Page 61 of 102 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 71 ... LastLast
    First Grader

All kids should be shown photos of what it's like to live in that area

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by MaroonTitan View Post
    That all makes sense to me NZF. The only thing I'll add is that Foran, AJ, Weaver are left side players. Toby and Boyd are currently our only right side halves. I'm not sure how much that matters with these particular players but there are a few good players in the NRL that struggle on their other side. I'm also not sure if JC and Kini have a preferred side of the field but they both look so dynamic, I imagine they can play either without a problem. Better judges on here will have a more complete view. I'd love to hear it.

I also think we need to keep Lofi unless he capitulates dramatically this year. And Kelly, Vuna, Sam Mac, and Alick will be lucky to get the other spot. If Big Thomas comes off this year, he might even get a short term deal next year for the second spot.

Of those off contract at the end of 2024, Toby looks the most vulnerable. You would think Spry is a long term project, Sami and Mo might be two others if they can't make grade towards the end of the year but unlikely I think. Can't imagine we'd move Randall on either but it's early days and what if Leeming is a must have? All the rest expiring in 2024 are guns. Time will tell.
    That’s a fair point MT. Toby (and Tanah but he can play both) is the only true right side halve that we currently have in the squad . I must admit I haven’t seen a lot of Weavers game so can’t comment on whether he could transition to a right side player. Either way it is hard to see how we fit everyone into the squad. AJ is the key player that we must keep but I do think that we should be doing everything that we possibly can to keep Jayden. Our club currently doesn’t have a real identity and I think that he is a big part of it moving forward.

If we do sign Lofi and BK, which of all of the off contract players next year are the most logical to re-sign, some tough decisions are going to need to be made. I feel that we are still short a forward leader that can bring some aggression. If the right one comes on the market that would leave Liu and Mo as options for a trade. I think that we could afford to lose Sami but what would we look to replace him with? A centre? The signing of Maumalo was really odd for me. I could understand if it was a short term thing but he’s signed for another two years. I hope we don’t lose Lofi because he can’t get game time behind Ken.

Sucks to say but unfortunately JC is going to possibly be our 3rd best fullback by the end of 2024 and that's not because he isn't good, it's just that AJ is AJ and Keano Kini is as good a prospect at that age since Reece Walsh. I'd love to keep JC and we're fortunate that he's the perfect 14 at the moment (IMO) but unless he is comfortable there for the mid-long term, or he wants to become a genuine 5/8, centre or a floating utility here, then there's probably going to be another club willing to give him more of an opportunity as a fullback eventually.

I think the Maumalo signing makes sense just to raise the floor of the wing position, get some more experience in that room, and give us a dynamic we didn't have there - size. Also gives the option to move Jojo to centre more comfortably. I'm a Lofi believer but he's yet to win a contested high-ball in the NRL (and struggles even uncontested), and his error rate is really bad. Throw in the defensive question marks that still linger and you've got his three biggest deficiencies from Qcup translating to NRL and he's got to improve to hold that spot. He's still got age on his side and I think he'll get there but I wouldn't say he's a proven NRL player yet and needs time to develop his game.

Halves conundrum is a really tough one but carrying 5 halves + AJ, JC and Keano isn't a great use of spots right now. Come 2025 we'll have a fair bit of roster turnover, and by that stage I think AJ and Keano will be priority 1 & 2 to fit into the 13 (from the halves/fullback group) and they'll work the rest of the roster out including depth around that. All of Boyd, Weaver, Sexton, Foran and JC are off-contract end of 2024 so it will come down to how a few storylines pan out - Boyd's progress as a 7, Weaver's development in Qcup (notably physically and defensively), Sexton's possible redemption arc, Foran's health and possible retirement, and what JC wants to do of he isn't the Titans fullback.

Saw a mention up there of what side they play so I'll weigh in with my observations - Sexton right side, Tanah plays both, Weaver looks better on the left but has played plenty on the right, AJ left, JC who knows have only seen him play left, Keano ball plays more on the left side. Foran left as we know.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 07-04-23 at 01:18 PM.

Rep Player

The JC situation is very unfortunate. Son of a club legend and all around great kid. Would love to keep him but he’s too good to just be a utility. I think the best outcome would be that he goes down to Melbourne and gets coached by Billy Slater (assuming he takes over from Bellamy).

First Grader

I don't know if there's actually that big of a market for JC right now besides Tigers and I can't see him wanting to go there unless he just wants to start. As much as I love JC I can only probably find 2-3 FBs he's better then who are starting and those guys are Perem and Sloan who are both young. Bulldogs have Crighton going there to play FB I believe and Dragons seem set on Sloan or Ramsey when he comes back. Dolphins have Hammer and Herbie going there to play FB. Besides when the Parra talk popped up there wasn't any talk of him being pursued. From all accounts Paps is going to be back for Melbourne sooner then later.

I reckon there's a place in the starting team long term and him being a local and Prestons kid, We're going to do the right thing by him either way. I'm not counting JC out on taking the centre or 5/8th spot yet or wing potentially. He doesn't seem to be upset playing 14 and he's been getting a lot of game time anyway.

I decided to torture myself and watch a few Leeds games this morning with Leeming (they're on Kayo) and was more impressed then I thought I'd be. He's very quick off the mark, got a pretty good kicking game long range and short, Defence could be an issue but it's hard to tell when you look at his teammates, It's an all stars for bad defenders. He doesn't have great contact from what I could tell though.

I really hope he can cope with the NRL because it could be a very good pick up. I'd probably compare him Jake Granville/Tom Starling. He's run first but has good skills and athletic.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 07-04-23 at 02:01 PM.

Great discussion. I think JC is a keeper as his versatility is fantastic for our squad. I can see him even playing anywhere from 1-7 if injuries dictate and I'm loving him as a 14.

I agree with HS though, that he is looking likely to be our third best FB but he might be our second best in other positions too.

I can see a future where we are:
    1 Kini
    6 AJ
    7 Weaver

We'll need Boyd or someone else as a backup 7. JC covers the 1 and 6 and I'm imagining our centres are Schoupp and Jojo.

The wings are where my crystal ball gets foggy. I'd love it to be Lofi on the left, having fixed all his deficiencies but not sure on the right. Ken is a good buy for us now but may not last. Sami is at a crucial point in his career. Who else is coming through?

Hopefully a bright future.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Sucks to say but unfortunately JC is going to possibly be our 3rd best fullback by the end of 2024 and that's not because he isn't good, it's just that AJ is AJ and Keano Kini is as good a prospect at that age since Reece Walsh. I'd love to keep JC and we're fortunate that he's the perfect 14 at the moment (IMO) but unless he is comfortable there for the mid-long term, or he wants to become a genuine 5/8, centre or a floating utility here, then there's probably going to be another club willing to give him more of an opportunity as a fullback eventually.

I think the Maumalo signing makes sense just to raise the floor of the wing position, get some more experience in that room, and give us a dynamic we didn't have there - size. Also gives the option to move Jojo to centre more comfortably. I'm a Lofi believer but he's yet to win a contested high-ball in the NRL (and struggles even uncontested), and his error rate is really bad. Throw in the defensive question marks that still linger and you've got his three biggest deficiencies from Qcup translating to NRL and he's got to improve to hold that spot. He's still got age on his side and I think he'll get there but I wouldn't say he's a proven NRL player yet and needs time to develop his game.

Halves conundrum is a really tough one but carrying 5 halves + AJ, JC and Keano isn't a great use of spots right now. Come 2025 we'll have a fair bit of roster turnover, and by that stage I think AJ and Keano will be priority 1 & 2 to fit into the 13 (from the halves/fullback group) and they'll work the rest of the roster out including depth around that. All of Boyd, Weaver, Sexton, Foran and JC are off-contract end of 2024 so it will come down to how a few storylines pan out - Boyd's progress as a 7, Weaver's development in Qcup (notably physically and defensively), Sexton's possible redemption arc, Foran's health and possible retirement, and what JC wants to do of he isn't the Titans fullback.

Saw a mention up there of what side they play so I'll weigh in with my observations - Sexton right side, Tanah plays both, Weaver looks better on the left but has played plenty on the right, AJ left, JC who knows have only seen him play left, Keano ball plays more on the left side. Foran left as we know.
    Agree with all this, except I might be in the minority where I'm actually not really a Lofi believer. I don't have a problem with him personally and would love to eat serious crow, but I'll take any bet with anyone here that he'll give his second team more value than his first. Obvious elite speed and finishing but i'm going to need to see something positive literally anywhere else for me to move him out of the 'special teamer' category that Greg Marzhew was in.

For me moving forward the backline locks are Kini, Brimson, Schoupp and Jojo. Phillip Sami probably there aswell. Huge lockdown centre combo maybe the best in the game.

I actually think the position we are going to struggle with big time shortly is going to be #13. Isaac Liu probably closing in on the curtains, Erin Clark hasn't put his hand up yet, and really a roster that's got a lot of Props and edge-backrowers. Unless Palasia comes in and does a job there I think we'll have to hit the market.

Quote Originally Posted by MaroonTitan View Post
    Great discussion. I think JC is a keeper as his versatility is fantastic for our squad. I can see him even playing anywhere from 1-7 if injuries dictate and I'm loving him as a 14.

I agree with HS though, that he is looking likely to be our third best FB but he might be our second best in other positions too.

I can see a future where we are:
    1 Kini
    6 AJ
    7 Weaver

We'll need Boyd or someone else as a backup 7. JC covers the 1 and 6 and I'm imagining our centres are Schoupp and Jojo.

The wings are where my crystal ball gets foggy. I'd love it to be Lofi on the left, having fixed all his deficiencies but not sure on the right. Ken is a good buy for us now but may not last. Sami is at a crucial point in his career. Who else is coming through?

Hopefully a bright future.
    Jaxon Paulo from Chooks is apparently only being offered a minimum contract next year…..maybe he will come home

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by NZTITAN View Post
    Agree with all this, except I might be in the minority where I'm actually not really a Lofi believer. I don't have a problem with him personally and would love to eat serious crow, but I'll take any bet with anyone here that he'll give his second team more value than his first. Obvious elite speed and finishing but i'm going to need to see something positive literally anywhere else for me to move him out of the 'special teamer' category that Greg Marzhew was in.

For me moving forward the backline locks are Kini, Brimson, Schoupp and Jojo. Phillip Sami probably there aswell. Huge lockdown centre combo maybe the best in the game.

I actually think the position we are going to struggle with big time shortly is going to be #13. Isaac Liu probably closing in on the curtains, Erin Clark hasn't put his hand up yet, and really a roster that's got a lot of Props and edge-backrowers. Unless Palasia comes in and does a job there I think we'll have to hit the market.
    I wouldn't really expect too much from Palasia, from what I've seen this year I can't say I'm impressed at all. He's in the most dominant team in the comp at the moment which should make his role a lot easier, but he's been their weakest link so far and seems to have a few errors in him. I'd say this will be his last week in first grade and Hetherington will be back next week against us. Too early to judge him at this stage of his career but I had high hopes when we signed him and now I'm a lot less optimistic.

Honestly I’m fine with Palasia despite him having a pretty muted role in that Broncos pack this year. His 2022 season was good and he’s shown he’s a big contributor when he has more responsibility in a pack

Not unusual for a guy on contract somewhere else to feel less love and play accordingly. Palasia looked good last year and I think his best will be with us next year.

Jaxon Paulo is rocks and diamonds still. I think Bennett saw more potential in him than anyone. I'm not sure he's what we need but extra marks always for former juniors.

Very interested in T.Francis this year. He's a big unit and had a good game on the wing by all reports last week. Mdrew says he's a centre, so I really want to see him given a chance there in QCup and maybe come Round 11, he can press for a spot. I haven't written him off yet, despite him seemingly having fallen out of favour. I love aggression in a big, fast man and he's got it.
    Last edited by MaroonTitan; 07-04-23 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Titslover View Post
    I wouldn't really expect too much from Palasia, from what I've seen this year I can't say I'm impressed at all. He's in the most dominant team in the comp at the moment which should make his role a lot easier, but he's been their weakest link so far and seems to have a few errors in him. I'd say this will be his last week in first grade and Hetherington will be back next week against us. Too early to judge him at this stage of his career but I had high hopes when we signed him and now I'm a lot less optimistic.
    Oh yeah just making it clear I'm not putting up my "Palasia for #13 2024" campaign, was just suggesting he might actually be the only guy we have on the roster that could play there in a couple of years if Erin Clark continues to not perform.

I reckon Clarke will last exactly this week, then Leeming overtakes him and the week after Leeming relegates Randall to the bench. We can’t continue to carry pop-gun forwards. When Crystal Verrills returns then Leeming should make a good 14. I backed Clarke but he has been very very ordinary.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

First Grader

2 top 4 sides don't rate him enough to think he's really that worthwhile in rabbits and chooks, but sure let's sign him to fix our issues....honestly there's a reason he keeps getting let go by clubs

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    2 top 4 sides don't rate him enough to think he's really that worthwhile in rabbits and chooks, but sure let's sign him to fix our issues....honestly there's a reason he keeps getting let go by clubs
    Who’s this?