Thread: Our Halves

Banned

Default Our Halves

I know the passes weren't crisp from Mitch Rein at the start of the game
    But I re-watched game

Watch Thurston and Cronk or Jamie Soward or Cleary
    When the ball is on the opposition half 30 metre line / or 25 metre line the halves should touch the ball at least 4 times per set

Give the ball to the halves and they give it to a forward or whoever

The ball just went to Tino or a forward

I watched again
    People were standing 30 metres away
    Rein had to throw 30 metre passes

A half should stand close to him then run it and throw it to someone

Everyone was standing 30 metres away from Rein

Where was our halves or Campbell should stand up and command the ball

I prefer Corey Thompson at Fullback he can tackle at least

We went on a winning streak with Taylor and Sexton and then Fogarty and Peachey messed everything up

I feel like Holbrook is just like Madge playing around with the team

Ok I haven’t opened this debate up in 2021 so I’ll bring it out again now. They are not “halves” (2 making a whole what?), they are two half’s being 2 “halfbacks” shortened by an apostrophe … lol I don’t really care but someone will :-)
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

QLD Cup

My phone auto corrects to halves Titanic. It’s a hassle changing it to half’s when typing it several times.

Also to be fair, our two half’s only really make one whole halfback so it could be justified.

You have a good point CT. Go and watch the games Sexton played, he didn’t stand as wide. Taylor would also stand closer but throw wide, which created space as the defence came up on him. When Rein throws 30m the defence just slides while the ball is in the air.

Halfback being a position x2 and not a fraction of one.

Definely throwing wide allows the defense to shut the attack down, just like running sideways or not passing the ball … lol.

Not sure what I think of AJ at 6 next year. I am not convinced that it will work but I am not sure where else you put him if he isn't at 6. I like the idea of Paul Turner maybe playing 9 or 14 and I do like the thought of Shallin Fuller fighting for a position as he looks good. Obviously AJ in 6 and Sexton in 7 with Campbell at 1 and Turner in there looks good but if AJ at 6 doesn't work then maybe centre is a position for him.
    Psmitty

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Ok I haven’t opened this debate up in 2021 so I’ll bring it out again now. They are not “halves” (2 making a whole what?), they are two half’s being 2 “halfbacks” shortened by an apostrophe … lol I don’t really care but someone will :-)
    Tell me about the in-gold area.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    The treasured green space between the white lines demarcating normality and purgatory, where if one correctly places an inflated and much coveted pill-shaped projectile, they will become forever enshrined in forklore, hence this rarified portion of hallowed turf is colloquially known as the in-gold area.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    The treasured green space between the white lines demarcating normality and purgatory, where if one correctly places an inflated and much coveted pill-shaped projectile, they will become forever enshrined in forklore, hence this rarified portion of hallowed turf is colloquially known as the in-gold area.
    I thought my ears were playing tricks on me (I am partially deaf) but I could have sworn that I heard Roach say in gold area a few times. Coming from a footy player I find this astonishing.

Cocker Roach is a moron. He is a dribbler par excellence. How anybody can take his commentary seriously astounds me. Surely he is employed for comedic relief.

Speaks the way he played ... leads with his chin.

AJ Brimson wants Darren Lockyer’s help with shift to five-eighth

AJ Brimson is hoping his boyhood hero Darren Lockyer will put intrastate rivalries aside and share some wisdom on how to make the most of a positional switch.

Gold Coast dynamo AJ Brimson has confirmed he will shift to five-eighth next season and wants advice from childhood hero Darren Lockyer to make the Titanic gamble a success.

Titans coach Justin Holbrook will roll the dice by switching one of his most dynamic ball runner from his preferred position at fullback to the troublesome No. 6 jersey.

The emergence of promising No. 1 Jayden Campbell has forced the shake-up, with Holbrook keen to have Brimson and the son of Dally M legend Preston Campbell in the same team.

The No. 6 jersey proved to be a poisoned chalice for the Titans this year, with Ash Taylor, Tanah Boyd and Tyrone Peachey spending time in the position without setting the world on fire.

Rookie halfback Toby Sexton will be given the No. 7 duties following the release of Jamal Fogarty to Canberra, making 63-gamer Brimson the senior playmaker.

Brimson, 23, made his NRL debut at five-eighth in 2018 but has only started 15 games in the crucial position.

The Queensland Origin utility admitted he preferred to play fullback but said he was happy to make the move to accommodate the rising Campbell.

“If I was honest, I’ve been enjoying fullback more than five-eighth the last few years,” Brimson said.

“But I also think for ‘JC’ and me to both be in the team we’d be at our best if I’m in the halves and he’s at fullback.

“It’s something I completely understand. I’m not filthy or upset about it.

“That’s the best fit to have me and JC in the team together.

“It’s something I’m genuinely looking forward to. I’m excited to play with Jayden and I’ve played a lot of six in the past.”

With an inexperienced halfback by his side in Sexton, the pressure will be on Brimson to perform and help the Titans continue their rise following a drought-breaking finals appearance this year, which Brimson missed due to a broken jaw.

After becoming one of the game’s great fullbacks, Lockyer famously shifted to five-eighth and made a successful transition which saw him win the 2006 grand final with the Broncos.

Brimson grew up a huge Broncos’ fan in Brisbane and said he would reach out to the 355-game legend Lockyer for advice.

“I should ring him, he’s definitely someone I’ve looked up to,” he said.

“There’s been a few greats of the game that have gone from fullback to the halves like Lockyer and (Cameron) Munster.

“When you step back and look at it, it is a big ask to have a young spine. But the pressure is not something that’s crossed my mind.

“I know it’s only early days but I don’t really feel that pressure at all at the moment.

“Toby plays like a veteran, that’s his natural game. He’s been calm training with us for years and JC is a freak.

“I’ll enjoy being back in the halves.”

Brimson committed to the Titans for a further five seasons this year, keeping him at the Gold Coast until at least 2026.

The contract takes him out of the mix for the Dolphins’ foundation team and Brimson said he saw a bright future at the Titans after the club declared it wanted to win two NRL premierships by 2030.

“We’re on the up,” he said.

“We’re not silly. It’s not something that happens overnight. It takes years of progression.

“You don’t usually see a team have a random good year. It’s something you build towards and we’re building.

“We’re not there yet but we’re on the right track and I believe with our staff and squad we can get it done. That’s genuine.

“We’re not just happy trying to make up the numbers. We want to push for those spots.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...4dca6735a29ed2
    Psmitty

Rep Player

Needs to work on his passing game but we all know he’s a dynamic runner and I’m far more confident about our edge defense with him there.

Inactive User

AJ is just a glorious GC clubman.

First Grader

Any idea if he has a kicking game

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    Any idea if he has a kicking game
    Short kicking game is decent. Long kicking game can be improved. Imagine it'll be a point of focus in pre-season

JC took some kicking responsibility towards the end of the season too - spiral bombs and also offers a decent short kicking game. We'll have a bit of variety in that area I think.