Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast
    First Grader

To be fair, HS and RS are both right but when the golden opportunities come your way which would have lifted our club to be competitive every year, we thumb our nose at it and dont go and do the due diligence when the highest echelon of coaches offers their services. It would have cost us an extra $200k but the titans management could not have been bothered to find out the situation. Whilst i cant stand the bloke, I do respect his coaching ability and the ability to improve individual players and teams and I would suggest that we would be talking about what position in the top 8 we may get rather than the wooden spoon.

"Unwanted super coach Wayne Bennett approached Titans to coach in 2020

Wayne Bennett has revealed he approached the embattled Gold Coast Titans to coach in 2020, but was rejected by the club who declined the services of the six-time premiership winner.

Wayne Bennett has revealed he was sensationally snubbed for the Titans job after the NRL’s greatest coach privately approached club bosses offering to help rebuild the embattled Gold Coast.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Bennett was ready to coach the Gold Coast for $600,000-a-season, only to have his advances rejected by club powerbrokers.

Bennett has confirmed he made a series of approaches to the Titans around September last year after being advised by the Broncos board that his contract would not be renewed beyond the 2019 season.

Mindful recently-sacked Titans coach Garth Brennan was contracted for this year, Bennett offered to join the Titans in 2020.

The super coach believed he could use his 40 years of experience, having delivered six premierships to a Broncos club he joined in their foundation year in 1988, to implement structures that would make the Titans a title force.

The 69-year-old also engaged a third-party associate to discuss plans to give the Titans a seven-time premiership-winning coach.

But after Gold Coast bosses politely declined Bennett’s offer, South Sydney swooped, effectively completing a straight coaching swap with Broncos-bound Anthony Seibold.

The Titans’ snubbing of Bennett has proved a disaster.

While Bennett has steered the Rabbitohs to second spot, in contention for his eighth premiership, the last-placed Titans are in crisis following the sacking of Brennan, hunting for a replacement who cannot match the super coach’s record.

“I did consider the Titans job,” Bennett said on Wednesday night.

“The truth is I was genuinely interested in coaching them.

“I actually had a player manager make contact with them and another third-party with mutual ties called the Titans to let them know I was interested.

“I also made personal contact with one person at the Titans as well and told him I would coach them.

The Broncos decided I’d reached my use-by date and I wanted to coach on, so I had to look at other opportunities.

“I was looking at the 2020 season and beyond because at that point, I was still contracted to the Broncos (for 2019) and the Titans had a coach in place.

“The word that came back to me was they weren’t interested... simple as that.”

It is understood money was one impediment in the eyes of Titans chiefs.

The financially-prudent club feared it would have to pay in excess of $1 million to secure Bennett, who was on $900,000 at the Broncos.

But Bennett, motivated by the challenge of bringing success to the Titans, would have signed for $600,000 a season.

There were also concerns Bennett could have been difficult to manage at a time when he was embroiled in a bitter war of words with Broncos bosses.

Bennett says he has no bitterness towards the Titans, having found contentment at the Rabbitohs.

But the veteran coach, a proud Queenslander, believes he could have solved the NRL’s greatest riddle – can a rugby league team succeed on the Gold Coast?

“I know what’s required to succeed at the Titans,” he said.

“I would have been able to rebuild that club.

“I went to Canberra before the Broncos came in when the Raiders were only five years old.

“They finished 11th out of 13 teams the year before I went there and the next year, working with Don Furner, we played in the 1987 grand final against Manly.

“I then started the Broncos (in 1988), we didn’t even have a team and we went on to win six premierships.

“I get how it all works.

“I’m in NSW again with South Sydney and it wasn’t expected, but now that I’m here at the Rabbitohs, I’m very happy actually, it’s a wonderful club and it’s a move that I’m pleased with.

“But Queensland rugby league and the health of the game in Queensland is always close to my heart.”

Asked why he wanted the Titans job, Bennett said: “I thought I could offer the Titans a more consistent football team.

“I felt I could help their brand and I thought I could get their fans on-side and build a supporter base for the Gold Coast.

“I’ve always been a coach for the fans. That’s why my teams play entertaining football.

“I’m always touched when I walk to a ground and I see the mums and dads driving in with their little kids in their arms in their supporter gear and logos.

“Some of our fans would be lucky to earn $60,000 a year, but they love the game, they love their club and the colours and all they want is their team to have a go and play for the jumper.

“That’s what I could have brought to the Titans.

“That’s what we built the Broncos on. I remember Paul Morgan (Broncos co-founder) saying to me, ‘Wayne, we won’t win every game but we need our fans to go home being proud of the team they just watched and then they will come back’.

“You know your business is failing when your repeat customer doesn’t come back. If you do a good enough job, the customer comes back.

“I would love to see a strong Titans brand. The tragedy at the moment is that the three Queensland teams are struggling and it’s putting pressure on our State of Origin team.

“It’s not hard to get the Titans competing for their fans.

“I was confident enough I could do that.”

Player disenchantment was a factor in Brennan’s sacking. Significantly, Bennett has never lost the dressing room and blasts suggestions he is an agitator who is difficult to manage.

“One thing I will say is this – I’m not hard to manage,” he said.

“The problem is some management don’t understand why you do things and how you do things. To justify their arguments, they will say I’m difficult to manage.

“I was told by the Cowboys 10 years ago I was too old and had lost my way. Within two years, I took the Dragons to a premiership.

“There have been that many things written and said about me over the years it’s been ridiculous.

“Anybody who truly knows me knows I’m not divisive. I couldn’t have achieved what I have in this game if I was pig-headed and divisive. I’m the opposite. You can’t build teams and care about players and win premierships if you are divisive.

“The one criticism the critics can never throw at me is that I can’t build happy teams.

“I’m glad Souths recognised that in me.”
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 06-08-22 at 03:13 PM.

Didn't do much for the Saints and Newcastle. Maybe he needs a budget behind him

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Didn't do much for the Saints and Newcastle. Maybe he needs a budget behind him
    He won a premiership with St George and had a 65 per cent winning record. LOL
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 06-08-22 at 06:40 PM.

All good HS I agree it's very hard to get the intended tone on a digital platform.

Hey WD I'm not the biggest fan of Bennet as a human either and as you point out we probably missed a massive opportunity/turning point for our club. This is where a good head coach demands and drives the club to have the support and structures required for success (including culture IMO).
    A run of the mill coach isn't going to bring this expertise and IMO it's exactly what this immature club needs right now.

Hurricane comes across as a nice guy but in hindsight he just isn't want the club required and he may well be successful at a more mature club (but I doubt it in the NRL at this stage) and for what its worth Fitzgibbon is probably a flop at this club also.

IMO the Phins have been pretty diligent to recognise that Bennet will bring much more than a few drills and selecting the best 17 every week and as some others have pointed out on here they'll go straight passed us if we're not bloody careful.

I keep banging on about this but have no doubt we need to act now and find the guy that has the skill set that matches where this club is at.

So who the hell is this guy? Who has a proven track record that would deliver for such an immature club?
    I guarantee you this it isn't Hurricane unfortunately.

What about Michael Hagan?

Club has to have the package, the coach has to want to come just for starters. Availability doesn’t equal a good fit on many levels. Hannay would be my target immediately. Yesterday’s presser was absolutely sickening. “Yeah, it’s just the little things …. “ enough please!!!!!
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Why Hannay T?

Experienced Queenslander who I believe is a footy thinker. The type of bloke we need I think, a bit like Fitzgibbon.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I still think we should give Holbrook atleast the start of next season and then if no changes we go hard after Bellamy for 24

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Club has to have the package, the coach has to want to come just for starters. Availability doesn’t equal a good fit on many levels. Hannay would be my target immediately. Yesterday’s presser was absolutely sickening. “Yeah, it’s just the little things …. “ enough please!!!!!
    What do you exactly expect from a press conference 5 minutes after a loss with the media management rules the nrl puts on coaches. There’s a reason pressers are so beige and it’s because no one wants to do them

Quote Originally Posted by NSW Titan View Post
    I still think we should give Holbrook atleast the start of next season and then if no changes we go hard after Bellamy for 24
    Well that will be another whole season right off.
    Look I'm willing to listen but could someone please point me to another situation where a coach looked so useless with 10 or so losses in row and then he was able to turn things around and produce a premiership contending side.
    If there is an example please share it may just give us all hope?

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    Look I'm willing to listen but could someone please point me to another situation where a coach looked so useless with 10 or so losses in row and then he was able to turn things around and produce a premiership contending side.
    Plenty of ways this comparison doesn’t stand up (Payten was in his first year while Holbrook is in his third, the Cowboys signed a premiership winning halfback for this season, etc.), but simply in terms of a big run of losses, then last year’s Cowboys are an example. They lost 11 of the last 12 games of the season (the only win being over a Saints team that was in the midst of losing their last 8 games of the season) including 10 straight from round 14 to 23. They lost those 11 games by an average of almost 20 points (average score was approx. 16 - 35).

Hey Nums that's a pretty good one and as you allude to has some differentiating factors but all that aside my hope remains low.

Hey Nums that's a pretty good one and as you allude to has some differentiating factors but all that aside my hope remains low.
    Yeah, even half the bounce the Cowboys have had this year would be great next season given where we’re at at the moment, but agreed, I ain’t holding my breath.

Yeah it would be, but it would be a small price to pay to get even half of the success hes had at the Storm.
    Not even sure we would be able to get him tbh, Storm will be doing everything they can to keep him.
    Just my 2 cents.