Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Pre-Season

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    With the upcoming trial game v Broncos next weekend (Saturday 19th), who are we hoping gets a run? I imagine it'll be a pretty youthful side with some experienced middles to give guys some match fitness and hopefully stay competitive
    I would imagine jojo Fifita, maybe weaver, there’s that fast winger, not sure on his name, Paul turner, maybe booth.. probably a lot of players that won’t be in the round 1 team..

I think the broncos trial will see a lot of the inexperienced guys get some game time under their belt, a lot of chopping and changing

First Grader

About a week ago Titans.com said in an article about the trial game “ Rumour has it both JC and Toby will be in action against the Broncos.” Who knows how accurate that is but it would be good to see if they both play.

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/...s-local-derby/

Going to be interesting to see how Erin Clark goes in the all stars this weekend. In a decent team aswell he's got no excuses. Hopefully he goes well and proves us all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by NSW Titan View Post
    Going to be interesting to see how Erin Clark goes in the all stars this weekend. In a decent team aswell he's got no excuses. Hopefully he goes well and proves us all wrong.
    looking forward to seeing all our boys go round for sure

I won't be judging them too much based on an expedition match where they have like 3 training sessions, and I don't think the side is that decent either - the Titans starting 13 is probably better. Really just hoping they get some match fitness out of it and come away injury free.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hangingon View Post
    About a week ago Titans.com said in an article about the trial game “ Rumour has it both JC and Toby will be in action against the Broncos.” Who knows how accurate that is but it would be good to see if they both play.

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/...s-local-derby/
    Good pickup mate, I didn't think either of them would be playing tbh. Unless they're trolling us and they're going to be in action as waterboys or something

“Injury free” is the only piece that matters for me … understand the necessity but nervously watch this game every year
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Toby Sexton ready to handle pressure in halfback hot seat at Gold Coast Titans
    https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...1e265162cf64f7

Toby Sexton has been entrusted with leading the Titans to back-to-back finals appearances and insists he won’t crumble under the pressure.

Titans young gun Toby Sexton has declared he is ready for the rigours of being a full-time NRL playmaker after stepping into the Gold Coast’s halfback hot seat.

Sexton will pull on the Titans No.7 jersey this year after coach Justin Holbrook threw his support behind the schoolboys sensation, prompting former co-captain Jamal Fogarty to walk out on the club to Canberra.

The Titans view Sexton as a decade-long halfback and signed him to one of the richest rookie deals in NRL history before he had made his first grade debut.

At 20, Sexton has only made four NRL appearances but will be entrusted with guiding the Titans as they chase back-to-back finals appearances this year for the first time since 2009-10.

Sexton said he wasn’t fazed by the challenge ahead of him and he was ready to become a permanent fixture in the NRL.

“I’ve done as much as I can in pre-season to prepare myself for the season ahead,” he said.

“I’ve put on 3kg and physically feel a lot better and ready for it. It’s up to my footy now.

“I’m really excited, it’s been a long pre-season and I’ve put in a lot of work. I’ve made some good headway in my game.

“As an individual and a team we’re a lot further ahead than last year. It’s just about playing footy now. The coaching staff have put a lot of confidence in me and I use that as a strength as opposed to thinking if I don’t perform I won’t be playing.

“It’s only a good thing. I’ve just got to do my job in the team and hopefully that goes a long way to getting the results we want.”

A graduate of Palm Beach Currumbin High School, Sexton was contracted to the Canterbury Bulldogs before an administration error opened the door for the Titans to pounce.

In the lead-up to making his NRL debut last season, the Titans extended Sexton’s contract until 2024 on a deal worth close to $500,000 annually in its latter years.

The Titans’ investment in Sexton prompted Fogarty to seek a release for the Raiders, where he will be Canberra’s starting halfback this year.

Sexton said he wasn’t bothered by Fogarty’s departure and being dropped after four games last year in the run to the finals had made him stronger.

“I’m not too worried about that, he left on good terms and I wish him the best of luck in his future at the Raiders,” he said.

“I’m here at the moment so I’ve just got to focus on that.

“I took it (being dropped) in a positive way, Justin was looking out for my best interests.

“We had a tough run home with the Storm and that and it could have gone either way. He was looking out for me.

“I got a taste of NRL which was really good. I’m confident now.”

Sexton will start at halfback in the Gold Coast’s first trial match against the Broncos at Cbus Super Stadium next Saturday night.

Five-eighth AJ Brimson is expected to be rested in preparation for the following weekend’s final trial against the Warriors at Redcliffe, with Paul Turner or Will Smith to start at six.

Sexton said the Titans had urged him to be more dominant on the field and he was ready to step up when they kick off their 2022 NRL premiership campaign against the Eels on March 13.

“We do a lot of things as a group and about our culture and a big thing was me talking more,” he said. “I’m definitely taking a lot of confidence from that.

“Being a halfback you have to be a good communicator. That’s one of my biggest attributes so if I can do that I’m definitely contributing to the team in a positive way.”
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Lisone keen to lock down impact role
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/...n-impact-role/

Anticipation is building for who will don Gold Coast colours at Cbus Super Stadium next Saturday as footy kicks off for the first time in 2022.

With whispers out of Titans HQ suggesting there will be a stack of big names lining up, Sam Lisone has hinted a majority of the forward pack is likely to play a role in the first 80 minutes of the season, as the 119-game front rower looks to lock down his all-important impact role off the bench again this year.

"Yeah, I'm really looking forward to going up against the Broncos," Lisone said.

"It’s our first hit-out for the club and hopefully we can start it off with a bang. I’m pretty confident.

"I'm just really excited about playing some footy.

"I think Justin likes to play all our middles two games. You have to get two hit-outs, so we’re looking to field a pretty solid team.

"It’s going to be good… I can’t wait."

Losing seven kilograms in the off-season, the hot and humid Queensland conditions has helped the barnstorming prop trim down for the new year ahead.

"It’s been really hot here and we’ve been running more kilometres than last year.

"We're just trying to get more kilometres in the legs and get our team a bit fitter, which will help us for the season ahead."

It has also been unique pre-season for Lisone, motivated by his partner and fellow Titans NRLW star Georgia Hale who is also preparing for the upcoming season.

"We don’t really talk about it at home, but it’s pretty cool to see her come to our workplace and I’m pretty happy for her.

"She plays a game before us (Saturday, March 19 at Cbus Super Stadium) and it’ll be pretty special for us."

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

First Grader

With Sexton and Weaver locked up long term,what are peoples thoughts on the long term half back position for the Titans. From limited observations, I do think that Weaver has a better overall skill set but my observations are really limited. Be good to hear MDrew and HS views

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    With Sexton and Weaver locked up long term,what are peoples thoughts on the long term half back position for the Titans. From limited observations, I do think that Weaver has a better overall skill set but my observations are really limited. Be good to hear MDrew and HS views
    Yeah it's a very good question WD and both are pure 7's so something will have to give eventually.

In my opinion, Weaver at 18 is better than Sexton was at the same age. Plays faster, has a bit more variation to his attacking game. Both similar defensively at that age. Both kick well long/short. Both goal kick well.

But the thing that surprised me with Sexton is how he influenced a team more as he progressed up the grades. Completely unphased by better opposition, faster pace, bigger bodies or pressure. At HDC he was more dominant than he was in MM, and then at Qcup he was even better again. Then he played NRL and fitted right in. He's never going to be a half that cuts teams to bits with fancy highlight plays but the intangible influence he has on a side with getting them to spots, kicking, decision making, controlling tempo and pressure, and getting the most out of players around him, is pretty elite for someone who is only 20 years old.

Weaver has only played school footy and MM Cup, although I anticipate the Titans will try to fast-track him straight to Qcup this year. He's a smaller body than Sexton so it's yet to be seen how that influences his ability to defend against men, and until he does play Qcup it is tough to know how well his skill set will translate at that level.

I think it is too difficult to say who the best long term prospect is at this stage because Weaver hasn't played a high enough level of footy yet to make a fair comparison. I'd say Weaver possibly has a higher ceiling. But I've also seen dozens of star junior halfbacks, in NRL systems, not be able to crack it in the NRL. Halfback would be one of the lowest converting positions from junior star to regular NRL player, no matter how good the scouting or environment.

To summarise - Weaver better junior. Sexton still a star junior who's continual improvement has been enormous and his game transitioned to Qcup and NRL easier than most. Weaver is 18 and Sexton is 20 so both still have a heap of improvement in them as well. I'll sit on the fence for now.

All my opinion of course.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 10-02-22 at 10:28 AM.

First Grader

Thanks HS for your great insights. I suppose the eventual winner of the battle will be the Titans with 2 elite halves battling it out.

I have been watching Toby Sexton for a few years now. The last two years he has improved out of sight. The steps from Junior and underage football to Q Cup and then NRL are massive.
    These steps are where 90% of promising junior footballers falter and fail to get to the Elite Level.
    I am pretty sure that Justin Holbrook and the team knew that Toby was ready last year, and still gave him just a small taste of first grade.
    His debut match was probably his best and the four games he played in the season were probably a good indication of what we can expect.
    The wraps on Tom Weaver have been even bigger, and through his junior form probably deserved. My guess is that he is also going to make it. He has been elevated by Holbrook and i would expect he may get a late season debut this year.
    Exciting times for Titans as some teams don't have one good halfback.

If Weaver gets the better of Sexton then I be happy for him to take the 7 spot I also think AJ has his hands full with P Turner very exciting young 5/8 with a good running game and can defend very well only from what I have seen
    Our half over next few years are great so are the fb spot and so is our centre and wing with the young players coming up
    I just think our biggest spot we are in trouble is hooker have been for year I hope for my sake and everyone sake that Clark this year stand up
    I also think we need a good utility player in the side to cover most spots that where I rate AJ as a very high end utility player has the ability to break a game open when he with the ball but would be more dangerous when other team are tired
    But at 6 I think h will be to tired most of the time

'It’s a good opportunity to test ourselves' - Sexton
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/...lves---sexton/
    Titans halfback Toby Sexton is a confirmed starter for the upcoming trial against the Broncos and spoke to Gold Coast media about his excitement to play footy again.

No pressure: Sexton thriving No. 7 chance as a confirmed starter for Broncos trial
    https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/...broncos-trial/

Gold Coast young gun Toby Sexton is eagerly counting down the days to the Titans' first trial match against the Brisbane Broncos next Saturday.

Being entrusted with the keys to the side for the upcoming season after being given a taste test of NRL last year, it doesn't take much of an imagination to understand how pumped the 20-year-old is to get his first crack at being the club's first-choice halfback.

"I’m really excited to be honest. It’s been a long pre-season and I’ve put in a lot of work and feel I’ve made some good headways in my game," the young playmaker said.

"I think individually and as a team, we’re a lot further ahead than what we were last year and I think it’s all about playing footy now.

"It’s a good opportunity to test ourselves against what will be a pretty good Brisbane side I think.

"We’ve got a lot of our boys playing... a lot of our middles are playing, so it’ll be a good opportunity to see where we’re at."

With coach Justin Holbrook still undecided on whether or not he'll unleash the fully fledged quartet to steer the youthful Titans around in the first hit-out of 2022, he has given the nod to the spine's two youngest members - Sexton and fullback Jayden Campbell - to put their pre-season preparation to the test at Cbus Super Stadium come Saturday week.

"I think JC and I will only play around 30-40 minutes," Sexton confirmed.

"It’ll be a good opportunity to get a few cobwebs out and I think we’ll be playing nearly the full 80 in the Warriors trial the week after, so it’ll be a good opportunity to stretch the legs and get back into footy."

Should AJ Brimson spend the extra week to prepare for what is expected to be a full-strength clash in Redcliffe on February 26, Sexton is keen to combine with a number of the squad's other young playmakers who'll get their opportunity to impress Holbrook, who is entering his third year on the Coast.

"We’ve got a few opportunities with Paul Turner and Will Smith there, so I think both of them are good options and I think whoever plays there will do a good job," Sexton said.

"They're both very skilful players and have a lot of similar attributes that AJ possesses.

"They play off the cuff, so I think either option is going to be a good one."

With Jamal Fogarty opting to take up an opportunity at the Raiders in the off-season, there has been speculated external pressures on the Currumbin Eagles junior to follow in his predecessor's footsteps, but the four-game rookie has in fact thrived on the responsibility of being the side's chief playmaker.

"I’m not too worried about [the pressure]. We all left on good terms and I wish [Jamal] the best of luck in his future at the Raiders," Sexton said.

"I’m here at the moment and I’ve just got to focus on that.

"The coaching staff have put a lot of confidence in me and I use that as a strength, not necessarily as a thing where if I don’t perform, I won’t be playing.

"It’s only a good thing and all I have to do now is my job for the team and hopefully that goes a long way to the results we want."

The trust from Holbrook to be the Gold Coast's key lynchpin has empowered Sexton to grow as a leader during the recent pre-season, notably increasing his communication around sessions at Parkwood.

"We do a lot of things as a group about our culture and a big thing was me talking more and I definitely take a lot of confidence from that," Sexton said.

"Being a halfback, you have to be a good communicator and I know that’s one of my biggest attributes in myself.

"If I can do that, I’m definitely contributing to the team in a positive way and I think that’s my role in the team.

"If you look at the likes of AJ and JC, they’re both very natural footy players but not massive communicators. I think if they’re going to go well, I need to be the main communicator and get the side around the park.

"If I can do that, I feel I’m contributing to the team in a positive way."

The new Titans half isn't going to be the only youngster running around the NRL with the No. 7 on his back in 2022. The Roosters are set to amp up 19-year-old Sam Walker's involvement - a former teammate of Sexton's - and the Palm Beach Currumbin alumni feels youth is how success in the game is evolving.

"I played junior footy with Sam… I think it was under 6s with him at Burleigh back when we were young fellas. We linked up for the Australia Schoolboys and he’s a freak of a player. I loved playing with him," Sexton said.

"I think the game has turned into a young man’s game in a way.

"The speed of the game and the way it’s adapting, I think a lot of young people coming through are having a lot of success and I’m hoping to replicate that."

All will be put to the test in the Gold Coast's first outing up against the Broncos on Saturday, February 19, and Sexton is hoping see the Legion in full force for the club's first game of the year.

"It’s a great way to start the year off with the local derby against the Broncs. They’re hopefully going to field a good team," Sexton said.

"The way we ended last year, this club and the whole city has a lot to look forward to this year and we want to start off with a bang against the Broncos.

"I’m hoping to see as many people as possible come and watch us because it’s going to be a great match and we’re really looking forward to it as a team."