Page 88 of 143 FirstFirst ... 38 78 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 98 138 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 2136

I think Fogarty left because his deal with us was a minimum wage and Canberra offered NRL money for a half. He did what anyone would do in that part of their career and went and looked after himself. Only thing is we didn't have to release him but we have always been the "good" club with that sort of stuff

If Fifita leaves the Titans, how do they replace him?

Another day, another story circulated about Titan's marquee man David Fifita potentially moving away from the club.

Wayne Bennett has reportedly "confirmed interest" in one of the game's most damaging forwards.

Hardly a surprise given what Fifita can do on his day.

It seems as though Fifita has constantly been linked with a move away from the club ever since the day he signed his mega-money Titans deal.

Moved into the centres recently before being relegated to the bench, Fifita's impact has be inconsistent all season.

Perhaps this is a chance for the Titans to accept an "out" and move Fifita's reported eye-watering salary off their books to re-invest into problem areas?

Whether or not the Titans should jump at the chance or fight tooth and nail to keep their star, albeit underperforming, asset is a matter for another day.

Assuming that Wayne Bennett and the Dolphins do manage to lure Fifita up the coast, the Titans would need to move on... and quickly.

How do you replace a player who was brought to the club to lead the new era? A player who, on his day, can bust 15 tackles and score a try that few other players in the game can replicate?

Easily enough, funnily.

Here is how I can see the Titans not only covering the loss of Fifita but using the potential move as a positive moving forward.

1. Reinvest somewhere else and make do

Cameron Munster is off-contract at the end of 2023. So are Selwyn Cobbo, Jesse Ramien, Justin Olam and a host of other name star players.

David Fifita is currently on $1.1 million (reportedly). It would take something similar, or perhaps even more, to tie down their strike weapon.

That $1.1 million puts them in the hunt for Munster, a player who could completely change the outlook of the club right away.

Or it means they can lodge a serious run at Ramien and Olam, forming one of the game's most lethal combinations, with money to spare.

Yes, they lose Fifita but you offer me Munster for Fifita and I take that switch every day of the week.

I hear the screams. How do you replace Fifita though if you spend all the money allocated to him?

Simple; don't spend $1.1 million on a player when you can attract similar output for far less.

They don't have the match-winning potential of Fifita but Teig Wilton, Liam Martin and Shaun Lane are all off-contract.

Again, you offer me Olam and Liam Martin with an extra 100k left over to upgrade someone else, or Fifita... This is a club that needs an overhaul. The answer seems obvious.

2. Take a risk with a potential replacement right away

This is a big risk, and not something I would back personally, but would the Titans be willing to let Fifita go in 2023 with an early release?

They offer up their biggest name player to their new rivals in order to bring forward the needed rebuild. Fans won't like it but sometimes ripping off the band-aid works.

Releasing Fifita without a replacement lined up would be risky, at best, and could be catastrophic.

It's an option though.

Adam Elliott has unlimited potential but is easily distracted. I don't think that is unfair to suggest. The talent though, it's there.

Briton Nikora shows signs of exploding into the next level. It's only once every three to four weeks but it is there. Move him out of where is comfortable and perhaps you have the key to making Nikora a genuine star?

Ryan Matterson should have Origin jumpers in his past and future. For whatever reason he hasn't reached the level expected.

You back Matterson, who you could absolutely grab for less than half of what Fifita is currently on, and he could match Fifita's output.

Risky. Very risky! Value-wise though, I don't hate it.

3. Flash the cash

Contracts mean less and less with every given year. That's just the cold hard truth.

The Titans, if they don't sign Fifita to a contract extension, would be flush with cash. The high rollers.

What's to say they can't just replace Fifita with Angus Crichton?

The Dogs salary cap is reportedly busting at the seams. Viliame Kikau comes in and Tevita Pangai Junior, again on his day, is probably the closest potential replacement for Fifita.

If the Dogs were looking to offload their big money asset then the Titans have more than the money to pay full freight. I'm not sure many other clubs could match that.

A like for like replacement shapes as the most natural action although it likely lands the Titans right back in the same situation; with a big money second rower who is commanding cap that could probably be better spent elsewhere.

Angus Crichton is the only player I can name who can justify anywhere near that million dollar figure as a second rower. For the record, I would top out at the mid 7's but sometimes you need to overpay to get the deal done.

My guess is that the Titans would rather not lose Fifita and will play every card to fight off the advances of the Dolphins, but there are options.

It's certainly not the end of the world and I would argue that there are positives despite the looming, potential darkness.

Article from Zerotackle but it's an interesting read nonetheless.

Danny Wielder reporting Foran to titans for 2 years $750K

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    Danny Wielder reporting Foran to titans for 2 years $750K
    Wish we could get him right now give them ese ese

$375k per season.... I like that! How do we get this move to happen now, can we give them Isaako, Ese Ese, Wallace, Proctor, Masters?

I hope this deal is true and goes through. Would be great to have another leader on the field other than Tino (who is still so young).

If that's true, I'm a happy man. As others have said I'd be keen for a swap for sure! Ese Ese seems fair

He will be 32 when we get him. Hope it works out but I have concerns.
    Psmitty

Finally secured that 2011 premiership winning half from Manly!!

Main concern re Foran is him blocking Paul Turner's pathway potentially, although you could possibly run a Foran/Turner pairing with AJ at the back if Sexton isn't performing.

However he stabilizes quite a few issues fairly quickly IMO, pretty cheap too, can't be mad.

This would be my lineup of choice personally

1. Jamayne Isaako
    2. Greg Marzhew
    3. Esan Marsters
    4. Patrick Herbert
    5. Jojo Fifita (Dunedin)
    6. Paul Turner
    7. Kieran Foran (c)
    8. Moeaki Fotuaika
    9. Erin Clark
    10. Sam Lisone
    11. Kevin Proctor
    12. Joe Vuna
    13. Isaac Liu

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    He will be 32 when we get him. Hope it works out but I have concerns.
    Mate he’ll be fine he’s hardly been on the field for the last 5 years so fresh as a daisy

If he comes to play footy, all good. If he comes for a farewell tour we are screwed.

QLD Cup

Its a bit left field for me but his form this year has been good and like Benji maybe he can play some good footy till the end of career in a particular role.

The fact that Holbrook only sees it now that we need an older head in the spine is the biggest worry for me.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 07-05-22 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    I think Fogarty left because his deal with us was a minimum wage and Canberra offered NRL money for a half. He did what anyone would do in that part of their career and went and looked after himself. Only thing is we didn't have to release him but we have always been the "good" club with that sort of stuff
    Yeah, tough one to manage without it becoming an evil-Titans media circus etc

Foran comes with some risk but experience in the spine is clearly an urgent necessity, and importantly cost-effective experience that doesn’t completely dud our chances of improving other positions such as Hooker, or put too much pressure on the salary cap from a near retirement player (diminishing returns, increasing risk, short term projection on their contribution, pathway blockage etc).

Should’ve been addressed the moment Fogarty was let go but IIRC the market for halves was pretty dry especially for the desired quality and price point. For the price mentioned and given what our team needs, it’s a decent signing if he stays healthy. Would be a better move if it could happen immediately.

I find it interesting that somehow the media has gotten hold of this story. Our recent history has been silence until the deal is announced. Makes me question the truth of the story.

Manly Sea Eagles can’t compete with big bucks Titans throw at Kieran Foran

Kieran Foran is set to pull on yet another club’s colours with the Gold Coast Titans the latest to secure the services of the mercurial playmaker.
    Michael Carayannis
    and
    Phil Rothfield
    less than 2 min read
    May 7, 2022 - 3:00PM
    News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Kieran Foran’s second coming at Manly is over with the Sea Eagles star to join the Titans on a two year $800,000 deal from next season.
    Despite desperately wanting to remain at the Sea Eagles, the salary cap has squeezed the Kiwi international out of the club for a second time. Manly were only going to be able to offer the 31-year-old a cut-price one year contract.

Instead he has secured what could be his last contract in the NRL with the Titans to pounce. Foran will offer some much needed guidance to an inexperienced Gold Coast spine.

He played his 247th match for the Sea Eagles against the Tigers on Saturday afternoon.

In comparison the Titans spine named to play the Roosters on Saturday night had just 203 matches between AJ Brimson, Will Smith, Toby Sexton and Erin Clark. Injured boom fullback Jayden Campbell has played just 10 games.

Foran will take on a mentor role for the young Titans side and look to form a partnership with Sexton.

The Titans will be the fifth NRL club Foran plays for, two short of the record held by Blake Green, Darrien Doherty and Tyran Smith.

Manly threw him a lifeline on a two year deal worth about $500,000 – making him one of the poorer paid five-eighths in the competition.

Despite helping lead the Sea Eagles to a top four finish last year, the club’s tight cap position and the likely position switch of Josh Schuster from the backrow into the halves made it difficult for the club

and Foran to come to an arrangement.

https://twitter.com/mcarayannis/stat...8XJR7cJkX7bFwQ
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady