Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Pre-Season

It'll be interesting cause in the NBA they can just sign old veterans out of the league to 10 day contracts, had one player Isiah Thomas play for LA one week and Dallas a couple weeks later, might see alot of rookies thrown in the deep end, don't think teams would want to loan players out if an outbreak happens

NRL: Gold Coast Titans axe 14 as 2022 squad begins to take shape

The Titans dropped 14 players from their pre-Christmas extended squad of 50, leaving 10 players to battle for the final two Top 30 roster positions and to fill the club’s four-man development squad.

Nic Darveniza

@NicDarveniza

8 min read

January 11, 2022 - 11:09AM

Gold Coast Bulletin

THE prospect of extended NRL squads in 2022 to combat the Covid-19 outbreak is keeping NRL dreams alive for dozens of Gold Coast Titans train-and-trialists cut over the Christmas break.

The Titans dropped 14 players from their pre-Christmas extended squad of 50, leaving nine players to battle for the final two Top 30 roster positions and to fill the club’s four-man development squad.

News understands hooker Aaron Booth and*centre Treymain Spry*are favourites to be promoted into the full-time squad and enter the frame for selection in round one.

Prop Isaac Matalavea-Booth, centre Tony Francis and halves*Tom Weaver*and Shallin Fuller are tipped to have the inside running to remain with the squad full-time through the course of 2022 as development players.

Eligibility for NRL selection arrives midway through the season for players under that designation.

Titans recruit Aaron Booth in 2020. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

A team source said the Titans would wait as long as possible to finalise the composition of the development squad to motivate other talented youngsters at the club to remain dedicated.

Front rowers Ben Liyou and*Iszac Fa’asuamaleaui, centre Klese Haas and fullback Jaylan de Groot scored invitations to train with the squad into the new year and they are the ones who could benefit most from growing pressure to widen open squad sizes to combat Covid-19.

The NRL is anxious to avoid the selection headaches*plaguing cricket’s T20 Big Bash League, particularly with the Brisbane Heat.

The Omicron variant has forced the Heat to pull players out of club cricket - including their second- and third-choice substitutes - to field a team.

If broadened wide enough, train-and-trialists from the pre-Christmas group could also be in line for against-the-odds NRL debuts this season.

Players from Gold Coast Schools Coombabah SHS, Keebra Park SHS and Palm Beach Currumbin SHS together for a Langer Cup preview. Jack Cullen. 27 May 2021 Burleigh Picture by Richard Gosling

Australian Schoolboys representatives Jack Cullen and Ryan Foran and dynamite young hooker Oskar Bryant were among the group of 14 players who returned to their clubs for the remainder of pre-season.

Others were forwards Braden Robson, Charlie Murray (Tweed Seagulls), William Samuel, Jordan Penquitt (Brisbane Tigers) and Jacob Alick (Souths Logan).

Backs released were Josh Rogers and Taine Tuaupiki (Burleigh) and Kaleb Ngamanu, Lee Turner and Caleb Hodges (Tweed).

GOLD COAST TITANS 2022 SQUAD (28/30)

Middles (8):*Moeaki Fotuaika, Jarrod Wallace, Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, Isaac Liu, Sam Lisone, Jaimin Jolliffe, Sam McIntyre,*Herman Ese’ese

Backrowers (4):*David Fifita, Kevin Proctor, Beau Fermor, Joe Vuna

Hookers (1):*Erin Clark

Halves (5):*AJ Brimson, Toby Sexton, Will Smith, Tanah Boyd, Paul Turner

Centres (4):*Brian Kelly, Patrick Herbert, Esan Marsters, Jojo Fifita

Wingers (4):*Corey Thompson, Phillip Sami, Greg Marzhew, Alofi Khan-Pereira

Fullback (1):*Jayden Campbell

Development Squad (10/4):*Aaron Booth, Treymain Spry, Tom Weaver, Shallin Fuller, Tony Francis, Isaac Matalavea-Booth, Iszac Fa’asuamaleaui, Jaylan de Groot, Klese Haas, Ben Liyou

Train and trial (released to clubs):*Jack Cullen, Ryan Foran, Oskar Bryant, Braden Robson, Charlie Murray, Kaleb Ngamanu, Lee Turner, Caleb Hodges (Tweed), Josh Rogers, Vaka Sikahele, Taine Tuaupiki (Burleigh), William Samuel, Jordan Penquitt (Brisbane Tigers), Jacob Alick (Souths Logan).

How does Darveniza get a gig reporting on rugby league, seriously.

"News understands hooker Aaron Booth and*centre Treymain Spry*are favourites to be promoted into the full-time squad and enter the frame for selection in round one."

Booth is on a dev contract and Spry is not contracted at all, yet. A Booth promotion means a dev spot opens up.

Prop Isaac Matalavea-Booth, centre Tony Francis and halves*Tom Weaver*and Shallin Fuller are tipped to have the inside running to remain with the squad full-time through the course of 2022 as development players.

Tony Francis, Tom Weaver, and Shallin Fuller should have the bloody inside running because they have already signed god damn NRL development contracts that mean they are automatically full-time through the course of 2022 and whatever future years this contract is for. This is publicly available information on the NRL website. If Booth gets promoted, that opens up one more dev spot. If not, they're full for 2022.

Nic hasn't seemed to grasp the difference between his "development squad" and NRL development contracted player. He also fails to mention that Isaac MB, Vaka Sikahele, Isazc Fa'asuamaleaui and Jaylan De Groot have all signed NRL development contracts for future years. Hence why it makes sense for them to be sticking around.

I'm sorry for the weekly rant but this bloke needs to be better.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 12-01-22 at 08:31 AM.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    How does Darveniza get a gig reporting on rugby league, seriously.

News understands hooker Aaron Booth and*centre Treymain Spry*are favourites to be promoted into the full-time squad and enter the frame for selection in round one."

Booth is on a dev contract and Spry is not contracted at all, yet. A Booth promotion means a dev spot opens up.

Tony Francis, Tom Weaver, and Shallin Fuller should have the bloody inside running because they have already signed god damn NRL development contracts that mean they are automatically full-time through the course of 2022 any whatever future years this contract is for. This is publicly available information on the NRL website. If Booth gets promoted, that opens up one more dev spot. If not, they're full for 2022.

Nic hasn't seemed to grasp the difference between his "development squad" and NRL development contracted player. He also fails to mention that Isaac MB, Vaka Sikahele, Isazc Fa'asuamaleaui and Jaylan De Groot have all signed NRL development contracts for future years. Hence why it makes sense for them to be sticking around.

I'm sorry for the weekly rant but this bloke needs to be better.
    I'd only give him the smallest benefit of the doubt since his a Union nut but his been covering Titans and GCRL for too long that he should know better.
    Agreeably it was very poorly phrased that I had to reread a few times to actually make sure what I was reading was correct...

Recent podcast with Beau Fermor. Posting mainly for JB

*Lanuage Warning*

Beau just walks and breathes like a solid footballer, one of my favourite Titans ever since his Debut.

Thanks for link mate.
    Last edited by hungryjacks; 12-01-22 at 01:26 PM.

Wow, quality interviewer. I thought I swore a lot....

Fittest Titan is amazing. Thanks HS

Pretty good PodCast. Pity about the swearing because both those lads had a lot of quality about them, the questions were to the point and the interaction entertaining. JB's boy would have won himself a lot of fans, pity they didn't sneak in a song, lol.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2022/...t-no-9-jersey/

There is plenty of intrigue surrounding the dummy-half position at the Gold Coast Titans this season.

The club has been blessed with countless contenders who have been impressing over the break; from notable incumbent Erin Clark to new recruit Aaron Booth... the opportunities are endless for coach Justin Holbrook.

A third option also being considered is for young Tanah Boyd to take the reins with the No. 9 on his back, showing plenty of promising glimpses of his ability at hooker in his early days as a utility off the bench.

"That’s the goal," the 21-year-old said, who recently re-committed to the Titans until the end of 2024.

"I’ve been training hard and trying to transition into that role and doing my part and just trying to get better each day to cement a spot.

"I’ve had to put on a bit of weight and get used to the back-to-back efforts [training at hooker].

"There’s a lot more workload [in the new position], particularly with defence, but I’m liking it and really enjoying it and getting used to it.

"I've just got to keep going and keep getting better."

Playing a handful of games at five-eighth for the Titans early in 2021, the Keebra Park SHS alumni became a regular in the Hostplus Cup with Burleigh for the remainder of the season, continuing to develop as a player and become ready to push his case to be an NRL starter in this new season.

"Cup has been a really good level for me. I’ve learnt a lot going back and I just feel now like I’m ready for NRL," Boyd said.

"I now want to cement my spot and I feel like I’m ready to go."

"Playing Queensland Cup has really helped me develop and last year, I got a sniff at finals with the Bears.

"There’s just a good bunch of boys there at Burleigh that have helped me get ready for the challenges that NRL brings."

Getting back into the swing of things with pre-season training resuming, the Gold Coast junior said it's been a little different returning with the COVID disruptions, but that hasn't changed the vibe around the team.

"[Getting back to pre-season] has been good. Obviously, it's a bit weird at the moment, but we’re still ripping in and training has been good," Boyd said.

"We’re slowly getting numbers back, so we’ll be right and we’ve been making do with what players we have.

"It's important we do the little bits that we can and really keeping the skills up.

"Overall, it's been good and we’ve been sharp."

The Titans youngster is also looking forward to lining up against fellow rivals the Brisbane Broncos in the club's first trial match on Saturday, February 19 at Cbus Super Stadium and with tickets on sale soon exclusively to Legion members, Boyd can't wait to get back out there.

"I am really looking forward to it. It’s always a good trial up against the Broncs and I know a fair few of the boys there," Boyd said.

"It’ll be good and the boys are excited as well."

We need depth in all positions this year as we are going to see some isolated players throughout the year. So happy to have players that can play multiple positions (even though they aren't at star level).

Rep Player

Clark, Booth, Boyd and Smith can all play hooker. We have enough depth there.

Agree we have some depth but I would question the use of “endless choices” … just saying :-)
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Agree we have some depth but I would question the use of “endless choices” … just saying :-)
    Yeah but the Darveniza article says we only have one hooker. Bit misleading.

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Yeah but the Darveniza article says we only have one hooker. Bit misleading.
    Yes. Some poor journalism all round. I wonder how the internet and the falling of papers has affected the quality of journalistic training?
    But back to the footy. There are so many unknowns and players with lots of potential. Like every year we all get our hopes up and probably over rate our teams players but that's what makes the game great and the one team left at the end of the year will be the one that rose to the occasion. I'm excited doggone it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic Believer View Post
    Yes. Some poor journalism all round. I wonder how the internet and the falling of papers has affected the quality of journalistic training?
    But back to the footy. There are so many unknowns and players with lots of potential. Like every year we all get our hopes up and probably over rate our teams players but that's what makes the game great and the one team left at the end of the year will be the one that rose to the occasion. I'm excited doggone it!!!!
    I'm worried about an untested and unknown spine.