Page 3 of 145 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Birdman View Post
    At this point we might be better off preserving cap space and roster spots so we can see who becomes available from other clubs during the off-season and into the start of next season

You can usually pick up a few players not providing value to their current clubs with the old club picking up the slack on their freight. There's nothing much out there worth wasting resources on at the moment.
    I agree

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    I don't care to defend Curtis Rona but that's just simply not true...let's not speculate.

He left London Irish abruptly but we know zero about that situation. It's worth noting for context that the entire English Premiership is a financial mess with clubs going into administration.

Otherwise he's transitioned between clubs in a completely normal way. Cows > Bulldogs > Force (who got dissolved) > Waratahs > London Irish.

He does not have a reputation for not sticking around at clubs.
    What we do know is that he was under contract with his Irish club and after 3 or 4 rounds decided to leave. Clubs having financial difficulty is not a reason to quit a club whilst under contract unless he wasnt getting paid which did not appear to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    What we do know is that he was under contract with his Irish club and after 3 or 4 rounds decided to leave. Clubs having financial difficulty is not a reason to quit a club whilst under contract unless he wasnt getting paid which did not appear to be the case.
    How do you know that though? Without knowing the ins and outs of this situation, I think it's pretty bold to form such an opinion on him as a person when there's nothing else in his history that suggests as such. Players ask for releases from NRL contracts all the time, in fact I think I've seen you suggest we target some players who are contracted elsewhere. Do they then have the same reputation?

First Grader

HS - You really transgress with your posts. If you go back and look at my original post, you will see I was referring specifically to Will Smith who you remember did not turn up for training and failed to meet his contractual obligations as he moved back to Sydney. He was subsequently released after some weeks of no show on the Gold Coast and early in the season. It was a wasted use of a top 30 contracted player.

With Rona, he went missing for a week, did not turn up for training and not even club officials or the coach knew where he was or could contact him. This was after just 3 games with the Irish union side. It was obvious he was exploring other opportunities whilst not meeting his contractual obligations.

My referencing with Smith is that we do not want to go down that path again with Rona and waste a top 30 spot where the circumstances were similar. Players can ask for an early release which i don't have a problem with providing they are doing the right thing by their current club and meeting their current contractual obligations. There is a difference.

Anyway, seeing he has gone to Japan, i wont be commenting on this subject again.

Shame about McLean. I was really keen on him. How about Aussie Jim Tamou or Marty Taupau?

In terms of outside backs, Tommy Talau looks to be unsigned and Journeyman Kev Naiqama could do for us what he did for the Roosters for the same money. I'd have either of those over Rona anyway, unless I'm missing something.

I'd strongly support signing the Turbo/Jurbo/Burbos if they have some kind of Deslove clause in their contracts but not sure we'd have room under the cap. I'd also take Des but I'd keep Holbrook over the coke and chips, Birdman.

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    HS - You really transgress with your posts. If you go back and look at my original post, you will see I was referring specifically to Will Smith who you remember did not turn up for training and failed to meet his contractual obligations as he moved back to Sydney. He was subsequently released after some weeks of no show on the Gold Coast and early in the season. It was a wasted use of a top 30 contracted player.

With Rona, he went missing for a week, did not turn up for training and not even club officials or the coach knew where he was or could contact him. This was after just 3 games with the Irish union side. It was obvious he was exploring other opportunities whilst not meeting his contractual obligations.

My referencing with Smith is that we do not want to go down that path again with Rona and waste a top 30 spot where the circumstances were similar. Players can ask for an early release which i don't have a problem with providing they are doing the right thing by their current club and meeting their current contractual obligations. There is a difference.

Anyway, seeing he has gone to Japan, i wont be commenting on this subject again.
    Thanks for the feedback on my posts WD. If I was to do that I'd say your posts are ignorant and unsubstantiated.

Again, you're using false information to try and make your point. Curtis Rona did not play 3 games for the London Irish union side. He played 72. And has been there since 2019. Honestly mate, Wikipedia?

You're using one single Australian media article to determine what is apparently "obvious" but in reality you are just making assumptions from limited information, and then reaching for some conclusion that is really just speculation. I know what you're referencing with Smith. I'm well aware of why he went and how that situation went down. But you're making a point that Rona could be an equivalent because he "has a reputation of not sticking around clubs" which is something you've really just made up.

If you took it a step further to reserve your opinion until substantiating that what you're saying is likely correct, you'd find that in addition to his history of having no problem sticking with clubs, since the Australian WWOS article (that you seem to be referencing), there has been multiple articles in the UK providing an alternative perspective that isn't as sensationalised and dramatic as the initial one suggested. In fact, judging by what I've observed in relation to the release, it's been a professional, positive and respectful response from the club, Curtis, other players, and fans.

I doubt anyone here is overly invested in Curtis Rona's career and nor does anyone really care but please be mindful that with unsubstantiated speculation or gossip posing as fact it can be consequential for the forum when it becomes about a Titans player or staff member.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by MaroonTitan View Post
    Shame about McLean. I was really keen on him. How about Aussie Jim Tamou or Marty Taupau?

In terms of outside backs, Tommy Talau looks to be unsigned and Journeyman Kev Naiqama could do for us what he did for the Roosters for the same money. I'd have either of those over Rona anyway, unless I'm missing something.

I'd strongly support signing the Turbo/Jurbo/Burbos if they have some kind of Deslove clause in their contracts but not sure we'd have room under the cap. I'd also take Des but I'd keep Holbrook over the coke and chips, Birdman.
    Tamou has signed with the Cows and I think I read Naqaima is going back to ESL. Tapau I’m not sure. Manly fans didn’t seem upset to lose him.

Just looking at the off contract list…spare a thought for booth and fuller. Both had very bad leg injuries and it must suck being in their situation.

Rep Player

Jojo will apparently re-sign beyond 2023

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Jojo will apparently re-sign beyond 2023
    Awesome news!

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by The Birdman View Post
    Awesome news!
    I think he's going to make a career for himself as an impenetrable defensive centre. Watching him this year, he made the right read 9 times out of 10 and has those finer details down, like wrapping up the ball and preventing the grounding. He's exactly what we've always needed and what we've never had.

First Grader

I really hope jojo re signs, he's a gun for such a young player he very rarely got out played.

He's got to be in the top 17 moving forward, preferably at centre. Him with spry outside him is juicy

First Grader

Liam Martin is available for negotiation November 1. Club should enquire about him incase fifita decides to leave

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    I think he's going to make a career for himself as an impenetrable defensive centre. Watching him this year, he made the right read 9 times out of 10 and has those finer details down, like wrapping up the ball and preventing the grounding. He's exactly what we've always needed and what we've never had.
    Agreed mate, and the fact he's played union his whole life (correct me if I'm wrong guys) makes it even more impressive, imagine what he'll be like after a few years getting used to league structures. Keen to see him get more opportunities in attack too, has great speed and strength

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Thanks for the feedback on my posts WD. If I was to do that I'd say your posts are ignorant and unsubstantiated.

Again, you're using false information to try and make your point. Curtis Rona did not play 3 games for the London Irish union side. He played 72. And has been there since 2019. Honestly mate, Wikipedia?

You're using one single Australian media article to determine what is apparently "obvious" but in reality you are just making assumptions from limited information, and then reaching for some conclusion that is really just speculation. I know what you're referencing with Smith. I'm well aware of why he went and how that situation went down. But you're making a point that Rona could be an equivalent because he "has a reputation of not sticking around clubs" which is something you've really just made up.

If you took it a step further to reserve your opinion until substantiating that what you're saying is likely correct, you'd find that in addition to his history of having no problem sticking with clubs, since the Australian WWOS article (that you seem to be referencing), there has been multiple articles in the UK providing an alternative perspective that isn't as sensationalised and dramatic as the initial one suggested. In fact, judging by what I've observed in relation to the release, it's been a professional, positive and respectful response from the club, Curtis, other players, and fans.

I doubt anyone here is overly invested in Curtis Rona's career and nor does anyone really care but please be mindful that with unsubstantiated speculation or gossip posing as fact it can be consequential for the forum when it becomes about a Titans player or staff member.
    I was referring to the 3 games as of the current season not when he joined the Irish. I was not referring only to WWOS article as you have incorrectly assumed but their are numerous other London articles about the situation that evolved. The fact is, which is substantiated contrary to your misinformed view is that he went AWOL from his contractual obligations after just 3 games into the season to seek opportunities elsewhere. In addition he failed to return phone calls from the club as well as from his team mates. In fact in a London media article, his coach on the day he was released did not know what was happening and thought he was still part of the squad. This was in the coaches media conference at 10.45am and he was released at 4.00pm that day.

I dont resile from the fact that it was pretty poor form to fail to meet your current contractual obligations to seek other opportunities unbeknown to the club after just 3 games into the season.
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 15-10-22 at 11:11 AM.