Page 19 of 143 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 69 119 ... LastLast
    Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    It's about what you can prove. At this stage it's just caffeine powder
    Yeah look I’d say a good chunk of the league would all be doing the same thing these guys are just dumb enough to have a guy in the room filming it. Will be interesting with Peter “I’m trying to attract non league fans” V’landys at the helm. Perfect world we get him for a slight discount but I imagine it will be swept aside and laughed about on the Marty Johns show in 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Year Contract View Post
    Kiss Brandon smith goodbye lads. Footage making the rounds now of storm players cutting a few lines of proctor in their hotel and the cheese looks the worst

Inactive User

No dramas as far as I’m concerned

Obviously something has changed in the past week to allow the release so it’ll be interesting to see.

You’d have to hope we have an ace up our sleeve because giving away a playmaker for nothing in return is absolutely moronic. No matter how mediocre the playmaker is

Hopefully we at least asked the question about Hodgson..

NRL Transfer Market: Titans release Jamal Fogarty, halfback free to join Raiders

Jamal Fogarty’s NRL future won’t be on the Gold Coast after the Titans finally made a call on their co-captain — all the latest player movement news.

Peter Badel

September 29, 2021 - 5:59PM

Jamal Fogarty has been given permission to negotiate with rival clubs by the Titans - clearing the path for the Gold Coast co-captain to sign with the Raiders.

News Corp can reveal the Titans have softened their stance after originally playing hardball with Fogarty, agreeing on Wednesday night to release the playmaker from the final two years of his Gold Coast deal.

Fogarty’s agent has spent the past 24 hours in urgent talks with the Titans to discuss a possible early release after Gold Coast indicated rising star Toby Sexton would be the No.1 halfback next season.

The 27-year-old has effectively played his last game for the Titans, with Fogarty expected to finalise a transfer with another NRL club by the weekend.

Fogarty’s management will explore the open market immediately to gauge the level of interest in the late-blooming, 41-game playmaker.

But the Raiders remain the front-runners to secure Fogarty’s signature.

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart is a fan of Fogarty with the Raiders to formally open negotiations on Thursday armed with a two-year deal to bring the Indigenous All Stars playmaker to the nation’s capital next season.

There were suggestions Fogarty would be released as part of a straight swap with Josh Hodgson, but it is understood the Titans will not sign the classy Canberra hooker.

Fogarty’s swift departure from Parkwood will come as a shock.

The Titans held Fogarty in such high regard that he was handed the co-captaincy in February and just three months ago, he inked a 12-month extension keeping him at the Gold Coast until the end of 2023.

But the emergence of boom understudy Sexton, who made his NRL debut in July, left Fogarty on shaky ground at the Titans.

Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook will give the 20-year-old Sexton first crack at the No.7 jumper next season, a scenario which left Fogarty in danger of being relegated to the second-tier Intrust Super Cup.

Realising he was potentially on the outer, Fogarty raised the prospect of exploring other opportunities. The Titans initially rejected his request to look around, but have backflipped on their hardline stance to enable Fogarty to secure his NRL future.

Fogarty has a solid record at the Titans - he has won 17 games for a 41 per cent success rate - but there is a view Sexton, the former Australian Schoolboys star who is seven years younger, offers greater long-term promise.

Fogarty was outstanding against Canberra last season, scoring 16 points in a 44-6 rout of the Raiders in July, and that performance piqued the interest of Stuart.

A former champion playmaker, Stuart likes what he sees in Fogarty.

The Canberra coach wants a low-maintenance halfback with a good kicking game to complement the running game of five-eighth Jack Wighton and Fogarty, one of the Titans’ best trainers, ticks a number of boxes.

Fogarty underlined his status as one of the NRL’s most popular clubmen at the Dally M Awards last Monday night, named as a finalist for the Ken Stephen Medal for services to the rugby league community.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...3f7f860c2e2f89
    Psmitty

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    NRL Transfer Market: Titans release Jamal Fogarty, halfback free to join Raiders

There were suggestions Fogarty would be released as part of a straight swap with Josh Hodgson, but it is understood the Titans will not sign the classy Canberra hooker.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...3f7f860c2e2f89
    Why sign old man Hodgson he is already struggling in a fatigue led game it would be worse for us

If the bloke has the opportunity to double his wage then let him go and wish him all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    If the bloke has the opportunity to double his wage then let him go and wish him all the best.
    I agree, he’s put in for the club and we have got our money’s worth from his contract. Fingers crossed our HALFS workout next year. Also hopefully we have something up our sleeve to benefit from his transfer.

I understand from Fogartys POV it’s more money for him etc. However the Titans did extend him so they must have him in the plans going forward. I thought with Sexton / Boyd around it would make him stand up and play harder to keep his spot.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Junior

As much as I don’t mind releasing Fogarty, our spine worries me a bit. Jc will be 22, AJ will be 24, Toby will be 21. Even if Aaron Booth wins the hooking role he will only be 25. Where is the experience and leadership coming from?? As much as we all didn’t think much of Jamal he was an on field general who had the respect from the boys. Who is the one laying down the law next year when we are in the fight??

Quote Originally Posted by SCoast Titan View Post
    As much as I don’t mind releasing Fogarty, our spine worries me a bit. Jc will be 22, AJ will be 24, Toby will be 21. Even if Aaron Booth wins the hooking role he will only be 25. Where is the experience and leadership coming from?? As much as we all didn’t think much of Jamal he was an on field general who had the respect from the boys. Who is the one laying down the law next year when we are in the fight??
    I don't think he had the respect. There have been several occasions when players were verbally "wtf?" ing him on the field. Players will respond to a player who is getting them over the line more than a player who is a couple of years older.

I'd have preferred we held onto him until November-December when we knew where we stood with B Smith, but I'm not concerened we lose much with him not being part of the squad.

He's played less NRL games than Brimmo, and age =/= valuable experience. I think it was quite evident that in the big moments he went missing and he wasn't going to get any better. I remember following Fogarty's early career when he was with our U20's and then progressed to play with Tweed (before Burleigh) in the Qcup, and it's fair to say he was nowhere near the level of Toby Sexton at the same age. Toby is doing now what Fogarty was doing in his prime years in Qcup. Not that it matters much now - but it gives some perspective on player ceiling.

Top bloke with great standards off the field who will always owe Holbrook for giving him the opportunity to make a career out of Rugby League when no one else was interested.

Inactive User

Next year is year 3 of the 5 year plan. It’s entirely appropriate that we have a young spine next year and develop them.