Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Pre-Season

I am really surprised to see Oskar and JDG get a run . Both sensational prospects,( Oh Bee is a crafty running 9). I figured they were both 2 years away yet.

I'd say they are still both a way off. Jaylan doesn't surprise me too much since he was invited back after Christmas to train with NRL and is locked into an NRL Development contract in the future. Oskar isn't yet and probably needs to improve physically and defensively to get there IMO. Great to see them get some experience in an NRL trial though and it's going to be cool with Tom, Jaylan & Oskar all getting to experience playing together in a Titans (NRL) jersey.

Rep Player

Not expecting much out of this trial considering the broncos are near full strength whereas we are all getting a good look at the future so hoping to see a few gems uncovered. FFS though dont tell me Marzhew being here means Sami is the starting winger....literally still cannot understand this unless its related to something non football wise

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Year Contract View Post
    Not expecting much out of this trial considering the broncos are near full strength whereas we are all getting a good look at the future so hoping to see a few gems uncovered. FFS though dont tell me Marzhew being here means Sami is the starting winger....literally still cannot understand this unless its related to something non football wise
    This will be an unpopular take but Sami is better defensively, positioning-wise, and communicates better under fatigue. Marzhew significantly better ball carrier, but Sami still gets through a lot of red zone work.

Now before I get called a Sami or coaching apologist, I'll say that I would still prefer Marzhew got the gig and learned on the run. But the narrative around Sami being absolutely awful isn't something I subscribe to. He's an ok player. High work rate, does little things well. Marzhew has a waaay higher ceiling. But I really don't think its that unreasonable that Sami is currently edging him as first choice winger.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    This will be an unpopular take but Sami is better defensively, positioning-wise, and communicates better under fatigue. Marzhew significantly better ball carrier, but Sami still gets through a lot of red zone work.

Now before I get called a Sami or coaching apologist, I'll say that I would still prefer Marzhew got the gig and learned on the run. But the narrative around Sami being absolutely awful isn't something I subscribe to. He's an ok player. High work rate, does little things well. Marzhew has a waaay higher ceiling. But I really don't think its that unreasonable that Sami is currently edging him as first choice winger.
    Fair poitns HS. I remember sitting at the Rabbitohs game last year where we blew the huge lead and watched Sami get exposed down the edge all night, the comeback game against the roosters where he couldnt even make a simple tackle into touch. The sideways runs, the decrease in speed. Him getting the ball in open space out wide but has no pace to burn so immedeately cuts back into the defender whereas a hard running winger could take the line on.

Now Sami was "ok" in his return at the end of last season and im sure you could point out Marzhews defence liabilities and mistakes like I have above with sami but I simply look at it this way.

I think ive seen all that Sami has to offer and if we are fair dinkum about being a top 8 team I dont think he makes the run on winger spot in too many clubs. Look at Fermour he was a turnstyle when he started but the continued game time and opportunites and he made the most of it. Marzhew did not deserve to be benched last year in my opinon (again was it the comments he made in training). Marzhew has the x-factor. He could be our To'o but he needs to keep getting that first grade time. Sami to me seems like a pointless stop gap.

Id absolutely love for a much fitter Sami come out and make me eat my words but I just cant see it but its a new season, new combinations and everyone gets a clean slate with me and its up to Marzhew to stamp his ticket tonight against a strong broncos squad.
    Last edited by 5 Year Contract; 18-02-22 at 11:52 AM.

Lol@HStheApologist … forever never to be forgotten

I feel that apart from keeping Marzhew off the right wing it also keeps Thompson off his preferred left wing. I’m really not a Sami fan and feel his fortuitous Origin selection will remain one of the QRL’s great tactical errors. I really hope he proves me wrong but I’ve said that before.

Very excited to see all our guys go around tomorrow.
    Last edited by Titanic; 18-02-22 at 12:44 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Year Contract View Post
    Fair poitns HS. I remember sitting at the Rabbitohs game last year where we blew the huge lead and watched Sami get exposed down the edge all night, the comeback game against the roosters where he couldnt even make a simple tackle into touch. The sideways runs, the decrease in speed. Him getting the ball in open space out wide but has no pace to burn so immedeately cuts back into the defender whereas a hard running winger could take the line on.

Now Sami was "ok" in his return at the end of last season and im sure you could point out Marzhews defence liabilities and mistakes like I have above with sami but I simply look at it this way.

I think ive seen all that Sami has to offer and if we are fair dinkum about being a top 8 team I dont think he makes the run on winger spot in too many clubs. Look at Fermour he was a turnstyle when he started but the continued game time and opportunites and he made the most of it. Marzhew did not deserve to be benched last year in my opinon (again was it the comments he made in training). Marzhew has the x-factor. He could be our To'o but he needs to keep getting that first grade time. Sami to me seems like a pointless stop gap.

Id absolutely love for a much fitter Sami come out and make me eat my words but I just cant see it but its a new season, new combinations and everyone gets a clean slate with me and its up to Marzhew to stamp his ticket tonight against a strong broncos squad.
    I hear you mate but I've just got a much different opinion on all of those examples you've given. Sami wasn't the one solely responsible for those tries down that edge v the bunnies the first time. I feel that he gets scapegoated as the winger "not staying on his man" but anyone who knows how edge defence systems work knows he's just doing what he's taught to do. The issue that night was Peachey at centre, who was then replaced by Kelly on the unfamiliar right side where he struggled. Roosters game we're pinning one moment on him when he's out of position to start with for again following Kelly in who made a poor read (I actually posted some screenshots of this after the loss to illustrate). The sideways running is because they're coached to get to spots to set up the next carry and not get boxed in a corner. I agree he looked slow last year though and that is super painful to watch..he also looked out of shape, and had some poor lapses in concentration.

I don't want to be seen as making excuses for an average NRL winger who is like my 28th favourite player on the roster so I've tried to provide some explanation around my thoughts and where I think some of that responsibility gets redirected. But I really do feel like he gets scapegoated a lot, and blamed for things that aren't actually his fault.

Fermor's improvement has been wonderful but he also got dropped back to Qcup, worked on his game, and came back better. His issues were technique based, whereas Marzhews are all mental/decision making/identifying situations and calling numbers etc.

The game before Marzhew got dropped v the Bunnies, he struggled big time bc the Bunnies were forcing him to making decisions and count numbers. He didn't do it very well and hence that edge got torched. Would I have dropped him? Absolutely not, but we had Melbourne and then 2 season defining games coming up and any opposition coach would just watch the film and rinse & repeat what the bunnies did. It was a head scratcher at the time but in hindsight it made sense IMO.

Edit here: My bad, he got dropped after the Melb game. Same logic still stands though - season defining games and an outside edge low on confidence for some defensive issues is dangerous. Note how much better patty herb was defensively with CT there.

By all accounts Sami has come back in good knick and will start R1 but I still think Marzhew takes his jersey at some point. He's got plenty of time to develop and improve what he needs to. Nothing to do with off-field stuff, or comments he made, I think it's as simple as he's got some things to work on that get highlighted at training with the defensive drills they run.

Thanks for the discussion 5YC and for explaining your POV. How good is it to have some exciting young outside backs? Hopefully we'll be including Lofi & Jojo as part of this discussion in no time as well

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Lol@HStheApologist … forever never to be forgotten

I feel that apart from keeping Marzhew off the right wing it also keeps Thompson off his preferred left wing. I’m really not a Sami fan and feel his fortuitous Origin selection will remain one of the QRL’s great tactical errors. I really hope he proves me wrong but I’ve said that before.
    Hahahaha I know JB will be reading my post somewere just shaking his head
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 18-02-22 at 01:02 PM.

Looks like Payne Haas is out of the Broncos side for tomorrow night

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    I hear you mate but I've just got a much different opinion on all of those examples you've given. Sami wasn't the one solely responsible for those tries down that edge v the bunnies the first time. I feel that he gets scapegoated as the winger "not staying on his man" but anyone who knows how edge defence systems work knows he's just doing what he's taught to do. The issue that night was Peachey at centre, who was then replaced by Kelly on the unfamiliar right side where he struggled. Roosters game we're pinning one moment on him when he's out of position to start with for again following Kelly in who made a poor read (I actually posted some screenshots of this after the loss to illustrate). The sideways running is because they're coached to get to spots to set up the next carry and not get boxed in a corner. I agree he looked slow last year though and that is super painful to watch..he also looked out of shape, and had some poor lapses in concentration.

I don't want to be seen as making excuses for an average NRL winger who is like my 28th favourite player on the roster so I've tried to provide some explanation around my thoughts and where I think some of that responsibility gets redirected. But I really do feel like he gets scapegoated a lot, and blamed for things that aren't actually his fault.

Fermor's improvement has been wonderful but he also got dropped back to Qcup, worked on his game, and came back better. His issues were technique based, whereas Marzhews are all mental/decision making/identifying situations and calling numbers etc.

The game before Marzhew got dropped v the Bunnies, he struggled big time bc the Bunnies were forcing him to making decisions and count numbers. He didn't do it very well and hence that edge got torched. Would I have dropped him? Absolutely not, but we had Melbourne and then 2 season defining games coming up and any opposition coach would just watch the film and rinse & repeat what the bunnies did. It was a head scratcher at the time but in hindsight it made sense IMO.

Edit here: My bad, he got dropped after the Melb game. Same logic still stands though - season defining games and an outside edge low on confidence for some defensive issues is dangerous. Note how much better patty herb was defensively with CT there.

By all accounts Sami has come back in good knick and will start R1 but I still think Marzhew takes his jersey at some point. He's got plenty of time to develop and improve what he needs to. Nothing to do with off-field stuff, or comments he made, I think it's as simple as he's got some things to work on that get highlighted at training with the defensive drills they run.

Thanks for the discussion 5YC and for explaining your POV. How good is it to have some exciting young outside backs? Hopefully we'll be including Lofi & Jojo as part of this discussion in no time as well

- - - Updated - - -

Hahahaha I know JB will be reading my post somewere just shaking his head
    110% im just glad we are past the days of trying to understand Zillys lifetime #1 jersey and we may finally get some real competition for spots!

NRL 2022: Younger brothers of Tino Fa’asuamaleaui and Payne Haas join forces at Gold Coast Titans

Travis Meyn, Courier Mail

Their brothers are State of Origin enemies but Gold Coast young guns Klese Haas and Iszac Fa’asuamaleaui have banded together to take the Titans into a new era.

The younger brothers of Broncos star Payne Haas and Gold Coast captain Tino Fa’asuamaleaui will pull on Titans jerseys for the first time in Saturday night’s trial against the Broncos at Cbus Super Stadium.

The Haas brothers were set to come up against each other before Payne was ruled out of the match with soreness.

Iszac won’t get the chance to play alongside Tino, who has been rested, but they could not be far off becoming a potent forward force for the Gold Coast in years to come.

Iszac, 20, said he always looked up to his older brother and he hoped to get his career back on track following three injury-plagued years.

“Nothing has changed (now Tino is captain), he’s still my brother, I just have to listen to him more now,” he said. “He has always led me while we were growing up. Now he gets to do it for the whole team, it’s a proud moment for our family.

“I haven’t played much football over the last three years. I’m trying to get fitter and stronger in the gym. It’s been good training with the boys.

“I’ll put my best foot forward and see how I go. It’ll be a good learning curve and experience. I just want to enjoy it rather than being nervous and thinking about it.”

A middle forward like his brother, Iszac went to school and played junior footy in the Gympie region before following Tino to Melbourne as he kicked off his NRL career with the Storm.

Tino has previously rated Iszac a better talent than himself and said he hoped his brother could crack the top grade following years of injury struggles.

“He has been one of our top trainers. I’ve been really happy seeing how he is going, he is knocking on the door,” Tino said. “He’s still got to do his time in (Queensland) Cup and hopefully be a consistent player against men.

“We’ve got a lot of depth in our props. He’s got to keep chipping away and working hard.

“Hopefully he plays NRL soon. If not this year, then next year.”

Klese, 19, and Iszac are part of the Titans’ junior pathways system and are pushing their claims for full-time development contracts.

Klese came through the famed Keebra Park High School system like Payne but unlike his front row-playing brother, Klese is an edge back-rower with crafty footwork and ability to find the tryline.

Klese said he was trying to avoid the hype of playing against Payne and he had enjoyed his first pre-season with the Titans’ top squad.

“It’s been really tough but great learning off all the boys like Tino, David (Fifita) and Kevvie (Proctor),” he said.

“I’m not thinking about too much, it’s just a game of footy and he’s another player out there. Nothing has changed.

“We’ve been speaking about it being a game of footy. We are not going out there as just me and him. It’s Gold Coast versus Brisbane.

“I just want to see where I’m at with the NRL boys.”

While Tino and Payne famously went toe-to-toe during the 2020 State of Origin series, their younger brothers have struck up a close bond at the Titans.

Coach Justin Holbrook has been impressed with what he’s seen and said Iszac carried a lot of his brother’s traits.

“He is an unbelievable trainer – exactly like Tino,” he said.

“He hasn’t played a lot of rugby league. He’s only played about 10 games over three or four years now. It’s going to be a slow development phase for him.

“I don’t want anyone to expect to see another Tino running around tomorrow night. He’s got to have a big development year. It’s good to get him a game and out on the field.”

An Origin and Test star, Payne Haas has developed into one of the NRL’s premier props with his insane fitness and work ethic.

Holbrook said Klese was more of an explosive threat on the edge and he was looking forward to seeing him in Titans colours.

“He has got a great work ethic and is really excited to get a run,” he said.

“Klese is different to Payne, who plays in the middle and can play 80 minutes. Klese is an edge back-rower who could possibly play centre. He is not the same style of player as Payne.

“He’s got footwork and skill which is great. He’s worked really hard and gets an opportunity to play for us.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...a5618ca6ea1220
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 19-02-22 at 07:31 AM.

What does this year look like for these two brothers? Is it likely either of them will get a crack at first grade

Quote Originally Posted by NSW Titan View Post
    What does this year look like for these two brothers? Is it likely either of them will get a crack at first grade
    Highly unlikely. Neither of them are even signed to a contract for 2022 that makes them eligible to play NRL. Iszac is a bit further along in the sense he has an NRL Development contract signed I believe for 2023, whereas Klese is still on a JTS (junior titans system) contract, and is trying to earn an NRL Development contract whether it be for 2022 or 2023.

If either get promoted to an NRL Development contract for 2022, then they're eligible.

As it stands they'll play HDC (U21's) with the goal of trying to play some Qcup. Tonight's trial will be their first game against men and it's an NRL trial. Will be a gauge to see how they handle the pace and physicality.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 19-02-22 at 08:25 AM.

Junior

Where can you get tickets for next weeks trial against the warriors??

Rep Player

Power better come back on in Ormeau in time for the game else I’ll be watching on my phone…

So finally we get to watch some footy. Great to see a few new faces go around tonight and it should be a good year.

Also I think it is time for Bodsie to come back from his break as the season is starting. We know you are still lurking and reading so why not just join in as we all enjoy your passion and input. You must be enjoying yourself as your dream of promoting from within is really kicking off. Don't make us beg for you to come back we know you love your team so it would be great to get your take on how everything is looking. Come back Bodsie.
    Psmitty