Page 48 of 143 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 58 98 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    The broncos have come out saying they can't match any of the current offers, so I think it's unlikely with their salary cap, they've signed Reynolds and Capewell + upgraded some of their aspiring players.

Cowboys also sacked Smith in U20s then re-signed him from Qcup later on. I am not sure how close he is with Tod Payten, but you could arguably say if his parents are in Brissy, Nth Qld isn't the most convenient to pop in and see them compared to the other qld teams.

I think Dolphins could be the one to be wary of as he could be one of their poster boys, they're apparently offering the most $, they've got Wayne Bennett who players want to play for and they are close to Brissy. In saying that The Dolphins don't have a ready made roster so there is a major risk with any players signing there, like I would imagine you would want to play on a team you believe can push for finals and already have mates there.

That's where the Titans come in because we know he is already friends with Tino and Fifita which is a tick, we are still apparently the second biggest offer $, we are close to his parents at Brissy, we made the top 8 which really helps our case and we do have a team full of young talent which have a lot of potential.

The Roosters is a dark horse, it just depends if he wants to be in Sydney or Qld really, and how soon he expects to be a part of a premiership winning team, I also think they are not willing to offer as much (they do have some good up and coming 9s) and they just extended Manu.

I think its fair to say Titans and Dolphins are probably favourites to sign him, especially with Storm being based in qld during covid + parents in Brissy.
    Thanks for the thorough response.

The broncos have come out and said they aren’t after smith.

Does anyone know if there's a deadline for Tino to make his decision re whether he's staying or not? The wait is absolutely killing me.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 13-11-21 at 05:17 PM.

Tino deadline next November by my understanding.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Tino deadline next November by my understanding.
    damn wish it was sooner
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 14-11-21 at 02:27 AM.

They've been trying to seal the Tino extension for the past month or so but clearly something is stopping him from committing. Wayne Bennett and the pull of big $$ at the Dolphins is a genuine threat

First Grader

Praying that him and Brandon aren’t praying to go there together

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...t3wV_dtWAQ_CIs

DOLPHINS CONFIDENT THEY’RE LEADING SMITH RACE

Brandon Smith is expected to make a call on his future in the next couple of weeks and the Dolphins believe they could be the lucky winners, according to News Corp.

Smith is the hottest name on the market at the moment. He comes off contract at the end of 2022, meaning he’s free to negotiate with rivals for 2023 and beyond.

The Storm tabled him a three-year extension, but it wasn’t enough to convince the 25-year-old to sign on the dotted line and instead he began talks with several other clubs.

The Kiwi international was spotted in Townsville earlier this month, suggesting a possible meeting with the Cowboys. Then he was seen with Titans officials and then at the Dolphins’ League Club on consecutive days.

He will reportedly meet with the Roosters on his way back to Melbourne before making a decision.

Despite the stiff competition, Dolphins recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan is confident his club is in the lead at the moment — and said coach Wayne Bennett has played huge role so far.

“I’m not saying we are definitely going to get him, but I think we have our noses in front,” he told News Corp.

“The Titans will think they are in front and I’m sure the Roosters will also think they are in front.

“We’ll find out in the next week or so who ends up in front.

“The money has stopped now so it’s a matter of where Brandon wants to go.

“Wayne is a huge factor in getting Brandon. I had a meeting with a manager the other day and he said I wouldn’t be meeting you if it wasn’t for Wayne Bennett.”

According to the report, the Dolphins are willing to pay Smith around $900,000 a season, which is understood to be higher than what the Titans and Rosters can offer.

Good to see Mal is doing what he's paid to do.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post

Brandon Smith is expected to make a call on his future in the next couple of weeks and the Dolphins believe they could be the lucky winners, according to News Corp.

Smith is the hottest name on the market at the moment. He comes off contract at the end of 2022, meaning he’s free to negotiate with rivals for 2023 and beyond.

The Storm tabled him a three-year extension, but it wasn’t enough to convince the 25-year-old to sign on the dotted line and instead he began talks with several other clubs.

The Kiwi international was spotted in Townsville earlier this month, suggesting a possible meeting with the Cowboys. Then he was seen with Titans officials and then at the Dolphins’ League Club on consecutive days.

He will reportedly meet with the Roosters on his way back to Melbourne before making a decision.

Despite the stiff competition, Dolphins recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan is confident his club is in the lead at the moment — and said coach Wayne Bennett has played huge role so far.

“I’m not saying we are definitely going to get him, but I think we have our noses in front,” he told News Corp.

“The Titans will think they are in front and I’m sure the Roosters will also think they are in front.

“Wayne is a huge factor in getting Brandon. I had a meeting with a manager the other day and he said I wouldn’t be meeting you if it wasn’t for Wayne Bennett.”

According to the report, the Dolphins are willing to pay Smith around $900,000 a season, which is understood to be higher than what the Titans and Rosters can offer.

It is a bit of a nothing story saying the Dolphins think they are in front. It does not mean that they will get him as quite a lot of players have already rejected the Dolphins.

You not rate Mal's recruitment efforts during his tenure JB? I reckon he's had a pretty good strike rate for a part-time consultant-ish thingy

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    You not rate Mal's recruitment efforts during his tenure JB? I reckon he's had a pretty good strike rate for a part-time consultant-ish thingy
    I think it sets a pretty bad example in a workplace when an officer gets to "work from home" have several other jobs on the side and to this stage for the last year hasn't produced darn skippy.

I think it sets a pretty bad example in a workplace when an officer gets to "work from home" have several other jobs on the side and to this stage for the last year hasn't produced darn skippy.
    Yeah, my biggest issue with it is how they portrayed Mal's role with the club. He's not a full-time employee. He's a part-time consultant that they ring in every so often to fulfil different duties, and it's not a gig that would require him being at Parkwood very often at all.

Regardless, personally I'd rather have him in that capacity than not at all. Our recruitment drive over the past 2 years has been pretty solid and I think he deserves some of the credit. Fermor for example: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/07/...to-the-titans/

Yeah, my biggest issue with it is how they portrayed Mal's role with the club. He's not a full-time employee. He's a part-time consultant that they ring in every so often to fulfil different duties, and it's not a gig that would require him being at Parkwood very often at all.

Regardless, personally I'd rather have him in that capacity than not at all. Our recruitment drive over the past 2 years has been pretty solid and I think he deserves some of the credit. Fermor for example: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/07/...to-the-titans/
    This forum doesn't draw evidence based conclusions, we rule purely on emotive responses and I believe Fermor came here to be closer his no 1 fan.

Most of the games great players don’t have full time jobs. They are celebrities who float around the game and offer there services. I doubt Mal, Tallis and Andrew johns want or would be suited to working full time. They are ex footy players who love the game and are very rich so don’t need to grind. They work for passion , preventing boredom and friendships. I think having mal and Tallis has been great for a young club who doesn’t really have any greats who identify with the club. We have lafranci working for us but he doesn’t have the same aura and media presence. Not that boofs not useful or valuable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Titans83 View Post
    Most of the games great players don’t have full time jobs. They are celebrities who float around the game and offer there services. I doubt Mal, Tallis and Andrew johns want or would be suited to working full time. They are ex footy players who love the game and are very rich so don’t need to grind. They work for passion , preventing boredom and friendships. I think having mal and Tallis has been great for a young club who doesn’t really have any greats who identify with the club. We have lafranci working for us but he doesn’t have the same aura and media presence. Not that boofs not useful or valuable as well.
    How much would it cost to send Andrew Johns in to the judiciary to fight for us instead of Mal?

How much would it cost to send Andrew Johns in to the judiciary to fight for us instead of Mal?
    I remember a while back that mal said he had never lost a case at the judiciary. Which seems hard to believe now.
    Who really knows how much mal does behind the scenes and if it’s a good deal. I do think that the titans need clout and respect. Mal has both of those and it does rub off onto us in a small way.