Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    WD, mate..come on. 500k contract for Sexton isn’t even close and I really don’t think signing an expensive half would be doing much to change the way we’re playing. If you think that’s the solution you’re missing the problem
    This is what has been reported in numerous articles when sexton signed

"The Titans rate Sexton so highly they recently extended his contract until the end of 2024, with the final two years of the deal worth close to a combined $1 million. The contract extension and upgrade was a huge show of faith for a player yet to feature in the NRL."

There are numerous problems in the team and coaching staff and having an experienced half, which is such an important part of the team, is part of the solving the problems in the team and to keep your head in the sand with an inexperienced half has much wider team implications than just the player.

Almost all premiership winning teams have a top line half and having this position covered, it provides the platform for improved team direction, organisation and attack. Something sadly lacking at the moment.

IMO Smith is the only experienced half in this squad that is any chance of leading a turn around by giving some leadership and direction.
    Not even sure he's up to it but there are zero other options

First Grader

The Tigers are genuinely a better side than us

If Fogs was still here, he would be playing first grade. I am now concerned that JC is going to be thrown back into that sh#t show. He will be on a hiding to nothing.
    Coach was appy with the defence of the forwards tonight…interesting.

Haven't posted all year as I just kept getting sick of saying the same old things. I'm so p1ssed off after that I need to vent.
    I thought in the off season that if the trust in our spine didn't play out, we are a bottom 4 side. Try bottom 2.

Just some observations:
    - Clarke was a poor hooker last year and this year he is no better. It appears we put all our eggs in Brandon Smith's basket and lost out. At any rate that would have been for 2023 so we had no plan b. That is poor recruitment.
    - Sexton did very little in his 4 games last year and everyone could see he was as slow as a wet weekend. He is now 11 games into his career and he has shown nothing. His kicking game is hopeless. A recruitment gamble and fail. Holbrook takes responsibility for these decisions.
    - fullback is a huge problem. Campbell in his games this year did little other than be a speed hump. He is far too small to be an NRL fullback.
    - Lui is on retirement holiday
    - Mo went backwards last year and that has continued. Ditto re comments about Wallace and Proctor.
    - some of the coaching has me stuffed. We don't come up in defence, but what really gets me is in the early sets, quite often we'll have one forward carry it in the set, followed by the usual predictable kick. Holbrook is losing me fast.
    - I like watching Fafita but no way is he worth the cash. Would be happy to let him go unless he drops his price a lot.

Desperately need a half and hooker, but then again that's what few of us said last year. Nothing's changed and I'm sick of the excuses.

Hey MT. Good to hear from you again. Missed the banter.

Team list Tuesday will determine whether I bother traveling down the highway on a Friday next week.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Hey MT. Good to hear from you again. Missed the banter.

Team list Tuesday will determine whether I bother traveling down the highway on a Friday next week.
    Do you really think a few team changes will fix this mess? Honestly, I think we're done. And I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    This is what has been reported in numerous articles when sexton signed

"The Titans rate Sexton so highly they recently extended his contract until the end of 2024, with the final two years of the deal worth close to a combined $1 million. The contract extension and upgrade was a huge show of faith for a player yet to feature in the NRL."

There are numerous problems in the team and coaching staff and having an experienced half, which is such an important part of the team, is part of the solving the problems in the team and to keep your head in the sand with an inexperienced half has much wider team implications than just the player.

Almost all premiership winning teams have a top line half and having this position covered, it provides the platform for improved team direction, organisation and attack. Something sadly lacking at the moment.
    Yep I know the article. I also know media outlets exaggerate and make up figures and I know that “the last 2 years (23/24) combined close to 1mil” doesn’t equal Toby Sexton being on 500k right now.

An experienced half is great. And not letting Fogarty go would’ve been great to have a cheap alternative there. But signing an expensive half and expecting that to turn our fortunes is a logical fallacy. Have you watched Brisbane this year? You think they’re going to win a premiership while Adam Reynolds is there? Have you asked Cowboys fans what they think of Chad Townsend?

You’re right re premiership winning teams having great halves. I just disagree with the way you’re suggesting we should have gone about it. Look at Melb/Penrith/Roosters halves and the timelines of their careers. I think you’ll find none of them were initially signed on top dollar. The way to do it is you either develop for the long haul, or you make good value signings that don’t ruin your salary cap of only give you short term improvement and you build around that. Jackson Hastings is currently a good example of what I mean.

And no I’m not saying Toby Sexton is our forever 7 and we shouldn’t be worried. Or looking at the market for someone to take the pressure off. He’s playing bad. But he’s 11 games in and in an overall hugely under performing side. We’ve got way bigger issues that throwing huge money at halves wouldn’t have solved

G’day MT thought you’d reappear last week but admire your restraint. Thanks for posting, fully endorsed. Fogarty wasn’t much chop but Sexton isn’t causing a ripple.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Sexton is young and has shown patches of form way too early to throw in the towel.
    Mate Campbell is good, adds great variety in attack and his defence is average it will improve with his growing.
    Agree with Liu and Clark.
    I think you have too high expectations on the young players-Sexton and Campbell, they need 30-40 games to understand NRL

First Grader

HS- Maybe my wording wasnt as clear but Sexton was already under contract for this year. The new contract which extended his current contract was for the next 2 years which was signed for a reported nearly $1 Million which was a ridiculous amount for a local junior who hadn’t played much NRL.

Cronulla signed a gun half who has guided the team brilliantly into the top 4 and likewise Townsend has directed the Cows really well to have them in the top 8. Sure they are not the sole reasons for their respective teams improvements and the quality of the coaching plays an even much bigger part, But bith teams were outside the top 8 last year and their respective halves have played a large part in this. Even Reynolds had a blinder last night and played well last week and is starting to hit his straps although I don’t think the Broncos will make the 8 as I don’t rate the coaching team.

So for every example put forward there is always examples of other successful models. It is at this point of time we have gone down a path, which in the long term is the better way forward, but at this stage we are not in that position and put faith in a very inexperienced spine which are clearly not ready. A longer term view to moving to a model of development would have been the better approach as we are currently staring down a bottom 4 finish.

QLD Cup

Our form didn't warrant me watching this game. The writing was on the wall for a big loss. The dogs have much more potential than us so a Titans wooden spoon is a real possibility. As already stated the team went into the season with too many unknowns and none of them are coming up trumps. The best we can hope for is some improvements to get our hopes up for next year.......

Even the Tigers are scrapping for wins now. We are absolutely pathetic.

Absolutely Putrid.

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    Do you really think a few team changes will fix this mess? Honestly, I think we're done. And I'm done.
    Has the for the Tigers

- - - Updated - - -

I feel like we’ve had a halfs curse since the backflip.