Page 108 of 143 FirstFirst ... 8 58 98 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 118 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 2136

I think there are a lot of qualities needed by a halfback. The ability to read defence, a good passing game, a good communicator, a good kicking game (particularly short kicking, someone else can kick you out of trouble), they need to be a good defender, they need to be tough, they need to be able to read the game and set up plays at least a couple of tackles in advance. They need to be willing to run the ball. The need to be able to adapt to the game and create opportunities. They need to run the side. A dash of speed is very useful...an alert and responding team around them when they make a break is more useful.

How many boxes does Sexton tick? Or...is speed the most important? Hmmm....
    Last edited by Menoitios; 10-06-22 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    I think there are a lot of qualities needed by a halfback. The ability to read defence, a good passing game, a good communicator, a good kicking game (particularly short kicking, someone else can kick you out of trouble), they need to be a good defender, they need to be tough, they need to be able to read the game and set up plays at least a couple of tackles in advance. They need to be willing to run the ball. The need to be able to adapt to the game and create opportunities. They need to run the side. A dash of speed is very useful...an alert and responding team around them when they make a break is more useful.

Well, not many at this stage to be quite honest. Let's get real - Sexton has played about 15 NRL games now and has shown little, other than that 40 minutes against the Broncs.
    But as I said in an earlier post, I would like him to have more time to do his thing which would come with a decent 9. His own lack of speed though must be a factor and that does concern me as there is no way he is ever going to be even moderately quick.

- - - Updated - - -

A top quality 9 is not going to help your defensive structure cope when the winger keeps rushing in and not shutting down play. Why has the winger come in? Because the centre has found himself in an unfolding overlap. Why...because the backrower has missed a tackle or was lazy in the slide. Now the fullback has a real job on his hands...
    I think your comments here mate get away a bit from what a few of us are saying about Clarke, and that is his lack of speed out of dummy half. Of course a top quality 9, or any player for that matter, is going to make a difference if the errors like you list above happen. However my main wants out of a hooker is speed of service plus make a few darts from dummy half, get a quick play the ball, and rattle the opposition defensive structure. Our bloke offers none of this. I can't gloss over it.
    JMO.

I am going to pitch the Bonanza theme as our real problem. We have the "ponderosa" of problems in the middle with non-athletic middles, you can read Wallace, Lisone, Ese'ese and to a large extent Liu and to a lesser extent Mo here. They are not Junior Paulo busting lines or JWH busting heads. Fifita is the anomaly because he has other silky skills and shouldn't be judged the same way.

I think we should take a line from the the Storm (NSA) and the Eels (Junior P) book and play 12+ Fifita but to do that those antiquated body shapes are out, except Mo and maybe Liu but only one on the field at a time. This should allow more agile players like Tino, Fermor, Jolliffe, Clarke (at 13) and McIntyre to do their own thing like helping smaller bodies like Sexton instead of covering other slower forwards.

For sure a decent 9 would help, no matter what.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Imagine if we were still carrying Shannon Boyd's contract

Intensity and top speed are different things. Toby is slow for a backline member, but it's not like he's Junior Paulo.
    Hey Wilhelm how's it going mate?

Yes I understand Intensity and top speed are different things and to be honest I probably didn't explain myself overly well.
    Anyway I was simply trying to suggest that with the new intense speed of the game that the faster players (all positions) now have a bigger advantage than ever before and the slower players are becoming redundant. An obvious new level of stamina is also essential.

Just on speed - It’s fantastic to have that top end speed but that quick of the mark acceleration over 30/40 meters has the biggest influence in games (pretty sure Sexton has neither).

Look I hope I’m wrong on this one and I’ve been wrong before. I remember way back where a young Hughes played a game for us and afterwards I made a comment on this forum that he looked way to slow for NRL.
    If you can remember HS it was yourself that set me straight and said he was pretty quick over that 30/40 meters where it counts…and the rest is history.

Hi Meno good to have your contributions once again.

Mate we're going to disagree on this one and that's fine.
    IMO if a 7 isn't at least quick over that initial 30 meters then there will be no future in the game as it is currently played.

G'day Birdman

I agree. Particularly in under 14's, 16's and 18's. At NRL level...your entire team follows (or should) set systems and structures. Even more importantly, they need to be drilled at adlib/scramble defence. What I mean by that is how to break from the defensive system to cover defend then quickly reset. That is a skill the team needs, and it's not easy to learn. It's all about repetition at training, training under duress and of course fitness.

A top quality 9 is not going to help your defensive structure cope when the winger keeps rushing in and not shutting down play. Why has the winger come in? Because the centre has found himself in an unfolding overlap. Why...because the backrower has missed a tackle or was lazy in the slide. Now the fullback has a real job on his hands...

Look...I'm not saying a more experienced 1, 6, 7 and 9 aren't important. Of course they are, I agree with you on that 100%. What I'm saying is that it all comes off the back of defending well across the park. Making the right decisions even under fatigue. And that comes back to attitude, willingness, urgency and pride in the jersey.

Cheers, mate!
    I agree with this mate. 80% of our problem is we have half a team that hates the arm wrestle and gritting their teeth. A few definitely do love shortcuts though.

My opinion when I compare our terms attitude and fitness to other NRL squads anyway
    Last edited by The Birdman; 10-06-22 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Well, not many at this stage to be quite honest. Let's get real - Sexton has played about 15 NRL games now and has shown little, other than that 40 minutes against the Broncs.
    But as I said in an earlier post, I would like him to have more time to do his thing which would come with a decent 9. His own lack of speed though must be a factor and that does concern me as there is no way he is ever going to be even moderately quick.

- - - Updated - - -

I think your comments here mate get away a bit from what a few of us are saying about Clarke, and that is his lack of speed out of dummy half. Of course a top quality 9, or any player for that matter, is going to make a difference if the errors like you list above happen. However my main wants out of a hooker is speed of service plus make a few darts from dummy half, get a quick play the ball, and rattle the opposition defensive structure. Our bloke offers none of this. I can't gloss over it.
    JMO.
    I see the Sexton situation like this. He's a young bloke with a wealth of talent. He's played only a handful of games in the nrl (most blokes take at least a full season to find their feet) and he's been thrown in the deep end, playing behind a forward pack that is regularly dominated. He has to play off the back foot almost all the time because we are constantly giving up so much territory when defending. Unless the opposition makes a mistake, we start nearly every set of 6 deep in our own half. I think Sexy is doing a great job at the moment given the situation he finds himself in. Anyone putting the boot into him is just not really getting where we are.

I can't draw very well, so diagrams are out. I'll try once more to explain my stance. I believe Clarke is a 13. I believe we need a strong 1, 6, 7 and 9 - we need a spinal adjustment. We can't pull said adjustment out of our proverbial...but I'm not prepared to just throw my hands in the air and make silly statements like..."That's it, we're cooked" or "Season over". Sure, we aren't going to make the finals, but do w just throw the toys out of the cot?? We get the sh!ts when players display that attitude, but jeez...there's not much fight in the fan base.

My point that I'm trying to make is that the situation we find ourselves in is not because of a couple of our spine or just our 7 and 9 alone. It's an attitude problem that has crept into our team psyche. I think we came into the season thinking it was just going to "happen". But it didn't just happen for us, then the injuries arose, then we started seeing the cows and broncs rise and we started to spiral.

You say we should get real...I reckon my reality is more grounded than yours (subjective I know, and that comment is for demonstration purposes only...although I do love philosophy lol!). In my reality...I don't live in the future, wishing and wanting for the club to sign this player or that player to solve our problems. Living there leads to anxiousness and usually disappointment. I certainly don't live in the past regretting that this player or that player was let go or retired and wondering what difference they would make to this side. Living there leads to depression and hopelessness. Where I live, the point of power is always right now. So what can we do right now?? Concentrate solely on defence! Flog them or reward them based solely on defence. We need to ingrain a defensive warrior type mindset. It's the only thing we can do with the cattle we have...right now. Fixing our defence - will fix the Titans! Points will come off that.

Here's another thing I accept in my reality...I reckon we'll agree on this. The acquisition and retention team at Titans HQ are never, ever going to consult you or I about who we should chase or keep. Nor will they visit this wonderful site to glean information and collect our thoughts on the matter. So why do we stress?

I reckon...and our realities are probably about to diverge here again...we should keep this site somewhat light and informative. Somewhere supporters can come to keep up to date with junior development, see what's happening around the traps to do with all things Titans, gather team news and announcements etc. Maybe everyone could vent their frustrations on other platforms like facebook, twitter, reddit...because we just end up turning on each other. I can just imagine how ugly it'll get on here later this arvo. What do you reckon??

Also, which is the one club you are a man of?

I see the Sexton situation like this. He's a young bloke with a wealth of talent. He's played only a handful of games in the nrl (most blokes take at least a full season to find their feet) and he's been thrown in the deep end, playing behind a forward pack that is regularly dominated. He has to play off the back foot almost all the time because we are constantly giving up so much territory when defending. Unless the opposition makes a mistake, we start nearly every set of 6 deep in our own half. I think Sexy is doing a great job at the moment given the situation he finds himself in. Anyone putting the boot into him is just not really getting where we are.

I can't draw very well, so diagrams are out. I'll try once more to explain my stance. I believe Clarke is a 13. I believe we need a strong 1, 6, 7 and 9 - we need a spinal adjustment. We can't pull said adjustment out of our proverbial...but I'm not prepared to just throw my hands in the air and make silly statements like..."That's it, we're cooked" or "Season over". Sure, we aren't going to make the finals, but do w just throw the toys out of the cot?? We get the sh!ts when players display that attitude, but jeez...there's not much fight in the fan base.

My point that I'm trying to make is that the situation we find ourselves in is not because of a couple of our spine or just our 7 and 9 alone. It's an attitude problem that has crept into our team psyche. I think we came into the season thinking it was just going to "happen". But it didn't just happen for us, then the injuries arose, then we started seeing the cows and broncs rise and we started to spiral.

You say we should get real...I reckon my reality is more grounded than yours (subjective I know, and that comment is for demonstration purposes only...although I do love philosophy lol!). In my reality...I don't live in the future, wishing and wanting for the club to sign this player or that player to solve our problems. Living there leads to anxiousness and usually disappointment. I certainly don't live in the past regretting that this player or that player was let go or retired and wondering what difference they would make to this side. Living there leads to depression and hopelessness. Where I live, the point of power is always right now. So what can we do right now?? Concentrate solely on defence! Flog them or reward them based solely on defence. We need to ingrain a defensive warrior type mindset. It's the only thing we can do with the cattle we have...right now. Fixing our defence - will fix the Titans! Points will come off that.

Here's another thing I accept in my reality...I reckon we'll agree on this. The acquisition and retention team at Titans HQ are never, ever going to consult you or I about who we should chase or keep. Nor will they visit this wonderful site to glean information and collect our thoughts on the matter. So why do we stress?

I reckon...and our realities are probably about to diverge here again...we should keep this site somewhat light and informative. Somewhere supporters can come to keep up to date with junior development, see what's happening around the traps to do with all things Titans, gather team news and announcements etc. Maybe everyone could vent their frustrations on other platforms like facebook, twitter, reddit...because we just end up turning on each other. I can just imagine how ugly it'll get on here later this arvo. What do you reckon??

Also, which is the one club you are a man of?
    Good response mate, although if I reply in that detail I'll miss the 3pm kick off.
    My "get real" comments solely related to Toby and explained why I have concerns about him. I also believe we should cut him some slack due the lack of ability around him.
    Re your comments about this site and Facebook etc, I don't mind if people get stuck in on here, but keep it respectful. The other sites are over the top generally.
    Not sure I get your last question but I am a member of Manly and Titans. I have been a Titans member since day 1 at Carrara. I see far more Titans games live now than Manly games, and I'm desperate for both clubs to succeed. Unfortunately both have similar failings at the moment with a bent out of shape salary cap and poor hooker options.

@MT you have cleverly dodged the burning question. You have explained your club allegiances but there are still quite a few butt splinters there although understandable due to the Titans relatively recent inception, assumably you fly the Ozzie flag during the World Cup and carry the Earth’s colors in the extraterrestrial challenges but how about during Origin? Are you one of the good guys or one of the white shoed brigade? Not that it matters but it is Saturday and we’re facing a flogging … and yet I’ve tipped us again.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Banned

Here are my new signings / changes

Charlie Staines - Fullback
    James Segeyaro - for hooker / bench impact
    Jake Granville - for hooker / bench impact can also play fullback
    Blake Austin - half with Kieran Foran they compliment each other
    AJ Brimson send him to Dolphins
    David Fifit send him to Dolphins
    Michael Chee Kam - when game gets close he somehow scores tries so have Michael Chee Kam can replace Fifita

Quote Originally Posted by coreythompson View Post
    Here are my new signings / changes

Charlie Staines - Fullback
    James Segeyaro - for hooker / bench impact
    Jake Granville - for hooker / bench impact can also play fullback
    Blake Austin - half with Kieran Foran they compliment each other
    AJ Brimson send him to Dolphins
    David Fifit send him to Dolphins
    Michael Chee Kam - when game gets close he somehow scores tries so have Michael Chee Kam can replace Fifita
    Mods, please. Into the sun.

HELP PLEASE!

Could someone please remind me of the point in time when our club has had less optimism from a football playing sense?
    Sorry but I just don’t see how the f@ck we get out of this under the current status quo.

Hurricane and Co are BUST!!!
    No matter what way I look at it they need to be shown the door asap IMO because the only coach who could rebuild this sh1t show is an NRL tried and proven Flanagan and expect he won’t be on the market much longer…that’s if he’d even take the job.

Your right Birdman we’ve all been conned

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    HELP PLEASE!

Could someone please remind me of the point in time when our club has had less optimism from a football playing sense?
    Sorry but I just don’t see how the f@ck we get out of this under the current status quo.

Hurricane and Co are BUST!!!
    No matter what way I look at it they need to be shown the door asap IMO because the only coach who could rebuild this sh1t show is an NRL tried and proven Flanagan and expect he won’t be on the market much longer…that’s if he’d even take the job.

Your right Birdman we’ve all been conned
    You'd think Holbrook is best mates with Buzz, Badel and Hooper when you consider the charmed run he's had in the press for a coach with a 37% win rate. He's a proper media darling.

My opinion of him is he's incredibly overrated. Out defense is on par with the 2019 Brennan dog days.

He's way too much of a nice guy/suck up to the players just like Garth to ever be successful.

He has no idea who is best 17 is and he just keeps picking his favourites.

The more I think about it I see a LOT of similarities between him and Garth which is a major concern. And just like Garth he's going to let his blind faith in his favourites/recruited players lead to his sacking.

I also want to point out Ezra Howe has also put together a horrendous roster and deserves just as much blame and has pretty much got off without any criticism this season. His NZ recruits have been poor. Does he watch footy outside of Warriors and Titans games? If so I'd be shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by The Birdman View Post
    You'd think Holbrook is best mates with Buzz, Badel and Hooper when you consider the charmed run he's had in the press for a coach with a 37% win rate. He's a proper media darling.
    While I was at the game today a Foxsports article appeared on my phone, written by Riccio (Daily Tele I think) where he said Holbrook was under massive pressure and a flogging today may have been the end. So it seems the wolves are circling. Hopefully someone can post it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    @MT you have cleverly dodged the burning question. You have explained your club allegiances but there are still quite a few butt splinters there although understandable due to the Titans relatively recent inception, assumably you fly the Ozzie flag during the World Cup and carry the Earth’s colors in the extraterrestrial challenges but how about during Origin? Are you one of the good guys or one of the white shoed brigade? Not that it matters but it is Saturday and we’re facing a flogging … and yet I’ve tipped us again.
    I'll pull the splinters out for you T. I'd rather do it myself!

To clarify, I support the Blues in Origin, although I don't like the effect it has on the NRL comp. I grew up in the tribalism of club footy in Sydney and winning premierships is far more important than Origin to me. I love watching Origin, especially games like game 1 but it wrecks the NRL comp.

Interesting. I get it. The effect on NRL comp is huge and you could say unfair. Sometimes it ruined what promised to be huge match ups. Me on the other hand, I'm always dirty how the international game gets treated.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER