Page 89 of 102 FirstFirst ... 39 79 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 99 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 1527

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    My guy, it's been about three years and you're still rolling that one out out-of-context to try and oversimplify what I meant I dare say that Brisbane being a top 3 defensive side in the comp has gone a long way to their success this year as well, especially after again missing the 8 last year! Do you think if Reynolds came to us we would be in the same position as Brisbane atm?

Tom Weaver only turned 20 this year MT. He's not taking a hell of a long time to be ready. He's a child lol. Needs to develop physically and subsequently the defensive side of the ball (which I'm sure you would've seen from following the comments closely here).
    Not out of context at all. Quite simply you said Reynolds would be of no benefit to us, and I still think that was an interesting view. It's two years by the way that he's been up there. No, I don't think that if Reynolds came to us we would be in the same position as the Broncs but I'm pretty certain we would be much higher up the ladder than we are - certainly in the 8. He would have iced a couple of those games we let slip. Your point about the Broncs improved defence is absolutely valid. The other aspect has been their great attack particularly of recent times where he and Walsh have been killing it.

I guess the main reason for making my initial post was to gently let you know that not all of our opinions are wrong. As a few have commented recently, your posts often come across as patronising and as a know all. One of the reasons I disappeared from commenting for a while was that you said my posts were direct and that I wrote as if my opinion was final. I think you have taken over from me in that regard. Just my opinion, of course.

Take your point about Weaver. I guess it's just the comments on here over the years made me think he would be there by now, and certainly many halfbacks have hit NRL by the age of 20. That age is not a child these days at NRL level. I haven't seen him in QCup this year but other games, albeit at a more junior level, made me think he'd be there by now. Yes, I've noted the comments about his lack of physicality and defence and accept them of course as I haven't seen him recently. I'm a bit wary of pumping up our juniors as the world beater comments were made about Elgey and Sexton and we know what happened there. I'm really looking forward to seeing Tom this weekend and hope it's the start of a long journey for him.

Just my two cents mate. Not trying to be a smart a or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Not out of context at all. Quite simply you said Reynolds would be of no benefit to us, and I still think that was an interesting view. It's two years by the way that he's been up there. No, I don't think that if Reynolds came to us we would be in the same position as the Broncs but I'm pretty certain we would be much higher up the ladder than we are - certainly in the 8. He would have iced a couple of those games we let slip. Your point about the Broncs improved defence is absolutely valid. The other aspect has been their great attack particularly of recent times where he and Walsh have been killing it.

I guess the main reason for making my initial post was to gently let you know that not all of our opinions are wrong. As a few have commented recently, your posts often come across as patronising and as a know all. One of the reasons I disappeared from commenting for a while was that you said my posts were direct and that I wrote as if my opinion was final. I think you have taken over from me in that regard. Just my opinion, of course.

Take your point about Weaver. I guess it's just the comments on here over the years made me think he would be there by now, and certainly many halfbacks have hit NRL by the age of 20. That age is not a child these days at NRL level. I haven't seen him in QCup this year but other games, albeit at a more junior level, made me think he'd be there by now. Yes, I've noted the comments about his lack of physicality and defence and accept them of course as I haven't seen him recently. I'm a bit wary of pumping up our juniors as the world beater comments were made about Elgey and Sexton and we know what happened there. I'm really looking forward to seeing Tom this weekend and hope it's the start of a long journey for him.

Just my two cents mate. Not trying to be a smart a or the like.
    To be clear - I said he wouldn't make a difference [because our defence was still so bad, it wouldn't move the needle enough to make a difference to our premiership prospects]. I probably didn't explain it well enough though - and as such, am happy to take the **** forever . So long as I can throw your AJ not being a fullback thing back, even though it's look like he actually might not be anymore

Yep, I hear you MT. I'll stand by my opinions and am always diligent in explaining my perspective instead of just offering it arrogantly as the be-all end-all without some genuine rationale behind it. Sometimes I can go about this better. We all probably can (except for you Mr Bods please come back I miss you). I'm sorry to hear that what I said made you leave for a bit, and I do think this is something we can discuss as adults without any passive aggressive barbs so if you want to chat further on it my DM's are open.

Yeah, I agree with not over-pumping juniors. It's happened forever and is easy to interpret that way when commentary on a players ability is almost always in the context of their own age group/level of footy (it's only going to get worse now with the CM/DT increasing their coverage of junior comps). The best way to interpret it I think is not to assume that because they're being spoken about in such high regard at junior level, that it means they'll translate that to even Qcup let alone NRL. Each level presents another test. I've written quite a bit about realistic expectations with junior progressions/pathways to NRL and try to keep it as down to earth as possible in the JTS thread if you ever want to stop by and get a gauge on how our young guys are going (just from my opinion of course).

Tommy is behind size-wise to where he needs to be, but is ahead in other areas. Getting bigger and stronger is going to be a non-negotiable for him to be an NRL player. Same goes for a few of the other Northern Rivers juniors we've got in our system at a similar age.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 16-08-23 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    To be clear - I said he wouldn't make a difference [because our defence was still so bad, it wouldn't move the needle enough to make a difference to our premiership prospects]. I probably didn't explain it well enough though - and as such, am happy to take the **** forever . So long as I can throw your AJ not being a fullback thing back, even though it's look like he actually might not be anymore

Yep, I hear you MT. I'll stand by my opinions and am always diligent in explaining my perspective instead of just offering it arrogantly as the be-all end-all without some genuine rationale behind it. Sometimes I can go about this better. We all probably can (except for you Mr Bods please come back I miss you). I'm sorry to hear that what I said made you leave for a bit, and I do think this is something we can discuss as adults without any passive aggressive barbs so if you want to chat further on it my DM's are open.

Yeah, I agree with not over-pumping juniors. It's happened forever and is easy to interpret that way when commentary on a players ability is almost always in the context of their own age group/level of footy (it's only going to get worse now with the CM/DT increasing their coverage of junior comps). The best way to interpret it I think is not to assume that because they're being spoken about in such high regard at junior level, that it means they'll translate that to even Qcup let alone NRL. Each level presents another test. I've written quite a bit about realistic expectations with junior progressions/pathways to NRL and try to keep it as down to earth as possible in the JTS thread if you ever want to stop by and get a gauge on how our young guys are going (just from my opinion of course).

Tommy is behind size-wise to where he needs to be, but is ahead in other areas. Getting bigger and stronger is going to be a non-negotiable for him to be an NRL player. Same goes for a few of the other Northern Rivers juniors we've got in our system at a similar age.
    All good HS and I've said my bit and time to move on. Your memory is good as well, although the AJ situation as it has developed has me stuffed. Don't know where he'll end up.

Yes, you have always been circumspect when it comes to the juniors and I've noticed the DT gives much more publicity to the schools in particular. Speaking of the DT and I know this is the wrong thread but, just briefly, they had a big spread a while back about the U19 Origin and they had a profile on each player from both States. They had the NRL club they were contracted/linked to and I couldn't see any contracted to us? Did I miss one or two?

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    All good HS and I've said my bit and time to move on. Your memory is good as well, although the AJ situation as it has developed has me stuffed. Don't know where he'll end up.

Yes, you have always been circumspect when it comes to the juniors and I've noticed the DT gives much more publicity to the schools in particular. Speaking of the DT and I know this is the wrong thread but, just briefly, they had a big spread a while back about the U19 Origin and they had a profile on each player from both States. They had the NRL club they were contracted/linked to and I couldn't see any contracted to us? Did I miss one or two?
    He posted all this about a month ago on this forum (Whenever the origin u19s was named) for that age group (not sure what post, Pretty sure the JTS one).

5 of our best juniors right now are NZ due to being bought over after 15... Pahulu was injured and would have been QLD captain probably, Noone knows what Seth is eligible for right now and Stepheson is 17.... We had had 4 in the NSW squad last year.

Kids coming over from NZ aren't getting the same rep games... Also where are the 20 year old halfbacks????
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 16-08-23 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    Also where are the 20 year old halfbacks????
    Just for starters, these blokes made their debut around 19/20 years of age.

Tom Dearden
    Sam Walker
    Luke Keary
    Isaiya Katoa (currently 19)
    Nathan Cleary
    Ben Hunt
    Lachy Ilias

- - - Updated - - -

We're lucky we got Foran depsite what most think here, We needed a vet and to get him for way less then others around who teaches our guys how to be a professional off the field in every way was a huge bonus.
    I also agree with you re Foran, although considering my avatar that may not surprise. Yep, he is pretty much busted these days but I think he's added a fair bit and I think he's a major reason Fifita has improved a lot this year.
    There are plenty of people in Manly that would gladly let the Titans have Schuster to get Foz back.

A big concern for me is who will replace Cherry in the 7 for QLD. I don't think there are any obvious standouts.

Quote Originally Posted by MaroonTitan View Post
    A big concern for me is who will replace Cherry in the 7 for QLD. I don't think there are any obvious standouts.
    That would be Deardon for me.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

First Grader

And Weaver will join that group on Saturday, I should of said performing 20 year olds. We had chosen Toby as the guy, Hindsight we would've went after Reynolds but I can see why we didn't at the time.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4fx...9d9ffe995942ec

Interview with Steve Mitchell today, If people didn't like Tino talking about a 7/Hunt don't listen to this hahaha. Priority is an experienced 7 if they come on the market and hopes Fifita and Tino bring that person. Des has been doing a lot in the background setting up frameworks and allocating resourcing, Lenihans job has been to make the team show some grit and sounds like Moe is a priority to get signed up out of everyone.

Issue I have with this talk about the halfback is that there's none available imo and it's a bit of hopeful thinking, We need to do it ourselves imo and we're potentially going into our 4th year of changing our 7 if we go with someone else then Tannah.

First Grader

Theres no way Hunt doesn’t keep pushing HARD for a release during the off season, despite media reports about him staying. If need be I reckon it will get messy and he’ll push the homesick card. I’m sure the club is aware of this and has talked to him too, if they thought Hunt was no chance they’d be pushing the narrative that Tanah has our full support.

First Grader

What did Mitchell mean when he said “Des sees Tino as a middle service player in the future”?

First Grader

Sounds like he could be our 13 moving forward, Didn't catch that the first time, pretty interesting and stops Tino getting beat up as much potentially. We have Jolliffe, Moe, Keenan and one of the young props who can do most of the dirty work and if Tino can have guys hanging off him thinking he's going out the back our attack would benefit big time.

Tinos imo our worse passer out of the forwards so hopefully Des sprinkles some magic on him, It's crazy to think Tino is 23 and still has a fair bit of improvement in him.

Lenihans job has been to make the team show some grit and sounds like Moe is a priority to get signed up out of everyone.
    This is music to my ears !

Issue I have with this talk about the halfback is that there's none available imo and it's a bit of hopeful thinking, We need to do it ourselves imo and we're potentially going into our 4th year of changing our 7 if we go with someone else then Tannah.
    This is one of my main reasons why I keep defending Tanah. I am very self aware that there are better options out there, but they just aren't available. He needs the right coach to unlock that next level. I believe Des will be that coach. Look what Des did with DCE when he debuted.

But, there also comes a time where reality strikes. Do we keep Tanah at 7 or use a new round 1 starting halves combo next year?
    If Weaver performs well, do we opt for him?

And I know having an experienced 7 will be key, but I still personally do not want two mid-30 year olds in the halves for a season or 2 at most together before they decide to hang up the boots. We can have one or the other.

Anyone know if we're making plays for any 5/8s? Or will that be given to JC so we can fit AJ and Kini in the squad too?
    Last edited by Appsy; 17-08-23 at 12:14 PM.

First Grader

Agree about Tino being one of our worst passers and I feel like making him the link man would take away from his strengths, but at the same time you raise a good point about less wear and tear on his body. In my opinion Randall is our best option at 13, he has the passing game as a hooker and can be a tackle bot in the middle. Let him provide the ballplaying and the big boys can take the big hitups. Clark is a similar mold and could also be a good option if Des can get the crap out of his game.

Moe being a priority? It doesn't seem that way when Clark and BK get extensions before him, then we need to sell the magic beans to pay for a managerial cluster of a sacking resulting in $$$$$$$$$$$ out of the cap for Tino and Dfif.

Lolo in the middle for the Cowboys hasn't helped injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    Appsy, being Boyd’s biggest fan could you tell me what improvement you think he’s made since coming into the NRL as a 7 this year and where you see his potential? I’m curious to know as I’m probably his biggest critic on here and watch his game very closely. Also, how long would you give him a chance for? Sexton got 3/4 of a season and Boyd has now had a full season. If he doesn’t improve drastically next year then we likely miss the 8 again.

The article above is great but we will not get anywhere without a decent 7. Period. We don’t have enough leadership in the team to cover not having a controlling 7, which is why both Sexton and Boyd, and soon to be Weaver, are on a hiding to nothing. I will openly say that I think we made the wrong decision letting Sexton go to keep Boyd, but if Sexton was kept, I still think that we need a dominating and mature half to steer this young team around. Foran was brought here for that reason but is has not been enough to make up for that deficiency. Only in 3-4 years, once all these long term players have matured, will we be in a real position to foster young playmakers.
    The kid's improved immensely, and he's done majority of the work in the halves this year. Foran had maybe 2 games where he was decent, but other than that, left most things to Boyd. Boyd can also kick goals like no tomorrow. If we are to drop him, it better be for someone who has an excellent strike rate similar to Boyd's.

He just needs to be given the chance to take it all to the next level. He needs to be unlocked, especially under a coach that doesn't accept bs. But, if it is proven that everything he's done is his best, then I will take a step back and admit where I am wrong. I just do not want to keep rotating halves and resetting the on field playing experience this group has with one another.