Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Pre-Season

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    I'm worried about an untested and unknown spine.
    Yeah, I think this is reasonable and we may see some teething issues early in the season.

Personally I'm not too worried when compared to last years spine that somehow managed to put some decent footy together. Sexton was better than Fogarty after 4 NRL games and now has a full pre-season at 7, Ash was Ash and so long as AJ makes his tackles, runs and ball plays at a very basic level he will be an improvement, 2022 JC with some NRL under his belt, a full off-season at 1 will be a big improvement on 2021 JC. Hooker is what it is, but we're not regressing in that area with the same playing group + Smith.

It's not elite by any means but I don't think we'll be going backwards. Lack of NRL games comes with the concern of inexperience but it also comes with the promise of plenty of improvement still to come in these guys as players and as a group.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 14-01-22 at 06:54 AM.

Has AJ got a kicking game? At least our defence will be the better for him

Happy to have JC with his "play what's in front of you attack"

Sexton will only improve

Who knows who the dummy half is so time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Has AJ got a kicking game? At least our defence will be the better for him

Happy to have JC with his "play what's in front of you attack"

Sexton will only improve

Who knows who the dummy half is so time will tell
    AJ has a decent short/attacking kicking game which is usually enough for a 6 these days I think. JC also took some of the kicking duties when in attacking field position.

The one thing AJ always did do well in the halves was play front-foot to his lead runner so we should see Fermor getting some qucik ball

We will finally have a half who poses a genuine running threat. I remember both AJ and JC early on scoring some brilliant trys from little grubber kicks in behind and using their speed hope to see them do more of that together

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Yeah, I think this is reasonable and we may see some teething issues early in the season.

Personally I'm not too worried when compared to last years spine that somehow managed to put some decent footy together. Sexton was better than Fogarty after 4 NRL games and now has a full pre-season at 7, Ash was Ash and so long as AJ makes his tackles, runs and ball plays at a very basic level he will be an improvement, 2022 JC with some NRL under his belt, a full off-season at 1 will be a big improvement on 2021 JC. Hooker is what it is, but we're not regressing in that area with the same playing group + Smith.

It's not elite by any means but I don't think we'll be going backwards. Lack of NRL games comes with the concern of inexperience but it also comes with the promise of plenty of improvement still to come in these guys as players and as a group.
    Great Post HS well said and agree totally, anything will be an improvement from last year with the spine

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GCTTSD View Post
    We will finally have a half who poses a genuine running threat. I remember both AJ and JC early on scoring some brilliant trys from little grubber kicks in behind and using their speed hope to see them do more of that together
    Yep is great to know we have a half who will take the line on and not frighten to use his fullback with a short kick to keep the opposition guessing, how good will it be to have a different kicking options long short medium than 5 tackles than a bomb

The unknown element of our spine is definitely a little concerning but I think its potential has a lot of upside.

What do people think about Sexton’s acceleration and speed being a potential liability in our defence? Watching Sexton in open space last season made it look like he was running in mud but maybe that was a result of his body not quite being conditioned for NRL standards yet. Don’t get me wrong he is a fantastic organising and old school half back it’s just something I noticed last year.

If they pair him next to KP you just know that the opposition will be sending sweep plays with with the fullback and 5/8 coming at them two all year ( like they did to fogarty and KP )

First Grader

Sexton needs to work on his sprint training or he will be exposed

Sexton isn't fast by any stretch but he also looks a lot slower and more unco than he is just because of how he strides out. I think most defensive systems these days sort of cover for slow 7's defending at 3 or 4 man but it's short side defensive efforts where he can't get back quick enough and turn that he's going to have to be better at. Hopefully comes with time and experience.

Don't expect Proctor to be playing much NRL this year. Think he'll be at Burleigh round 1.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hungryjacks View Post
    If they pair him next to KP you just know that the opposition will be sending sweep plays with with the fullback and 5/8 coming at them two all year ( like they did to fogarty and KP )
    That's just decision making and trusting your system, Fogarty was notoriously bad whenever that sweeping player squared up on him and bounced. I swear I have PTSD from that game against Manly at CBUS
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 17-01-22 at 07:19 AM.

Saw this in another group and thought it was pretty funny.

Q: How many League of Titans members does it take to change light bulb ?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

6 to argue over whether it's 'lightbulb' or 'light bulb'.

Another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid.

22 to tell THOSE 6 to stop being jerks.

5 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is 'lamp'.

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that 'light bulb' is perfectly correct.

49 to post memes and gifs (several are of Michael Jackson eating popcorn with the words added, “I’m just here for the comments.”)

19 to post that this page is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a light bulb page.

11 to defend the posting to this page saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant here.

24 to discuss the merits of LED/swirly fluorescent light bulbs

44 to claim LED and fluorescent bulbs will kill you.

12 to post F.

8 to ask what F means.

7 to post 'Following' but there's 3 dots at the top right that means you don't have to.

15 to say "can't share"

2 to reply "can't share from a closed group"

36 People to post pics of their own light bulbs.

15 People to post "I can't see S$%^!" and use their own light bulbs.

6 to report the post or PM an admin because someone said "f÷×$"

4 to say "Didn't we go through this already a short time ago?".

13 to say "Do a search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".

5 admins to ban the light bulb posters who took it all too seriously.

1 late arrival to comment on the original post 6 months later and start it all over again.

20 to give up on fb and take their dogs for a walk instead.*****
    And then somebody announces they are leaving the group over the light bulb post, and someone replies back that this isn't an airport so you don't need to announce your departure.

Sounds like a standard game thread

@12 … thanks for sharing and for sure the author, while witty, has waaayyy too much time :-)
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Radio interview that Jwal did yesterday:

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/948736

Some promising comments about AJ & Toby Sexton. In particular AJ's efforts to upskill himself as a 5/8.

Thanks for sharing HS ... I have to admit to becoming a bit of a closet JWal fan ... he tells it as he sees it, always in the right tone to put the Club in the best light possible and we need that. Sure he has brain explosions and whatever but after standing-up to the Warriors last season I feel he's the right sort of bloke to have around the younger guys ... I temper that by hoping he limits his kicking game to the backyard.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.