Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

League Unlimited TITANS v SHARKS preview
    https://leagueunlimited.com/news/374...harks-preview/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

'We've got to deliver on Sunday': Holbrook stresses importance of back-to-back wins
    http://www.titans.com.au

Titans coach Justin Holbrook is under no illusion the Sharks will be travelling to the Gold Coast with a point to prove after last weekend's disappointing loss to the Raiders.

Especially with his side coming off the back of a gutsy 20-16 golden-point victory against the Dragons in Magic Round.

"They'll be really determined to turn [last week] around after last week's performance for them," Holbrook said.

"But for us, we've got to worry about ourselves and I think we probably played with the right intent last week and we got it right.

"We've going to continue that on Sunday here at home."

Breaking a five-game drought with the gritty performance in horrendous weather conditions last Saturday, the Titans mentor knows it's just as important to back-up the showing with a strong game to show it wasn't just a one-hit wonder.

We’ve got to prove consistency on Sunday. That’s what we’ll be judged on and that’s why we have to back it up," Holbrook said.

"There's nothing that I'm going to tell you now that's going to change anyone's mind.

"We've got to deliver on Sunday."

Given how quickly the NRL landscape can change with a few wins on the trot quickly jettisoning teams up the ladder, Holbrook is hoping his side can string a few strong matches together and follow in the footsteps of the other two Queensland sides who have found themselves in the top four.

"The Broncs have done it, the Cowboys have done it and St George won a few in a row there for a while," Holbrook said.

"If you just put your head down, work hard and take one game at a time, you can get it right.

"I don't think we've been too far off in a number of games, but now in particular, we've got Jayden (Campbell) back with AJ (Brimson) and Toby (Sexton), so I think that'll help the team collectively.

"We've got to produce it on Sunday. It'll be a good opportunity for us."

Moving Nicho Hynes back into the halves, the Sharks are set to unleash Rugby Sevens star Lachlan Miller who has been a revelation for Newtown in the Knock-On Effect Cup.

"It's sort of expected I guess. He's played there all year for them, but he's equally as good in the halves and has played plenty of fullback as well," Holbrook said.

"They've opted for Lachie Miller, who's absolutely lighting up the New South Wales Cup down there for them. He'll be in at fullback and he's a dangerous player."

The clash being Super Hero Sunday at Cbus Super Stadium, the Titans coach can't wait to see plenty of families pack the stands with their capes and masks, thanks to Warner Bros. Movie World.

"We've got a great time slot playing at 4pm on Sunday afternoon at home," Holbrook said.

"I think with a bit of luck, kids can get their sport in, but I'm not sure where the weather. At least one thing we know is we're definitely planned to play, so it'd be great for all the families to come out off the back of last week's win.

"We'd love to see a big home crowd on Sunday."

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Ten weeks in: Tino reflects on Titans captaincy

Being a NRL captain is truly a baptism of fire.

Not to undervalue the immense honour and privilege of leading a National Rugby League side out each week, it's a role that quickly helps you learn more about yourself as a player and a person.

It provides plenty of challenges, regardless of whether you're riding the highs on top or having to endure the lows on the bottom of the ladder.

Nothing accelerates personal and professional growth more than having the 'c' next to your name.

Ten weeks in as the Gold Coast Titans' newest skipper at the ripe old age of 22, Tino Fa'asuamaleaui admits he has taken in plenty from his first season as the club's leader, but the most important thing that continues to ring true is ensuring he doesn't lose focus on his own performance... especially as someone who wants his actions to do the talking.

"It (the captaincy) definitely plays a big role pressure wise and just with my performance, but something I learned after the first five weeks is just to really focus on my game and make sure that I'm playing well," Fa'asuamaleaui said.

"If I'm playing well, the boys will follow and I'll lead with my actions.

"Actions speak louder than words and that's something I've learned and I've always been told that growing up.

"I just have to keep doing that, leading with my actions and the boys will follow.

"That's the main thing that I reckon I've learned and I'll keep focused on my role and keep playing well for the boys."

A tough start to the season with three wins from ten games thus far - albeit only two and a half games with the fully-fit first choice spine due to injury - there has been a little bit of outside noise critiquing the lock forward's leadership role, but there's certainly no doubt from inside the four walls at Parkwood.

The proof is in every session at Titans HQ, with the skipper leading the way every day, and an unquestionable buy-in among the club of the influence he's has already had on the entire organisation.

To help block out all those with plenty of opinions, the inspirational figurehead just re-adjusts his mindset to what he can do to make a difference.

"I just need to focus on my role in the team and making sure I'm nailing that," Fa'asuamaleaui said.

"Like in training and in games, I just need to make sure that I'm playing good footy and training well and that sort of helps me with all the outside noise."

Wanting to keep the roll on after a gritty and stoic golden-point thriller to get the two points against the Dragons, the skipper feels it's setting a simple mindset that will help them continue to climb the rungs of the premiership ladder.

"We now just need to really focus on our training and really simplify things... that leads into the game," Fa'asuamaleaui said.

"We just need to have a simple mindset and make sure that we're running hard and tackling hard like we were on a weekend.

"The boys just have to want it and want to win by simplifying things."

Ready to net the Sharks at home in this weekend's Super Hero Sunday to help turn things around, Fa'asuamaleaui hasn't lost any hope of still featuring in September.

"We've got to have the mindset to come out and want it," Fa'asuamaleaui said.

"We've got to want to win to get our season started because if we don't, it's going be very difficult to make the eight.

"Our motivation is to make sure that we simplify things and really get that win on the weekend."

Back-row battle: Fermor aims up for Origin phone call against experienced Nikora

There are plenty of quality matchups right across the park for Sunday's Titans clash against the Sharks.

Electrifying youngster Jayden Campbell plays his 12th game against NRL debutant and former Rugby Sevens star Lachlan Miller, Phil Sami is tasked to handle Siosifa Talakai to show Maroons coach Billy Slater he is worthy of a call-up and the front row battle oozes with grunt, but the one-on-one contest that will be intriguing to watch is the two edge forwards going at it - Beau Fermor and Briton Nikora.

Both similar ages, the Sharks edge forward has played almost 50 more games than the former Dalby Diehard, but that is irrelevant when looking at this year's form.

Fermor has been one of the Titans' best; pushing hard for a phone call from the Maroons next Sunday, with excellent support play on the left-hand side, especially when running off AJ Brimson to come-up with four tries so far this season.

He's also been solid in defence, getting through around 32 tackles a game at 93 percent efficiency - very similar stats to his opposite number.

There's no disputing the clash between the two classy forwards will be on the circle for the Super Hero Sunday clash at Cbus Super Stadium.

A young gun who returned from injury with a bang last week up against a man on debut looking to make his mark in the NRL.

Campbell produced a whopping 261 metres in last week's golden point win over the Dragons and made the Titans look dangerous on both sides of the field in an area that has been sorely missed in his absence.

Cronulla's call to move Nicho Hynes back to the halves gives Miller an opportunity to show his worth. His ability to link with the halves and backline will be key to the side's attack, along with his kick return yardage.

I remember a game when cbus was basically a swimming pool and we gave the sharkies a bath. Hope we can replicate it. Ash taylir tore them up that night. Hopefully JC does the same.

One refreshing thing is that Wallace always has a dig. He is very passionate. Even if it doesn't always pay off. Something we lack on the field lately. So I'm happy to see him in the team
    __________________________.

Team news: Wallace passed fit for Super Hero Sunday

The Gold Coast Titans are set to field an unchanged 17 to face the Cronulla Sharks in Super Hero Sunday at Cbus Super Stadium.

Whilst there were initial concerns Jarrod Wallace would succumb to the flu, the 182-game front row forward was back on deck training on Friday, before being given the double thumbs up after getting through Saturday's captain's run without any concerns.

Rep Player

Wow, I’ll eat crow and admit I was wrong about the Cowboys. They’re currently up 30-6 over the Storm with 25 mins to go.

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Wow, I’ll eat crow and admit I was wrong about the Cowboys. They’re currently up 30-6 over the Storm with 25 mins to go.
    They’re outstanding. Choke sides with their defensive effort play and have both halves playing across both sides of the field on attack. Payten done an excellent job

HS yep great pick up with their halves, isn’t refreshing to watch halves play both side of the ruck, just adds another dimension to their attacking sets

- - - Updated - - -

And how direct to their halves play they are very good at straightening the attack and their edge back rowers running at the gaps, created by their direct attack

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    HS yep great pick up with their halves, isn’t refreshing to watch halves play both side of the ruck, just adds another dimension to their attacking sets

- - - Updated - - -

And how direct to their halves play they are very good at straightening the attack and their edge back rowers running at the gaps, created by their direct attack
    Great to see two Qld sides in the top four now we need a run of wins to join them......am I being a little optimistic? oh! thats right one game at a time. We have to win against the sharkies first.

Wet track, going to be plenty of mistakes. Hope Tino finds a tar pit to dip his hands in before he takes the field.

Chose the living room over a wet ass for todays game.

Hopes:

• Great game for Toby Sexton. He needs our support and is still very green with only 14 NRL appearances at the age 20.
    • JC and JC can help take some responsibility off him. JC gives us more kicking options.
    • Fanboy moment for CT to score and offer some more unpredictable attack and energy.
    • Mo to continue his form renewal in the lead up to Origin and nab a bench spot.
    • Isaako to continue to ease our conversions crisis. Let Sexton focus on his job and organising the team. It's hard to keep Marzhew out but he does add value here.
    • Wallace backing up playing for a contract (Dolphins?)

Opposition:

Can't say I've watched a Sharks game for a long time!

They copped some suspensions in Will Kennedy and Jesse Ramien.

Prediction: Titans to win by less than 6 points. First back-to-back victory since Round 20 (Bulldogs) and Round 21 (Cowboys). Previous to that it was Round 2 and 3.

Round 2 (Broncos) and 3 (Cowboys) 2021. JC to continue form. Not just a heart pick here.

Road ahead:

Three home games in the next four including two QLD derbies will be important to our season and confidence of the fanbase. Strangely after playing SHARKS/BRONCOS/COWBOYS/SOUTHS we will play the Sharks again. That's four in a row in QLD. So it'll be a good chance to check our progress. Winning in Brisbane is also important for many reasons, especially for Finals. So last week was a welcome win.

OK enjoy the game ladies and gentlemen. See you at halftime. Go Titans!

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Wet track, going to be plenty of mistakes. Hope Tino finds a tar pit to dip his hands in before he takes the field.
    I agree this is a worry. But I think we handled it admirably last week. Better than I expected. And I'm sure Tino will have some better luck this week. LOL tar pit. They are allowed to wear gloves in union aren't they? I wonder how much that helps or detracts from the spectacle and sport of it.

Ref not helping with the penalties already