Page 22 of 145 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 72 122 ... LastLast
    QLD Cup

3 good games from Clarke playing lock doesn’t justify his automatic selection IMO. He’s lucky to make my 17

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    3 good games from Clarke playing lock doesn’t justify his automatic selection IMO. He’s lucky to make my 17
    You’re right but he’s certainly in the conversation based on his different body shape, aggressiveness and direct running style.
    Last edited by Titanic; 03-12-22 at 02:45 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    By playing 13 I more meant being that 2nd 5/8th or fullback like Paps/hynes Storm first years, Hunt/Morgan type at rep level. I think he would really suit it when the game opens up and how quick it has gotten.

JC is looked jacked which might change things as well.
    I see what you mean Cowabunga but I don't want AJ bashed up in the middle unnecessarily. I had thought about the good QLD 14s who played 13 at Origin level but I think that works as a one-off effort rather than week to week. I realise, I've also cited AJ's Origin form as a centre, so I might be a little bit of a hypocrite there but I think it's more natural for him than at 13

AJ at 13 is fun on attack but then he also has to defend as a middle. I agree it's an unnecessary bashing, is exhausting and asks a lot. Gotta be able to win tackle versus middles. Me no likey.

Whilst I admired AJ's fill-in at centre in origin, it was a short stint on the fly and even though he did a good job, I dont think it says much as to his ability to actually play there at NRL level. Particularly defensively, being effective in exit sets and the other not glamorous centre stuff. If he really wanted I think he could be a centre for sure but he'd prob need to change his body shape a bit to do so IMO

Said it all year and I haven't changed my mind. We need to fix our defence. Attack comes off the back of solid, effective defence. Clarke and Liu have tackle efficiency percentage rates of 89 and 91 respectively. IMO...they are our two first choices for the 13 jersey. Putting AJ there would be a bad idea for AJ and the team.

Something that doesn't get spoken about much is that JC has said his favourite positions are fullback and wing. Hmmm, I wonder...

Gotta love the dilemma!

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    No doubt, but has he earned the right to keep his spot?
    IMO we were a significantly more dangerous side in attack with JC at the back. I hear criticism about his defence but apart from 1 or 2 other fullbacks his defence is not worse than most of the fullbacks out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    Something that doesn't get spoken about much is that JC has said his favourite positions are fullback and wing. Hmmm, I wonder...

Gotta love the dilemma!
    Yes mate I wonder...maybe a masterstroke

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    Yes mate I wonder...maybe a masterstroke
    Or cause us a minor srtoke...

Junior

Interesting that Bulldogs released Schoupp, but signed Bronson Xerri for 2024. I for one was a massive fan of Bronson, will be interesting to see how he transitions back into the NRL.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by WolfBuddy4 View Post
    Interesting that Bulldogs released Schoupp, but signed Bronson Xerri for 2024. I for one was a massive fan of Bronson, will be interesting to see how he transitions back into the NRL.
    The dude looks more roided then ever before... His brothers were the dealers and nothing about him looks like he learnt lessons.. But he has a year to get it out of his system... Seems like the Connor Mcgregor issue right now.

'Once in a lifetime experience': World Cup stint motivates Alick to achieve NRL dream
    Video: https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/...eve-nrl-debut/

Jacob Alick may be returning for only his second season in the NRL, but the Kumuls star is full of learnings after a successful World Cup campaign.

Upon returning to Parkwood a week earlier than expected after proudly representing his grandmother's Papua New Guinean heritage in the UK, the 23-year-old feels he's taken so much away from his month and a half abroad, coming back determined to make in-roads in 2023.

"It was a once in a lifetime experience for me; especially going over to PNG for the training camp. It was the first time I've been there and it was pretty cool to see al the people and the fans there and how crazy they are for the sport," Alick shared.

"Coming back here, I think I've brought a bit of confidence back. Obviously, last year was my first year being here, so I was a little shy and didn't really talk much around the boys, but I've come back with a bit more confidence.

"I'm not too sure how close I am to playing first grade, but I'm just trying to be a bit more confident myself and my ability so I can be ready for when I get my chance."

Whilst being lucky enough to make his International debut before playing in the NRL, getting his opportunity on the big stage in the most elite rugby league competition in the world is still on top of the agenda for the hard-running edge forward.

"My number one goal is still to make my debut, so everything I'm doing is trying to go towards that," Alick said.

"I think defensively I've got a lot to work on, so I've just been working closely with Whitey (Brett White) and only just met him last week. He's been a massive help for me.

"I played lock overseas, so it was a bit different and allowed me to show my versatility to Justin and the coaches, not just pocketing myself to the back row.

"I think I just want to keep working on little parts of my game and being confident about everything I do, but I'm keen to come back and try and show them (coaches) what I can do."

Alick also has plenty to offer his Titans teammates from his time abroad, especially soaking up as much as he could from NRL stalwarts Alex Johnston and Justin Olam whilst in the Kumuls camp.

"The biggest thing I learnt is probably the professionalism outside of games," he said.

"I think I've seen a lot more this pre-season [upon returning]. The boys are obviously upstairs, clipping videos, taking it to the coaches and talking to them.

"I saw that with the NRL boys in the PNG squad. Players like Alex Johnston showed me all the little things you have to do to get right for a game - it's not just about rocking up and and running out.

"I think I'll just continue bringing that professionalism, but I think that the boys have already started here, so I'll just keep trying to keep it going forward."
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I hope Alick kicks-on with us. He’s got some competition from junior Tino.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I'd like to know if you guys think Alick is a second rower or a middle for us. He played a different lock role for PNG than the one we want and I think, Erin, Liu and SamMac would all be in front of him there. If Alick can be a good second rower for us, then a bench spot might open up for him, with his ability to also play middle.

I really like him but just wondering about how he fits into the way we want to play.

And we have Keenan Palasia joining the mix in '24 (if not sooner)

By 2024, with another season of experience for the younger blokes in '23, we're going to have a pretty awesome forward pack. If we get the halves sorted and firing...we'll be a force for opposition clubs to reckon with most weeks.

I hope Alick gets a crack next year!

Quote Originally Posted by MaroonTitan View Post
    I'd like to know if you guys think Alick is a second rower or a middle for us. He played a different lock role for PNG than the one we want and I think, Erin, Liu and SamMac would all be in front of him there. If Alick can be a good second rower for us, then a bench spot might open up for him, with his ability to also play middle.

I really like him but just wondering about how he fits into the way we want to play.
    Yeah he's in a difficult spot. As far as edge goes, Fermor/Fifita and then Stimson/Haas are both ahead of him. He's in the same boat as Joe Vuna. Ryan Foran coming into the 30 in '24 takes away another edge spot too.

As most have said we're in a good spot for middles and with Liu and Clark both capable at 13, I'm not sure we need another one there. Alick has to prove he can handle the defensive role at 13 too - it's a lot harder in the NRL than the World Cup.

I'm a fan but he's one of many on the roster who are going to need to prove a lot this year to be re-signed.