Page 97 of 145 FirstFirst ... 47 87 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 107 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 2162
    First Grader

Matty Johns seems pretty in the know about the club and seems to think it's a nothing story, Says management 100% would of dealt with this or are more then confident in these two guys staying and wouldn't be an an oversight at all considering how management has played this, Why would these guys go to any of the teams Buzz mentioned when they are horrible.

This group will be more loyal to each other over Holbrook. These guys won't just up lift their lives and families because of what happened haha.

On Buzz, Ryan Harris cooking him on twitter might the best part of all last nights cricket.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 03-07-23 at 11:33 AM.

First Grader

Fresh free-agent David Fifita fields monster $4 million offer from Ricky Stuart’s Raiders

The Canberra Raiders have made a stunning $4 million play for barnstorming Gold Coast Titans forward David Fifita less than 24 hours following revelations both he and team mate Tino Fa’asuamaleaui have become free agents.

This masthead revealed on Sunday the Queensland Maroons State of Origin forwards had clauses in their Titans contracts that they could leave if coach Justin Holbrook was removed from the head coaching position.

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has confirmed his interest in luring the game’s most explosive forward to the national capital, having narrowly missed out earlier this year when Fifita was last off contract.

In January Stuart met Fifita on the Gold Coast with a $2.7 million offer over three years.

This masthead understands the Raiders have increased the offer to $4 million over four years.

“I have spoken to David’s manager this morning to put forward our offer,” Stuart said.

“I was informed he is now a free agent and we’re obviously very keen, just like last time.

“He is a tremendous player who would be a perfect fit at this club.”

The Raiders have space in the salary cap to make a more competitive offer than most of their rivals.

They are saving $1 million in next year’s salary cap following Jack Wighton’s decision to join the Gold Coast Titans.

The departure of Fifita and/or Fa’asuamaleaui would be a massive setback for incoming coach Des Hasler and the Titans’ hopes of becoming serious premiership contenders.

Before Holbrook’s dismissal, Fa’asuamaleaui was locked in on a contract until the end of next season with an option for the following two years while Fifita recently extended until the end of 2026.

Fa’asuamaleaui has a contract until the end of next season with an option for the following two years while Fifita recently extended until the end of 2026.

Their managers are in no hurry to make a decision on their futures.

They want to avoid a Ben Hunt type media circus and wait until after Origin III before considering the approach from the Raiders and other clubs.

The problem for the Titans is that a number of their best players, not just Fa’asuamaleaui and Fifita, are disappointed about the manner in which Holbrook was sacked.

That they were just one win outside the top eight. That they were slowly but steadily building towards the finals when the axe fell with no consultation with the leadership group.

"They are saving $1 million in next year’s salary cap following Jack Wighton’s decision to join the Gold Coast Titans."

Really? Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read in 'this Masthead'.

- - - Updated - - -

And thanks WD. It's good to know what's out there in Cukoo land.

Club is going to have to come out and make a statement sooner or later.

Buzz is going to absolutely milk this one for as long as he can. Whether there’s any cause for concern or not, the perception is enough to cause potential unrest within the playing group and most certainly with the wider fanbase.

No denying this is a media beat-up more than anything else, but jeez - we don’t need the noise.

First Grader

100 per cent HS. It is just unsettling for the playing group

Isn't Jack going to Souths? For $300k less than to stay at Canberra? Says a lot for the place.

First Grader

It's not a great look for the club to announce all these re-signings and have everyone thinking we're in a strong position roster wise but in them there's clauses that can apparently void them straight away for our best players. If these deals are common in the team it seems we're in nowhere near as strong position as we thought. Even someone like Iszac or even Shaylee on the NRLW side, Do they have clauses?

I don't think they'll leave but it's not a great sign when a club has players holding this much power imo. I think they'll stay and we might have to give them a bit of an upgrade but if that starts then others will start wanting it and it becomes a cap issue and more. I still think there's a bit more to it but the fact that Fifita can field offers is not a good situation.

I think there's a lot of media beat up in this due to QLD and us being a punching bag + the media being friends with a lot of these coaches and then Des bringing way more attention with him. They're also probably fuming that we pulled a fast one on them.

This group isn't playing like one that is upset and I can't see these guys moving their families and everything else that comes with leaving. It should be interesting seeing how Gordy handles it if it comes up on 360.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 03-07-23 at 01:54 PM.

It will be the lead story on 360 and the Club needs to publicly make a statement today.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior

I suppose its not up to the club to comment, as far as they are concerned the players have contracts till 2026. If the players decide to activate any supposed clause in their contract is up to them. I hope there is a time period after Holbrooks departure when they need to make their decision, or this will go on forever.
    Last edited by Seaside Garbo; 03-07-23 at 05:24 PM.

First Grader

I think Tigers, Dragons, Bulldogs and Origin have us covered for a few days hahaha.

Brett Read who's more trustworthy then his colleagues said on Triple M that these clauses last for 3 months from when Holbrook was fired, Can't see them leaving and thinks it will maybe come down a bit more cash being thrown at them if anything.

This could drag out till the end of the season or it's probably already being sorted behind closed doors/after origin, I doubt two of our leaders will let this affect the group otherwise that's when there'll be some red flags. Ricky and his media mates will go on attack mode. The timing of Holbrook getting fired matches up with the end of the season for those clauses to end which might be a reason why they did the firing then.

The thing that might be concerning is if the clauses automatically go through or the players used them. I think we're all good and media are putting a lot of mayo on the story and surprise surprise, missing some key details.

I'm sure we'll probably get some answers from the players this week.

The Club has a responsibility to its members to squash any possibility of a mass exodus.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I think the Broncos are more of a concern then the Raiders. Broncos have some money and there sitting up the top of the ladder. They came too late to the party to sign Fifita when he signed early in the year but I am sure they will be sniffing around again.
    Psmitty

First Grader

The fact Steve Mitchell apparently has called the integrity unit would probably mean that the clauses probably haven't been taken.

Buzz is so stuck hahahaha. None of the others seemed to believe it haha, Braith straight up saying there's nothing to worry about hahaha.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 03-07-23 at 06:54 PM.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    The Club has a responsibility to its members to squash any possibility of a mass exodus.
    Why i would love to hear from the club but i will happily wait if they working thru this with the players. That is the priority.

Sexton to Bulldogs immediately according to DT.

Happy for him to get an opportunity.

Bittersweet seeing how committed he always was to representing the GC community and improving himself as a footballer. I really do hope he goes well, just not against us