Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    First Grader

AJ used Fifita really well right before Tino’s try last week. Got the ball out the back on the right side of the field and then gave Fifita a short ball while he was running an overs line. Put him into open space and if it wasn’t for 3 Raiders making a cover tackle he would’ve scored. Don’t know why there was none of that last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Erin Clark the unsung hero in that final play, he's the one who chased hard and put the shot on their 6 to force the fumble
    Yes fair comment and I also think we haven't given enough consideration to the desperation shown by the Tigpies in their spoiling defence ... that loss will be hard to recover from.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

What are people's thoughts on Holbrook's comments after the game?

Dominique Loudon
    @dloudon9
    Listening back to Justin Holbrook's post match press conference. I think he was watching a different game.

"I couldn't be happier or prouder of the boys tonight. I'm really happy to come away with that win."

Say what!?

I am still mystified about his “Lisone brings impact” call.
    Watching the Panthers-South’s game, there is no way we get within 30 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    What are people's thoughts on Holbrook's comments after the game?
    What id want my coach to say if I just busted my balls for 80 minutes to win in the last minute after a 5 day turnaround, disrupted week of prep and losing some of the best players to Covid, the week after an embarrassing loss. It’s dead obvious we weren’t good but his priority is keeping confidence within his own squad.

Surprised to see Dom tweet that to be honest.

edit - have just looked up the actual tweet and seems most of the responses share the above sentiment. Lets not overthink it.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 01-04-22 at 09:56 PM.

It's one thing to say you are happy and proud of the boys. But Holbrook absolutely said that he couldn't be happier or prouder. There is a way to communicate without throwing the team under the bus. But that comment doesn't sit well with most who watched the game. The team overcame a lot and we were lucky. But words need to have meaning.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Gold Coast Titans v Wests Tigers | Match Highlights | Round 4, 2022 | NRL
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R5N5X9thxkM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    It's one thing to say you are happy and proud of the boys. But Holbrook absolutely said that he couldn't be happier or prouder. There is a way to communicate without throwing the team under the bus. But that comment doesn't sit well with most who watched the game. The team overcame a lot and we were lucky. But words need to have meaning.
    You genuinely took that as Holbrook literally couldn't be happier or prouder as in he literally does not have the capacity to be happier or prouder?

Did you watch the entire press conference? Where he also said we need to be better?

First Grader

Looking at the Panthers and Sharks defence tonight is that they suffocate the attack with speed off the line. The difference and effectiveness to the Titans outdated defensive structure could not be more starker

We all have I think commented on the almost ridiculous defensive capacities of the team over the years. I am one of those and each week I temper my frustration with the reflection that when we are losing we blame the defense because losing by the nature of the game obviously means our defense is worse than the opposition … but gee, terrible line speed win, lose or draw year after year, coach after coach, squad after squad poses questions I can’t even begin to answer.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Yes fair comment and I also think we haven't given enough consideration to the desperation shown by the Tigpies in their spoiling defence ... that loss will be hard to recover from.
    Love this 'tigpies'. Magpies were the very first team I supported before they amalgamated. Couldn't bring myself to support them when they amalgamated and we're wearing orange.

We all have I think commented on the almost ridiculous defensive capacities of the team over the years. I am one of those and each week I temper my frustration with the reflection that when we are losing we blame the defense because losing by the nature of the game obviously means our defense is worse than the opposition … but gee, terrible line speed win, lose or draw year after year, coach after coach, squad after squad poses questions I can’t even begin to answer.
    This is exactly how I feel. There's something inherently wrong at the club with the mentality and approach to the game.

First Grader

I did my Level 3 Course eons ago (2000) and the defensive strategy taught back then is the same defensive structure used by the Titans. The theory was that it conserved energy. Whilst that is true to some extent it didn’t take into account the fact that more energy is required to be expended trying to bash your way out of your own 20 as a result of the better field position the opposition gains by your team having a passive defence.

With the players much fitter now days, it time the coaching staff get with the times and implement the modern day defensive structures which all of the leading teams have adopted.

I don’t really buy that our coaches are so out of touch they’re using defensive strategy from 20 years ago. The teams Jimmy previously coached didn’t defend like that either. Is it that they aren’t coaching some things properly? Is it that the playing group aren’t executing well? Conditioning? A combination of some of these? I honestly don’t know exactly.

But don’t believe this passive no-line-speed thing is coached and is structural. And that’s from consulting people who are well credentialed and close to the team. Like any team, they’re coached with the intention to have line speed and be efficient in the tackle (which is a whole other discussion) as key KPI’s. That’s bread and butter of U18s let alone NRL. But it’s obviously not happening on the field - so maybe the coaching methodology is off, or perhaps they’re not conditioned well enough, or perhaps the players simply aren’t executing as a unit. Whatever it is it doesn’t change the fact it needs to be fixed but I really don’t think it’s intentional from the coaching staff.