Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    With Qcup though, they often won’t update the actual team list until an hour before kickoff. Sometimes even as late as kickoff when the players take the field
    Yea I've been caught with that too a few months ago. Now I just wait. I think there is still value in looking at the named teams though.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Yea I've been caught with that too a few months ago. Now I just wait. I think there is still value in looking at the named teams though.
    Yeah for sure, I'd also reccommend following Burleigh & Tweed on social media platforms as they will often provide updates and player inclusions before team lists are updated on QRL.

From the weekend - Tweed Qcup had a narrow loss to the Cutters 24-22. Burleigh Qcup had a big win against reigning premiers Norths Devils 54-18.

In the HDC - Burleigh Colts won their fixture 30-16 whilst Tweed Colts went down 22-10 missing all their NSW U19's boys (Weaver, De Groot and Bryant). Haas & Barnes also made their Qcup debut, and Charlie Murray was elevated to Qcup as well.

Player reviews to follow
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 20-06-22 at 07:00 AM.

Junior

Tom Weaver named at 6.

Unlucky for Oskar Bryant (#19) and De Groot (#21) to miss selection.

See: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2022/0...ate-of-origin/

Qcup:

Tweed lost to Cutters, 24-22.

Klese Haas made his Qcup debut off the bench and played 28 minutes in the middle. Looked up to it physically and his first carry was a really strong one. He only had 4 carries total and spent a lot of time tackling but what impressed me was his attention to effort off the ball. Constantly moving, putting himself in position to run decoys, and just generally trying to find ways to get involved even if it wasn't with a carry or making a tackle. Those sort of traits are positive to see and generally speak to a player's focus and willingness which tends to translate well to NRL. Hopefully he continues to get more minutes at this level because I think he can be NRL ready in 2023.

No other Titans players featured for Tweed.

Burleigh defeated Norths Devils, 54-18.

Lofi Khan-Pereira scored one but had a reasonably modest game otherwise. Looked threatening a few times on kick returns as Burleigh often shift early to the left (titans-esque) to try and give Lofi some space. Did miss a few tackles and I think if anything is holding him back from NRL it's his ability to take big opposition wingers 1 on 1.

Iszac Fa'asuamaleaui played 25 minutes and made 67m in that time. A solid effort in his stint and making the most of his minutes as he always does.

Herman Ese'ese scored a nice try and ran for 205m. Had the second lowest tackle count of the entire pack and put up similar numbers on that side of the ball last week. We know what he can do with the ball, but his effort without it is something I'm still waiting to see.

Aaron Booth had his biggest stint yet, starting and playing 51 minutes. Was solid, service was decent (except for one pass that resulted in an intercept), looked to defend well and generally seems to be finding his role and some chemistry amongst that team. I was surprised he didn't play NRL on the weekend and expect him to be named next week.

Tony Francis was absent with injury.

First Grader

HS

Thanks for the insights.

Good to hear about Klese efforts off the ball as it is a trait that is often overlooked. You look at the Panthers and they have off the ball efforts in bucket loads which helps to hold defences up

Quote Originally Posted by ALX25 View Post
    Tom Weaver named at 6.

Unlucky for Oskar Bryant (#19) and De Groot (#21) to miss selection.

See: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2022/0...ate-of-origin/
    Both NSW and QLD Teamlists for the U19 Origin Game available here:

https://www.nrl.com/draw/state-of-or...9s-v-qld-u19s/

Jojo at centre for QLD, and Josiah Pahulu off the bench. Kaleb Ngamanu named in extended squad.

As ALX says, Weaver at 6 for NSW. Oskar and Jaylan not in the final 17 at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    HS

Thanks for the insights.

Good to hear about Klese efforts off the ball as it is a trait that is often overlooked. You look at the Panthers and they have off the ball efforts in bucket loads which helps to hold defences up
    Spot on mate. It’s good to see those kind of habits in younger players for sure

Immortal

Burleigh’s Taine Tuaupiki who undertook a portion of the 2021/22 off-season with the Titans continued at fullback in Round Twelve of the Queensland Cup against the Norths Devils with Taine Tuaupiki scoring in the 19th minute when the Burleigh five eight ran the ball to the left around ten metres out from the line before putting in a right foot kick with the outside of his boot with the ball going back towards the play the ball. Taine Tuaupiki raced through to collect the ball and score under the posts.

Taine Tuaupiki also recorded a try assist in the 28th minute when he joined into the Burleigh backline on the right around ten metres out and with a Devils defenders charging out of the line at him, executed a great catch and pass to his right to send his winger over in the right corner.

Taine Tuaupiki then recorded a 59th minute line break when whilst thirty five metres from the line and Burleigh running the ball to the left of the play the ball, Taine Tuaupiki received an inside pass from his five eight and after a left foot step Taine Tuaupiki got to ten metres out from the try lien before being tackled. Taine Tuaupiki was then awarded a penalty for a high tackle.

Playing all eighty minutes, Taine Tuaupiki ran for 115 metres (seventeen post contact), made two line breaks, had a line break assist, the afore mentioned try assist, broke an equal team leading five tackles and made two tackles of his own.

At the completion of Round Twelve of the Queensland Cup Taine Tuaupiki had the second most number of line breaks in the competition with thirteen, was also second from a line break assist perspective with eleven, fourth in try assists with eleven, fifth in all runs with 153 and second in kick return metres with 462 metres.

Taine Tuaupiki’s performance was such that he was named on the bench in the Courier Mail Queensland Cup Round Fifteen Team of the Week.

Immortal

Lofi Khan-Pereira continued on the left wing for Burleigh in Round Twelve of the Queensland Cup against the Norths Devils scoring in the 34th minute he chased through a short grubber kick towards his wing and after the ball eluded a number of both Burleigh and Norths hands, Lofi Khan-Pereira was able to take possession and get the ball down just before the dead ball line.

Lofi Khan-Pereira threatened early in the match, in the 10th minute when from inside his own twenty metres area Lofi Khan-Pereira who had lined up two players in from the left touchline had also gotten around his opposite number but was dragged down from behind after making twelve metres and then was awarded a penalty when he was not allowed to his feet in a timely fashion.

Playing all eighty minutes Lofi Khan-Pereira ran for eighty metres (twenty post contact), broke two tackles, played the ball at an average speed of 4.13 seconds and made a tackle.

At the completion of Round Twelve of the Queensland Cup Lofi Khan-Pereira continued as the competition’s leading try scorer with eleven and third on terms of line breaks with eleven also.

Richards on Fifita: 'Jojo is a big, strong carrier of the ball'

Joel Gould
    Wed 22 Jun 2022, 06:18 AM

Jojo Fifita has followed his father’s professional footy career all around the world. Now it’s his turn to shine.

The 19-year-old will play for Queensland Under 19 side on Thursday night in Sydney after a journey in more ways than one. His father, Pila Fifita, enjoyed a stellar career in rugby union which culminated in a World Cup appearance.

“Dad played mostly rugby union, but also rugby league when he was younger and he loved it,” Fifita said.

“Dad played professionally. He played in the Rugby World Cup in 2003 for Tonga. He played in New Zealand, Europe [for Saracens] and in Japan for Sanix Blues. We did a lot of travelling when I was younger.

“I lived in Japan for four or five years and used to speak Japanese when I was younger, although I’ve lost it now.

“All the boys in the family were born in a different place. Dad was born in Tonga, my younger brother in Japan, the youngest one in Australia and I was born in New Zealand.

“Dad has been a huge inspiration. His best advice has been to keep doing all the little one-percenters that other people don’t know about. Even when they don’t know you are doing it, the key is to keep doing it yourself.”

An outside back who can play wing or centre, Fifita is as close as it gets to making his NRL debut after being 18th man for the Gold Coast Titans against the Cronulla Sharks on Saturday.

“I am getting pretty close. I’ve just got to keep pushing and hopefully I get a chance this year, or at least next year,” Fifita said.

“I’m enjoying it at the Titans. We all push each other.

“I’ve got a lot out of Brian Kelly and Pat Herbert. They both play centre, the position I am going for, and they give me tips at training.”

Fifita attended rugby union powerhouse The Southport School (TSS), also the former school of Queensland Maroons flyer Mat Rogers, who carved out a career as a dual-international.

He had interest from rugby union franchises but chose to join the Titans and have a crack at league.

“I wanted to challenge myself, try something new and see which pathway I enjoy more,” Fifita said.

“From my year at TSS there was Zane Nonggorr and George Blake who went to the Reds. They all stuck with union. I don’t think anyone went back to league.

“I learned a lot at TSS from our coach Mike Wallace. He was hard on us and pushed us. I reckon he did a really good job with us.”

In rugby union, Fifita was an outside centre and he would often clash at schoolboy level with now Under 19s teammate Jack Howarth, who played rugby for Brisbane Boys College.

“It was me and him going against each other. That was scary… for both of us,” Fifita grinned.

“I also played with Jack for Queensland under 16s rugby union when he was outside centre and I was on the wing playing outside him. They were good times.”

Queensland Under 19 coach Kurt Richards said Fifita had progressed nicely in his rugby league journey and would offer plenty in both attack and defence.

“Jojo has had a real accelerated learning period in rugby league,” Richards said.

“It hasn’t come naturally for him from the word go, but over the last 12 to 18 months, the Titans have done a really good of progressing him, as has Ben Woolf at the Tweed Seagulls.

“Jojo is a big, strong carrier of the ball and I like the way in defence that he doesn’t give his man time or space. That’s what we are going to need from him.”

Fifita said the showdown against New South Wales was “definitely a big one” for him.

“A lot of people are going to be watching this and it will be all about which players can show their skill and shine the most,” Fifita said.

“If the team comes together, I know we will play well.”

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2022/06/...r-of-the-ball/

Hopefully JoJo can develop into that powerhouse strike outside back we desperately lack. We need our own Inglis latrell or kept manu

Interesting but pleasing to hear Jojo is gunning for a centre spot despite playing exclusively on the wing at Tweed. Anyone who has seen him play probably agrees he's a centre long-term and it does seem like him playing on the wing is a way for him to learn the game and edge systems without the defensive decision making that comes with playing centre (for now anyway).

His mate and high-school rival Jack Howarth is a unique talent himself and Melbourne have locked him up for 5 years or something. Been playing a bit of U21's this year but did play centre for Sunny Coast in Qcup two weeks ago versus Burleigh and seeing how badly he got exposed defensively made me appreciate the conservative approach with Jojo.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 22-06-22 at 07:54 AM.

Immortal

In 2020 I saw Jojo up against Jack Howarth in the GPS First XV match between TSS and Brisbane Boys College in Brisbane seriously there were 5 000 people there, the atmosphere was incredible with the winner winning the GPS First XV Premiership.

The result being that Jojo Fifita was the best player on the field and scored the match winning try right in front of where I was standing.

Jojo and Howarth had a great one on one battle but Jojo Fifita came out on top.

Howarth has played most of this season for Sunny Coast at five eighth. He said the Storm want him to work on his ball handling skills before moving him into the forwards. Suspect h3 will take up a lock role but when he played second row for Australian Schoolboys versus NZ, he was clearly the best player on the paddock. Outstanding talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
    Howarth has played most of this season for Sunny Coast at five eighth. He said the Storm want him to work on his ball handling skills before moving him into the forwards. Suspect h3 will take up a lock role but when he played second row for Australian Schoolboys versus NZ, he was clearly the best player on the paddock. Outstanding talent.
    Hey mate, are you sure you’ve got the right player? Happy to be wrong but I’m fairly sure Howarth has played centre every time he’s played Qcup this year for SC.