Page 113 of 143 FirstFirst ... 13 63 103 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 123 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 2136

Hell no to Lachlan Lam. He's looked terrible every time I've seen him play for the Roosters.

There's a lot of Tanah Boyd about him.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Shows that the club is recognising that changes need to be made.
    The NRL is child's play when compared to the US sports, it is brutal over there. The NRL players and staff are, for the most part, reasonably secure in their jobs in comparison.
    Wow, that sounds like gladiatorial combat.

One thing I think the Titans really are starting to suffer from is damage to our brand to players (And fans of course). In terms of people not wanting to be involved in a basket case and spend valuable career years at such a club. That's why I am a supporter of a 'controlled demolition' if necessary. So staff changes that end with the coach if necessary. Obviously, assistants first.

On the other hand we should be flexing some 'soft power' and promote the fantastic lifestyle of SEQLD and the Gold Coast to players.

We have been consistently up there in Player Polls on NRL.com and the old RLW as a preferred destination.[

Q: 2020: If you had to leave your club which team would you sign to? LINK

20% Broncos
    17% Storm
    11% Roosters
    10% Titans
    6% Dragons
    6% Manly

The Gold Coast Titans have traditionally struggled to attract big name players but they’ve finished fourth of all clubs. Perhaps the lifestyle and weather is an attraction to players. Some of the Sydney competition giants didn’t even feature in the top 10.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

First Grader

CM

TITANS RECRUITMENT PANEL UNDER PRESSURE

Titans performance chief Klint Hoare has become the first scapegoat of the Gold Coast’s crash as club bosses defended the recruitment decisions that have sent them into wooden spoon contention.

Fitness head Hoare was sacked this week with the Titans sitting last on the ladder after 15 rounds in what’s been a disastrous year.

At the crux of the Gold Coast’s free fall has been a questionable spine backed by coach Justin Holbrook that was destined to fail in 2022.

The Titans released established halfback Jamal Fogarty and opted for rookies Toby Sexton and Jayden Campbell to go with the inexperienced Erin Clark and injury-prone Origin player AJ Brimson.

And it’s been nothing short of a shocking decision, with the Titans lacking leadership and structure on the field to guide a heavily stacked forward pack which chews up most of the club’s salary cap.

The Titans boast a cast of thousands on their recruitment panel including club owners Brett Frizelle and Darryl Kelly along with advisor Mal Meninga, recruitment chief Ezra Howe, football boss Anthony Laffranchi, CEO Steve Mitchell, chairman Dennis Watt and Holbrook.

How eight of them decided to go with this playmaking approach is remarkable, but Mitchell insisted it was a collective decision.
    Former Titan Jamal Fogarty.
    Former Titan Jamal Fogarty.

“We’ve got a young spine that we’re believing in and know in time it’s going to be a good spine, it’s a very talented young group,” he said.

“They’re being tested every week in the NRL arena and we’ve suffered some injuries.

“The recruitment piece has been the case now for the last three years. Justin works with Ezra Howe to look at our squad and where it is over years ahead.

“Then we go out and look at individuals and who we think might fit that piece. They have to fit a particular criteria. Then it comes to the recruitment committee to be discussed. It’s a fairly disciplined process.

“That was a decision we made as a club. The recruitment committee is a process and something we believe in. We are still on that journey.

“These young men need some time on the paddock. Between them they haven’t played a lot of NRL fixtures.

“This experience will make them better for it, but it’s a period of time where you have to have the patience to go through the journey.

“The entire club – our executive and footy staff – made a decision on it and it’s something we’re committed to. It wasn’t the sole decision of the coach.”

While Mitchell says they are backing the young spine, the club’s only 2023 recruit at this stage is ageing Manly playmaker Kieran Foran, whose lack of speed is a concern.

What a slow and cumbersome process which hasn't shown to produce quality outcomes.

Something that hasnt been raised todate is the fact that a number of high profile clubs have informal arrangements with player managers who recommend to their players to sign with a specific club. The players are offered to the club rather than the club having to go always go out and seek a player. You see that a lot of players have the same player manager at a club and whilst things can go pear shaped if there is a falling out between the club and player manager, overall I think it benefits the club if there are some informal arrangements in place as players are more likely to sign with a club recommended by the player manager particularly if the contract is similar between the competing clubs

I may be incorrect but I dont see this type of informal arrangement at the Titans and maybe something that the Board could proactively seek to improve the quality being offered to the club as our recruitment over the last few years has been ordinary at best and outright poor with some of the recruits in the past.
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 24-06-22 at 04:56 PM.

^^^
    Some of those quotes from Steve Michell, who I have met and have a lot of time for, are not good reading. If he thinks that spine in time is going to be very good, well god help us. In fact they have admitted their errors of judgement by signing Foran for next year. Using injuries is rubbish - Clarke, Sexton, and AJ have played enough footy this year for the average supporter to see it ain't working. Cjarke has never had it, and Sexton unfortunately never will. I'm in the minority I think, but for me AJ back to fullback, Foran at six, and the other two spots to be filled.
    Hopefully the quotes from Mitchell are just trying to support the coach, which in public I have no problem with. However if this is what they think privately, then we have a long wait.

Not by yourself MT … AJ at 1, Foran at 6 and recruitment for 7 and 9. Booth, Clarke, Boyd and Sexton meh. Maybe Fuller in 7.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    ^^^
    Some of those quotes from Steve Michell, who I have met and have a lot of time for, are not good reading. If he thinks that spine in time is going to be very good, well god help us. In fact they have admitted their errors of judgement by signing Foran for next year. Using injuries is rubbish - Clarke, Sexton, and AJ have played enough footy this year for the average supporter to see it ain't working. Cjarke has never had it, and Sexton unfortunately never will. I'm in the minority I think, but for me AJ back to fullback, Foran at six, and the other two spots to be filled.
    Hopefully the quotes from Mitchell are just trying to support the coach, which in public I have no problem with. However if this is what they think privately, then we have a long wait.
    I know I said I wouldn't post here anymore but screw it, if people don't like me then they can just put me on ignore and deal with it for all I care.

But in reply to your post, I'm not sure I agree with your take re Sexton just yet. I'm not sure if I'd say Sexton will never have 'it.'. He's showed glimpses of what he can do in brief patches this year, yet last week it sounded as though he was having an absolute shocker. I didn't bother watching the game but I did catch about 10 minutes of the second half on ABC Grandstand as I was driving to get dinner, Andrew Moore said, "Toby's 5th tackle options today, fair dinkum". But given he is only 21 and it's his very first fulltime gig in the NRL, thrown in there at the start of the year to somehow lead a bottom-4 team and learn for himself, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

To me it ultimately comes down to more piss-poor recruitment decisions which have been made yet again by a football club who appears destined to repeat the same mistakes over and over and over again. Who on earth apart from the true believers honestly thought this spine was ever going to be a serious competition threat this year? Who thought it was a good idea to fill the spine by throwing two young kids from the 20s into the deep end without having any experience next to them? Fogarty may not have set the world on fire but he WAS a senior head in this team and when he left we didn't even bother to make a play at anyone else to replace him with.

And the recruitment issue doesn't only stop at the spine; paying overs for Fifita has turned out to be a failure in my eyes, and once again we are a laughing stock to the rest of the competition for AGAIN paying overs for a 2RF which is absolutely no different to how we have in the past with guys like Shannon Boyd (FRF though) and Dave Taylor. They might help take you to a semi but so what? We want a premiership, and as long as the cap is being held to ransom by individual players who aren't worthy of the coin they're on (especially forwards) then that leaves us with much less to work with for the rest of the team. I'm not for one second saying Fifita is a BAD player but he is simply not worth the money we paid for him.

Yes, in recent weeks I have been very critical of Holbrook but I do also wonder whether the club outside of recruitment & retention + the coaches, have any sort of 'footy sense' at all? I say this since no coach since Cartwright has been able to consistently get the club at where it needs to be, and that hasn't happened since Searle/Cartwright days. I could be way off on this of course but I'm just throwing it out there.

Just my 2c.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 25-06-22 at 03:26 AM.

^^^
    Good post GT and keep posting.
    I would be delighted to be proven wrong with Sexton and I agree with just about all you said about recruitment. Perhaps your choice of words that players have held us to ransom is a little out but I know what you mean. Rather than hold us to ransom, we were stupid enough to pay it. From the article above it seems every man and his dog are involved in recruitment but unless our club is different to others, I'd say the coach has a massive say above anyone else. I hope that's the case because it's the coach whose neck is on the line, and Holbrook is definitely laying on the tracks right now.

Alick is playing real well as a middle for the Kumuls but can see how dangerous he would be as an edge backrower.

Also been really impressed by Laybutt for PNG. Been great in defence and has a booming kick like Burton. We could do a lot worse than him as squad depth and is only 26. Has played some hooker too, but mainly a half.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausphin View Post
    Alick is playing real well as a middle for the Kumuls but can see how dangerous he would be as an edge backrower.

Also been really impressed by Laybutt for PNG. Been great in defence and has a booming kick like Burton. We could do a lot worse than him as squad depth and is only 26. Has played some hooker too, but mainly a half.
    Yes mate his defence has been massive and while we're at it bring his brother as well.
    Last edited by RavShamrock; 25-06-22 at 08:25 PM.

WB GOT101. From the sounds of that article it may be the reason we miss out on so many players. By the time we get into a meeting to discuss what kind of font we should use in an email to said players manager they player has already signed elsewhere.

Young spine, give them time. Yeah we are in more trouble than we would like to think if they believe that to be the case.

Anyway, GT, what I have found around here is that some people vent on here, some people don't say diddly when the cards have been dealt and the hand has been played. Post what you want.

Can we please sign number 15 from PNG and from Fiji number 15 as well. I love how both have played.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    Can we please sign number 15 from PNG and from Fiji number 15 as well. I love how both have played.

And throw Lam in as well.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

First Grader

Alick was very good and played 70 straight minutes at lock. Did a lot of work in defence and had good footwork at the line as well as an i offload. Agree that he would better as an edge.

Lam was also very good with 2 tries, 1 try assist and his kicking game spot on. Could do worse than have him.

I'm with you. Get the cheque book out. I'm sure plenty of NRL and Super League clubs were watching. We a lack of player talent, IRL is more important than ever.

Well done to our Pacific internationals today.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Alick was impressive and will get better. I’d be signing Horne who looked sharp. I’ve watched Laybutt for years and that jersey seems to bring out his best. Lam is certainly better than anything we’ve got but that doesn’t say much.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Lam is definitely not the answer.