Page 128 of 145 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 138 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 2162
    First Grader

Bullemor would be a great pick up, I'm just not sure we could offer him the game time he's probably looking for, I have some concerns about our our 2nd row stocks so if Bullemor would be happy to back up Fermor/Fifita when they're out that'd be fine with me.

The leap Keenan has made lately playing big quality minutes is a huge bonus for us going into next year, I'm stoked he didn't come down here because we'll benefit much more with him hopefully playing a lot in the finals.

We need more depth in the backs, If we move AJ and Kelly is left centre, I think Jojo will be the only back up unless we re-sign Francis, I don't think Schoupp or Maumalo are here next year.

It's going to be exciting/potentially scary what Des does in recruitment, It seems like there's some chaos brewing at most of the bottom 8/borderline finals clubs and I think there'll be some big players want out of their clubs/let go.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 22-08-23 at 10:39 AM.

Rep Player

Bullemor is a talented young player but I’m just concerned he’s not fully committed to footy due to his finance side gig

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Bullemor is a talented young player but I’m just concerned he’s not fully committed to footy due to his finance side gig
    Mate if he's going that well at the finance gig would he bother putting his body through NRL...yes a bit cliche to your point but at the end of the day "show me the money" wins.

None of our forwards I would call necessary "big" Tino has a bit of size, but we constantly loose the ruck and concede far too many metres. I truly think it is because we don't have enough big bodies, we have a pretty small pack and don't really have much experience compared to the top clubs. We constantly lose the battle in the middle whilst defending. I truly believe a big body prop or lock can help fix that, unfortunately not too many players of this mould are off contract. One of our first few games against the Dragons they just went through the middle of us, same with the recent Sharks game, same with the Dolphins game.

In terms of second row, I am a bit less concerned because we do have some young juniors who can back up for Fifita and Fermor.

Let's also not forget we are playing with small wingers and small fullbacks. Our centres aren't that big either.

I agree with a previous comment that we need more body shapes in the line eg a heavy larger front rower, preferably a taller bigger winger who can also carry out of the red zone.

But with salary cap pressures, I imagine we either get Ben Hunt and max out the cap, if we don't get him we have to work out what the short term solution is especially if we got $500-800k free in the cap (not sure exactly because we re-signed Tino and Fifita, but prior to that we were willing to offer Ben Hunt $900k a season).

Either way I still want to see more mongrel and more effort, actually trying to put a hit on an opposing forward, not just catching them let them take some post contact metres then gently put them on the ground. Hit in defense like Penrith do or all the top clubs, bash them. Luckily I have faith in Des and the siege mentality he has, think it could bring them to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    None of our forwards I would call necessary "big" Tino has a bit of size, but we constantly loose the ruck and concede far too many metres. I truly think it is because we don't have enough big bodies, we have a pretty small pack and don't really have much experience compared to the top clubs. We constantly lose the battle in the middle whilst defending. I truly believe a big body prop or lock can help fix that, unfortunately not too many players of this mould are off contract. One of our first few games against the Dragons they just went through the middle of us, same with the recent Sharks game, same with the Dolphins game.

In terms of second row, I am a bit less concerned because we do have some young juniors who can back up for Fifita and Fermor.

Let's also not forget we are playing with small wingers and small fullbacks. Our centres aren't that big either.

I agree with a previous comment that we need more body shapes in the line eg a heavy larger front rower, preferably a taller bigger winger who can also carry out of the red zone.

But with salary cap pressures, I imagine we either get Ben Hunt and max out the cap, if we don't get him we have to work out what the short term solution is especially if we got $500-800k free in the cap (not sure exactly because we re-signed Tino and Fifita, but prior to that we were willing to offer Ben Hunt $900k a season).

Either way I still want to see more mongrel and more effort, actually trying to put a hit on an opposing forward, not just catching them let them take some post contact metres then gently put them on the ground. Hit in defense like Penrith do or all the top clubs, bash them. Luckily I have faith in Des and the siege mentality he has, think it could bring them to the next level.
    Schuster is quite big and is to move to the forwards, and I'd suspect he'll be available quite early in the new season if not before. Even get him cheap as Manly will pay a large chunk of his ridiculous contract. Just joking, I wouldn't wish him on any team.......well except Parra.

First Grader

I thought about the Des/Schuster connection hahaha.

The Papua New Guinea Kumuls forward is also looking forward to the upcoming Pacific Championships, hoping to continue building on his International game after a strong debut World Cup at the end of last season.

"I absolutely want to try and take my footy to the next level and maybe lead that side around and maybe put the 13 jersey on again like I did in the World Cup," Alick said.

"Also, I hope to show my versatility and that space for Des (Hasler) as well and try and push my case for next year.
    Thought that was pretty interesting from Alick on the team site, That kind of sounds like he's signed up for next year and with the the opportunities he's getting and what he's done in those I'd be stoked if he stays.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 22-08-23 at 10:08 PM.

Titans retain key playmaker until '25

Gold Coast Titans halfback Tanah Boyd has inked a contract extension that will see him remain on the Coast until the end of the 2025 season.

The 23-year-old has had arguably his best season of his young career in 2023, notching up 21 games in the No. 7 jersey.

Interim Titans coach Jim Lenihan says the extension is reward for Boyd’s hard work as he continues to develop his game.

“Tanah is now 60 games into his NRL career and after playing a few different roles for the team early in his career, he has been able to grow into that halfback role this year,” Lenihan said.

“He’s built a great combination with Kieran Foran and I know both of them are keen to build on this throughout the pre-season.

“He’s another local product, having come through the Keebra Park State High School system and we want to keep these guys here on the Coast.

“Tanah is one of the hardest working players in our squad and I know he will want to use the pre-season to continue to build his game ahead of the 2024 season.”

Boyd will miss the Titans' remaining two NRL games this season after being sent early for shoulder surgery to ensure he’ll be ready for the 2024 pre-season.

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2023/...HAe7msPMX4wfuw

1 year extension done before he could go to market

Don’t think this means they won’t try and sign a half - think it’s just insurance in case they can’t in the immediate future/is a ready to go backup if they do

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    1 year extension done before he could go to market

Don’t think this means they won’t try and sign a half - think it’s just insurance in case they can’t in the immediate future/is a ready to go backup if they do
    Agree. Hope it was a mutual option though. If he plays well to justify an upgrade - great. If he flops we let him go without paying some of his salary.

Happy to see Boyd resign, I wonder if he would be happy playing as the back up option for most of his career just to stay at the club because he seems like a great club man, a rugby league sort of guy and a real servicable half as a back up. Hate to admit it but if we had him at 7 against penrith I think the scores or atleast the game would of felt alot closer. Weaver shows much more ability in being a genuine playmaker and organizing half but Tannah would of quietly kicked us to the corners and thats such a perfect option to have as a fill in because injuries to play makers are very real things.

And adding to the idea that he seems like a great club guy is if we do get a unified reserve grade in action someone like tannah could be such a perfect unifier and stabilizer between the A grade and B grade sides, for up and coming spines players and forwards who just need to be put on the same page. These are genuine things to think about if we are aiming to be a developmental club. Penrith have had some of their young juniours in their reserve grade sides for a long time such as Soni Luke who never really kicked onto to being a superstar but still served a role.

Hopefully he is willing to stay for less ( or less opportunity) and become a one club player.
    Last edited by hungryjacks; 25-08-23 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hungryjacks View Post
    Happy to see Boyd resign, I wonder if he would be happy playing as the back up option for most of his career just to stay at the club because he seems like a great club man, a rugby league sort of guy and a real servicable half as a back up. Hate to admit it but if we had him at 7 against penrith I think the scores or atleast the game would of felt alot closer. Weaver shows much more ability in being a genuine playmaker and organizing half but Tannah would of quietly kicked us to the corners and thats such a perfect option to have as a fill in because injuries to play makers are very real things.

And adding to the idea that he seems like a great club guy is if we do get a unified reserve grade in action someone like tannah could be such a perfect unifier and stabilizer between the A grade and B grade sides, for up and coming spines players and forwards who just need to be put on the same page. These are genuine things to think about if we are aiming to be a developmental club. Penrith have had some of their young juniours in their reserve grade sides for a long time such as Soni Luke who never really kicked onto to being a superstar but still served a role.

Hopefully he is willing to stay for less ( or less opportunity) and become a one club player.
    I think carrying a backup half who can do a job, won't attract "projected" salaries elsewhere, and isn't a burden on the cap, will become more and more common. Loosely a QB2 type scenario. For some teams that will be players where maybe there's some development there, for others they're just a reliable backup and a good squad body that doesn't have a high ceiling but is NRL capable.

Fact is that marquee halfbacks are just so hard to find and I think the idea that they start to depreciate after 30ish isn't really a thing anymore.

Some examples are Penrith always carrying a backup squad-filler at 7 in the 30 (Cogger this year). Brisbane do the same with Jock Madden. Keeps the floor of the position raised. If you've got a guy in their early/mid 20's who's capable at that level you hang on to them for the benefit of the overall squad, assuming their salary isn't a burden and it makes sense with the rest of the roster.

Rep Player

Every club needs a Sam Williams

First Grader

Tannahs time in the NRL so far has been odd as well that I'm still not really sure what his complete potential is. He comes in as a 19 year old highly touted junior and ooks decent at QRL, Covid hits so he doesn't have anywhere to go besides NRL and pretty much is our 14/6 till last year when we finally went with him as the 7. It will be interesting to see if there's a fair bit more skill there then we know and Des can hopefully extract it.

It's a good deal either way, If he's hit his ceiling which I don't think he has, he's a serviceable back up like everyone said. So many halves coming through at that time got screwed over.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    Tannahs time in the NRL so far has been odd as well that I'm still not really sure what his complete potential is. He comes in as a 19 year old highly touted junior and ooks decent at QRL, Covid hits so he doesn't have anywhere to go besides NRL and pretty much is our 14/6 till last year when we finally went with him as the 7. It will be interesting to see if there's a fair bit more skill there then we know and Des can hopefully extract it.

It's a good deal either way, If he's hit his ceiling which I don't think he has, he's a serviceable back up like everyone said. So many halves coming through at that time got screwed over.
    He wasn't highly touted. He was ok, certainly behind Tom Dearden in the Donkeys pecking order.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    He wasn't highly touted. He was ok, certainly behind Tom Dearden in the Donkeys pecking order.
    Deardon jumped him but Tannah played u16's and u18's origin while winning the school comp with Keebra and being an Aus schoolboy 7 then was playing HDC at 18 at Souths, Sam Walker left as well due to Deardon.

Gold Coast have secured one of the hottest young talents on the market, stealing teen prodigy Tanah Boyd from Brisbane until the end of 2021.

The classy halfback has been hailed the best playmaker to come through the Queensland junior ranks in almost 20 years and will join the Titans immediately.
    Bit over the top but that was a quote from an article when we signed him in 2019.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 25-08-23 at 03:26 PM.