Junior
    vCash

Default Concussion breach notices

Three NRL clubs are facing fines totalling $350,000 after being issued with Breach Notices relating to head injuries in Round 3 of the Telstra Premiership.

CEO Todd Greenberg said there is no more important issue in the game than player safety and he was satisfied that the three clubs had failed to follow the concussion rules during weekend matches.

The Breach Notices have been issued to:

• The Gold Coast Titans ($150,000) for incidents involving Kane Elgey, Joe Greenwood and Ryan Simpkins

• St George Illawarra Dragons ($100,000) for an incident involving Josh Dugan

• Newcastle Knights ($100,000) for an incident involving Brendan Elliot

"These are, by far, the heaviest fines ever proposed by the game for concussion breaches," Mr Greenberg said.

"That is how seriously we take it.

"The clubs involved have the opportunity to respond to the Breach Notices, and we will consider those responses, but our message is clear… we are not going to allow player safety to be put at risk through breaches of the concussion rules."

Mr Greenberg said the NRL has put significant resources into concussion training and education.

"In the majority of cases we see strong compliance with the League's concussion rules but it appears that this did not happen at the weekend in some matches and we cannot stand by and allow player safety to be put at risk," he said.

"Where we believe the rules have been breached we will take action – and we would hope that these Breach Notices will serve as a warning to all clubs."

Mr Greenberg said the clubs would have five business days to respond to the Breach Notices

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Junior
    vCash

I could see this coming. When Joe Greenwood sent away the trainer, I said to my wife that "that's just not on".
    I wasn't conscious of the other breaches. The bottom line is Newcastle is being sued. The NRL will also be sued. Concussion is a major problem, much bigger than the game. The NRL must police clubs and players in the interests of their own safety.

Last edited by Titanic Believer; 20-03-17 at 01:47 PM.

vCash

How about the league issue fines to clubs when their props go down at the twenty minute mark and claim head clash. Old poopy drawers went down , stayed down, right on the Goal line when defending against the Cowboys at exactly the time he was due to be swapped out.
    Replay showed nothing near his ugly melon. Obviously been taking acting lessons from his wife.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

This concussion thing is such a joke
    The only thing I've ever seen Condon do right is allow those three to go on.

Players from now on need to be told if u get hit hard and am dazed just get up!! Don't under any circumstances stay down.

vCash

What ****s me is the fact that they take away from the way a team plays. They sit aroundand stop the game for a few minutes to get them off the feild. Do the tests on the field and if the fail theyre off for the whole game. That way you dont lose the effectiveness of on field combinations.

vCash

As much as it ****s us, a players welfare is paramount.

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives

Star Player
    vCash

Does the NRL take it seriously with regards to concussions or do they make noise so it seems like it. Kind of like a CEO saying he wants no work injuries but doesn't put too much in place to make it happen other than jumping up and down when there is an injury. Union has a zero head contact policy. Your arm drifts up you sit out for ten. If a player staggers or grabs their head are we going to sit them out for a game or longer? Are we going to have neurotrauma doctors at every game that can review and override and stop a game to get a possibly concussed player off the field (we have a bunker, put a neurologist in the booth for reviews)? Are we going to ensure playing surfaces are uniformly adhered to and soft for a secondary impact? Is rehab going to be taken away from the club and given to the supervision of an independent neurologist?

So much more can be done but at the end of the day the NRL is in the entertainment business and no one wants to see depleted benches and stars not playing because they may have a neurological injury which isn't as obvious or appreciated as someone that breaks an arm or tears a muscle.

Basically take a leaf out of the NFL playbook and start putting millions away for the lawsuits that will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    This concussion thing is such a joke
    The only thing I've ever seen Condon do right is allow those three to go on.

Players from now on need to be told if u get hit hard and am dazed just get up!! Don't under any circumstances stay down.
    I don't think a Physio has any say whether a bloke plays on. After Greenwood got injured the other night he actually ran the wrong way for a few metres until it registered.
    Frankly I don't like the rule but we have seen the NFL get sued for millions and it will follow here if they don't cover their backsides. As gcboyz says, the worry is that clubs will rort the system for sure and claim a head knock about the time a bloke is due to be subbed off. Frankly they should have left the interchanges the way it was or even increase it to 12 and just say that covers everything, concussions included.

vCash

I really dislike the whole 'rorting' and 'concussion' situation. The rorting is just plain cheating while the rules don't defend the player and/or the team when there is illegal contact. We can go to the bunker over a potential try why can't the bunker determine illegal contact and then send the who-ers off.

Someone goes off HIA from illegal contact, then the offender goes too. They both get substituted. If the HIA player fails to return (only from illegal contact) then the 18th man rule applies.

Last edited by Titanic; 20-03-17 at 08:27 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.