Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast

I've been impressed by booth he has a nice short kicking game close to the line and tough in defence with a crisp passing game

I think an Assistant Coach in the Jason Riles ilk is what we need.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

I think Parr is on a retirement plan back to his hometown of Newcastle. There is some talk about us chasing Robert Lui from the Blackhawks ... oh please no!
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

First Grader

Surely the Lui talk is just a gee up. He hadn’t played NRL for 7 years and would be 33 next year.

Good to watch Foran tonight. He was straightening up the Manly attack quite a bit. I hope him and Fifita will be an awesome match next year. Few days to go before the August 1 deadline and no noise on players to fill the squad.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    These two senteces sum it up really:

When Dynasty bosses floated the concept with Sea Eagles hierarchy, who liked the idea, they also reached out to the Titans to gauge their interest in a pride jersey to support the LGBTQ community.

It is understood the Titans, like Manly, saw merit in the concept, but politely knocked back the proposal due to a number of unique designs already in Gold Coast’s jersey stable.

Then a Titans representative speaks about the unique Indigenous & Pacifica Jerseys.

Cracker of a clickbait headline though.
    And why did Manly think that it was a good idea to do this in a round dedicated to an entirely different promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    And why did Manly think that it was a good idea to do this in a round dedicated to an entirely different promotion.
    My thinking too. Bloody ridiculous when Women’s Round is an institution. I do have a cynical comment but I’ll refrain in the face of the beating I’d take :-)

I know this has been a really challenging year for all our supporters but at this stage of our season i am resigned to the small things. Not sure if we will win another game this season, but hopefully-

* We will not see Wallace, Proctor or Isaako in a Titans jersey again

* Herbert at centre is done, and either he plays ok on the wing or gets dropped out of top squad

* Holbrook settles on Tino as a prop. Not sure if Clark is the answer at 13, but best option at the moment

* Jojo continues to develop and can become a strike centre in years to come

* We will have a new defensive and fitness coach next year

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Ausphin View Post
    I know this has been a really challenging year for all our supporters but at this stage of our season i am resigned to the small things. Not sure if we will win another game this season, but hopefully-

* Herbert at centre is done, and either he plays ok on the wing or gets dropped out of top squad

* Holbrook settles on Tino as a prop. Not sure if Clark is the answer at 13, but best option at the moment

And hopefully a new Football manager, recruitment officer and more support staff

First Grader

Gold Coast Titans ex-playmaker Mat Rogers says too much talent, not enough leadership

Former rugby and rugby league international plus ex-Gold Coast Titans star Mat Rogers drills down into what he thinks is tripping up his old team – and how he’d fix it.

Former Gold Coast Titans star Mat Rogers believes the ailing club lacks leadership – and tapping into the old boys who “spilt blood for that jersey” is critical.

The dual-rugby international said ex-Titans players like Nathan Friend, Preston Campbell and Scott Prince would help revive a winning culture and boost leadership at the club.

Rogers, wading into the Titans’ dismal season with just three wins leaving them 15th on the NRL ladder, said it appeared the club was attracting talented players but forgetting leadership.

“I feel for the young talented players. Who is leading them, taking them under their wing, saying ‘Don’t do that, do this’. It’s an important part of developing young men,” he told the Bulletin.

“You can buy talent all you want. It’s not going to get the job done.

“It’s about having a strong senior playing group which I don’t think the Titans have had since me, Luke Bailey, Preston Campbell, Nathan Friend. They just haven’t had it – professionalism.

“(Foundation coach) John Cartwright knew this.

When I retired he called and said I need you back. I don’t even need you to play – I just need your head around these players.”

The Titans horror 2022 season after a finals run in 2021 hit a new low this past week, with former captain Kevin Proctor shown the door after posting online his halftime toilet vape during the team’s loss to the Bulldogs.

“They have the respect of the players. The jersey means a lot to them,” he said.

“I’m not saying (captain) Tino (Fa’asuamaleaui) is not a great leader – he’s swinging his bat as hard as I have ever seen anybody swing one.

“Strong leadership group sets the tone, creates the culture, I wonder how much that is discussed or whether they just discuss this guy is a good player, that guy is a good player – It’s the critical part of the game – the intangibles.

“I hope they get it right. I know people who bled for that jersey who’d be willing to help the club get back on its feet.

“Culturally they are struggling because they are not thinking about the most important part which is leadership.”

“Melbourne Storm, you become part of a strong culture.

“Probably train harder, more discipline, better culture.

“They turn average players into good players, good players into great.

“As a player agent, that’s the club I want to send players.”

Titans coach Justin Holbrook called it “really dumb” but insisted it wasn’t symptomatic of a rotten culture: “It’s one action – as a club the nucleus of this side is really committed to what we’re doing.

“We’ve got the right people and we’re making a few changes with staff and players.”

Rogers said bringing stalwarts into the fold like Campbell, Friend and Prince would “make a difference”.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausphin View Post

Great post mate,

Agree regarding the top two comments no question. A shame about Herbert really, had hoped he'd become a defensive guy out in that young backline.

As for Tino at prop and Clark at 13 i'm not so convinced as a starting option, I like it as part of our most effective pack that likely finishes games, but I think we need a bigger body at 13 to at least start the games, just my thoughts. I'm actually intrigued to see what a real lengthy middle in Jacob Alick could do at 13, i'll admit I haven't seen nearly as much of him as others here, but I like his unusual body shape and movement enough that I think he could stifle some early attacking pressure up the middle. He looked great there in the PNG game.

I think Tino needs some real long mobile bodies around him in the middle to move around and soak up early pressure, if Fermor and Fifita are going to be played as real edge back-rowers it's probably best to have a bigger true 13 there, because otherwise you pretty much leave Tino on an island to fend for himself alongside a smaller (although I do like him and think he's good at 13) Erin Clark and whoever else at #8 against fresh big forward packs. I think Erin Clark at 13 could really open up opportunities for Fifita and Fermor though as the game goes on.

Definitely think Jojo is a centre long-term, already showing huge defensive instincts and strength for a rookie that has played a season (?) of rugby league even on the wing. built like a smaller back-rower too.

- - - Updated - - -

^^ Completely agree with Mat Rogers there. Tino flat out needs some more help, no idea how the club goes about getting him that sort of help but hopefully Kieran Foran is a step in the right direction in the leadership dprtment.

Banned

Remember when we first signed Corey Thompson and he was playing fullback
    Those were the glory days

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THOSE DAYS

Then AJ Brimson comes back and is not very good fullbacks

Who's your daddy AJ Brimson
    Who's your daddy

We are at the bottom of the ladder now with the Tigers beating the Donkeys tonight. Our position is well deserved.

Holbrook’s “I’m the man for the job” was very disheartening especially now he wins the salad spoon. He’s got hide like a rhino.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Just had a look, the Tigers are last by 1 point on for and against, not that it makes that much of a difference.
    Not quite right Ozy.
    The tigers have won more games than us so they're not last. Also according to the NRL site their differential is 13 points better than us so not sure where you saw our differential is better.