Page 107 of 143 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 117 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 2136

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    That article says nothing
    It doesn't but just the fact it's out there turns up the public attention on a few people.

For those of you who are under the belief that Aaron Booth is not being considered because he is recovering fitness after overcoming injury, it is worth noting that he played Round 1, missed Rounds 2,3 and 4 and has played each round since. We are now up to round 11. I would have thought that if he was being prepped for NRL he would be getting increased game time in Hostplus in order to have him fit enough for replacement duties in NRL. But that appears not to be the case. It simply frustrates me that we are apparently stuck with Clarke as hooker for the remainder of this season. The downstream effects of that are horrendous, particularly the impact on Sexton. Oh well, our coaches obviously know what they are doing….

Quote Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
    For those of you who are under the belief that Aaron Booth is not being considered because he is recovering fitness after overcoming injury, it is worth noting that he played Round 1, missed Rounds 2,3 and 4 and has played each round since. We are now up to round 11. I would have thought that if he was being prepped for NRL he would be getting increased game time in Hostplus in order to have him fit enough for replacement duties in NRL. But that appears not to be the case. It simply frustrates me that we are apparently stuck with Clarke as hooker for the remainder of this season. The downstream effects of that are horrendous, particularly the impact on Sexton. Oh well, our coaches obviously know what they are doing….
    All good points mate but to be fair, injury kept him out most of last year as well (only played 9 games) and he's only just strung 4 consecutive games together. He hasn't played much football in the last 18 months. If you've watched his games for Burleigh this year his involvement has been getting better as he builds some confidence.

I really thought he would've been selected this round and was particularly disappointed given how well Clarke went at 13. Hoping for a late change.

Wasn't sure where to put this but did some research and found this interesting:

We are actually 2nd in the comp for forced dropouts this year, having 25 compared to Penrith's 26. Sexy has forced 19 himself. For comparison, Adam Reynolds has only forced 6, Moses also has 6, DCE has 0, even Nathan Cleary only has 12. Obviously forced dropouts aren't everything but this shows he has been better than people realise, and there definitely is a good game managing halfback in there. Consistency should hopefully come with experience.

What is killing us is we are 1st in metres conceded (surprise surprise with our passive defence) and in the top 5 for both errors and missed tackles.

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post

We are actually 2nd in the comp for forced dropouts this year, having 25 compared to Penrith's 26. Sexy has forced 19 himself. For comparison, Adam Reynolds has only forced 6, Moses also has 6, DCE has 0, even Nathan Cleary only has 12. Obviously forced dropouts aren't everything but this shows he has been better than people realise, and there definitely is a good game managing halfback in there. Consistency should hopefully come with experience.

What is killing us is we are 1st in metres conceded (surprise surprise with our passive defence) and in the top 5 for both errors and missed tackles.
    Good post BT!

Yep! We're all very well aware of this. This, lets get a real hooker, sack the coach blah, blah, blah will not help the core problem. It just won't. Bringing players up from lower grades might help immediately (with enthusiasm and intent)...but they'll soon fall into the same trap as the rest of the nrl squad.

As I've said before, we need to dumb it down. What does that mean? It means we have to get back to basics. What do I mean basics? The number one requisite of a good footy player is their ability to tackle. That's why a bloke like Dufty…with all the attacking flair you like is on his way out of the nrl. You have to roll your sleeves up and have a real dig...AS A TEAM! Defend, defend, defend. Until we can defend as a solid unit...17 blokes, all hell bent on stopping opposition teams in their tracks, we'll struggle.

Holbrook (and us supporters, sponsors etc) is being let down by his defensive coach and the teams seeming inability or unwillingness to hit hard and defend as though they mean it for 80 minutes. The cowboys haven't turned things around this year because they recruited a good 7...it's because they turned their attitude around about defence.

The media is totally fixated on promoting the game as fast with try scoring the main aim. They glorify the acrobatic try scoring feats of the athletic wingers and the barnstorming, tackle busting runs to the try line by determined, big bodied forwards. Fans get caught up in that hype. That's all fine and good...but games are won and lost on the back of your defence. It's no secret. This is not a eureka moment. It's just that simple.

Knuckle down and put your shoulder in. Grind the other team and intimidate them with your defence. Scramble as though your life depends on it. That's when the game opens and you start scoring points. That's when your confidence grows. If the other side scores a try...your resolve should harden more. That's the time to bite down hard on your mouth guard and really put in.

The majority of our blokes need a reality check. A boot up the **** and a flogging at training. That should have happened in the off season. They should have been told all off season they were lucky to make the 8, given all the games played here. They should have been driven at training and given that hard edge all the good sides have. Then the pats from the coach mean more to them.

IMO.
    Last edited by Menoitios; 10-06-22 at 11:02 AM.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post

That is unreal mate. I see a big future for Toby, particularly since he seems to be taking it all in his stride and not dropping his lip when things don't go his way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    Good post BT!

Yep! We're all very well aware of this. This, lets get a real hooker, sack the coach blah, blah, blah will not help the core problem. It just won't. Bringing players up from lower grades might help immediately (with enthusiasm and intent)...but they'll soon fall into the same trap as the rest of the nrl squad.

As I've said before, we need to dumb it down. What does that mean? It means we have to get back to basics. What do I mean basics? The number one requisite of a good footy player is their ability to tackle. That's why a bloke like Dufty…with all the attacking flair you like is on his way out of the nrl. You have to roll your sleeves up and have a real dig...AS A TEAM! Defend, defend, defend. Until we can defend as a solid unit...17 blokes, all hell bent on stopping opposition teams in their tracks, we'll struggle.

Holbrook (and us supporters, sponsors etc) is being let down by his defensive coach and the teams seeming inability or unwillingness to hit hard and defend as though they mean it for 80 minutes. The cowboys haven't turned things around this year because they recruited a good 7...it's because they turned their attitude around about defence.

The media is totally fixated on promoting the game as fast with try scoring the main aim. They glorify the acrobatic try scoring feats of the athletic wingers and the barnstorming, tackle busting runs to the try line by determined, big bodied forwards. Fans get caught up in that hype. That's all fine and good...but games are won and lost on the back of your defence. It's no secret. This is not a eureka moment. It's just that simple.

Knuckle down and put your shoulder in. Grind the other team and intimidate them with your defence. Scramble as though your life depends on it. That's when the game opens and you start scoring points. That's when your confidence grows. If the other side scores a try...your resolve should harden more. That's the time to bite down hard on your mouth guard and really put in.

The majority of our blokes need a reality check. A boot up the **** and a flogging at training. That should have happened in the off season. They should have been told all off season they were lucky to make the 8, given all the games played here. They should have been driven at training and given that hard edge all the good sides have. Then the pats from the coach mean more to them.

IMO.
    Respect your opinion Meno but I definitely think getting a real hooker would help...

A real hooker will help...but it's like buying new tyres when what you desperately need is a wheel alignment. Get your alignment done and your new tyres will perform well for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    It doesn't but just the fact it's out there turns up the public attention on a few people.
    Yea it's a bit of a dumb article but it's good to get our struggles out in public to get more attention and force Holbrook to make some changes hopefully a new hooker next week if there's another loss

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    A real hooker will help...but it's like buying new tyres when what you desperately need is a wheel alignment. Get your alignment done and your new tyres will perform well for a long time.
    The hooker leads your middle defense, the most important part of the team defensively which sets the tone.

I thought we had a new thread for how to fix the team. Came here thinking we had recruited Benny Elias as hooking coach.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

We have an inexperienced half whose job has been made so much more difficult because of the poor, slow service from his 9. And as for Holbrook being let down by his defensive coach…we’ll, he has been at every training session and he has watched every game but yet he appears to have not done anything about fixing what is broke. I agree 100% it is about defensive attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
    We have an inexperienced half whose job has been made so much more difficult because of the poor, slow service from his 9. And as for Holbrook being let down by his defensive coach…we’ll, he has been at every training session and he has watched every game but yet he appears to have not done anything about fixing what is broke. I agree 100% it is about defensive attitude.
    100% Firey. I'm still not convinced on Sexton yet but I refuse to burn the bloke while we have a ponderous 9.
    You're right about the defensive coach as well. Who appointed the defence coach...usually the coach isn't it.

The game has changed so much in my eyes with the dominance of speed and the intensity there of (in all forms).
    As seen in the SOO the other night where to me QLD had the speed edge on paper and it showed in the game.
    This aspect of the game makes the likes of Wallace a true liability.

So this leads me to Sexton, and as I’ve previously said he has some decent halfback attributes but how the hell can he excel in the current nature of the game when he is a snails pace.
    My perceptions could be wrong and I’m happy to listen on how he’s going to be our 7 answer even though it’s in complete contrast to the games overwhelming prerequisite for speed.

Rep Player

Imagine if we were still carrying Shannon Boyd's contract

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    The game has changed so much in my eyes with the dominance of speed and the intensity there of (in all forms).
    As seen in the SOO the other night where to me QLD had the speed edge on paper and it showed in the game.
    This aspect of the game makes the likes of Wallace a true liability.

So this leads me to Sexton, and as I’ve previously said he has some decent halfback attributes but how the hell can he excel in the current nature of the game when he is a snails pace.
    My perceptions could be wrong and I’m happy to listen on how he’s going to be our 7 answer even though it’s in complete contrast to the games overwhelming prerequisite for speed.
    Intensity and top speed are different things. Toby is slow for a backline member, but it's not like he's Junior Paulo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Birdman View Post
    The hooker leads your middle defense, the most important part of the team defensively which sets the tone.
    G'day Birdman

I agree. Particularly in under 14's, 16's and 18's. At NRL level...your entire team follows (or should) set systems and structures. Even more importantly, they need to be drilled at adlib/scramble defence. What I mean by that is how to break from the defensive system to cover defend then quickly reset. That is a skill the team needs, and it's not easy to learn. It's all about repetition at training, training under duress and of course fitness.

A top quality 9 is not going to help your defensive structure cope when the winger keeps rushing in and not shutting down play. Why has the winger come in? Because the centre has found himself in an unfolding overlap. Why...because the backrower has missed a tackle or was lazy in the slide. Now the fullback has a real job on his hands...

Look...I'm not saying a more experienced 1, 6, 7 and 9 aren't important. Of course they are, I agree with you on that 100%. What I'm saying is that it all comes off the back of defending well across the park. Making the right decisions even under fatigue. And that comes back to attitude, willingness, urgency and pride in the jersey.

Cheers, mate!