Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

I don’t think many other clubs will be offering 22 yr old Tanah Boyd a starting halfback gig nor do I think he would want to exit his contract and leave. That just doesn’t make much sense especially when Foran is retiring after his short gig with us.

Garrick is a pass for me. Chasing fullback money so too expensive as a winger, and we’ve got enough quality and depth at fullback with Kini and De Groot emerging.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 05-09-22 at 08:44 PM.

Moving people to the utility role has a history of hurting their potential to develop and earn. When he was in the utility role as a hooker we hated it so there is that to consider too.

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    I'd be happy with Garrick at FB even if it cost us JC. Moving Boyd back to 14 is a kick in the pants and another club may offer him a better opportunity. Foran might be the one we are wondering how he fits in come next year and then wondering why our knee jerk reaction was to employ a retiree other than for depth.
    Im struggling to fathom why anybody would think this is a good idea. What is your reasoning for losing JC? He’s been one of our best all season and has a very high ceiling. Just because he can’t tackle well at this point in his career? By that logic Melbourne should have let Pappy go too?

If you wanted a winger playing fullback that can goal kick then why not keep Isaako? I couldn’t care less where Garrick plays. He’s an average winger than can goal kick. That doesn’t constitute a fullback to me.

What about Des as a mate for Foran?

It seems that Turbo Tom and Jake can't stand the pencil-necked geek. Might be worth sounding out at least.
    Tom can slot into centre.

Mad Monday hasn't even finished and it's already Mad Forum. It is going to be a long off-season, so thank heavens there is the World Cup. I suppose the obvious question is 'can goal kicking be taught'? How about Jojo, he can do everything else or Sammy Mac ... just joking but surely we can coach somebody into that role.

I like Garrick but I don't think he is anywhere near a priority for us. We have placed our faith in Foran and Verrills, so let's be happy with that and focus on reproducing some more like Jojo and Klese. The Cows can do it by building largely from within and so can we. In the past we just grabbed who was available, we should have learnt from that and now that we have some good pathways we don't need to do that now.

The ole Bodsie should be chuffed that we are able to see a majority of locals wearing our colours next year.
    Last edited by Titanic; 05-09-22 at 03:27 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I think all of us deserve a day on the drink today, after the season we just went through. I hope I'm not alone.

By the way, I think you'll find DCE's neck is wider than his head. That neck is something else. It's like he's half man, half giraffe!

Couldn't Jayden be taught to kick conversions? He already takes the kick off and drop outs?

QLD Cup

Judging purely off the last four rounds of the season, what’s peoples preference between Foran or Aj at 6? We are going to have to shift one of these players out of the 6 jumper and where they go is another question, but I’m intrigued to know who we think is a better player based on recent form.

For me it’s Aj.

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    Judging purely off the last four rounds of the season, what’s peoples preference between Foran or Aj at 6? We are going to have to shift one of these players out of the 6 jumper and where they go is another question, but I’m intrigued to know who we think is a better player based on recent form.

For me it’s Aj.
    AJ to 6, Foran to 7.

I think Foran at 7 is fine enough, you're kind of getting enough play-making out of both Brimson and Campbell while also injecting a guy like Verrills who can take that pressure off if needed. I think we'll have to get some value out of Erin Clark at 13 for it to work really well, but at the end of the day we probably can't roll out a starting spine without all 3 of Foran, Brimson and Campbell and be successful. I'll go Tanah right now at 14 btw, think he's earnt a spot in the 17 and you can throw him out there if game-management ends up being problematic without a real 7.

Like others have said though goal-kicking might prove to be a serious problem. In fact, I wouldnt be surprised if we end up having some head-scratcher lineups out there just to accommodate a goal-kicker next year.

Rep Player

I think AJ 6, Foran 7, JC 1. Then again let’s see how the off/preseason shakes out. Boyd I think is 14 regardless. It’s a long time til 2023 so will just sit back and see what shakes free. I don’t want to see Herbert in a titans jersey again. His selfishness cost us a final game and with everything to prove this year he was putrid. Scored what 1 try? Awful in defence, zero in attack. I’m done seeing him.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    I'd be happy with Garrick at FB even if it cost us JC. Moving Boyd back to 14 is a kick in the pants and another club may offer him a better opportunity. Foran might be the one we are wondering how he fits in come next year and then wondering why our knee jerk reaction was to employ a retiree other than for depth.
    Garrick instead of JC, surely this is a piss take

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    Im struggling to fathom why anybody would think this is a good idea. What is your reasoning for losing JC? He’s been one of our best all season and has a very high ceiling. Just because he can’t tackle well at this point in his career? By that logic Melbourne should have let Pappy go too?

If you wanted a winger playing fullback that can goal kick then why not keep Isaako? I couldn’t care less where Garrick plays. He’s an average winger than can goal kick. That doesn’t constitute a fullback to me.
    Spot on

That's the big question NZFan. I agree with the other NZer and 5YC. At the moment it makes sense to have AJ at 6 and Foran at 7. I'm expecting JC to keep improving and growing and threatening defences. However a fair bit can happen in the preseason.

Even with Boyd at 7, Clarke's role is key. Hastings showed what a 13/7 can do with two 6s. He pushed the Jurbo/Yeo model a bit further.
    Can we do that? Rule tweaks and interpretations could push the smaller/bigger 13 one way or another.

In saying that, following trends set by successful teams rarely gets the same results. We've just gotta be the best version of ourselves. I really want us to get a good sports psychologist and use them a lot. I think our coach could have a lie on the couch too.

We are the only team this year to not beat a top 8 side this year and I dont think we have beaten a top 8 side since 2020 when we beat the knights at the end of the year.

I'm really excited to see what Erin can bring as a full-time 13. The guy has a bad rep because of his limitations as a hooker but there's a reason his teammates recently voted him in their top four for the RLPA player's champion award. Bloke has a big engine, is high on effort and plays tough. He showed he can be effective running the ball and with a pre-season there he'll be better at playing his role in different shape.

Herbert isn't a starter next year IMO but you still need guys like him on the roster. Depth is necessary and he's not a drain on the salary cap. High effort, can cover centre and wing, and lord knows he's a much better defender than Marzhew. Had a very good 2021 season too. Off contract end of 2023 and I don't see him being with us beyond that given we've got Jojo, Spry and Tony Francis all coming through.