Page 49 of 143 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 59 99 ... LastLast

Fox reporting the Dorpins offering Tino 5 or 6 years … we could be in trouble there.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Fox reporting the Dorpins offering Tino 5 or 6 years … we could be in trouble there.
    We are in trouble

Wayne Bennett might be about to once again take our best player and this time he could add salt to the wound by convincing our top recruitment target to join him

Im like you HS we are in big trouble Tino and Smithy will be their first two marquee signings. Bloody shame that they came back in as without them we would have both at the titans

First Grader

If Tino goes, then I suspect Fifita will go the following year. It is so important for the Titans to keep Tino

5 OR 6 YEARS, you'd be crazy not to take it, especially if the money is better too. Lock it in for your future.

Rep Player

If the duration of the contract is the issue rather than the salary surely we match or beat it.

First Grader

I would say Tino is waiting until Brandon makes his decision. If he goes to the Dolphins I would say Tino will be gone. If Brandon goes to either us or the Roosters I would say there is more a likelihood Tino will stay.

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    If the duration of the contract is the issue rather than the salary surely we match or beat it.
    I'm not keen on that. 5 or 6 year contracts for a forward aren't a good investment. Too much wear and tear on the body.

We may have dug ourselves a hole with Fifi contract unfortunately.

Rep Player

Tino is one player who is worth it imo. He’s our Taumalolo.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Tino is one player who is worth it imo. He’s our Taumalolo.
    Agree 100%. He must be retained at all cost. Even a 6 year deal, Tino will still be only 27 or 28 and still in his prime

I think he will stay

Horrible … Tino long contract and big money, Smith and space for the kid brother too = horrible+
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

First Grader

CM

The Dolphins have turned up the heat on the Titans in the battle for Tino Fa’asuamaleaui with super coach Wayne Bennett holding talks with the Queensland Origin star.

News Corp can reveal Dolphins foundation coach Bennett has entered negotiations in a bid to convince the Titans enforcer he blooded as a Maroon to be the marquee poster boy of Brisbane’s new second team in 2023.

But the Titans remain hopeful they can trump the Dolphins in a big-money bidding war, with the Gold Coast having tabled a four-year upgrade to Fa’asuamaleaui worth $3.3 million.

The Dolphins are the front-runners to secure the signature of Melbourne hooker Brandon Smith and they believe Fa’asuamaleaui would be the perfect addition to spearhead the 17th NRL team’s engine room.

While Fa’asuamaleaui is tied to the Titans until the end of 2023, he has an option in his favour in the final year, giving him the contractual scope to join the Dolphins in their inaugural season.

The 21-year-old is expected to make a definitive call within a fortnight. His manager says the Titans have the inside running, but revealed Fa’asuamaleaui is seriously weighing up the Dolphins.

“The Dolphins have expressed interest in Tino,” said his agent Simon Mammino.

“Both clubs are attractive, so it’s a really tough one ... Tino is pretty torn.

“If they can retain Tino, it will be a huge statement for the Titans.

“I think he is leaning towards staying but the chance to be coached by Wayne and be closer to his family in Gympie is a definite consideration.”

It is understood the Dolphins’ offer to the premiership forward is comparable to that tabled by the Titans, giving the Gold Coast confidence they will not be beaten on money.

The Redcliffe-backed franchise is hoping Bennett can be their trump card. The NRL’s greatest coach gave Fa’asuamaleaui his Origin debut last November and the pair forged a bond as the front-row rookie played a starring role in Queensland’s famous 2020 triumph.

But Fa’asuamaleaui also has strong ties at the Titans.

The 107kg powerhouse joined the Titans last season after winning a premiership at Melbourne and Big Tino played a key role in convincing his good mate David Fifita to quit the Broncos to play alongside him on the glitter strip.

“I’ve never met a player who doesn’t love being coached by Wayne and that’s a credit to Wayne as a mentor of men,” Mammino said.

“Tino had a great relationship with Wayne in Origin last year, but the Titans have been excellent for Tino.

“He has always enjoyed playing for the underdog and he is excited about the challenge of turning the Titans into a premiership contender.”

Titans coach Justin Holbrook believes Fa’asuamaleaui can be a future captain if he stays loyal to the Gold Coast.

“We’d obviously love to keep him,” he said.

“We love how much he’s bought into the club. He will only be 22 next year but he is such a natural leader with his actions.

“He’s only had one year here but has really bought into not just his own ability, but how much he wants our whole team to improve.

“He has become really invested in such a short time. That’s what I love about him.

“As a coach, I’d definitely love him to stay long-term. Hopefully we can make that happen.”

I'm in the minority here, but if he's contemplating the Dolphins on a big money long contract let Tino go there. Yes he is a great player who has a big potential, but so does Mo, Fifita, Fermor, we shouldn't be tying up so much big money in the forward pack (give me 8 McIntyres over 1 Tino anyday of the week).

In hindsight I wish we had accepted Melbournes offer to trade back Tino for Brandon Smith, that would have solved our probs and kept a $m in the bank to stockpile any weaker positions.

If Tino doesn't want to be a titan he can piss off, there will just be some new emerging young talents next year anyways for every club to chase.

Thinking about it more, I'm actually not that phased if we lose Tino....I just don't enjoy the whole Titans losing face scenario and the extra instability it brings to the squad