Page 66 of 145 FirstFirst ... 16 56 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 76 116 ... LastLast
    First Grader

The issue is whether Ikin would add value to the football department and whether the cost of the hire would be justified.

You should always be looking to strengthen and make improvements to a club each year whether it is on field or off field and in my view, he is extremely experienced across all areas of a football club's business, is a proven performer and would be a very valuable asset to the club. The issue whether he is interested and if so whether the cost would be justifiable is the unknown.
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 03-05-23 at 12:28 PM.

First Grader

Is he a proven performer? They had a massive choke last year that makes our games against them and Dolphins not so bad. They've lost Herbie and Flegler and still haven't re-signed Haas. He's 100% improved some things but we don't really need those areas improved as we are seeing good performances (cap management, Junior pathways).

I'd rather him at QRL if he's competent.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 03-05-23 at 12:58 PM.

First Grader

Is our cap management good? Does paying Sexton nearly $500k next year good cap management or hiring Lui for $550k to come home when he was on $400k at the Roosters and Ikin got Capewell for $500k. How many more are on more than market value that we don’t know about and knowing we cannot afford any more marquee players due to our cap when the leading teams have far many more gives an indication that there may be a few. Yes we got Fifita at a good price but I would suggest that there are more players on our roster at higher than market value imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    Is our cap management good? Does paying Sexton nearly $500k next year good cap management or hiring Lui for $550k to come home when he was on $400k at the Roosters and Ikin got Capewell for $500k. How many more are on more than market value that we don’t know about and knowing we cannot afford any more marquee players due to our cap when the leading teams have far many more gives an indication that there may be a few. Yes we got Fifita at a good price but I would suggest that there are more players on our roster at higher than market value imo.
    You're relying on speculative news articles, your own assumptions, and hypotheticals for your entire argument again, WD.

Leading teams also get to sign players for significantly less than other clubs do, because they're leading teams. Leading teams also have access to greater third party contributions, because they're leading teams and have better commercial appeal. If you're comparing us to the likes of Penrith, the Roosters or Souths, Id suggest instead you look at the majority of club rosters in the competition and you'll get a better understanding of what an achievable NRL roster looks like for most of the league.

First Grader

They have guys on overs as well haha.... Every club has a bad deal or two. Katoni is on 800k or so.

Toby was going to be our starting 7, Most halves first deals are all around that price, Guys like Flannigan got the same... Liu is an experienced international at 13 with a specific skillset that not a lot of 13s do. I don't think he lived up to it last year but I'm more then fine with him on 550k this year.

I think a lot of our guys are great deals. Besides those two, who's overpaid (I don't think they are)? I really don't think there is anyone looking at our lists.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 03-05-23 at 01:40 PM.

First Grader

HS again your condescending attitude strikes again
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 03-05-23 at 01:55 PM.

Next of Kini: Young gun ready to answer if debut calls
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2023/...f-debut-calls/

Keano Kini was the name on everybody’s lips at the Titans before the season kicked off and now could find himself in the minds of 40,000 fans should he be called up to make his Magic Round debut.

Kini has been named as 18th man for the first time this year, giving him a chance of making his NRL debut at this year’s Magic Round match against the Eels.

The Northcote Tigers junior was a breakout star during this year’s Pre-Season Challenge and since then, has been impressing in the Hostplus Cup with the Burleigh Bears – putting himself in position to come into the side as the veteran Foran races the clock with knee and toe injuries.

“There’s a lot of young fellas coming through the Titans system that are allocated to the Bears – I think there has been a bit of talk about young Keano Kini," Bears coach Luke Burt told NRL.com. "He’s probably in a similar situation to what Lofi [Alofiana Khan-Pereira] was at the start of last year.

“There was a bit of hype around him and he gets his opportunity to play against men [in reserve grade] and show how he can handle it.

“The Titans have a really good bunch of young kids coming through that I think in the next two or three years’ time will put the club in a really good position.”

Kini knew all about the Titans as a club before cracking the top squad, having arrived with his aunty Rona Peters as part of the club's NRLW side last year.

"We moved from Auckland two years ago," Kini recently told the QRL. "My mum and dad packed up everything and moved over here for me [to join the Titans’ junior system]. I owe everything to my parents and my family.

“It’s all happened pretty quick and I’m happy for my family as well. My family sacrificed a lot for me to get here so I’m just trying to repay them.

“I’m proud... if anything higher happens, it happens."

With Foran sidelined from training on Wednesday, Kini trained exclusively at fullback with Jayden Campbell – who was named in the number one jersey to replace the injured AJ Brimson – a chance of shifting into the halves if Foran is ruled out.

The Titans play in the final game of Magic Round on Sunday afternoon, which does give the veteran playmaker the best possible chance of proving his fitness.

“One kid I think is going to be a star is Keano Kini,” halfback Tanah Boyd said earlier this year. “He’s lightning quick, he’s unbelievable, really.

“I think in the next year, or it might even be this year, he’ll definitely play and he’s a special talent and such a good kid.

"He wants to learn all the time and he’s probably one for me to look out for.”
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I don’t know if Ikin is any good but I have my doubts. Wasn’t he with the titans back in the day and was let go?
    He would be of benefit, to the Titans, in that he’s best mates with Paul Kent and James Hooper, the attack dogs of fox sports.
    Not having those two bury the club and say things like “ikin is a smart operator” would help with our perception to fans.
    Ikin might be good as I said, he has had lots of experience and doesn’t sound dumb on the Tele when I have heard him talk.
    Last edited by Titans83; 03-05-23 at 04:06 PM.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Titans83 View Post
    I don’t know if Ikin is any good but I have my doubts. Wasn’t he with the titans back in the day and was let go?
    He would be of benefit the Titans in that he’s best mates with Paul Kent and James Hooper, the attack dogs of fox sports.
    Not having those two bury the club and say things like “ikin is a smart operator” would help with our perception to fans.
    Ikin might be good as I said, he has had lots of experience and doesn’t sound dumb on the Tele when I have heard him talk.
    Ikin was a GC junior as a player but I don’t recall him being with the Titans in an off field capacity. I think you may be thinking of Michael Searle who was the first Titans CEO who was moved on .

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    Ikin was a GC junior as a player but I don’t recall him being with the Titans in an off field capacity. I think you may be thinking of Michael Searle who was the first Titans CEO who was moved on .
    He was definitely with the Titans. I am unsure what role he had but it could not have been too important as he lined up behind me when queuing to get into some kind of Titans function at the GC Turf Club many years ago.

I thought he was just hired to MC Titans corporate events etc. Could be wrong.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    You're relying on speculative news articles, your own assumptions, and hypotheticals for your entire argument again, WD.

Leading teams also get to sign players for significantly less than other clubs do, because they're leading teams. Leading teams also have access to greater third party contributions, because they're leading teams and have better commercial appeal. If you're comparing us to the likes of Penrith, the Roosters or Souths, Id suggest instead you look at the majority of club rosters in the competition and you'll get a better understanding of what an achievable NRL roster looks like for most of the league.
    Some would assume with locals like Sexton and Lui returning " home" we wouldn't need to pay overs

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Coast 88 View Post
    Some would assume with locals like Sexton and Lui returning " home" we wouldn't need to pay overs
    Yeah and Brimson, Mo, Tino, Fifita all took less than the reported amounts being offered elsewhere to stay here. And maybe others did too - we're not privy to much in terms of player salaries and the media isn't even going to take a stab and report on the majority of the top 30 because it's not interesting enough

IMO I don't think that the reported amount for Liu is overs at all. He's a big part of our team on both sides of the ball. I know that he's a divisive player on here though.

To your point, I don't really think 20 year old Toby Sexton staying home and Isaac Liu returning to the GC to a non-premiership threatening team (let's be honest) is really comparable to what we've seen from players at the clubs I mention who choose to remain with or walk in to a premiership contending roster, and get the benefits of being associated with high net-worth individuals (looking at you Souths and Roosters) and what comes with that whether it's now or post-footy

First Grader

Those deals haven't stopped us from retaining all our players or getting anyone we needed/wanted either. Even giving Fifita 1.1m this year we still were able to bring in Foran, Verrills, Stimson, Leeming, Mikaele, Maumalo.
    Ikin and the Broncos were incredibly lucky that the Warriors refused to let Walsh even talk to the Dolphins due to Peter O'Sullivan and he had no other choice but to take whatever Broncos offered him, We might've been a good shot if we didn't have 3 gun fullbacks already.

Might be a hot take here but I'd argue Liu has been better then Capewell this year who I think shouldn't be making origin if you go off form, He has always performed though so will keep his spot.

If Liu is overpaid, 80% of the league is.

IKIN is going to be CEO of QLD Rugby. That role is a definite promotion (in terms). Asking him to come to Titans instead of taking in that role on like asking a CEO to go work for another business as a General Manager.