Page 128 of 143 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 138 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 2136

Fermour better be starting on the left edge this week even Stevie Wonder can see that's where he plays best and it's not gonna make a difference where fifita is. Big Mo and Jolliffe have gone backwards this year too

Quote Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
    The probable recruitment of Verrills is a positive and strengthens an important spine position. However, in my view, there is only one question to be asked of Coach Holbrook with respect to 2023 season…….ARE YOU WILLING TO BACK YOUR JOB AND COACHING CAREER ON THE SUCCESS OF TOBY SEXTON?? He is the weak link in the chain and while it can be argued that he has played behind a beaten pack many times this season, it is unquestioned that he is slow, robotic and less than a threat to the opposition ( excepting for attacking kicks). It doesn’t matter what we do with hooker and No.6, if the 7 is not up to it, we will not climb out of the hole. Personally, I hope Shallin Fuller has a big pre-season.
    Ok so here’s my head cannon re sexton, we sit him down and let him know as a club we did him wrong with all the spine shuffles and injuries. We have the plan for the future. He is going back to tweed qcup for 2023 to develop the future titans spine.

1. Degroot
    6. Weaver
    7. Sexton
    9. Bryant

Tell him this is his chance to develop with our future titans pathways and we can see from afar how it works in a less pressurised environment

Squad spine can be Campbell brimson Foran booth with Boyd at 14

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Year Contract View Post
    Verrills is the absolute sort of signing we should be making. I rate him on of the best remaining hookers on the market and if he can stay healthy will instantly improve us. These are the sort of signings we should be making.
    Not saying it's a bad signing but we should not be signing anyone until a new coach is appointed and they have their say

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    Not saying it's a bad signing but we should not be signing anyone until a new coach is appointed and they have their say
    Gotta disagree mate, Verills is the best option available by far and it would be dumb of us to sit around when other clubs are interested in him. Even saw Penrith fans on social media saying they’re disappointed to miss out on him. Would be ridiculous for any coach to not be happy with him over the other potential options

If Holbrook was definitely going (which he isn't yet, sorry Ravs), then I'd say Rav's suggestion has some merit for certain roster bodies for sure. But when he isn't and you've got a glaringly obvious gap in an important position for a starter, and a quality player within your means (salary) like Verrills becomes available through asking for a release, and he's better than any off-contract options...you've simply got to have a crack in that situation, it's common sense
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 02-08-22 at 05:57 PM.

First Grader

Agree that signing Verrills is a no brainer irrespective who would be coaching.

Yes I'll yield on this one but run it past Flanno first

NRL market watch: Gold Coast Titans lining up rich deal to tempt Dragons star Ben Hunt
    The Titans are set to make a big-money play for Dragons and Maroons star Ben Hunt, but they face stiff competition to secure the in-form halfback.
    Dean Ritchie
    Dean Ritchie
    Follow
    @BulldogRitchie
    2 min read
    August 3, 2022 - 6:00AM
    News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Gold Coast has started a shock big-money pursuit of St George Illawarra and Queensland star Ben Hunt.
    The Titans — along with five other NRL clubs — are working on lodging a rich deal for Hunt from 2024 after his $1m-a-year contract expires at the Dragons.

And in another massive twist, News Corp can reveal Gold Coast have discussed Hunt moving to Robina from next season.

Gold Coast have been making direct inquiries about Hunt as the club builds a substantial package for the Maroons champion.

It is known Titans chairman Dennis Watt is a massive Hunt fan from their days together at Brisbane.

The Dragons are aware of Gold Coast’s interest in Hunt, who scored the matchwinning try for Queensland in the State of Origin decider this year in Brisbane.

Hunt is particularly close to Dragons coach Anthony Griffin, who will ignore pleas and refuse to allow his star halfback to leave a season early.

The Dragons remain supremely confident Hunt will spurn all interest and re-sign. Hunt has not indicated he wants to depart Saints a year early.

Gold Coast cannot formally lodge an offer for Hunt until November 1 given he has another season at St George Illawarra.

Hunt’s possible defection could give Gold Coast a halves pairing of Hunt and Manly’s Kieran Foran.

Hunt, 32, is among the favourites to capture this year’s Dally M Medal – the highest individual accolade in rugby league.

Given his age, Gold Coast could secure Hunt on a slightly reduced deal. There could be other incentives for Hunt in the Titans offer.

Other NRL clubs are also readying for a shot at Hunt. St George Illawarra is trying to lock Hunt down before he becomes a free agent on November 1.

By joining Gold Coast, Rockhampton-born Hunt would be returning home to Queensland. The Titans are acutely aware their club requires some leadership and experience in their spine.

It is unknown whether Gold Coast’s interest would wane if the club cannot secure Hunt for next season.

Griffin wants Hunt for next season – and beyond. The Dragons hope Hunt will stay long-term and help develop rising young halves Junior Amone and Jayden Sullivan.

St George Illawarra won’t simply allow Hunt to walk away. Just last Thursday, Hunt and Dragons officials met to discuss a contract extension until the end of 2025.

The talks were described as “extremely positive”.

“We have started the process to extend Ben, and we’re very hopeful we can keep him at the club long-term,” St George Illawarra chief executive Ryan Webb said last week.

“He is an important person on the field and has a tremendous impact off it.”

Despite talk of a possible backflip, Foran has committed to his two-year deal with Gold Coast from next season.

Amone is poised to sign a new deal at the Dragons, rejecting interest from the Dolphins. His current contract expires after 2023.

Hunt played hooker for the Maroons this series but would be used primarily as a halfback if signed by Gold Coast.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...59ecdea4536d7b
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

We’re becoming a retirement village and still failing to build a passionate club.

Signing 32 year old Hunt at $1.1 million a year would be textbook Titans. The bloke is having a good year but he also goes through form slumps that last seasons at a time.

He's also got a reputation as a big game choker, though admittedly he seems to have improved somewhat in that facet.

Hard pass at marquee money please.

First Grader

I suppose the positive is that the Titans are looking to recruit an established no.7 rather than blindly go into next season with what we currently have which is sub standard.

I think that Hunt if the signing is possible would be great. We don't want a half that will be in the position long term. IMO we need one that will see us through the next 2/3 years until the likes of Weaver / Sexton and any other young halves we have in the system to get another year older and hopefully wiser. I think that its a real long shot to happen but I'm happy for it possibly happen. Could he bring his mate McCollouch as well ?? He would help our young hookers come through as well. Yes a bit busted but we could get him cheap ..
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Not biting too hard on that article which seems a bit speculative, but at face value that kind of money taking Ben Hunt into his mid 30's me no likey

I'm a fan of Hunt as a player but look at the Dragons results over the last few years. I don't think he raises the quality of those around him enough to justify that price tag and he's not going to catapult us into the 8. From what I've seen, most Dragons fans are unhappy with re-signing him on his current deal.

We need to build a more balanced roster and investing that portion of the salary cap into Ben Hunt isn't the way to do that IMO

No to Hunt as we’ve got Foran … would take Verrills … not sure that we need too much more than excellent support staff.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I'm not really buying this much either, the club seems to be more tight-lipped on the recruitment front in the past couple seasons (ignoring Fifita obviously), with most of our signings coming out of nowhere.

Foran alone is enough, keep pathways open for Sexton and Weaver etc.