Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Heard buzz say on 360 Milford's missed the most tackles in the comp hope we go in with a plan to send fifita fermour and Tino at him all game he always scores against us too

Quote Originally Posted by ALX25 View Post
    Is Khan-Pereira off contract?
    Contracted until end of 2023

Round 16 preview: Knights v Titans
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/...ghts-v-titans/

A season that started with such promise has fallen away for two clubs who played finals in 2021 and would have had designs on being part of the September action again this year.

The Knights launched their campaign with wins over the Roosters and Tigers before hitting the skids with seven straight losses while Gold Coast won two of their first four and pushed Parramatta and Canberra in the other two.

As they head into Round 16, the Titans sit 16th, whereas the Knights are 12th - three wins outside the eight - but they can take some comfort in the fact their run home includes games against the Bulldogs and Tigers.

To say this is a must-win match for both sides would be a massive understatement and with so much at stake, this shapes as a gripping struggle in front of the loyal Newcastle faithful.

The Rundown

Team news
    Knights: Star fullback Kalyn Ponga has been ruled out after suffering a concussion in Origin Two and his place is taken by Tex Hoy. Prop Daniel Saifiti (knee) and centre Bradman Best (elbow) are listed in the reserves and could be a chance to return in a boost for Adam O'Brien. Dane Gagai has a five-day turnaround after the Origin game in Perth and will be monitored.

Titans: Superstar David Fifita (knee) will return via the bench for his first game since Round 12 while veterans Kevin Proctor (biceps) and Corey Thompson (knee) are listed among the reserves as they eye a return to action. Captain Tino Fa'asuamaleaui has been named to back up from Origin while Moeaki Fotuaika is good to go after representing Tonga on Saturday and will come off the bench.

Key match-up
    David Klemmer v Isaac Liu: With 403 games of experience between them, Klemmer and Liu have huge roles to play in trying to turn around the fortunes of their clubs. Klemmer has been immense for the Knights, churning out 144 metres per game and slipping 22 offloads in his 10 matches. Two-time premiership winner Liu's value to the Titans goes far beyond his 99 run metres and 27 tackles per match, as he imparts the knowledge acquired over 217 games at the elite level. No quarter will be asked or given as two of the game's true warriors leave it all on the park in search of victory.

Stat Attack
    The Knights have won just one of six matches on their home patch this season, taking care of Wests Tigers 26-4 back in round two. Since then they have lost to Manly, Parramatta, Melbourne, Brisbane and Penrith at McDonald Jones Stadium, conceding 197 points and scoring just 28. Last year the Knights were 5-4 at home before the competition was transferred to Queensland due to COVID. The Titans are 1-8 away from Cbus Super Stadium in 2022.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans complete Captain's Run ahead of Knights trip
    PhotosL https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/...-knights-trip/
    Titans complete final preparations ahead of the trip to Newcastle.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

'Really go after it': Liu refreshed and ready to be chink in Knights' armour
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/...nights-armour/

Isaac Liu is back, refreshed and re-energised to turn things around, after a welcomed week off for the Representative Round.

En route to Newcastle to face the Knights this Friday night, the veteran forward was initially due to head to New Zealand last week to play for the Kiwis in the Pacific Test before withdrawing due to the impending birth of his second child, which has allowed him time away from the game to spend with his family.

"I'm feeling good. I had a good week off. We all came back in on Monday all fresh and we've had a good week of preparation, so we're all good to go," Liu said.

Set to line-up in the forward pack for the must-win clash against the Novocastrians, the Titans have a fairly simple approach to getting the job done to get back on track for the second half of the season.

"Our game plan will be pretty simple really. We've just got to go out there and play our footy," Liu said.

"We want to run hard, complete our sets and get to a good kick. I think last game we made some errors in crucial times, so we just need to keep it pretty simple this week.

"We're both looking for a win. For us, we've just got to back ourselves and really go after it. Obviously, the last few weeks haven't been too good a result, but we've got to go down there and play to win for each other."

Bolstered by the return of enforcer David Fifita from injury, the 217-game prop is excited to welcome back the game-breaker, especially with what he can deliver with the ball-in-hand.

"It's good to have [Dave] back. We've all seen Davey play, especially in attack. He's a weapon in that 20 metres or even in yardage sets," Liu said.

"It's great to have him back and I look forward to it. I can't wait to have him out there."

This weekend is a huge occasion for the NRL with it being Beanies for Brain Cancer Round, raising money for the Mark Hughes Foundation, and Liu is once again proud to be running out for the occasion.

"It's definitely a great cause and it's a special time for all of us, especially in the NRL and us players to get out and put in a good performance and make sure we do alright for the cause," Liu said.

"Particularly in Newcastle, there's always an awesome atmosphere down there. It's going be really loud.

"It's great that everyone's getting behind it and we both can really look forward to getting down there and playing good footy."

Fermor eager to make Gold Coast proud in Origin audition against Knights
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/...ainst-knights/

Beau Fermor was like a kid in a candy store in the Queensland Origin camp last week.

Surrounded by a number of Maroons greats who he grew up watching as a youngster, the 23-year-old admits was in absolute awe of the calibre of players who were now in the coaching staff and had to continually pinch himself to make sure his experience was reality.

But aside from the excitement, the barnstorming back-rower also used the week-long camp in the extended squad to soak up as much as he could, learning plenty to bring back to the Titans ahead of their Round 16 clash against Newcastle this Friday.

"It was unreal. I learnt heaps," Fermor said.

"It was disappointing the boys didn't get the result on Sunday, but just to be in and around those boys and those coaches was unreal and I've learnt heaps which is really good."

"Especially a couple of little things around my defence that Billy (Slater) and Cam (Smith) picked up on and did a bit of work with me on how to fix.

"Hopefully I can bring that back to the Titans and keep working on my game here to push them to get better and get some more wins."

Whilst the proud Dalby junior's full attention turns to wearing Gold Coast colours for this weekend, in the back of his mind is the chance to go one better for Game III and make his Origin debut in a decider at Suncorp should Slater opt to make changes.

"I think the boys tried really hard on Sunday and all I can do is go out and play my best footy for the Titans on Friday night and hopefully get the win against the Knights," Fermor said.

"Billy did say I was in the squad for a reason and will pick from that squad if he needs to make changes.

"I was just really happy to be in camp and all I can do is play well and hopefully the rest will take care of itself.

"If I earn that opportunity, then I'll be really grateful."

As well as motivation to push into Queensland's top 17, the proud Gold Coast forward wants to help gets some wins on the board to make the community proud and bring plenty of joy to fans after a recent tough time on the field.

"I want to play well for the Titans first and hopefully get some wins for our fans and our community," Fermor said.

"It's been a bit tough lately with wins, so hopefully we can perform really well starting this weekend against the Knights."

"We've got to go down there and put in a good performance because we know that they're going to show up as well.

"They're just as desperate as us to get a win, so we're going to have to be playing really well to be beat them."

This weekend is a huge occasion for the NRL with it being Beanies for Brain Cancer Round, raising money for the Mark Hughes Foundation, and with the former NRL fullback being a proud Novocastrian, Fermor is expecting a huge crowd to be in force to support the cause and the Knights.

"To play down in Newcastle where it all started with Mark Hughes, it'll be awesome to play down there," Fermor said.

"I know being in Newcastle for a couple years before I was here, they really get around the Beanie for Brain Cancer Round and it'll be awesome to play down there in this round.

"Hopefully everyone can get behind with their support and buy beanies, because it's going to a great cause."

First Grader

I just find it appalling how Holbrook has treated Fifita over the past 2 years and I doubt Fifita will have any intention on staying no matter what is offered

I just hope we tackle like we mean it tonight! Titans by 12+
    Last edited by Menoitios; 01-07-22 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    I just find it appalling how Holbrook has treated Fifita over the past 2 years and I doubt Fifita will have any intention on staying no matter what is offered
    What do you mean lol? Fifita hasn’t earned his stripes in any sense of the imagination

He’s copped a bit of over the top criticism but most of the stuff surrounding his lack of ability to find good ball has been valid

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by T0ken View Post
    What do you mean lol? Fifita hasn’t earned his stripes in any sense of the imagination

He’s copped a bit of over the top criticism but most of the stuff surrounding his lack of ability to find good ball has been valid
    First of all no player and particularly a State of Origin player likes coming off the bench. It is a total disrespect for the player and you would not see any other coach doing the same. Quality players and rep players do not come back from injury onto the bench even after long injuries. They go straight back into the starting line up such as Latrell, Paps .

You would also not find any other coach other than our hair brain coach starting plodders like Proctor and McIntyre ahead of Fifita nor would any other coach play Fifita who had never played at centre before in that position which is the most difficult position to defend in a team and we all now how that went.

You say Fifita had not earned his stripes however he scored 17 tries last year and was the top forward try scorer. and this was despite Holbrook, not because of him.

He may not have earned the money he is on but he certainly had earned his right to the starting position ahead of our other numpties.
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 01-07-22 at 01:33 PM.

Agree WD. When teams have a stand out anomaly like Fifita they construct a 12+1 strategy to give them the ability to play the way they do. We just don't bring him into the game properly and expect him to be just an up-graded version of the run of the mill back row. He's not that, he's unique and needs to be treated like that. It will be interesting to watch how he goes tonight. I just hope it doesn't spoil the weekend. I used to love watching us play early but now I dread it.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I hate the way the media beat their drum and the haters join the chorus. Take David Fifita as an example. A quick look at the stats for last year showed he was massive. What about this year? I thought I'd take a look...

Our back row. I know, the players named haven't played strictly backrow this year. But I wanted to see their numbers anyway. Fermor, McIntyre, Proctor, Liu and Fifita. How's their attack? I looked at how many games they've played, tries, try assists, runs, run meters made, line breaks, line break assists, tackle busts and effective offloads.

Liu has played 14 games - He's scored 0 tries, 0 try assists, he's had 138 runs and made 1187 meters. He's made 0 line breaks, 1 line break assist, 6 tackle busts and made 3 effective offloads.

McIntyre has played 8 games - He's scored 0 tries, 0 try assists, he's had 53 runs and made 438 meters. He's made 0 line breaks, 0 line break assists, 7 tackle busts and made 1 effective offload.

Proctor has played 8 games - He's scored 0 tries and 0 try assists, he's had 28 runs and made 211 meters. He's made 0 line breaks, 0 line break assists, 1 tackle bust and 4 effective offloads.

Fermor has played 14 games - He's scored 5 tries, had 1 try assist, he's had 154 runs and made 1449 meters. He's made 4 line breaks, 0 line break assists, 26 tackle busts and made 1 effective offload.

Fifita has played 9 games - He's scored 3 tries, had 3 try assists, he's had 106 runs and made 971 meters. He's made 6 line breaks, 5 line break assists, 35 tackle busts and made 9 effective offloads.

I'd say Dave pulls his weight when he's on the field in attack. Of course...we'll always be told he should do more, but the other blokes should get a boot up the clacker before Fifita. (Fermor excluded...he's a weapon)

So...what about defence?? This is interesting. Lets look at games played, tackles made, missed tackles, tackle efficiency %, Missed tackles that lead to tries and over all errors and penalties conceded.

Liu has played 14 games - He's made 338 tackles, missed 11 tackles and has a tackle efficiency rate of 92%. He's missed 0 tackles that have lead to tries, made 4 errors and conceded 7 penalties.

McIntyre has played 8 games - He's made 198 tackles, missed 23 tackles and has a tackle efficiency rate of 84%. He's missed 0 tackles that lead to tries, made 1 error and conceded 2 penalties. (He's also been sin binned once)

Proctor has played 8 game - He's made 148 tackles, missed 7 tackles and has a tackle efficiency rate of 92%. He's missed 0 tackles that lead to tries, made 1 error and conceded 3 penalties.

Fermor has played 14 games - He's made 431 tackles, missed 35 tackles and has a tackle efficiency rate of 90%. He's missed 6 tackles that lead to tries, made 11 errors and conceded 4 penalties.

Fifita has played 9 games - He's made 177 tackles, missed 17 tackles and has a tackle efficiency rate of 86%. He's missed 5 tackles that lead to tries, made 6 errors and conceded 3 penalties.

If the media want to single Dave out (pay packets aside and remembering it's a team sport) maybe they should question his defensive efforts. And even in doing that, remember...it's a team sport and every decision made affects your inside and outside man and his ability to do his job also.

At the end of the day...stats are just numbers though, ay!?
    Last edited by Menoitios; 01-07-22 at 02:16 PM.

A switched on coach that realises his team is a hot mess in defence would most likely recognise that big Dave is excellent in attack and a bit of a liability in defence. If the rest of the side was up to par defensively, they could cover for Dave's shortfall. They're not, and they can't. What to do??

It seems obvious that JH thought that by putting Dave on the bench, he could strengthen a team weakness in defence and then bring him on as the damaging ball runner we all know he is to wreak havoc.

Sounds great in theory...
    Last edited by Menoitios; 01-07-22 at 02:46 PM.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    First of all no player and particularly a State of Origin player likes coming off the bench. It is a total disrespect for the player and you would not see any other coach doing the same. Quality players and rep players do not come back from injury onto the bench even after long injuries. They go straight back into the starting line up such as Latrell, Paps .

You would also not find any other coach other than our hair brain coach starting plodders like Proctor and McIntyre ahead of Fifita nor would any other coach play Fifita who had never played at centre before in that position which is the most difficult position to defend in a team and we all now how that went.

You say Fifita had not earned his stripes however he scored 17 tries last year and was the top forward try scorer. and this was despite Holbrook, not because of him.

He may not have earned the money he is on but he certainly had earned his right to the starting position ahead of our other numpties.
    Many of those 17 tries were scored coming off the bench against tired defense.

Once again we are playing like a team that hasn’t trained together clueless in attack just offer nothing