Page 90 of 102 FirstFirst ... 40 80 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 100 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1527
    Rep Player

I think Boyd has potential but the club is going to have to pull the trigger on a number of roster decisions moving forward as the goodwill from fans is all but worn out. I love the off field work, retention and camaraderie from the team but it all means zero unless we start winning consistently and playing finals footy. One of the key feature of every team is an attacking half and to me tannah doesn’t attack the line/threaten with his kicks etc as we need him to. Like everyone I’m willing to withhold judgement in all players until Des gets a preseason with him but we are nearly out of time waiting on the potential of some players which unfortunately may never be realised

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Moe being a priority? It doesn't seem that way when Clark and BK get extensions before him, then we need to sell the magic beans to pay for a managerial cluster of a sacking resulting in $$$$$$$$$$$ out of the cap for Tino and Dfif.

Lolo in the middle for the Cowboys hasn't helped injuries.
    Bk and Clark would be on pretty low cash and not hurting our cap in anyway where as Mo is going to be on a decent contract. If the rumours about the cap and 2 contracts are true, Tino is on less % for our cap and Fifita is the same as he was going to be on the 800k contract which would've had a ratchet to go up the 19% anyway.

Lolos has had 2 injuries and one was a broken hand at training, In his whole career that's pretty incredible, Tinos super durable as well.

On Boyd, I don't know how much better he can get, He's an odd one because I think he's been good but he also hasn't shown the high level moments of other young 7's around his age imo but probably hasn't had the downs as some of them, I'm not really sure what his ceiling is where I'm more confident in Weaver being an elite 7 but size is a big hurdle for him. We've also just got to stick with someone.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 17-08-23 at 12:45 PM.

Tevita Pangi Hi do you think He is worth 500k to 600k a season would help mo out a lot would alow Tino to goto the edge to last 10 years and we need some big bodies to replace who we will loose over the next few years our front row stocks are low
    If we dont get him I think hw will go Dolphines

On Boyd: halfbacks always boast several supreme skills but not always as attacking players. Boyd's problem is that his skills are his consistency and goal kicking. He's not an attacking weapon nor a defensive machine nor a tactical genius. He needs to add to his game or Des will axe him. However, just like pass selection, you only get rid of someone if you have someone better and right now we don't so he stays. Looking forward to watching Weaver go around but I am not holding my breath.

On Tino: seriously, he can't pass. Everything points at him being that 80 minute 13 except: seriously, he can't pass and at 23 the odds are against him developing the skill. I have my radar on Pahulu for that role eventually but for now it's either Randall as a small forward working with the Verrills rotation or, dare I say it, Clark with some more consistency.

On TPJ: I don't want him and anyway he has got to be a Bennett lock if he continues in league. From my point of view, he is the type of knucklehead best suited to Yawnion where he can bludge at the bottom of the ruck or wander around aimlessly like he does now, then every so often run hard and get the commentators jizzing themselves.
    Last edited by Titanic; 17-08-23 at 03:41 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

First Grader

Never was a great fan of Hunt as a half and imo he was more effective as a hooker which is shown in SOO.

For the money he wants, whilst Hunt is better than what we have at the moment, I don’t think Hunt is value for money for what he is currently on as a half. He hasn’t performed all that great on a consistent basis for the Dragons for many years as a half.

Depending on what happens with Deardon who is yet to sign s contract extension with the Cows for 2025, I would be making a strong play for him if he becomes available and would be much better value for money and he has age on his side and will also gain more experience in SOO.

In respect of Tino and his passing, Haas never had a passing game before this year and now he is very adept. Passing can be taught.
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 17-08-23 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    Never was a great fan of Hunt as a half and imo he was more effective as a hooker which is shown in SOO.

For the money he wants, whilst Hunt is better than what we have at the moment, I don’t think Hunt is value for money for what he is currently on as a half. He hasn’t performed all that great on a consistent basis for the Dragons for many years as a half.

Depending on what happens with Deardon who is yet to sign s contract extension with the Cows for 2025, I would be making a strong play for him if he becomes available and would be much better value for money and he has age on his side and will also gain more experience in SOO.

In respect of Tino and his passing, Haas never had a passing game before this year and now he is very adept. Passing can be taught.
    Indeed a shame we didn't make a play for Deardon when he was on the move. Unfortunately the coaches made another judgement call on our existing half which blew up. Personally, I would try and get Hunt and hopefully when he gives it away we'll have Weaver ready by then, or have a crack at Deardon. I know it's a desperation measure but as 5YC says above, the fan goodwill is just about worn out and we need to start playing finals. I don't think Boyd has a high ceiling and although he has improved slightly, in my opinion we will not go too far with him as our half.

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post

He would be going from operating behind a pack of Liddle, De Belin, Su'a and Murdoch-Masila(?) to Verrills, Tino, Moe, Fifita, Fermor and Godking Chris Randall mate.

Tanah Boyd was always a stopgap untill proven otherwise. But the market as HS has mentioned is pretty gross for decent halfbacks, probably have to overpay a player similar to Boyd or sit back and hope someone comes through. As far as options that COULD be available, you're looking at Luke Keary/Sam Walker, Volkman, Townsend or England for Jacob Miller, Lachlan Lam, Mason Lino types, but looking at most of these we'd better off sticking with Tanah for now.

I unironically think Mitchell Pearce* might be probably the best option outside of Ben Hunt or any random Sam Walker trade/release, would be a decent experienced option there to allow us to kick the can down the road on Tom Weaver's development (size wise mainly), or any Ben Hunt decision. Could play in Q-cup or start at a pinch.

*I don't know if he's been any good in SL or if he's retiring or if he's just heading straight back to Easts for a swansong, in that case just ignore everything I've said lol. Also, Before anyone comes for me, just because I've suggested those guys above doesn't mean I want any of them at all, just looking at what types of 7s could be available.
    Last edited by NZTITAN; 17-08-23 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    Bk and Clark would be on pretty low cash and not hurting our cap in anyway where as Mo is going to be on a decent contract. If the rumours about the cap and 2 contracts are true, Tino is on less % for our cap and Fifita is the same as he was going to be on the 800k contract which would've had a ratchet to go up the 19% anyway.

Lolos has had 2 injuries and one was a broken hand at training, In his whole career that's pretty incredible, Tinos super durable as well.

On Boyd, I don't know how much better he can get, He's an odd one because I think he's been good but he also hasn't shown the high level moments of other young 7's around his age imo but probably hasn't had the downs as some of them, I'm not really sure what his ceiling is where I'm more confident in Weaver being an elite 7 but size is a big hurdle for him. We've also just got to stick with someone.
    What have I missed, Tino was on $800k and now is on a min $1.2? Didn't Dfif just re-sign for less than a mill and after the top end cluster F he's now back on over a mill? If BK and Clark are on minimums then that's great news. My definition of a priority obviously differs to yours and the clubs.

Yep half backs are very thin but please Baby Jesus let Weaver be the one.
    Regardless we need an insurance policy so now would be a great time to chase Sam Walker IMO (we have history with Uncle) and I feel Tracy Conner is a good late maturing player and if given an opportunity and the environment (under Sorry) to have a full pre-season at half he just might become that rags to riches story we all love.

The Mo sitch is pretty straightforward I think

He’s not off contract until ‘25 so they’ll do what they usually do and extend him before November 1 of ‘23 to stop other clubs being able to make offers for ‘25+. Seems to be the usual strategy (like they did with forum favourite Erin Clark, as well as Fermor, Sami, Verrills and Randall recently).

As long as Mo’s sorted before then we’re sweet. If not it’s not ideal but we’ve got 12 months to sort it albeit with other clubs able to make offers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    I feel Tracy Conner is a good late maturing player and if given an opportunity and the environment (under Sorry) to have a full pre-season at half he just might become that rags to riches story we all love.
    How good is Connor Tracey. Junior star who had a nightmare run with injuries finally finding his feet in NRL. Big fan

Just thinking about our squad mix and do we possibly run out next season with a forward pack of:

Props Tino & Mo
    2nd Row Fifita & Fermor
    Lock Chris Randall (if he bulks up a little, got the mongrel and can play 20min at hooker. Sort of a cheese dynamic at Storm).

Or do we trial Tino in lock and roll out our strongest forwards, (I feel Tino could develop into a lock, pretty high game IQ)

Props Jolifee & Mo
    2nd Row Fifita & Fermor
    Lock Tino

Want to know your guys thoughts on the above to starting packs for next year?

Would still love to have one extra big prop so we can match it with physical big boy teams.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    What have I missed, Tino was on $800k and now is on a min $1.2? Didn't Dfif just re-sign for less than a mill and after the top end cluster F he's now back on over a mill? If BK and Clark are on minimums then that's great news. My definition of a priority obviously differs to yours and the clubs.
    I've seen Tino much more estimated on 900k/1m this year and every year till 2026 was going up 100k up to 1.2m on the current cap. 1.1m on the new cap is the same as 900k on the old one. Fifita signed for 800k for next year which automatically would've went up with ratchet clauses to around the 1m on the new deal under the new cap so it's no different to the deal he signed earlier in the year.

Pretty much everyone in the league got a 19% upgrade, Tino and Davids numbers are just according to next years cap while everyone elses numbers haven't been adjusted. I'd say Tino and Dave have been the priority over everything and now Moe will be.

Rep Player

I’d take Brodie Jones from the Knights. Off contract and apparently not going to be re-signed. Don’t know why — has looked decent whenever I’ve seen him play.

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    Just thinking about our squad mix and do we possibly run out next season with a forward pack of:

Props Tino & Mo
    2nd Row Fifita & Fermor
    Lock Chris Randall (if he bulks up a little, got the mongrel and can play 20min at hooker. Sort of a cheese dynamic at Storm).

Or do we trial Tino in lock and roll out our strongest forwards, (I feel Tino could develop into a lock, pretty high game IQ)

Props Jolifee & Mo
    2nd Row Fifita & Fermor
    Lock Tino

Want to know your guys thoughts on the above to starting packs for next year?

Would still love to have one extra big prop so we can match it with physical big boy teams.
    Randall or Clark seem like the obvious choices moving forward for Lock. Liu was given too many chances this season and I swear he'd drop the ball twice a set if it was possible to do so.

If we want to bring someone in, here are the current players who can play Lock (that are known for playing that position more) that are coming off contract at seasons end:
    Nathan Brown (30) - Roosters. 148 games played. Didn't really impress me much this season, and is suspended anyhow.

Mitchell Dunn (26) - Cowboys. 57 Games worth of experience although hasn't played this much year. Still somewhat young though and a big fella too.

Riley Price (22) - Cowboys. The most inexperienced on this list, with only 2 games worth of first grade experience. Wouldn't seem like a viable option.

Kurt Mann (30) - Knights. Has the most experience on this list with 175 games worth. Similar size to Randall.

Connor Watson (28) - Roosters. 125 games worth of experience but has not played this whole season due to a patellar tendon injury.

Watson wouldn't be a bad pick up. He's versatile and could provide decent coverage off the bench.

I'd have Joliffe off the bench for impact. Mo has proven that he can and will play 80 minutes, as can Tino (although Tino gets gassed quicker than Mo).

8. Mo
    9. Verrils
    10. Tino
    11. Fifi
    12. Fermor
    13. Clark
    14. Randall?
    15. Joliffe
    16. Alick? Or Palasia?
    17. Iszac?

Take that bench with a grain of salt as it will be hard to pick with all the players that can potentially play from the bench (especially with the headache of trying to fit AJ, JC and Kini into the same squad if we are). And I know we most likely won't leave Liu out but in my head fantasy, he does not get picked by Des. Plus I want to go off of size for the moment.

However, Randall is more versatile than Clark, and can cover Hooker and Lock off the bench. As much as I'd love to start Randall and drop Clark, Clark is starting to impress me for the first time ever. Joliffe is a definite yes for the bench as he won't start over Mo or Tino. Alick in his first game ran for 124m off the bench, plus is averaging 119m per game in Q Cup (need to lock him down asap). But we did sign Keenan for a reason and it's obviously to not sit in Q cup for two years either. Iszac also is one of our bigger bodies (110kg).

This is deadass the hardest thing trying to figure out how we can line up for next year I tell you. Plus looking at it, definitely a cooked bench due to inexperience in a sense but trying to figure out which player's are the best is impossible until pre season starts.
    Last edited by Appsy; 17-08-23 at 10:58 PM.

We always seem to lose the ruck and battle in the middle struggling for field position always kicking from our own 30 metre line so maybe Tino lock and mo and Jolliffe up front gives us more go forward