Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2023 NRL Discussion Thread

2023 NRL Discussion Thread

A thread for all the news and views and announcements.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Solid effort from the Dolphins to draw 22-22 with the Cowboys. Shaking my head about Milford getting binned on the stroke of HT. Hope he shakes that out of his game.

World Club Challenge between Penrith v St Helens tonight!

How are we the last game again?

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    And then two more Sunday night games to start off the season.

St Helens with the big upset! Congratulations. Look at that passion at the end of the highlights. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    I would say daylight savings doesn't help .

Paul Green’s rugby league legacy to live on in medal awarded to man of the match
    https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/

Two NRL clubs have come together to honour the legacy of Paul Green in a move which his wife Amanda hopes will serve to raise awareness around brain injury and CTE.

In a fitting tribute to the former Cronulla Sharks great and first coach to lead North Queensland Cowboys to a premiership, Green will be recognised with his very own medal.

The Sharks and Cowboys are poised to announce they will play for the inaugural Paul Green Medal this season, an everlasting reminder of the late footballer’s impact on the game and a reminder to all about the devastating impact of CTE.

The Sharks will host the Cowboys at PointsBet Stadium in round nine on April 27 of the upcoming 2023 NRL season, with the man of the match from the game to be awarded the special medal.

Green’s wife Amanda has accepted the impactful gesture which she says illustrates her husband’s passion for both clubs, after playing 95-games for the Sharks before coaching the Cowboys to the 2015 premiership.

She added that the couple’s two children, Emerson, 14 and Jed, 10, would see the medal as a sign of their father’s deep connection to the game, while hoping that the unique game-day silverware would open up the discussion for CTE awareness and brain bank donations.

“We can only say thankyou to the Sharks and Cowboys for coming together to provide a medal that will ensure Paul’s legacy lives on,’’ Amanda said.

“Paul had so many wonderful connections throughout the game, but it was at the Sharks and Cowboys where he forged deep relationships with both his teammates, club and supporters.

“This will be a wonderful thing for our kids going forward for them to appreciate just how high their dad was held at these clubs.’’

The rugby league world was left shocked last August when it emerged Green had been found dead, aged 49, in his Brisbane home.

A post-mortem following the death of the former Queensland State of Origin player and coach and 2015 premiership-winning coach of the Cowboys, revealed he had suffered from one of most “severe forms” of pure CTE.

“What I would also like to see is the medal raise further discussions around CTE,’’ Amanda said.

“We can’t lose another life like this because it’s just devastating.

“I still have days where I can’t believe we’re where we’re at.

“A day doesn’t go by where I just wish I knew then what I now know about CTE.

“I didn’t even know CTE existed.

“Hopefully this will only add to the education and awareness for families that may be going through what we went through.

“If Professor Michael Buckland (from the Australian Sports Brain Bank) hadn’t contacted us, I would never have known that Paul was suffering from this terrible disease.’’

Amanda added that CTE does not affect everyone but the annual clash between the Sharks and Cowboys can now be about raising awareness for those that may be worried about themselves or their loved ones, and that support and professional help exists.

Sharks CEO Dino Mezzatesta and Cowboys CEO Jeff Reibel described the introduction of the Paul Green Medal as “befitting of a man who deeply impacted both clubs.’’

“When we (Sharks) first raised the idea with Jeff about the Cowboys and Sharks coming together to honour one of our most loved coaches and players, we immediately agreed that our head to head games were the perfect opportunity to make sure we forever honour Paul,’’ Mezzatesta said.

“We wouldn’t do this without Amanda’s blessing. Graciously, she accepted the gesture knowing what impact the Paul Green Medal will have for Emerson and Jed, and also our ability to raise awareness for head injuries in sport.

“Our coach Craig Fitzgibbon and his assistant Josh Hannay are deeply connected to the Green family through previously working with Paul, which gives us great confidence that the players will appreciate how special winning the Paul Green Medal will be.’’

Reibel said the Cowboys round 25 clash in August with Cronulla would support the advocacy by Amanda for greater awareness of CTE.

“Given Paul’s contribution to both the Cowboys and Sharks, we felt compelled to continue Paul’s legacy in a very meaningful and powerful way,’’ Reibel said.

“When Dino and I spoke, we also discussed what we could do to raise awareness around the brain bank and to ensure they’re getting the donations and funding they need.

“At our home game, when we play the Sharks, we will be quite visual throughout the stadium with information and increasing that awareness about the brain bank and CTE. ‘’

NRL 2023 SEASON OPENER - FOX LEAGUE

First Grader

Saw Architects in Byron in 2011 with Parkway, Were so good and openers and it's wild to see them in an NRL opening promo.

Both teams were pretty good but I think the comp is going to be much more even this year between everyone.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 03-03-23 at 04:47 PM.

Yea I see more competition in the middle of the pack.

Knights and Dragons and also Dolphins probably the stragglers. Hoping for the best for the Dolphins.