Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

When does the NRLW start can’t wait to watch a titans side play with a bit of pride and each other

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    When does the NRLW start can’t wait to watch a titans side play with a bit of pride and each other
    All comes back to the coach IMO

Sort of ok with that.

Here is the strange thing: at the start of the year the team played with confidence then the selection rubbish started to kick in. Proctor, Wallace and probably Thompson had too much say in either selection (team and captain) or noses out of joint. Then we find out Clarke can't pass out of dummy half, Sexton is a one-trick pony and Campbell is way underdone. Then the experiments start. The forward shake-ups. The Fifita experiment. Marzhew isn't ready. Sami is a centre. Smith and Boyd are saviours and so on.

I feel confused every week but I think not as much as the poor bastards who have to train in a different configuration every week.

After all that I can safely deduce that:
    (1) Sexton is a bust, destined for "what could have been". Foran will bring-on a Weaver or Fuller or another. I am no Boyd fan but he is a much safer team option than Sexton in my opinion. That doesn't make him a star, he's just safer.
    (2) everybody witnessed that McIntyre can provide service better than we have had all year. We need Verrills until Bryant or similar step up.
    (3) Campbell is way ahead of himself. He is courageous and can play rugby league but just not at NRL level, at least not yet. He doesn't kick strategically if he does at all. He can't tackle effectively. If he passes he passes in traffic like it's the backyard. He goes missing for large sections of the play. He gets rag dolled every time he gets tackled AND against nearly everybody on here's opinion he doesn't make tackle busts although everyone seems to think he a wonder kid.
    (4) AJ is an enigma. He has obvious talent but a low ceiling.
    (5) the coach has absolutely no idea how to manage these players. I am not talking about training techniques or game plans, which I will stay away from but he just doesn't seem to be able to read their strengths and weaknesses.

Enjoyed that and now I will shut up.
    Last edited by Titanic; 05-08-22 at 08:29 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I felt Boyd straightened up his outside backs better than Sexton does. Sexton tends to run diagonally sideways across the field and ruins the lines the outside backs can potentially run. I also feel the opposition has to respect Boyd's pace with the ball in hand a little more.

While neither are great options I'm of the belief Boyd is the better option for the remainder of this season.

Sorry one last thing. I totally agree Birdy but lets remember that Holbrook (the halfback) has coached that into him. I wonder if anyone can provide an insight into how he played as a junior?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Good post T

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Sort of ok with that.

Here is the strange thing: at the start of the year the team played with confidence then the selection rubbish started to kick in. Proctor, Wallace and probably Thompson had too much say in either selection (team and captain) or noses out of joint. Then we find out Clarke can't pass out of dummy half, Sexton is a one-trick pony and Campbell is way underdone. Then the experiments start. The forward shake-ups. The Fifita experiment. Marzhew isn't ready. Sami is a centre. Smith and Boyd are saviours and so on.

I feel confused every week but I think not as much as the poor bastards who have to train in a different configuration every week.

(1) Sexton is a bust, destined for "what could have been". Foran will bring-on a Weaver or Fuller or another. I am no Boyd fan but he is a much safer team option than Sexton in my opinion. That doesn't make him a star, he's just safer.
    (2) everybody witnessed that McIntyre can provide service better than we have had all year. We need Verrills until Bryant or similar step up.
    (3) Campbell is way ahead of himself. He is courageous and can play rugby league but just not at NRL level, at least not yet. He doesn't kick strategically if he does at all. He can't tackle effectively. If he passes he passes in traffic like it's the backyard. He goes missing for large sections of the play. He gets rag dolled every time he gets tackled AND against nearly everybody on here's opinion he doesn't make tackle busts although everyone seems to think he a wonder kid.
    (5) the coach has absolutely no idea how to manage these players. I am not talking about training techniques or game plans, which I will stay away from but he just doesn't seem to be able to read their strengths and weaknesses.

If anyone wants to have a laugh watch the press conference, I was hanging by a thread that Holbrook could prove me wrong we oh my goodness if that press conference is an indication of his coaching we are in for a world of hurt again next year, he is deadset clueless

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Sort of ok with that.

Agree with most but not about Campbell, still less than 20 games. Too me shows more courage than Brimson, 2honoasses miles before defence line and is soft in the collision.

Boyd’s defence is worse than Sexton

If anyone wants to have a laugh watch the press conference, I was hanging by a thread that Holbrook could prove me wrong we oh my goodness if that press conference is an indication of his coaching we are in for a world of hurt again next year, he is deadset clueless
    Ya think mate... I guarantee it

Watching the game I think we stuff up our rotation with joliffe being on too long and burning out and becoming a target for the attack. Mo has a motor and should be playing more minutes and it’s frustrating to watch. It feels like Holbrook had thrown in the towel a bit especially when we were behind by 8 be should’ve rushed tino and mo back on to keep the pressure on. Hard when we lost booth so early but yeah I think we can all agree we are missing a 9 desperately. Hopefully we can get verills

First Grader

Watched Holbrook’s interview and it clearly shows that he doesn’t recognise what our biggest deficiency is which is our passive defence, lack of line speed and kick chase. If he reckons we matched Storm physically he has no idea as they ran more than 300 metres than the Titans.

If he is coach next year, then it will be another long year as this bloke just does not get it even with the very basics of the game
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 06-08-22 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    Watched Holbrook’s interview and it clearly shows that he doesn’t recognise what our biggest deficiency is which is our passive defence, lack of line speed and kick chase. If he reckons we matched Storm physically he has no idea as they ran more than 300 metres than the Titans.

If he is coach next year, then it will be another long year as this bloke just does not get it.
    Yeah, the week to week press conferences are frustrating. Seems like he's on a mission to make it as least controversial as possible.

Honestly, I'm sure Holbrook recognises that we're leaking too many points and losing most key defensive areas. Worth mentioning that Dennis Watt did come out recently and highlight that defence along with our general fitness as the key areas that need to improve. The fact Dymock lost his job indicates it's been recognised too.

For some reason in press conferences he recycles the same 2 or 3 things which to me says he's either a) blindfolded during the match or b) not comfortable opening another angle of discussion and would rather keep the conversation focused around something less detailed and perceived as an "easier" fix (spine personnel).

It's an odd one WD and it is frustrating from a fan perspective.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 06-08-22 at 08:32 AM.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Yeah, the week to week press conferences are frustrating. Seems like he's on a mission to make it as least controversial as possible.

Honestly, I'm sure Holbrook recognises that we're leaking too many points and losing most key defensive areas. Worth mentioning that Dennis Watt did come out recently and highlight that defence along with our general fitness as the key areas that need to improve. The fact Dymock lost his job indicates it's been recognised too.

For some reason in press conferences he recycles the same 2 or 3 things which to me says he's either a) blindfolded during the match or b) not comfortable opening another angle of discussion and would rather keep the conversation focused around something less detailed and perceived as an "easier" fix (spine personnel).

It's an odd one WD and it is frustrating from a fan perspective.
    Yeah you are probably right HS but I prefer a coach who is transparent, tells you how it is and doesn’t talk BS. The fact he said we matched the Storm physically was BS and supporters and I am sure the players know this.

You don’t see the top coaches like Bellamy, Robinson, Arthurs talk BS at press conferences and they are straight shooters which is one of the reasons why they are respected. People lose respect if they are not honest and he continues to lose my respect and I am sure plenty of other supporters
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 06-08-22 at 09:28 AM.

Yep that's fair enough WD, as you say I think a lot of supporters share your thoughts

Holbrook each week states the effort is there, as if he is putting forward the. Are that the team is trying for him.
    Then he started on the inexperience again deflection.
    if the effort is there and this is the performance they put up each week then it must be his coaching as they are not improving at all, looked like a rabble each week.