Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    He won a premiership with St George and had a 65 per cent winning record. LOL
    He has the worst winning % out of any Newcastle coach in history, 40.6%

Correct me if I'm wrong but he won a minor premiership with the Saints the first year he was there? So who assembled that roster?

Bennett has made a lifetime of selling himself as the selfless super coach. From his BRL days to now. Through the Stupid League tragedy and countless discarded players, door mat assistants and teams stacked with legendary players. He has always had the advantage with rosters, now we will see what he can do with the bitsa mob he’s assembling. His worst Origin team was no worse than what Fatty had, Qld Origin teams are special. I’m glad we didn’t touch him.
    Last edited by Titanic; 07-08-22 at 07:31 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

First Grader

Yes I cannot stand Bennett either but you cannot dispute his record and he would have improved the Titans and we would not be in the position we are today of collecting another wooden spoon.

The only real correlations are club football, You cannot seriously take State of Origin into account into what makes a good club coach otherwise we would be saying Mal Meninga was a legend of a club coach in which he admitted that it was not for him.

Despite what JB had said, it is not correct that WB had a winning record at Newcastle of 40 per cent and has the worse record of any Newcastle knights coach. His record was 45 per cent and Nathan Brown has the worse winning record at Newcastle of only 25 per cent. Other coaches with worse records than WB include Alan McMahon, David Waite, Adam O’Brien and Rick Stone. Considering WB had that megalomaniac Nathan Tinkler to deal with who failed to pay players, failed to provide the resourcing promised when he took over the club and actually interfered with the coaching, it was remarkable that WB didn’t have a worse record.

In respect of St George, he took over from the team that finished 7th the year before and he took them to 2 minor premierships and a premiership. Also he took Souths to 3 successive top 8 at Souths including a grand final. Both coaching stints can only be considered a success.

The Titans missed a fantastic opportunity to improve the team when he offered his services for only $600k.

Despite misgivings of him as a person, he clearly produces results and we would not be getting the wooden spoon this year if Bennett was coach. His reputation is that he has good rapport with players and has a proven record of improving the player and the team and the club is currently paying the price for dismissing his offer without any due consideration.

I also believe that Mal had something to do with the clubs idiotic decision as it is widely known that he does not get on with Bennett and Mal has been a complete failure at the Titans
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 07-08-22 at 08:48 PM.

Hey WD I recon your on the money with that great post and we all agree Bennet is such a tosser

Banned

How about Brad Fittler a coach

Quote Originally Posted by coreythompson View Post
    How about Brad Fittler a coach
    Yep we were discussing tossers and he'd be alright with you and Mitch as his assistants

Yes I cannot stand Bennett either but you cannot dispute his record and he would have improved the Titans and we would not be in the position we are today of collecting another wooden spoon.

The only real correlations are club football, You cannot seriously take State of Origin into account into what makes a good club coach otherwise we would be saying Mal Meninga was a legend of a club coach in which he admitted that it was not for him.

Despite what JB had said, it is not correct that WB had a winning record at Newcastle of 40 per cent and has the worse record of any Newcastle knights coach. His record was 45 per cent and Nathan Brown has the worse winning record at Newcastle of only 25 per cent. Other coaches with worse records than WB include Alan McMahon, David Waite, Adam O’Brien and Rick Stone. Considering WB had that megalomaniac Nathan Tinkler to deal with who failed to pay players, failed to provide the resourcing promised when he took over the club and actually interfered with the coaching, it was remarkable that WB didn’t have a worse record.

In respect of St George, he took over from the team that finished 7th the year before and he took them to 2 minor premierships and a premiership. Also he took Souths to 3 successive top 8 at Souths including a grand final. Both coaching stints can only be considered a success.

The Titans missed a fantastic opportunity to improve the team when he offered his services for only $600k.

Despite misgivings of him as a person, he clearly produces results and we would not be getting the wooden spoon this year if Bennett was coach. His reputation is that he has good rapport with players and has a proven record of improving the player and the team and the club is currently paying the price for dismissing his offer without any due consideration.

I also believe that Mal had something to do with the clubs idiotic decision as it is widely known that he does not get on with Bennett and Mal has been a complete failure at the Titans
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...8d6cc39ff5a017

Missed opportunity agreed. But what can he achieve or anyone achieve with a shoe string budget compared to the clubs that have funds X amount times more than us. Bennett may have cost $600k but he comes with a support team the likes we will never seeor possibly afford here.

I'm off to Melbourne for three days, if I see any Storm players or coaches I'll hit them up for a transfer.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...8d6cc39ff5a017

Missed opportunity agreed. But what can he achieve or anyone achieve with a shoe string budget compared to the clubs that have funds X amount times more than us. Bennett may have cost $600k but he comes with a support team the likes we will never seeor possibly afford here.

I'm off to Melbourne for three days, if I see any Storm players or coaches I'll hit them up for a transfer.
    With all due respects JB, that is the defeatists attitude that was evident at the club when Bennett made his offer. To sign him, would have brought in significant extra revenue for the club which would have paid for any extra support staff needed.

Marquee Coaches are like marquee players and they bring extra sponsorship and income to clubs. When Bennett went to the Dragons, sponsorship went up 30%. When he went to Souths they got 2 new sponsorships for $2million. It was estimated that when he went back to the Broncos, it could generate an extra $5million per year.

It is about looking for increased income opportunities when expenditures are increased. Success on the field brings success off the field and Bennett would have brought the Titans much more success than we have ever had and would have increased our revenue base.

For the record, the actual knights coaching records are at the following link
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nights_coaches

Have a good trip down Melbourne and also have a word with Matt Tripp to see whether he is interested in moving north.
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 08-08-22 at 11:30 AM.

On the Football department spending and staffing conversation I have found these articles. PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE ARE JUST A QUICK GUIDE TO GIVE PERSPECTIVE.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp....5a54b32140d6a6

FOOTBALL DEPARTMENT SALARY CAP
    MICHAEL CARAYANNIS, The Daily Telegraph
    31 August, 2017

NRL clubs have agreed to a landmark proposal to introduce a cap on football club spending from next year.

A football department cap of $5.7 million will be introduced from next year after a meeting of club chief executives and NRL boss Todd Greenberg yesterday.

It was agreed that the figure will be lifted by four per cent in the next three years to enable staff to be given CPI salary rises.

Clubs will have until 2020 to get under the salary cap, and if they do not they will be taxed 37 per cent tax on whatever they overspend by.

Head coach and assistant coach salaries are included, as are training camps. Operational costs will also come out of the cap but not capital costs of centre of excellence.

NRL head of strategy David Silverton said it was an important move to curtail the rising costs of running club football departments.

2016 NRL CLUBS FOOTBALL DEPT. SPENDING
    SPENDING CLUBS
    $8M+ Raiders, Eels
    $7M+ Bulldogs, Broncos, Rabbitohs, Roosters, Panthers
    $6M+ Storm, Sea Eagles
    $5M+ Knights, Cowboys, Dragons
    $4M+ Tigers, Sharks
    $3M+ Titans

“By putting the cap in place it will help ensure that our competition remains competitive and even,” Silverton said.

“It will also help ensure that NRL clubs do not overspend simply to keep up with other clubs.

“And that should help our clubs remain financially sustainable.”

The move will save the game about $10 million per season.

The Raiders, Canterbury and Parramatta were among the biggest spenders last year forking out about $8 million each to run their football programs.

While the likes of Brisbane, the Roosters, South Sydney, Melbourne, Penrith and Manly spent above the proposed $5.7 million.

Premiers Cronulla only spent about $4.5 million last year, while the Titans, the Tigers, St George Illawarra, the Warriors and Newcastle spent less than $5.7 million.

The football department cap will be reviewed in 2020.

Meanwhile, talks will resume between Greenberg and the Rugby League Players’ Association today as they look to secure an agreed collective-bargaining

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/05/...-job-security/

Why NRL coaches now have extra job security
    Author
    Brad WalterNRL Senior Reporter
    Timestamp
    Mon 5 Feb 2018, 12:00 PM

Some info from that article.

The disparity among clubs is also demonstrated by the number of football department staff they employ, which ranges from 13 to 23 and averages 16 across the NRL.
    This includes staff employed in:
    • Coaching
    • Performance
    • Football operations
    • Medical
    • Welfare
    • Recruitment.

To this end when you look at the coaching boxes in games I tend to count the number of people in the Box and rarely I see more than 5 in Titans box. Looking at the Storm, Broncos, Roosters and Souths for example have a cast of many in the Box. I remember an article that the Titans run leanly ("smell of an oily rag" I think that it said ) and if you compare numbers its fair to say that we do.

If you have a cap of $5.7 mil you need to have that money to spend up to it in the first place. Looking at a $3mil spend on the footy department and a $550K spend on the head coach assistants x 2 $440k (for both) this leaves $2,050,000 Mil on the rest of your footy department. Of the remainder a club would need to set aside a chunk of money based on the medical side of things ( https://vishalpai.com.au/news/privatekneesurgerycosts ------rough cost of a knee reconstruction ) So medical costs could easily reach $250k depending on how many injuries you have over the season.

Anyhow just an FYI and some info.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Cool thanks BT

It would be good to get some updated figures for football club operations across the NRL. Especially for us. It has a very big effect on the team. On medical, wouldn't there be insurance at NRL level for all players? I just assumed this. But medical staff and facilities is definitely and expense too.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    It would be good to get some updated figures for football club operations across the NRL. Especially for us. It has a very big effect on the team. On medical, wouldn't there be insurance at NRL level for all players? I just assumed this. But medical staff and facilities is definitely and expense too.
    Correct, the players get private medical cover as part of their contact.

The medical reference in BT’s article is referring to staffing.

QLD Cup

I understood the article to read that he would have accepted $600K. Not that he offered himself at $600K or am I misunderstanding? It's reasonable for management to think that he would want a lot more.

Banned

I reckon we should have kept Garth Brennan along with Leilani Latu

SEN interviewed Jaimin Joliffe recently:

Key takeouts:
    -Primary focus recently is on defensive detail at training (as it shouldve always been...)
    -2022 pre-season conditioning sounds inadequate and the players know it, relying on GPS data etc. to dictate the workload. Says next pre-season will be different and compares it to the Cowboys approach.
    -Says the entire team backs Holbrook and the playing group have a strong bond with him
    -A few positive comments on Sam Verrills as a potential signing
    -Speaks about Melbournes ability to slow the ruck and win the tackle