Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The whole competition seems to have lifted a notch this year in competitiveness ... this is a winnable but danger game. They were well below par last weekend and I can't imagine them at home repeating that especially with the additions they will have. Papali is aimed right at our weakest spot. Titans x 2
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Rep Player

I don't understand the Raiders playing Whitehead at lock. He's one of the best second rowers in the comp and now stepping up as captain in the absence of Croker/Hodgson. Surely they would want him playing 80 at second row.

Huge test for Sexton fermour and Herbert defending wighton on the edge. If we shut him down and complete our sets we should definitely win this one if we wanna be a top 8 side with a few bottom 8 teams from last year showing signs of improvement

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by GCTTSD View Post
    Huge test for Sexton fermour and Herbert defending wighton on the edge. If we shut him down and complete our sets we should definitely win this one if we wanna be a top 8 side with a few bottom 8 teams from last year showing signs of improvement
    Fermor defends on the other side with AJ, Kelly and Sami. It will be Fifita, Sexton, Herbert, Marzhew on that side.

First Grader

Which is our side that the Eels and to an extent the Warriors targeted all game lol. They did look better last week, although obviously Warriors aren't as dangerous as the Eels. Hopefully they keep gelling and improving.

JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

AJ injection ignites left side fireworks
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/...ide-fireworks/

AJ Brimson's return to the Titans at the weekend helped light a spark on the left edge in the 20-18 win against the Warriors, with the repositioned playmaker's influence felt in only the third tackle of the game.

Fans would've been in a spot of bother if they arrived to Cbus Super Stadium a few moments after kick-off, likely missing the first try which was the result of a slick Brimson break, down in Gold Coast territory, before linking up with rising enforcer Beau Fermor to score in the opening minute.

Coach Justin Holbrook hadn't even properly settled into the coach's box before the points-scoring party began.

"I thought he was terrific. He came up with some big plays... one right at the start of the game and the one in the second half that was a difference in the game," Holbrook said.

"I think he's going to be fantastic for our side at five-eighth and his combinations will get better and better with Toby (Sexton) and Jayden Campbell as the weeks go on.

"I'm really happy with AJ in particular, first up in those conditions."

To general pundits of the game who were none the wiser that it was the Origin's first official game as the full-time No. 6, it looked as if he had played there his entire career, and the dainty combination with Fermor and outside backs Brian Kelly and Phillip Sami helped pile on two of the Titans' four tries of the afternoon.

The success of 23-year-old Fermor, who has begun the year as a starter on the edge, has pleased the Titans head coach who has relished his evolvement over the pre-season.

"He's developing into a great young player and I think the back end of last year, he got everybody's attention by showing how good a player he can be," Holbrook said.

"He's another guy that's working hard on his game and improving his skill level and he's got plenty of speed as he showed in that first try on the weekend.

"He's a very coachable young player that's got all the attributes you want in a person.

"We're getting some real good combinations, in particular now with AJ, but that left edge is really solid and we'll keep working with the right to put us in a good spot."

Whilst opposition teams might fear the left edge, on the right is the Titans' marquee man David Fifita, who fans know all too well what damage he can do on the footy field.

As his combination slowly begins to gel with new half Toby Sexton, which will allow the Maroons enforcer to get his hands on more footy, he'll be the key to the Titans' one, two punch on both sides of the field.

"We've got to get his combination with Toby going better. I think they ran into each other once out there, but that'll come," Holbrook said.

"The important thing is early in the year is if you can get the wins together and then the combinations will improve. That's what we want to work on, but the more involved we can get him, the better side we're going to be.

"We just want him to be hard running back-rower for us.

"We've got AJ who helped setup a couple of tries, Toby's a great organiser and Jayden... we've got enough strike that we don't want to rely on him, but the more involved we can get him, the better.

Not just a hulking metre-eating forward, Fifita is also quite the handy ball-player, as seen in his pinpoint tip-on to Greg Marzhew for the Titans' third try on Saturday afternoon.

"I'm pleased he threw [the pass]. He's worked hard and that's what we're working hard on with him... his skill level, and he so skilful for a big guy and everyone just wants him to run," Holbrook said.

"I thought he was a bit gun shy in Round 1 where he did just tuck it under the arm and the outside defenders came rushing in.

"That was a great pass to Greg Marzhew and the more he can do that, then the more the opposition can't come and gang up on him and he can have a bit more joy with his carries as well."

Rolling up the sleeves and finishing off plays spectacularly on the right is the 24-year-old flyer, who has been given his opportunity through the injury to Corey Thompson.

Scoring two tries and running for 222 metres against the Warriors, the 10-game powerhouse really flexed his muscle in Round 2, which will give Holbrook quite the selection headache when both Thompson and new recruit Jamayne Isaako are ready to return.

"He'd have to be one of the strongest in the NRL, the way he carries the ball. That's what we want him to bring," Holbrook said.

"Everyone's got strengths and weaknesses and his strength is the absolute barnstorming carries. He's working really hard on his defence and I don't think he was to blame a lot for Round 1.

"There was a lot of recklessness from other guys but we settled it and got it right for the majority of Round 2, which was excellent and we've got to keep getting that better."

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Jolliffe welcomes cooler change for Canberra challenge
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/...rra-challenge/

As a proud Wagga Wagga boy playing all his junior footy in New South Wales, Saturday's steamy conditions at Cbus Super Stadium was foreign territory for Jaimin Jolliffe.

Although enduring the balmy Autumn sun the Gold Coast had to offer for the 2pm kick-off, fans wouldn't have noticed a dip in performance from the 25-year-old powerhouse off the pine, getting through plenty of work in a solid 39 minute stint in his second game of the season.

This included 27 tackles, 105 running metres and an incredible try-saving effort that prevented Chanel Harris-Tevita from scoring in a pivotal moment of the 20-18 victory.

"It was obviously pretty hot out there and tough conditions, but I thought the boys dug in well," Jolliffe said.

"We were all there for each other, but it was a bit sloppy at times. We made it hard for ourselves, but we got there in the end and were happy to do it in front of our home fans."

Preventing the Warriors from crossing the chalk in the final 40 minutes - the second week in a row the side has held out their goal-line after the same was seen against Parramatta in week one - the interchange prop wants to build on the positives shown to continually improve as the season progresses.

"There's never the perfect game and we're always looking to get better, so we look at everything," Jolliffe said, speaking after completing the team's weekly review session.

"We try and break it down and see what we can do better. I think that's where we see all our improvement from, looking what you're doing wrong and trying to fix it.

"We did get early points there but we let them back in and made it tough for ourselves at times, but the effort was there and you can always build on that.

"If you don't have any effort, then you don't have a base.

"We obviously have a lot of polishing to do, but I thought the effort shown was a big thing as well as working hard for each other.

"The other things, like in attack and being a bit more tidy and fluid will come soon enough."

Although the side is accustomed to the warm mid-afternoon conditions due to training in such heat and humidity almost everyday - especially in the pre-season, they'll enjoy the cool change GIO Stadium in Canberra will offer when they face off against the Raiders on Saturday night.

"We're lucky enough to get to train in these conditions, so we're probably are suited to it. We're always ready for that time of game, but it'll be good to go down there and it be a bit cooler," Jolliffe said.

"I think it'll be a faster game and everyone will be feeling a bit better for it.

"They'd be pretty disappointed with [last week's game against the Cowboys] and I think especially at their home ground, they’ll be looking to come out and really fix up what they did wrong, so we won't take them lightly.

"We'll look at what they did in that game against the Cowboys, but we know there'll be a different team, for sure."

The 43-game forward also relished the return of AJ Brimson to the side, enjoying his switch to the halves.

"He's just got that X-Factor. He can create something out of nothing and he's a real leader on the field," Jolliffe said.

"We've got a young spine and he's probably the most experienced in it, so when he gets out there, he just leads you around and he's very vocal.

"You never feel lost out there, so it was really good to have him back."

Banned

Where is Corey Thompson

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by coreythompson View Post
    Where is Corey Thompson
    I love the way Corey plays and hope he is back soon, but how is Cory Thompsons general health. He is getting on. Is Isaako insurance? Just asking.

Proctor inspired to celebrate Māori heritage in Raiders bout
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/...-raiders-bout/

Kevin Proctor had an absolute field day the last time he faced off against the Raiders, and ahead of the Titans' Round 3 clash against the green machine, the veteran forward has some added motivation to bring home the two points.

The Kiwi International crossed the line twice in spectacular fashion when in Canberra just under 12 months ago, helping the Gold Coast notch up a record 44-6 win in the nation's capital.

As the NRL celebrates the inaugural Multicultural Round across both the NRL and NRLW competitions, the 277-game enforcer is hoping for similar success whilst representing his proud Māori heritage.

"I'm a proud Māori man from Te Kuiti, New Zealand... Ngā Puhi is my tribe," Proctor said.

"It's awesome from the NRL to acknowledge all the different cultures in the NRL because there's quite a few proud cultures there.

"They've done a really good job and I'm looking forward to representing my culture this weekend."

Playing a new role for the Titans this season - offering a versatile middle and edge forward option off the bench for coach Justin Holbrook - the 33-year-old has enjoyed the change, but naturally wants to continue working hard to get back into a starting jersey at some stage this season.

"It's been a pretty exciting start to the year. I suppose I've got a different role this year, but it's been good. I've been enjoying it and it's been keeping my legs a bit fresher," Proctor said.

"Hopefully I can slide back into [the starting side], but it is what it is.

"Everyone just has to do their job and as long as I'm doing my job, we've all got the same goal at the end of the year to hopefully reach the final and lift the trophy like every other team does, so it doesn't really change my mindset.

"We're working well as a unit this year and hopefully we can keep that going against the Raiders."

Despite putting a record number of points on the Raiders the last time the two teams met, the experienced edge forward is weary the home side will be motivated to run out with a vengeance after a strong start to the season at GIO Stadium before last weekend's disappointing trip to North Queensland.

"They're always tough to beat down there in Canberra. The crowd give them an extra lift with the Viking Clap and they love playing down there as well," Proctor said.

"They had a good win over Cronulla in the first round and everyone saw the Sharks do a job on St George last night, so it's going to be a tough game.

"But we're ready to go to war."

The Gold Coast's opponents are set to welcome back some big names for the clash, such as Nick Cotric and Kiwi teammate Jordan Rapana - to which Proctor has given a word of warning to.

"I've be speaking to Jordan every day as he's a really good mate of mine. I just told him not to run on my side of the field," Proctor joked.

"But he's really keen to get in there after being suspended from All Stars match.

"He's really looking forward to it and reckons the team's up and about, so we need to bring our A game."

Captains Run Gallery: NRL Round 3
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/...y-nrl-round-3/

Raiders v Titans: Schneider takes reins again; Same 17 for Holbrook
    https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/22/...-for-holbrook/

The Raiders will want to move on quickly from a below-par performance in Townsville which took some of the gloss off a courageous first-up win over the Sharks.

Ricky Stuart's men had just 44 per cent of the ball against the Cowboys and completed at just 56 per cent, giving themselves virtually no hope of coming away with a win.

The Titans are 1-1 on the back of a narrow loss to Parramatta and a narrow win over the Warriors, both games showcasing their attacking flair and defensive frailties in equal portions.

With AJ Brimson looking right at home in the No.6 and Toby Sexton more composed each week in the No.7 they'll head to GIO Stadium confident of emulating their 44-6 triumph in round 16 last year when 11 of their 17 players ran for more than 100 metres.

The Rundown

Team news
    Raiders: Nick Cotric (quad) dropped out of the squad on Friday and his place is taken by Seb Kris. Experienced outside back Jordan Rapana (suspension) returns on the wing with James Schiller dropping out.

Brad Schneider (COVID protocols) is back in the No.7 so Matt Frawley goes to the bench and Adrian Trevilyan to the reserves.

Titans: Coach Justin Holbrook has gone with the same 17 which got the job done against the Warriors in round two.

New signing Jamayne Isaako was listed among the reserves on Tuesday after making the immdediate switch from the Broncos but he was omitted on Friday when the squad was cut to 19.

Key match-up
    Jack Wighton v AJ Brimson: It took Brimson less than a minute to stamp his authority on the Titans' round two clash with the Warriors, busting the defence and sending Beau Fermor away for the opening try. Brimson last played five-eighth in 2019 but gives every indication he has the finesse and flair to be a huge success in the No.6. Wighton is Canberra's go-to man when they need a spark and the 2020 Dally M Medal winner rarely lets his team down, as evidenced by his eight tackle breaks in a losing cause against the Cowboys.

Stat attack
    The Titans have come up with 10 line breaks in the opening two rounds compared to just five for the Raiders. Wingers Phil Sami and Greg Marzhew have been a constant threat in attack and posted two line breaks each. Between them Sami and Marzhew ran for a whopping 431 metres against the Warriors.

I'm not confident today. Canberra will be hard to beat at home. Positives are that it will be considerably cooler than our previous 2 games. The last two games we have been playing pretty consistent footy, hopefully we show up again.