Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast
    First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Team certainly looks stronger with 13. Clark and 14. Boyd. I agree with Foran and Brimson as halves. Really interested to see Verrills' impact.

I agree about the "Melbourne Storm-style" pre-season. Hopefully we hear something from the club. It would go some way to restore faith with the fans.
    From memory Steve Mitchell said in that members forum Q and A that the club has addressed that the pre-season and fitness wasn't up to standard and that will be a big focus going into next year. Joliffe also said in a radio interview that they know this will be the hardest pre-season they've ever had, so it definitely sounds like they know what they're in for.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Boonarga View Post
    My team for next year with some left-field selections.

1. Campbell
    2. Kelly
    3. J. Fifita
    4. Fermor
    5. Khan-Pereira
    6. Brimson
    7. Foran ©
    8. Tino
    9. Verrills
    10. Jollife
    11. Fifita
    12. Liu
    13. Clark
    14. Boyd

Although Boyd improved greatly and is a favourite of mine, he hasn't done enough yet to get a starting spot over Brimson or Foran. Plus, he adds value on the bench.
    Kelly is a winger. Not a Centre.
    I still have reservations about Campbell at fullback but his defence seemed much improved when he returned from injury at the end of the season.

Whoever is selected, the squad MUST be put through a Melbourne style pre-season. Being fitter than the other team takes you a long way in a game.
    Definitely left-field.
    I like the thinking behind more defensive minded centres with better tackle efficiency like cowboys have adopted with their halves.

Because Sami and Marzhew and more experienced and our biggest meter eaters on the wing, I would have to opt for them over the speed of Kelly and Khan-Pereira who may be better off the back of shape. It will be the tighter contests they will be found out.

I think fermor brings so much in the 2nd row I wouldn't move him. I would give Jojo a stint in the centres though as he is in for a big preseason. I would partner him with whomever of kelly/francis/herbert/spry/turner can best combine defensively with their winger.

Foran & Brimson will be a very good combination for taking on the line, playing short to their back row and set plays. They will definitely have good communication and talk also which is fundamental and I think this is by far our best halves pairing.

Jayden Campbell is going to have a massive preseason also and must stay fullback. The starting pack looks good except I would move Liu into prop, Joliffe to bench as Joliffe misses slightly more tackles so better match up against tired defenders and Joliffe is slightly more impactful.

Tino reflects on first year as captain
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/...ar-as-captain/
    It's been a year of learning for new skipper Tino Fa'asuamaleaui. The 22-year-old sat down with Titans.com.au to speak about how he saw his first season with the 'c' next to his name.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

First Grader

There is a good chance that Lenui may become available next year despite a year to go on his contract due to salary cap constraints with the Panthers.

He is not on big money and comes from the strongest system. With Wallace and Ese Ese moving on next year, he would be a great pickup

Quote Originally Posted by WolfBuddy4 View Post
    Definitely left-field.
    I like the thinking behind more defensive minded centres with better tackle efficiency like cowboys have adopted with their halves.

Because Sami and Marzhew and more experienced and our biggest meter eaters on the wing, I would have to opt for them over the speed of Kelly and Khan-Pereira who may be better off the back of shape. It will be the tighter contests they will be found out.

I think fermor brings so much in the 2nd row I wouldn't move him. I would give Jojo a stint in the centres though as he is in for a big preseason. I would partner him with whomever of kelly/francis/herbert/spry/turner can best combine defensively with their winger.

Foran & Brimson will be a very good combination for taking on the line, playing short to their back row and set plays. They will definitely have good communication and talk also which is fundamental and I think this is by far our best halves pairing.

Jayden Campbell is going to have a massive preseason also and must stay fullback. The starting pack looks good except I would move Liu into prop, Joliffe to bench as Joliffe misses slightly more tackles so better match up against tired defenders and Joliffe is slightly more impactful.
    It won’t be a popular opinion but Sexton is the long term half and needs to play from R1 2023.
    Otherwise release him and then we can sit back and watch him play 10 yrs NRL with another club

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonm View Post
    It won’t be a popular opinion but Sexton is the long term half and needs to play from R1 2023.
    Otherwise release him and then we can sit back and watch him play 10 yrs NRL with another club
    I had the same opinion not long ago. I just think AJ and foran are more on the same wavelength will how they read the game. More tricky set plays together. Foran better defensively than sexton and manly were always getting scored against on dce's edge, not foran like we were getting scored against on sexton's edge. These players have a better feel for the game at this stage of the career and we will be more defensively resolute.

However, if it is a throw away 2 years, I am of the opinion AJ and Sexton should be given that time together to really establish a dynamic combo. I just think sexton is absolute miles off a moses or cleary in terms of natural ability, maybe could get to the keary, dce type player that both struggled to make it past week 1 of the finals past couple of years despite solid rosters around them

First Grader

I have mentioned previously that I would go hard for Spencer Lenui who was only on for 20 metres in the GF but made a barnstorming 104 metres. He provides so much impact on both sides of the ball.

He is on a small contract currently and has a year to run on his contract but the Panthers could release him early due to salary cap pressure. A middle rotation of Tino, Lenui, Mo and Jolliffe would make us very formable in the middle. I am sure we could get him on much less than what Wallace was on and seeing the Panthers have offered Martin only $550K Penrith would not be offering Lenui much when he becomes available for negotiation on 1 Nov.

An offer for Lenui at a reasonable price could be gettable and significantly improve our roster which is currently deficient in the middle IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    I have mentioned previously that I would go hard for Spencer Lenui who was only on for 20 metres in the GF but made a barnstorming 104 metres. He provides so much impact on both sides of the ball.

He is on a small contract currently and has a year to run on his contract but the Panthers could release him early due to salary cap pressure. A middle rotation of Tino, Lenui, Mo and Jolliffe would make us very formable in the middle. I am sure we could get him on much less than what Wallace was on and seeing the Panthers have offered Martin only $550K Penrith would not be offering Lenui much when he becomes available for negotiation on 1 Nov.

An offer for Lenui at a reasonable price could be gettable and significantly improve our roster which is currently deficient in the middle IMO.
    I'm a huge fan of what Leniu has shown so far but reckon we'd have an uphill battle of trying to recruit a young bloke with his entire family + network in western Sydney. I know it sounds a bit strange given it's professional sport but historically those younger Polynesian boys don't like to leave that network and relocate interstate and it will take a premium to get them out of Sydney (unless you've got the reputation of the Melbourne Storm).

Then you've got the challenge of even with Penrith not being able to afford him, plenty of other (Sydney) clubs will put a decent salary in front of him to be a starting middle I'd imagine and that could price him out of our range too.

Would love to be proven wrong on all fronts because he'd be useful with his carry and aggression but I'm also a bit cautious based on his capability to defend efficiently for big minutes outside of the Penrith safety net, and what would be considered good value if he's purely a limited minutes impact middle forward (or not).

Great young player though WD.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 04-10-22 at 08:48 AM.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    I'm a huge fan of what Leniu has shown so far but reckon we'd have an uphill battle of trying to recruit a young bloke with his entire family + network in western Sydney. I know it sounds a bit strange given it's professional sport but historically those younger Polynesian boys don't like to leave that network and relocate interstate and it will take a premium to get them out of Sydney (unless you've got the reputation of the Melbourne Storm).

Then you've got the challenge of even with Penrith not being able to afford him, plenty of other (Sydney) clubs will put a decent salary in front of him to be a starting middle I'd imagine and that could price him out of our range too.

Would love to be proven wrong on all fronts because he'd be useful with his carry and aggression but I'm also a bit cautious based on his capability to defend efficiently for big minutes outside of the Penrith safety net, and what would be considered good value if he's purely a limited minutes impact middle forward (or not).

Great young player though WD.
    Rumoured to be close to signing with the Dragons. Technically the same state but not exactly Western Sydney.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Rumoured to be close to signing with the Dragons. Technically the same state but not exactly Western Sydney.
    Also Leilua moved from West Tigers to the Cowboys which is an interstate move. Sports people will move if the price is right.

Considering we had approx $1m invested in departing Wallace and Ese Ese, there should be some good funds available for a good starting prop and maybe a local which combined would come in well below what we were paying Wallace and Ese Ese.

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    Also Leilua moved from West Tigers to the Cowboys which is an interstate move. Sports people will move if the price is right.

Considering we had approx $1m invested in departing Wallace and Ese Ese, there should be some good funds available for a good starting prop and maybe a local which combined would come in well below what we were paying Wallace and Ese Ese.
    I mean, Leilua is 26 and had been at two clubs already and played over 100 NRL games. He's also reportedly being paid 700k per annum to go up to NQ.

Wollongong is under a 90 minute drive from St Mary's...in terms of Sydney travel, that's nothing. It's a completely different challenge when living interstate without any family nearby. If the price is right = overpaying against other club offers then count me out haha.

An apparent $1m invested in departing Wallace and Ese Ese, but we've also bought Foran and Verrills so increased spending (substantially) in other position groups of need. Just some food for thought and I will say that assuming that the best way to use salary cap funds is to replace a departing player with the same position dollar for dollar isn't realistic or wise, IMO.

We def need a middle or two WD but I think we've just got differing perspectives on how the cap is used to do so, and what options are most realistic. Which is sweet I'd love Leniu...at an affordable price, and with a relocation of some relo's so he doesn't get homesick haha

Banned

Erin Clark you are our son

Junior

Josh Kerr?

Interesting to see B Kelly is off contract on Nov 1 and I haven't heard anything in the media about us trying to re-sign him at all.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    I mean, Leilua is 26 and had been at two clubs already and played over 100 NRL games. He's also reportedly being paid 700k per annum to go up to NQ.

Wollongong is under a 90 minute drive from St Mary's...in terms of Sydney travel, that's nothing. It's a completely different challenge when living interstate without any family nearby. If the price is right = overpaying against other club offers then count me out haha.

An apparent $1m invested in departing Wallace and Ese Ese, but we've also bought Foran and Verrills so increased spending (substantially) in other position groups of need. Just some food for thought and I will say that assuming that the best way to use salary cap funds is to replace a departing player with the same position dollar for dollar isn't realistic or wise, IMO.

We def need a middle or two WD but I think we've just got differing perspectives on how the cap is used to do so, and what options are most realistic. Which is sweet I'd love Leniu...at an affordable price, and with a relocation of some relo's so he doesn't get homesick haha
    All good HS and it is healthy to have respectful different viewpoints.

My view is that we need a quality middle and probably a starting middle at that. At this stage we have Tino (top shelf), Mo (has regressed a lot this year), Jolliffe (handy bench), Lui (underwhelming this year considering he is on $550k). I see our Development middles have still a long way to go to reach NRL standard.

With our middles this year, we got dominated in the ruck most games with most opposition teams pouring down the middle and we could not compete with them nor stop their go forward. Tino needs support with a high quality middle to stop the go forward and with Tino likely to be out with SOO and likely injuries with our middles during the season, we are IMO desperately short of quality in props for next year to compete against the top teams.

I am not too fussed which middle we get, providing it is a quality and genuine NRL starting or 1st bench middle to support Tino.

I mentioned Leniu (who is genuine quality) as I believe he is on only $300K and an offer of $500K-$550K may induce him to make the move as he has stated he wants a starting position next year which he will not get at the Panthers with Fisher Harris and Leota in front of him. So he is looking to move clubs anyway.

Whether he would move to the Coast is another matter but having discussions with him to find out, would in my view, make good business sense as he will be coming from the best system in the NRL So he will have the necessary work ethic which we need.

If he doesnt want to move to the Coast, so be it, and we look for another quality middle to support Tino.
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 05-10-22 at 12:26 PM.