Page 5 of 145 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast

We should sign rhys Martin from Leeds kicked 41 goals in a row at the moment

never understood why we didnt sign him when he was a the bulldogs and we had zero backrowers at all.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by hungryjacks View Post
    never understood why we didnt sign him when he was a the bulldogs and we had zero backrowers at all.
    Probably the same reasons other NRL clubs didn't sign him

First Grader

Article in the CM about David fifita testing the open market. Apparently dolphins have pulled out, I think we offered him 700k a year but he's turned it down.

It's behind a paywall so I can't see it, im just going off comments on reddit

Don’t have time to post it because it’s a long article that basically states he wants to stay with us but declined 700k, the Dolphins don’t want him and he will deal with it when he comes back. Also the uncredited journo had some sly backhanders at Holbrook.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Don’t have time to post it because it’s a long article that basically states he wants to stay with us but declined 700k, the Dolphins don’t want him and he will deal with it when he comes back. Also the uncredited journo had some sly backhanders at Holbrook.
    Could you please elaborate on what the journalist was alluding to re Holbrook?

Quote Originally Posted by The Birdman View Post
    Could you please elaborate on what the journalist was alluding to re Holbrook?
    sure he wrote: (1) Holbrook used Fifita poorly; (2) Fifita consulted Bennett rather Holbrook; (3) Holbrook said he would have him signed by 01 Nov but that won’t happen. All of which we all would probably agree with but it’s nasty journalism imho.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    sure he wrote: (1) Holbrook used Fifita poorly; (2) Fifita consulted Bennett rather Holbrook; (3) Holbrook said he would have him signed by 01 Nov but that won’t happen. All of which we all would probably agree with but it’s nasty journalism imho.
    CM journo taking a cheap shot at Titans, shocker....sadly this stuff is only going to get worse with Bennett having the journo's up there in his back pocket and the CM association with the Broncos.

I'd love to have Fifita back at the right price and it's clear he has generational talent although I'm yet to ever see him used "well" either up the road, in origin, or with us, after defensive edges started focusing on how to contain him (after year 1 at Brisbane). I think the general expectation on his contribution is a bit off the mark thanks to the talking heads at Fox who seem to think it's reasonable that he should be running for 500m a game, scoring 5 tries and breaking the line every time he touches the ball.

His defensive workrate improved a lot this year although he's still got some holes in that side of his game and his track record with knee injuries doesn't bode well for his a) reliability and b) ability to maximise his biggest asset. In saying that, I think Foran playing inside him (assuming he's the 7, could be wrong) would help his game on both sides of the ball.

Fair of him to test the market with an offer of 700k, IMO. Be nice if he stays but he's certainly replaceable.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    CM journo taking a cheap shot at Titans, shocker....sadly this stuff is only going to get worse with Bennett having the journo's up there in his back pocket and the CM association with the Broncos.

I'd love to have Fifita back at the right price and it's clear he has generational talent although I'm yet to ever see him used "well" either up the road, in origin, or with us, after defensive edges started focusing on how to contain him (after year 1 at Brisbane). I think the general expectation on his contribution is a bit off the mark thanks to the talking heads at Fox who seem to think it's reasonable that he should be running for 500m a game, scoring 5 tries and breaking the line every time he touches the ball.

His defensive workrate improved a lot this year although he's still got some holes in that side of his game and his track record with knee injuries doesn't bode well for his a) reliability and b) ability to maximise his biggest asset. In saying that, I think Foran playing inside him (assuming he's the 7, could be wrong) would help his game on both sides of the ball.

Fair of him to test the market with an offer of 700k, IMO. Be nice if he stays but he's certainly replaceable.
    The right price is absolutely spot on. I was critical of Fifita this year but again when you are on 1.2 million dollars outside of the elite playmakers is any forward going to live up to that contract? Fifita can be one of the games best and you only need to look at his play once tannah moved to the halves and he got the ball in a bit more motion. With Verrils at hooker and Foran/Whoever in the halves next year I think we will see close to his best. I think 700k is the perfect offer based on his play last year and certainly if he proves himself this year then I would be happy with a slight increase but as HS if he wants stupid money then he can go get it elsewhere, we still have many holes to fix.

Well said HS. We should name and shame these Journos. I'm happy with a 700k offer to Fifita and happy for him to test the market. I also tire of the 'SUPERSTAR' commentary that's seemingly thrown at every young player. By round 5, Joey has about 48 players in his Blues team.

I'm interested in what people make of our World Cup players. I watched Jacob Alick with great interest yesterday and he played very big minutes and looked out on his feet at times but still didn't seem to make any glaring errors. This up against the Tongan forward pack and always in the middle. A good preseason could give him extra legs for 2023. The only concern I have is on his initial contact and if there's enough impact but as he's a ball tackler (rather than legs), that may be a trend with all the head knocks? Sometimes in that game, I wished he'd bend his back just a bit more for more effective defence. Easier said than done playing big minutes against Tonga. He looks like he's got a lot of the right stuff though and I'm excited for his future. I'm also excited for PNG, who I'd love to do well in this tournament. They gave a great account of themselves yesterday.

Yeah I don't mind David Fifita at $700k. That's fair. If he wants significantly more than that he can feel free to earn it elsewhere.

I feel if anything he owes us a slight discount seeing as though we overpaid him substantially in the last two years.

Slow news month when announcing a specific player can start negotiations come 1 November. I like him as a player, I haven't heard too many kind words about him as a gentlemen, but with the small improvements we are doing in the middle can only benefit a bloke like that. We used him well his first year he was here.

We'll have to see what impact Foran and verrils can have on him first

First Grader

I really hope we keep Fifita, I think Foran and Verills will be absolutely huge for his game. If you watch the way Foran used Olakuatu last season, he is so good at taking the ball to the line and committing defenders before putting his back rower into a hole. Combine that with the great service Foran will be getting off Verills, and Fifita should have more space to work with than ever before. The scrutiny he gets is so unwarranted when you look at the way we used him all year, it was doing my head in how poor Sexton and even Tanah were at just getting him early ball in space.

I just hope a team like the Storm don't offer him around 600 and he decides to chase success with them rather than stay with us for 700. If a basketcase like Dragons offer him 850+ then oh well what can we do

First Grader

Sign his misses to the NRLW side and he will mostly likely stay for abit less. Plus his families here