Page 50 of 143 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 60 100 ... LastLast
    Rep Player

We won’t lose Tino. It’s all theatrics. He will get his pay bump it will be if we can get Smith. I’m less confident on him so I wonder if we have a plan b and c

Bloody oath mate

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Year Contract View Post
    We won’t lose Tino. It’s all theatrics. He will get his pay bump it will be if we can get Smith. I’m less confident on him so I wonder if we have a plan b and c
    Can assure you it isn’t all theatrics but I hope you’re right in that we don’t lose him

Plan B will be Mahoney id say, and he’ll also be the Dolphins plan B. Ayoub will be intentionally waiting for Smith to make his decision so that Mahoney takes the spotlight, creates more competition and pushes his price up

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Tino is one player who is worth it imo. He’s our Taumalolo.
    How many games did Lolo miss this year broken?

I'm with Indo. Would love him to stay but let's not kill the cap and future doing it.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    How many games did Lolo miss this year broken?

I'm with Indo. Would love him to stay but let's not kill the cap and future doing it.
    Tino’s situation isn’t about just one player. He’s our future club and state captain. His decision will also influence where Let’s Go Brandon ends up. Likely Fifita too at the end of his contract. Tino’s signature is about more than just keeping a good player. It’s about influence and credibility.

Tino’s situation isn’t about just one player. He’s our future club and state captain. His decision will also influence where Let’s Go Brandon ends up. Likely Fifita too at the end of his contract. Tino’s signature is about more than just keeping a good player. It’s about influence and credibility.
    It may influence Tino or Tino may influence Brandon, who really knows, do they have the same agent? Fifita leaving at the end of his contract is a possibility no matter the outcome. I doubt he'll be offered another million a year to stay so if the Dorphins want to pay close to 3 million for three forwards then so be it. If we're going to lose them then make someone pay for them.

I really hope Tino stays.

It wouldn't be a good look for one of the Dolphins marquee to cut the heart out of a local rival team.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

If Tino leaves like this now imo he'll make Garth Brennan and dce look like club legends

Rep Player

Blayke Brailey off the market now. Still don’t understand why McInnes went there but maybe if we miss out on Smith we can try having a crack at him. Don’t rate our chances though.

Blayke Brailey off the market now. Still don’t understand why McInnes went there but maybe if we miss out on Smith we can try having a crack at him. Don’t rate our chances though.
    Won't happen. He went there knowing exactly what role he would play and that included with Brailey being there

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Won't happen. He went there knowing exactly what role he would play and that included with Brailey being there
    Yep but that was before Finucane signed

Yep but that was before Finucane signed
    That's true, but I'm still doubtful it would even be an option

Targeting someone contracted is hard enough in itself, let alone recruiting a youngish player from Sydney with no ties to SEQ

If he becomes available then for sure he'd be a great target but a lot would have to happen to even get to that stage

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    That's true, but I'm still doubtful it would even be an option

Targeting someone contracted is hard enough in itself, let alone recruiting a youngish player from Sydney with no ties to SEQ

If he becomes available then for sure he'd be a great target but a lot would have to happen to even get to that stage
    Yeah you’re right, it’s just wishful thinking (see: desperation) on my part.

First Grader

latest on Tino

Mal Meninga and Wayne Bennett are on a collision course over Tino Fa’asuamaleaui with the Titans culture chief issuing a hands-off edict to the Dolphins in the fight for the Queensland Origin star.

Dolphins super coach Bennett has ramped-up his pursuit of Fa’asuamaleaui, but Meninga, who lured the forward sensation to the Titans from Melbourne, has backed Gold Coast’s culture to keep the Maroons young gun at Parkwood.

Meninga and Bennett famously butted heads in 2016 when the pair both applied for the Australian job, with Meninga winning out, prompting Bennett to oppose him on the international stage as England coach.

Now the Queensland icons face another battle of wills in the bidding war for Fa’asuamaleaui, who has fielded offers from both the Titans and Dolphins worth in excess of $800,000 a season.

Meninga has previously flexed his muscle to poach not only Fa’asuamaleaui, but David Fifita from the Broncos, and the NRL Immortal insists the Titans cannot be complacent in the fight for Big Tino.

“We can’t control if they (Dolphins) want a player like Tino, but if we do the right things as a club, Tino will want to stay,” said Meninga.

“Retention is really important for us. We brought Tino to the Titans from Melbourne because we see him as the future.

“It is what it is. All clubs have to accept the reality the Dolphins will be coming for our players and we believe we are prepared at the Titans.

“We can’t stop players talking to the Dolphins or other clubs through their managers, but we need to have a strong system to counteract that.

“I would like to see Tino stay loyal, but loyalty starts at home sometimes and he is from that region north of Redcliffe (Fa’asuamaleaui hails from the tiny town of Widgee near Gympie).

“But Tino understands what we are about at the Titans and I believe we can provide the right culture of performance to keep him.”

News Corp understands Meninga is set to prevail over Bennett again, with the Titans tipped to edge out the Dolphins to keep Fa’asuamaleaui at the Gold Coast on a $3.3 million deal until the end of 2026

But Bennett is refusing to give up the fight.

The 71-year-old needs some marquee talent to attract other players for the Dolphins’ foundation season in 2023 and he forged strong ties with Fa’asuamaleaui last year, handing the 21-year-old his Origin debut in Queensland’s fairytale 2020 series win.

Fa’asuamaleaui’s manager admits the 107kg hulk is “torn” between the attraction of being mentored by Bennett and his desire to turn the Titans into a consistent finals force.

Meninga initially expressed concerns over the impact of a second Brisbane team on the Titans, but he now believes a fourth Queensland franchise will challenge the Gold Coast to get better.

“It’s excellent for the game and very deserved to see a second Brisbane team,” he said.

“This expansion move will put a bit of pressure on all the other clubs, particularly the Queensland clubs, so we have to get our act together and make sure our governance, administration and football department are spot on.

“Improving the individual and their personal growth is important to us.

“A second Brisbane team will keep more Queensland kids in the state which is a great thing. The Dolphins are kicking off with the greatest coach of all-time and it will be interesting to see how Wayne Bennett puts together his roster.

“The northern corridor of Redcliffe, Sunshine Coast and Wide Bay region desperately needs more attention and another NRL team will cater for that area. There is a heap of talent in that region.

“Clubs have to get their own backyard in order through their front office and making sure everyone is up-skilled. We have to do better in the way we manage our programs and if we do that, players like Tino will want to stay at the Titans.”
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 18-11-21 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks for sharing the articles so promptly WD, doing god's work