Page 88 of 102 FirstFirst ... 38 78 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 98 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 1527

I don’t know what resources we have access to but I’d now strategically align all the club sides between Tweed and Ippy to suffocate the Traitorous Bears.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Why would a QRL club align with us if our intention is to send all our decent players to Tweed?

And why would we provide funding for a club when our intention isn’t to send them any players?

And why would we take on the additional logistical work/expense of having to send players out of SEQ for training and games on the weekend when it’s outside of our natural pathway/catchment zone anyway.

I don’t see it making sense mate. Cows were fortunate they could fleece Pride & Cutters by playing to the new allocation rules to their own benefit, but they were also happy to wear the collateral that came with that because they had the intention of fielding their own Qcup side in 2024. Like us, they’re not able to do so, but they’ve got existing agreements in place they can fall back on.
    If a club aligns with us, it's not soley on the basis of receiving NRL standard players. There are many other aspects they look for. Such as giving their players a chance to break into the NRL is a huge consideration. Giving them access to our facilities and expertise etc

These things and more come under the umbrella of our business brains trust. Putting together offers and agreements between ourselves and any potential affiliate is one of the things our brains trust is for.

How many feeder clubs do the Storm have? For '24 they'll have 3. The tigers and falcons in qld and the bears in nsw. Hmmm...Uh-oh! LOL. What do they offer in return?

I'm not sure prior agreements would negate the criteria meeting justifiabilty of newly established agreements. One for the legal boys.
    Last edited by Menoitios; 13-08-23 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    It was kind of obvious since they were the closest team not getting players from anyone, They were/are the only real option, Apparently Roosters are still with Ipswich as well.

I don't think the Ipswich situation is that bad personally, We've got a decent connection to the area with quite a lot of players coming from there in our squad/juniors. It's not ideal but I think it makes sense in a few ways.
    I think it makes sense in a lot of ways (but then again...I've run my own business for nearly 25 years lol)

I picked the jets a few pages back, not based on geographical location, but based on the fact they are struggling. I threw the capras up because they like coin and historically hardly ever get/expect NRL players to front up on game day. Bit different now they're with the phins and the capras are looking more solid.

From a business point of view, and league is a business...by affiliating with a couple of strugglers and offering them other incentives would mean we could load Tweed and reap the benefits in the future under the new rules.

It's not about trying to invent new rules, or breaking existing rules. It's about bending and stretching the current rules and regulations. LOL!

Rugby league success 101!

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    If a club aligns with us, it's not soley on the basis of receiving NRL standard players. There are many other aspects they look for. Such as giving their players a chance to break into the NRL is a huge consideration. Giving them access to our facilities and expertise etc

These things and more come under the umbrella of our business brains trust. Putting together offers and agreements between ourselves and any potential affiliate is one of the things our brains trust is for.

How many feeder clubs do the Storm have? What do they offer in return?

I'm not sure prior agreements would negate the criteria meeting justifiabilty of newly established agreements. One for the legal boys.
    Yeah mate I know, but what aspects can you think of that satisfy all of a) make sense for the QRL club, and b) make sense for the Titans from an ROI perspective and c) can co-exist with the idea that we're inevitably going to field our own Qcup side as soon as we possibly can and both sides are aware of this.

I don't think any of those three things you've mentioned in your update post are of much consideration at all in reality mate, it's all intangible.

Storm have Easts, SC and Nth Syd Bears. Sunshine Coast had the longest losing streak in Qcup until Storm aligned with them and gave them players. Easts give Melbourne a foothold in Brisbane, which they need given that so many of their pathway players are based there or relocated there from NZ for the Langer Cup schools program and their development. Nth Syd gives them a NSW equivalent. Given Melb don't have local development systems on the scale of SEQ and NSW, they tap into existing systems there to share resources, provide a pathway for their juniors in those areas, and give their players a place to go back to and play at a high level. Melbourne have to have greater expenditure in this area because of where their NRL side is based. It's pretty obv how each of those respective sides benefit from the Melb alignment if you flip the coin. They're also the Melbourne Storm - so can afford more than we can - much like how Brisbane's offer to Burleigh consisted of a lot more dollars than ours.

The Cows didn't need newly established agreements because they had existing ones in place. Affiliate arrangements generally run for multiple years.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 13-08-23 at 05:32 PM.

Yeah mate I know, but what aspects can you think of that satisfy all of a) make sense for the QRL club, and b) make sense for the Titans from an ROI perspective and c) can co-exist with the idea that we're inevitably going to field our own Qcup side as soon as we possibly can and both sides are aware of this.

Storm have Easts, SC and Nth Syd Bears. Sunshine Coast had the longest losing streak in Qcup until Storm aligned with them and gave them players. Easts give Melbourne a foothold in Brisbane, which they need given that so many of their pathway players are based there or relocated there from NZ for the Langer Cup schools program and their development. Nth Syd gives them a NSW equivalent. Given Melb don't have local development systems on the scale of SEQ and NSW, they tap into existing systems there to share resources, provide a pathway for their juniors in those areas, and give their players a place to go back to and play at a high level. Melbourne have to have greater expenditure in this area because of where their NRL side is based. It's pretty obv how each of those respective sides benefit from the Melb alignment if you flip the coin. They're also the Melbourne Storm - so can afford more than we can - much like how Brisbane's offer to Burleigh consisted of a lot more dollars than ours.

The Cows didn't need newly established agreements because they had existing ones in place. Affiliate arrangements generally run for multiple years.
    The thing is mate...it's not for you or I to come up with plans or ideas on how to...(a) convince a QRL club to hop into bed with us (b) Come up with an economic plan to satisfy the Titans long term roi (although, as in the case of the capras for instance...how good would it have been to get first crack at the likes of Munster, Grant, Oates or perhaps Hunt. All CQ boys that any talent scout worth his salt could have spotted). It's also not up to you or I to come up with ways to circumvent the rules in place. I'm happy to leave that to the "brains trust" LOL!

Can you please give me the exact date that we will field our own Qcup side? That would be handy to know during negotiations with other potential feeders.

Look, mate...I've got a couple of confessions to make. Firstly...I've been enjoying myself here today on a rare day off and have had a couple snorts. Secondly...I'm not saying it's possible to pull this move off. I just hope the club is thoroughly investigating the possibility. Thirdly...and you'll have to forgive the glibness I've been displaying this afternoon in my posts for my own enjoyment...but I'd like to take the opportunity to respectfully offer you some of your own advice.

Just because you disagree, cannot see the sense in or don't believe something is possible, that doesn't = reality. Just lighten up and take it easy. Why carry the weight when you don't know for absolute certain all of the intricacies and behind the scenes shenanigans that may or may not be going on?

I'm going to grab another beer and throw some seafood and steaks on the bbq with the family. Might even take a dip in the pool!

Cheers, mate! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!!
    Last edited by Menoitios; 13-08-23 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    The thing is mate...it's not for you or I to come up with plans or ideas on how to...(a) convince a QRL club to hop into bed with us (b) Come up with an economic plan to satisfy the Titans long term roi (although, as in the case of the capras for instance...how good would it have been to get first crack at the likes of Munster, Grant, Oates or perhaps Hunt. All CQ boys that any talent scout worth his salt could have spotted). It's also not up to you or I to come up with ways to circumvent the rules in place. I'm happy to leave that to the "brains trust" LOL!

Can you please give me the exact date that we will field our own Qcup side? That would be handy to know during negotiations with other potential feeders.

Look, mate...I've got a couple of confessions to make. Firstly...I've been enjoying myself here today on a rare day off and have had a couple snorts. Secondly...I'm not saying it's possible to pull this move off. I just hope the club is thoroughly investigating the possibility. Thirdly...and you'll have to forgive the glibness I've been displaying this afternoon in my posts for my own enjoyment...but I'd like to take the opportunity to respectively offer you some of your own advice.

Just because you disagree, cannot see the sense in or don't believe something is possible, that doesn't = reality. Just lighten up and take it easy. Why carry the weight when you don't know for absolute certain all of the intricacies and behind the scenes shenanigans that may or may not be going on?

I'm going to grab another beer and throw some seafood and steaks on the bbq with the family. Might even take a dip in the pool!

Cheers, mate! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!!
    And we also don't take the field every weekend, but that doesn't stop us from being able to discuss the team, coaches and players mate. This is a forum after all and we're all geniuses and experts on anything and everything

I appreciate you telling me how to handle my perspective of something Meno but all that really says to me is you've misunderstood the context and meaning of when I offered that advice elsewhere. Re carrying the weight without knowing this and that....you're the one who started the discussion with your thoughts on what the club should do with their affiliate program - maybe you should direct that question at yourself

Enjoy your evening Meno. Go easy on those beers

And we also don't take the field every weekend, but that doesn't stop us from being able to discuss the team, coaches and players mate. This is a forum after all and we're all geniuses and experts on anything and everything

I appreciate you telling me how to handle my perspective of something Meno but all that really says to me is you've misunderstood the context and meaning of when I offered that advice elsewhere. Re carrying the weight without knowing this and that....you're the one who started the discussion with your thoughts on what the club should do with their affiliate program - maybe you should direct that question at yourself

Enjoy your evening Meno. Go easy on those beers
    Haha! Nice sidestep, mate. Didn't get a finger on you!

At the end of the day you're absolutely correct. What we think we know amounts to diddly squat...no matter how much posturing or imperiousness we parade in an attempt to present ourselves as somehow more genned up then the next bloke.

Ahh...the glorious safety of a footy forum! A haven for the humble, the critical thinker, the pot stirrer and the shooter from the hip!

Ya gotta love a footy forum!!

First Grader

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gJhCCtgaMo

Thought this was a really cool doco about Charlie the Rabbit from Souths (didn't know where else to post), Posting it because it has a couple of parts featuring Parkwood at 18.33 and Titans from 33.28 onwards and pretty cool to see our mascots talk about him but would recommend the whole thing, one of the better league documentaries I've seen.

Finally an article which sees our potential and is quite positive for once

- - - Updated - - -

www.zerotackle.com/stability-and-a-proven-coach-titans-big-calls-providing-the-best-chance-of-success-161243/amp/

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    Finally an article which sees our potential and is quite positive for once

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.zerotackle.com/stability-...ss-161243/amp/
    Great little read there. Obviously the nerves behind it all for us to finally 'get it right' are still there, particularly in defence, but I am optimistic for the next few seasons. But it did raise some more frustrating questions in regards to the playing squad:
    - When are we giving Moe a new contract? He has been great for us for majority of his time here (with the exception of a few games), and his fitness seems to be at an all time high. His ball handling has improved and watching him run it from the back fence is a great sight to see. Plus I absolutely adore the man. Biggest cutie ever off the field and deserves an extension.
    - We still need a full time 5/8 going forward. Whether that be JC, moving AJ back there, or a potential new signing.
    - I hope we make the right decision on Boyd / Weaver. I'll always defend Boyd as I truly think he deserves a chance, but if Weaver plays out of his mind these next few games (especially against Panthers and Storm), it'll be hard to pass him up.
    - Are we moving Tino back to Lock officially? Or will that be for Clark to have another go at? I have lost all hope in Liu holding that spot unfortunately.

QLD Cup

Appsy, being Boyd’s biggest fan could you tell me what improvement you think he’s made since coming into the NRL as a 7 this year and where you see his potential? I’m curious to know as I’m probably his biggest critic on here and watch his game very closely. Also, how long would you give him a chance for? Sexton got 3/4 of a season and Boyd has now had a full season. If he doesn’t improve drastically next year then we likely miss the 8 again.

The article above is great but we will not get anywhere without a decent 7. Period. We don’t have enough leadership in the team to cover not having a controlling 7, which is why both Sexton and Boyd, and soon to be Weaver, are on a hiding to nothing. I will openly say that I think we made the wrong decision letting Sexton go to keep Boyd, but if Sexton was kept, I still think that we need a dominating and mature half to steer this young team around. Foran was brought here for that reason but is has not been enough to make up for that deficiency. Only in 3-4 years, once all these long term players have matured, will we be in a real position to foster young playmakers.
    Last edited by NZFan; 16-08-23 at 05:57 PM.

Boyd's game has improved this year without a doubt, I'm not even sure that's a debate tbh. But he absolutely needs to improve next year if he's going to be a mid-term, let alone long-term 7. In any case he's a solid squad member with some experience that serves as a good backup - with salary in mind, you want these kind of players in the 30 for such a key position.

I think there's a decent list of things before our choice of halfback that have attributed to us losing games this year. But, as primary driver for us to go beyond where our current peak is (mid-table to just outside the 8), it's hard to disagree we either need to improve that position or for Tanah to take his game to another level. We've got enough there on the roster to put together a decent 9/6/1 IMO.

@NZF what 7 would you target mate? Besides Benny Hunt. Options are grim

@NZF what 7 would you target mate? Besides Benny Hunt. Options are grim
    I'm always interested in your comments about potential halfbacks mate. I clearly remember you responding sharply to me that you believe Adam Reynolds would have been no benefit to the Titans. Oh dear, mate. Yep he's done nothing at the Broncos other than be a major part of them being a premiership threat.

As for the current situation (now that we missed Reynolds) I believe we certainly need to recruit a half - nothing seems to have changed there. I follow closely the comments on here about Weaver, who I was lead to believe was to be the next big thing, but he seems to be taking a hell of a long time to be ready. I've seen enough of Tanah to know that he isn't ever going to be a top ranked NRL half, even allowing for some slight improvements in his game. I was hoping Hunt would be the man but that seems to have cooled but hopefully it will fire up again as the season ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I'm always interested in your comments about potential halfbacks mate. I clearly remember you responding sharply to me that you believe Adam Reynolds would have been no benefit to the Titans. Oh dear, mate. Yep he's done nothing at the Broncos other than be a major part of them being a premiership threat.

As for the current situation (now that we missed Reynolds) I believe we certainly need to recruit a half - nothing seems to have changed there. I follow closely the comments on here about Weaver, who I was lead to believe was to be the next big thing, but he seems to be taking a hell of a long time to be ready. I've seen enough of Tanah to know that he isn't ever going to be a top ranked NRL half, even allowing for some slight improvements in his game. I was hoping Hunt would be the man but that seems to have cooled but hopefully it will fire up again as the season ends.
    My guy, it's been about three years and you're still rolling that one out out-of-context to try and oversimplify what I meant I dare say that Brisbane being a top 3 defensive side in the comp has gone a long way to their success this year as well, especially after again missing the 8 last year! Do you think if Reynolds came to us we would be in the same position as Brisbane atm?

Tom Weaver only turned 20 this year MT. He's not taking a hell of a long time to be ready. He's a child lol. Needs to develop physically and subsequently the defensive side of the ball (which I'm sure you would've seen from following the comments closely here).
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 16-08-23 at 08:02 PM.

First Grader

There's a reason why Aiden Sezer (sorry HS) is coming back to the league..... Towsend gets 750k+ a year, Olaupu gets a 500k release... There's no good 7's or 6's out there, we're going to have to make our own and we've got bunch coming through for the best chances.

We're lucky we got Foran depsite what most think here, We needed a vet and to get him for way less then others around who teaches our guys how to be a professional off the field in every way was a huge bonus.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 16-08-23 at 09:12 PM.