overall and he also took home the winger award in the competition’s team of the year, where opposition coaches voted on the players they deemed to have made the most impact in each position.

For 2023 Burleigh Bears head coach Luke Burt, who was an assistant with the Cup side last year and saw up close the damage Khan-Pereira could do, this week’s call-up is a fitting reward for the focus ‘Lofi’ has put into improving his game since setting the Cup competition alight last year.

“He’s just got raw speed and it’s something you just can’t coach and it’s a huge asset, and I think you saw that against the Dolphins; there were a couple of tries there where if you didn’t have Lof’s speed, he probably doesn’t get into the corner on two of those occasions, so he’ll be a huge asset for the Titans this year,” Burt said.

“(This pre-season) he definitely would have worked on his defensive reads and under fatigue as well, that was probably one of the things I am sure [Titans coach] Justin [Holbrook] would have seen a big improvement on this pre-season with his training, and just getting a bit more fit and getting that fitness under his belt so when that fatigue hits, he makes better decisions in defence.

“His development would have been through the roof hanging around the NRL squad and there’s a lot of improvement (yet) in Lof, he’s … a confident young fella, and he loves to have a bit of fun, but he’s also willing to learn.”

Speaking about the team he was going to name for the Round 1 clash, coach Justin Holbrook confirmed that Khan-Pereira would become Titans player #176 after seeing him display not only good rugby league skills on the field, but the right attitude all pre-season.

“Very happy and very pleased for him … he’s worked hard, he’s always had the speed, he’s always had that, but he’s learnt how to work really hard and he’s been terrific all pre-season,” Holbrook said.

“It’s great when people do the right thing and it’s good to reward them and he’s done exactly that.”

Originally a soccer junior who was signed up to play rugby league by his dad after watching a game on television, Khan-Pereira has been part of the set up at the Titans since he was 16 and cut a popular figure at the club’s season launch held last week.

While his debut was imminent, the noted try-scorer didn’t want to get too far ahead of himself, saying he still had work to do before he'd be named in the number two jersey.

“I had a chat with Justin, and he was very impressed with me (after the Dolphins game), but obviously there’s still a lot of things to touch up on, but I’m definitely pushing for that spot,” Khan-Pereira told assembled media at the launch.

The hard work Khan-Pereira has put in during the past few months have stood out to Burt, who was excited to see the young talent “do his thing” at the top level.

“There’s not too much advice from me (about how to handle his debut), because Lof is a confident young kid, he actually came to our trial match yesterday when we played Tweed, so he’s a level-headed young fella, that still came back to watch the Bears play,” Burt said.

“He just needs to go out and do his thing; what he did against the Dolphins in that trial was quite impressive and he just needs to take the confidence out of that and put it into the match this weekend.

“I can’t wait to watch him, I am very proud of the boy, I cannot wait.”

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

100%!
    Happy to let the others get all the attention while we just get on with the job.

Can’t wait for game day!

Feck, feck and double feck. According to an email from the club Fermour has done his ACL. Feck.

First Grader

I'd probably prefer if they just bring Haas/Sam Mac in and keep Stimson on the bench . Stimson was really solid in the middle for us and we need him there. I didn't like Sam Macs defence in either trial game. THIS IS NOT GOOOD

We probably have to drop JC to cover it now.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 02-03-23 at 02:13 PM.

NRL.com Preview: Wests Tigers v Titans: Brooks in, Bateman rested; Fermor's knee blow
    https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/02/27/...-boyd-combine/

The Titans and Tigers both racked up big scores in their final Pre-Season Challenge hit-out so belief will be growing that a return to finals footy isn't out of the question.

For their part, the Tigers haven't tasted finals since 2011, while the Titans have been there just once in the past six seasons so both clubs are aware something needs to change.

The acquisition of Api Koroisau, David Klemmer, John Bateman and Isaiah Papali'i, coupled with the ongoing development of Fonua Pole and Stefano Utoikamanu gives the Tigers pack a more potent look, but they'll need halves Adam Doueihi and Luke Brooks to come to the party if they are to trouble the top sides.

Only the Warriors conceded more points than the Tigers in 2022 so it's imperative they muscle up and defend their line and they can make an early statement by silencing a Titans attack led by AJ Brimson and Kieran Foran.

The vastly experienced Foran heads to the Titans after two impressive seasons at Manly where he played 49 of a possible 51 games and showed he still has plenty to offer at the top level.

Foran will look to quickly form a combination with youngster Tanah Boyd as the Titans look to increase their attacking output from last year's 19ppg, which ranked them 12th in the NRL.

Team News
    Wests Tigers: Halfback Luke Brooks (calf) has been named to play alongside star recruits Api Koroisau, David Klemmer and Isaiah Papali'i. Another big name signing, John Bateman, has only recently arrived from England and will be rested in round one. Centre Tommy Talau and second-rower Shawn Blore make their returns after missing the entire 2021 season due to ACL injuries. Veteran Ken Maumalo's knee injury opens the door for ex-Panther Charlie Staines to start on the wing after playing in both pre-season games.

Titans: Edge forward Beau Fermor has suffered an ACL injury at training and faces an indefinite period out of the game. Sam McIntyre or Joe Stimson are the most likely replacements in the starting side.

Sar recruit Kieran Foran joins Tanah Boyd in the halves, AJ Brimson starts at fullback and former Rooster Sam Verrills rounds out the spine at hooker. Flyer Alofiana Khan-Pereira makes his NRL debut on the wing on the back of a four-try haul in the Pre-Season Challenge win over the Dolphins. Jayden Campbell will bring impact from the bench in No.14 while Erin Clark, Moeaki Fotuaika and Joe Stimson round out the interchange.

Match Officials
    Referee: Peter Gough
    Touch Judge: Kasey Badger
    Touch Judge: Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski
    Senior Review Official: Matt Noyen
    Last updated: 10:20 am Thursday 2nd March 2023

Stat Attack
    • Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens will reach the milestone of 250 games as coach of the club on Sunday.
    • The Titans have won eight of their past 10 games against Wests Tigers.
    • The Titans have not won in Round 1 since 2018 (30-28 v Raiders at Cbus Super Stadium).
    • The Titans' leading tackle breaker from last year, Greg Marzhew (117 in 17 games) has departed to Newcastle. Their next best tackle buster was David Fifita (79 in 18 games).
    • Wests Tigers have won only two of their past seven games at Leichhardt Oval (36-22 v Canterbury, rd 11, 2022 and 26-6 v Penrith, rd 13, 2021).
    • Wests Tigers winger David Nofoaluma requires one try for a century of NRL tries. He has scored 95 tries for the Tigers and 4 for the Storm.

First Grader

That tigers right edge of blore, douehi, talau and nofo are going to rip us apart

Sigh

Can we afford to carry JC on the bench now? Fifita will probably be the only one playing 80 now going from fermours speed on the edge to Sam Mac or Stimson is gonna really hurt us

QLD Cup

I hope Fafita is shifted to the left. It’s not ideal considering that he has trained on the right all season but we send a lot of play to the left and Foran will be there to mentor him. Sam Mac is the obvious choice to come in with Stimson giving him a spell at some point in the game.

JB will mortified ... I also agree that either DF (or even Isaac at a stretch) should head over to the left and we promote Sammy Mac or even Kleese to the right. Big test for the coach first up.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    I'd probably prefer if they just bring Haas/Sam Mac in and keep Stimson on the bench . Stimson was really solid in the middle for us and we need him there. I didn't like Sam Macs defence in either trial game. THIS IS NOT GOOOD

We probably have to drop JC to cover it now.
    Hass straight in as a dedicated left edge and change nothing else for mine.
    Not the time to get funky or defensive so lets just back our preseason.
    Where's Bodsy when you need him...mini grand final this

Absolutely gutted for Beau!
    Agreed…geez we’re gonna miss his lines and speed. Was so looking forward to see him burst through the D line off a Foz peach.
    Bugger!
    Not keen on moving Dave. The make up of our right side looks really promising and I reckon they’ll start bringing serious fire sooner rather than later. In particular, the Dave/Jojo connection in the Dolphins trial looked like it could develop nicely.
    I wouldn’t mind seeing Klese Haas get a chance straight up (risky?��) but will be happy with whatever Holbrook goes with…for now. Haha

Banned

Hey everyone I'm back

Rep Player

sup cozza?

Banned

I'm getting ready incase there are more injuries to make a return

Sami dropping too many balls